October Chats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: October Chats

You are welcome my friend! Truly, forget about becoming pregnant, enjoy your husband and Gracie - and it WILL happen (unless of course there are some medical reasons for not to, which I am sure, you must already have checked out at this point). You are not alone my dear. Hope you will let us in on the good news as soon as it happens. My prayers and best of luck!

In Response to Re: October Chats:
    Thank you dear pingo and tt.  Pingo, loved your Friendly's story; thanks for sharing your heart with me.  ~kar
    Posted by kargiver

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just had a call from a friend, that made me think of you, Icer.  She has collected the Building 54 (I think they're called) houses from all periods for all times of the year.  At holiday times some of the members of the club have open houses and yesterday she went to one in Gloucester, that was fully decorated in and out for Halloween.  Houses and set ups in every room, including a witch's broom that followed people around!  Thought that might be fun for your next Pizza/Pumpkin festivity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You are welcome my friend! Truly, forget about becoming pregnant, enjoy your husband and Gracie - and it WILL happen (unless of course there are some medical reasons for not to, which I am sure, you must already have checked out at this point). You are not alone my dear. Hope you will let us in on the good news as soon as it happens. My prayers and best of luck! In Response to Re: October Chats :
    Posted by pingo

Oh, yes, we are enjoying our family as it is.  Thanks for your prayers.  Of course, I will share any news!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Hello all,
    Checking in. The fall always makes me miss Boston most of all. I imagine the leaves are beautiful and the air is crisp. Would love to take a nice long walk and get a bowl of fisherman's stew before walking back.
    The busy season has started, although I have yet to see it reflected in my shop. It's okay though, because I'm not quite ready for a mass of orders. I'm ready to make them, but it's the label part that's causing me issues right now. The laptop which has the program on it has been having some difficulties with charging and getting power. Passing out Candy Corn Aloe Vera soaps to friends this week for fun. Enjoying my new pumpkin pie fragrance, too. Playing around with all the ways I can use it.
    Daughter is doing well. She's in kindergarten this year and loving every minute. She's friends with all the girls, even the ones I wish she wouldn't like that much. (The one that scared her away from going to the school's fall festival by telling her she would turn into a cockroach because there were going to be real witches there. - Just one of many lies my gullible daughter has believed from her)
    But all the others are very sweet. They all hug each other in the morning and challenge each other in learning.
    Husband is still working for a bank. The whole branch with the exception of one teller has or has had H1N1 in the last two weeks. Miraculously, due no doubt to quick quarantine, daughter and I have yet to get it. Mr. Circles is recovering nicely with just some bronchitis-type symptoms left.
    Ok, on to writing the payroll and other checks for the end of the month for my day job.
    Have a beautiful day!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Circles!!!

So glad to hear from you.  Pingo and I have wondered allowed how and where you've been and if your candle business is off the ground.  Hope your computer problems resolve soon.  Sounds like you might want to try a new power adapter/charger.  I suppose that's obvious. :)

Post some photos of your work if it's not too much trouble.  Would love to see the candy corn soap.  I thought you were just doing candles.

We got a puppy last June, and she's the light of our lives.  There are photos in the pets section under "How's the pup, Kar?"

Glad you're family hasn't brought the flu home.  I wonder how many people who think they have H1N1 really don't just have a regular flu, upper respiratory infection, etc.  I think it's more hype than anything, but glad you don't have whatever is going around the bank.

Thanks for checking in!

