1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

October Chats

I guess its my turn to start **)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October Chats

In Response to October Chats:
    [QUOTE]I guess its my turn to start **)
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

When I saw the heading, I thought, "What is Icer going way back to the October thread to pull up?"  Duh, then I realized it IS October again!  Happy Fall.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, good!  If my photo of the pup slows down the other thread, no harm.  I had forgotten the date. 

October already....

I left my 12 year career (and job of 9 years at the second company of my career) a year ago Oct 10, a month before we got married and I became a housewife.  I feel like I went to bed one night and woke up in a dream that I hope no one ever wakes me from.

Last year at this time I was working, and by "working," I mean saying good bye to 100s of friends/coworkers, snooping on our wedding registry online, and making last minute wedding plans.  I was booked for 2 coffee runs and lunch every day.  Had the most wonderful going away luncheon where my dear friend and boss said the most beautiful things.  Got a huge gift from a collection taken that another friend had spent on the most thoughtful things.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: October Chats:
    [QUOTE]Oh, good!  If my photo of the pup slows down the other thread, no harm.  I had forgotten the date.  October already.... I left my 12 year career (and job of 9 years at the second company of my career) a year ago Oct 10, a month before we got married and I became a housewife.  I feel like I went to bed one night and woke up in a dream that I hope no one ever wakes me from. Last year at this time I was working, and by "working," I mean saying good bye to 100s of friends/coworkers, snooping on our wedding registry online, and making last minute wedding plans.  I was booked for 2 coffee runs and lunch every day.  Had the most wonderful going away luncheon where my dear friend and boss said the most beautiful things.  Got a huge gift from a collection taken that another friend had spent on the most thoughtful things.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Good morning Kar ...I think the photos may slow down the thread for some users, not all. I don't notice it on my computer but when I go to clean up Mom's computer or one of her friend(they are on the chat sometimes too) The pictures really slow down a thread for them. No worries

TT Good morning my cyber-friend...hope you have a grand day planned

Me, I am doing some work then I want to get this place ready for winter

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer,

Just went over to Brooksby's and got 1/2 bushel of Cortlands.  Girl behind me said, "Looks like there's some serious baking going on".  I bought 1/2 peck Wednesday and and fed my pigs over there 2, made 2 crisps,  so it doesn't take long for them to disappear.  Possibility of more company this week-end, and what better dessert this time of year than a crisp.

What are you getting ready for winter - the inside or outside of your house?  I'm waiting for the 80 temps forecast for next week to get out one day and wash off the siding that gets no sun and where green algae starts to form.  It's an easy job, comes right off, but I want a nice warm day to be playing around with the water.

Hope you had a productive day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That "third shoe" (so to speak) that I was waiting for, has dropped.  Oil burner won't go on this morning and it's a very chilly 55 degrees in here.  Those apples I bought yesterday will surely be baked into something in a few minutes, just to get the oven heat on!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, no, tt!!  You're going to have to bake all day!  Winter is here, or so it feels.  We're at 1000 feet so even colder than Worcester by 4 or 5 degrees.

Gracie is curled up in a ball in the very back of her crate snoring away.  I think she's depressed because DH has been away on business since Wednesday morning.  She mopes around the house stopping to wait for him at all the spots in the house where he tends to give her the most attention.  We've had her 3 months, now, and we're all very attached to each other!  Wish I could explain that he'll be home in 12 hours...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry to hear that tt. My house was 62 this morning and my fingers are frozen as I type this. I think a call to your oil supplier, will quickly take care of your problem and you will be toasty warm. However, there are things you could do yourself to get the furnace started - some of them are so very simple. If you call your oilman, make sure you watch what he is doing. I did that, when I was once alone home during a minus 10 degrees spell - and it saved me from a lot of activation later on.
    Speaking of oil - did any of you fill up your tanks yet? We are ready to buy 2000 gallons. Last year we paid over $4/gallon. Recently I have seen prices advertised for $2/gallon. If you bought heating oil recently, what is the going price right now?

[QUOTE]That "third shoe" (so to speak) that I was waiting for, has dropped.  Oil burner won't go on this morning and it's a very chilly 55 degrees in here.  Those apples I bought yesterday will surely be baked into something in a few minutes, just to get the oven heat on!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

All fixed.  A metal cone inside had broken and as a safety the furnace didn't go on.  I have a service plan, so no cost to me.

When I opened the front door, it's actually warmer outside than in my house!

Have a couple of errands to do then out to lunch.  Have a good week-end everyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yahoo, tt!  Cheers to being warm.  Winter weather gets me down, but I shouldn't complain.  We heat with the wood stove, mostly, and that is a nice, steady heat.  The forced hot air is hot when it's on, cold when it's not.  Ugh, and the dust.  It's what we're using right now, though, in this in-between phase.

I wonder how the pup will adjust to the wood stove.  I hope she doesn't have to get burned to learn what "NO!!  That's HOT!!" means. 

~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Ah yes the chill in the air, You can almost feel the snap to that winter brings.

We are getting the house ready by checking the new windows in the little addition, making sure no heat can escape. Also we will buy a cord of wood, We have a large stone fireplace and I  love a fire in the house. So warm and inviting.

I am also thinking we will sealcoat the driveways

Good news about your burner TT. I do love those maitenance contracts

MM ...2.00 per gallon!!! WHOO YA!

Icer out...but not for long

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have to jump in for a couple of minutes before shutting the computer off for the night.

Neighbor and I were out for the day, first to the Clam Box for lunch - and, Mothermitzi, take note:  We got there about 2:30 (very late lunch for me, but I had to see Y&R first!) and it was mobbed.  Long line outside, parking lot full.  We were so surprised to see it this packed, and were trying to figure out why the mob.  Decided that a lot of people were probably involved with the Topsfield Fair - it starts tonight, opens to the public tomorrow.  There was a lot of activity when we drove by the Fairgrounds, I suppose setting up and perhaps judging of some of the entries.  I checked to see how late in the season they (the Clam Box) stay open and it's December 15th.  Was surprised.

Icer, just a note, last year when G.T. was going to sealcoat my driveway, when  he went to buy the sealer, he was told the nights were too cold to do it after the first part of September, that it wouldn't seal properly - just FYI.

Have to share a most wonderful happening.  I am so amazed at the timing of this - My karma in giving the vintage clothes just a few days ago to the coworker I am so fond of, came back triplefold to me tonight.  When I checked the computer tonight there was the most beautiful email from my granddaughter (the very one who used to play dress up in the slips and peignoirs I gave away), telling me that she had been thinking of me, and that even tho her life was so busy right now with work, going to school for her Masters, doing an apprenticeship, she wanted me to know that some of her happiest childhood memories were at my house -baking, playing store, rooting around in my attic, playing dress up, holidays, Easter egg hunts, early morning breakfasts, and on and on, and that she wanted me to know that she loves me very much and misses our time together. 
    How can anyone doubt the power of Karma and how it connects us?  How blessed am I.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday Morning,

Watched a jogger go by in shorts and short sleeves, and had to open the back door to check for myself - what a change in the weather.  Temps will be really nice today.

My 9 year old grandson's family birthday celebration is this afternoon.  I had to laugh when I asked him if he could tell me something he'd like for his birthday.  I said, "You know, Nana doesn't do those video/computer games.  Can you think of something else you'd like?"  He said, "Yeah, you could get me a bag of candy" ! Seems his mother is on a Weight Watcher's Diet, and the huge jar of all kinds of wrapped candies has disappeared from the kitchen counter where it's always been.  I ended with a guitar sound card with some money in it (even tho I strike against buying those video games, I know that's what he wants and will use the money for), and a couple of small bags each of homemade choc chip cookies and mixed favorite mini candies.  Reminded me of when a now older grandson always used to ask for "mini sugar donuts" when I asked him what he wanted for his birthday!  He'll be there this afternoon, I'll have to ask him if he remembers that.
    We're just a "food oriented" family!  It's in the genes!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Good morning All my fellow Chatters.