Blessings,
    kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh Circles --- so wonderful to hear from you. I was almost "blinded", when I saw your nom. We have all missed you so. Hope you will check in more often.
    Glad you and your family is doing well.
    You mention SHOP. Are you at the point in your business, that you have actually opened a shop? If that is so, I give you my heartfelt congratulations. No wonder you have not have time to be on the boards.
    But just for old times sake, please check in once in a while. We would all love to hear about your expanding business.
    And as always, my very best to you and your family - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all,
    Just came back from running around all day. Now sitting down with a glass of wine left over from Saturday. I am really not much of a drinker, but I thought it would be a nice addition to a relaxing time with you all.
    Besides, last night we went to see friends, and when leaving I fell down on their walkway. They have this sloping walkway with three long parts with one step on the first two, but two steps at the last one. And the funny part is, that the first two steps are lighted - but not the last one. It is completely dark and one would never know there are two steps - as one's mind has already adopted to the one step (sounds like a dancing lesson, doesn't it? One step, two step). I missed that last step. I was not hurt, as Mr. P grabbed me before I could fall really hard. But down I went, my pride was hurt the most. But after running round today, I do feel my right leg is very sore. Thus the wine to relax.
    tt, I finally made it to CTS. There were still some canvases, but there was only one of the one I really liked (the one with the pumpkins on the bench), but it had a hole in the canvas. The clerk told me they have  a lot more with different designs, but they have just not brought them out yet. I did get some other really good bargains though. A water bottle (with a cooler insert) Mr. P brings for tennis - and lost - one I paid almost $12 for at the sports store, I found for $1.99. Bought three. Two for his two days of tennis and one to loose. Ha!
    Ken, how is Mrs. Ken doing? I am so sorry, she is having such a hard time. That boot must be "killing" her. With her walker  it cannot be an easy thing to carry around. God bless her! And bless you for taking so good care of her.
    Kar, I do not subscribe to Cooking Light any more. I can find all their recipes on the internet. The recipe I used, I cut out a long time ago. Have made it again and again. One magazine I just love is "Cooking Illustrated". I got is as a Christmas gift from my son two years ago. It has no advertisements and a lot of techniques described. I used to subscribe to Real Simple and Living, but I found they got stale and kept repeating themselves. I also used to subscribe to BH&H. Same thing. Right now it is Good Housekeeping, Woman's Day (changed from Family Circle). When I get tired of those, I will change them around again.
    Better get going making supper. Picked up a Costco chicken, but I have to make some side and a salad.
    You all have a nice evening. - P

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Circles:
    So good to see you posting again. I like having another Arizonian on this board.

Pingo; Thank you for your kind words about the Mrs and Me.  Yes, we both will be glad when the boot comes off. That won't happen until a week from Thurs. I am glad to be able to care for her and help (ya I cooked a pork tenderloin tonight..Ok, she helped Smile). Hey, isn't that what spouses are for?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pingo, I guess I should get the CL recipes online for free, but I do enjoy the physical reading of this one.  I have a whole collection in the bookshelves, and I pay $15/2 yrs.

Ken, pork tenderloin is one of my favs.  I get them at BJs, so inexpensive but fresh and delicious.  Once I got a spoiled one from Trader Joe's, but they were nice enough to take it back.  Wow, that was soooooo nasty, and I was having company over that night, too!

I'm starving.  I could go for a nice, juicy pork tenderloin right this very minute.  I can almost smell it if I focus really hard...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Nice to see you post again Circles.

Pingo -  you are lucky you didn't get hurt!  That's all you need after recovering from your leg and shoulder.  Glad Mr. P was there lending a helping hand!

Ken, hope your wife is doing better soon.  I know how frustrating getting around in a walker can be (second hand).  My Mom uses one and it does make you realise how un-walker (and handicapped) friendly so many places are.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Princess, glad to see yours as well as Circle' s postings. Now, we just need putt to check in. Where is she? Hope all is well with her. It must be a year since her husband passed away - not an easy time for her. I wish her well.
    I know, I was lucky when I fell. There was a short stonewall, I barely missed hitting my head against. But I am truly fine. As I said, my pride was hurt the most. Laying upside down in front of a bunch of friends - is not the most desirable position. On a side note, everyone who saw me fall has called to see, how I am doing. Except for the owner of the walkway. I am certain, this unlit step must have bee a problem before, because he immediately said, "Oh, you must have missed the last step." Will I make a big thing out of this? Of course not.
    Very cool day out. But this is the time of the year, I love the most. All this crisp fresh air in your lungs, make you feel so refreshed. When my son comes home from Texas visiting, he dances around on our drive way taking it all in. "Oh, you beautiful cool air, how I missed you!" Can't wait for them all to come home for Thanksgiving.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can't imagine the overwhelming grief of losing DH.  He just drove away seconds ago for a business trip, and I miss him already.  I think about how he's older than I am and how statistically men go first.  Not that I obsess, but I do think of it same as I think of how, if Gracie lives her full lifespan, I'll be about 50 when she leaves us.

putt seemed to have it together, though, and I know she is doing well, moving ahead with her own life.  It would be nice to hear from her, though, for sure.