Thanks for the sealcoating heads up TT. We will consider it.I also have to say ..I just loved your tale of your granddaughter...You are right"truly blessed" you are 

It is quite different weather today. Yesterday ,we figured we'd turn the heat on. I am glad we did because it seems that the older vents need to be bled. The new heat zones work great!

Now that the big stuff is out of the garage, Honey has room to tune up the cars.Whoo whoo!

Well I am off to see what task I will undertake today. Have a great day all!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone, looks like fall is giving us a few more days of warm weather. We haven't turned on our heat yet, but I am sure we will have to very soon. Another blanket at night and a fleece during the day time will do just fine.
    In fact yesterday we went for breakfast/brunch, and when we came home it was just too hot inside. Opened our kitchen sliders and sat on our deck all afternoon enjoying the wonderful smell of fall.
    I need to tell you all about a small gadget I bought. I am usually not one to go for those gimmick buys. But you know, how difficult it is to clean off the film inside your windshield? I used to use a wooden spoon with a micro fiber cloth wrapped around it. Not Great. And these days, when I leave my office the sun is lower and I just hated that film.
    I went to BB & B to look for something else and saw this gadget. A small 3 x 4 inch pivoting paddle with a micro fiber bonnet - $9 (and I had a 20% coupon). Let me tell you it works wonders.
    Have a busy day today. Going to see a nutritionist. Then later my guy is coming to turn off the sprinklers for the season. I also want to bake a batch of cookies to take to our son in PB. We will be going there Friday for the long week end. Glad I don't have to fly cross country anymore to visit him.
    You all have a nice day. Enjoy the warm weather as long as it is here. Love to all - Pingo

Ps. Have you gotten your pumpkins yet? I hear they are scarce this year in NE. There will not be enough to go around

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

"Speaking of oil - did any of you fill up your tanks yet? We are ready to buy 2000 gallons. Last year we paid over $4/gallon. Recently I have seen prices advertised for $2/gallon"...Pingo

I paid $2.39 last week in Boston, but if you buy 2000 gallons at a whack, you should get better than that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks easy! I just wanted to know the "ballpark". Usually we do get a break buying a large quantity, but last year no one would budge.
    [QUOTE]"Speaking of oil - did any of you fill up your tanks yet? We are ready to buy 2000 gallons. Last year we paid over $4/gallon. Recently I have seen prices advertised for $2/gallon"...Pingo I paid $2.39 last week in Boston, but if you buy 2000 gallons at a whack, you should get better than that.
    Posted by easydoesit2[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

My father's oil company wouldn't lock in a price again this season.  They agreed to set a ceiling cap of $3.39 per gallon.  Last Wednesday, the delivery price was $2.49 per gallon.  We'll hope for the best.  I'm glad I heat with gas. I spend half what my father does.  Of course, my thermostat is set a couple degrees cooler than his and his house is a bit larger than mine. 

Had a very busy weekend.  The last of my visitors left yesterday.  Saturday, I took them to the Stewart Gardner Museum.  I sat by the courtyard and read while they walked through the upstairs rooms.  I've been there many many times but never tire of seeing the courtyard and the seasonal plantings.  Sunday, we drove up to Ogunquit and walked along the marginal way.  Had dinner and drove back.  I may have one overnight guest this coming weekend.  It is my college reunion and several old friends will be in town. 

My cat is much better.  The hypoallergenic food seems to be doing the trick.  He is back to his old self again. Beautiful day today.  Guess we're in for some rain tonight and tomorrow though.  Should be ok to walk home tonight.  Take care everybody.

mothermitzi       

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Glad to hear your cat is feeling better now that the antibiotic has taken care of the infection, mothermitzi.

By the sounds of the rain it will be a good day to hunker down.  Plenty of stuff to do, may even do a little on one of those preprinted canvases I picked up at the Christmas Tree Shop.  Bought a summer scene a few years ago and put it up in my kitchen each summer.  From afar it looks as tho I've actually got some painting talent!

I haven't had any oil delivery as yet, but I do have my thermostat set at 60 now.  It's chilly this morning and I'd love to cook up some bacon and eggs, but just cleaned my stove yesterday and don't want to have to deal with the grease splatter.

Have an invitation to go leaf peeping with a stop in Hart's Turkey Farm this week-end.  Since I didn't get up there on vacation this year, I'll enjoy that particular scenic ride.

Hope those of you who can stay in today (Icer?) will.  The channel 4 weather this morning talked of possible snow Monday.  He didn't mean just the mountains either.  Say it isn't so!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Are you serious, tt? Snow this early? We are going to PB to visit our son this weekend. Flying back Monday. Would be nice, if we get stuck there due to a snowstorm (for me at least, but not so much for Mr. P) LOL.
    Need to go the Christmas Shop to check up those canvases. I think it is something I would like to do. I do paint (watercolors), but it s sometimes difficult to get the inspiration these days. Guess, I could do with the pre painted ones until it comes back - just love to sit down and "let the world go by".
    I stopped by our UPS a week ago to talk cats. The 3 kittens we have in our yard - that is. They told me, they had already started a collection to have them neutered/spayed. I donated a good chunk to that donation. We haven' t seen the kittens for a few days, so hopefully they are already "recuperating". Will check in w/ UPS again.
    I have been shopping at Hannaford a lot lately. And the more I go there and get used to the store, the better I like it. Their prices are really good. Bought a couple of steaks last week, and they were great. Very tender. Mr. P said it was one of the best steaks, I had cooked in a long time. Well, he actually does not have much to compare it with, since I hardly ever cook red meat at home anymore. But I was told to by my dietician, that I need to have more red meat in my diet. Otherwise I need to eat a lot of black beans, and you know, where that will get me.
    Nasty day out. Going to the office, even though I don't feel like it. But it is payroll week and I will not be there Friday - so I have not much of a choice.
    Whatever you and everyone else are doing, - don' t let the rain get you down.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Good mornin' all! I am hunkering in for the day. I have a ghoulish recipe or two to try out. I came up with one that is so easy, and if you don't mind also "tricky"

I'll be tuned into the chat though...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Are you going to share?  If it's sweets, you know I'm interested!  Had to freeze the rest of the tollhouse cookies this morning, because I ended up even having them for breakfast yesterday - absolutely no willpower at all.  Of course, I compensated by taking out of the freezer the container with some apple crisp in it!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Need to go the Christmas Shop to check up those canvases. I think it is something I would like to do."

They're in the kids toy department.  Most are canvases for kids, tho I was surprised to see that those are oil paints, I think, which I wouldn't give a kid to do.  I got the larger one, a door with decorative corn hanging on it - and that one is acrylic paints! - go figure.  I have a box of acrylics from crafts I used to do and those worked out fine in with the ones that came with the previous one I did. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Are you going to share?  If it's sweets, you know I'm interested!  Had to freeze the rest of the tollhouse cookies this morning, because I ended up even having them for breakfast yesterday - absolutely no willpower at all.  Of course, I compensated by taking out of the freezer the container with some apple crisp in it!
    Posted by toytrumpet

Ah yes,,, You are TT "A being after my own heart". Yes I will share the recipes...You know how my things go, quick..easy..and inexpensive. 

I will put up pictures too TT..One of the recipes is gonna be a winner..I can tell

I like to get my holiday stuff decided upon early...this way folks can do the gathering early too...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks tt for your "up" on this. Will go and take a look next week after coming back from PB.
    I do agree with you, that oil paints are not for the children. Just too messy (and flammable) - but maybe it would be a good thing for adults to do as gifts for children's rooms. Hmmmm! Maybe I am into something for my nieces and nephews children, who has every toy imaginable. Thanks again for the tip.