Tomorrow, I'll be running around like a mad woman doing errands while Gracie is being taken care of.  I haven't had a day to myself since June.  I'll be hitting Trader Joe's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Williams Sonoma, Bare Escentials, Whole Foods, and I'm even having lunch back in my old work stomping ground with a dear friend.  I took our lunches for granted when we could go any old time 'cause we worked together.  Now, it's a big deal.  At least the friendship itself hasn't changed. 

Living in the boonies has it's quiet benefits, but it sure does lack convenience.  It's going to be one expensive day tomorrow, especially if you count her $400 surgery.  Yikes...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    You are not the only one thinking "ahead". I do the same every morning, when I kiss my husband good bye (and hubby is 4 years younger than I). We even work together (part of the time) and see each other more than most couples do. Whenever he goes for his 2 - 3 weeks trips, I feel miserable.  One is coming up in December, and I am not thrilled about that already.
    I am glad for you, that you have a busy day tomorrow. Especially having lunch with friends. That should take your mind off Gracie for a while.  I don't know, how much shopping you will get done though, as your mind will be somewhere else. But don't feel bad, we all felt the same way, when we had to put our dogs through misery. Please let us know, how everything went. I expect a good report tmw evening. - P

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Dear.  How can we relate to each other so well, my friend?  So happy to have found you here.

I wish we could fast forward to tomorrow night when she is safe at home in her crate with her bunny tucked under her chin like always.  When that is the case, I'll be sure to let you know.

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just called and talked with my friend who has moved up here from Fla, to live with her son.  I had the unfortunate job of having to let her know of a long time friend of hers, much younger, who has recently had a stroke and is quite disabled at this time.  I hated to have to tell her, she herself has failed so since the move up here.  So disheartening to hear her weak voice.  I wish she were closer so that I could drop in and see her once a week or so, but I guess little cards and phone calls will have to be the vehicle to remind her what a special person she is.  She's always been such a vital person, it's hard to see her having failed so quickly.  I know she's missing her Fla friends and all the activities they were involved in - she even bartending at the Italian Club one night a week!  Hard to believe it's the same woman I spoke with today.  We never know - - - -

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, indeed, we never know.  I'm sorry about your friends.  I've been thinking about our mortality all day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, Kargiver, I guess it gets us all thinking.  This lady, whose family was grown and moved on by the time we moved next door with young children, was very close in particular to one of my boys.  I emailed him after talking with her today and his "young" reaction was one of "you should rescue her, Ma, and bring her to your house".  She naturally is cold here this time of year after 20 odd years in Florida temps, but my son's reaction was, "I don't understand how families can be like that, letting her be cold. You'll never have to worry about being cold with your boys, Ma."  Sweet, but I'm sure there really is no lack of caring on her family's part - her system just hasn't adjusted to the totally different changes in weather up here.  Unfortunately she is well along in her years (89) and probably was headed for the same health failure, had she stayed in Florida.  It's just that being out of her own environment where she drove, cooked, took care of her own place, was active with her peers, has heightened the downslide.  There, she pushed herself more, whereas here she has "her room" and that's the extent of her responsibilities.  We all need to keep as active as possible, and to feel needed in the scope of things.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

TT ,I am so sorry to hear of your long time friend, life is so full of ups and downs. We just need to recognize our ups and remeber those!

We have had soome pretty happy news here. We are Aunt and Uncle again. Our neice had a baby boy this afternoon. Mark is his name. Brother of Allison.

Also, on a Chat-news-worthy note. I made a batch of My Favorite Cookie Dough today, original submission of a Fireman's wife 1969. I like it to sit in the fridge overnight. I will be baking scary hand cookis for the neighborhood kids

Pleasant dreams chatter friends

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your son is good hearted, tt.  His naivete is endearing.  He'll learn someday; we all do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, just came home to read my "mail". What a sad post from you. You are always so upbeat, and a delight to be friendly with. So sorry to hear about your two friends. But you are right - even though your old neighbor's family care very much about her, she would still be cold at theirs or someone else's house. That is what follows age. My father was 86, when he last visited us and even though we were keeping (and suffering) the temperature in our house at a warm 78 degrees, he was still feeling cold. During the day he would love to sit on our deck and have a blanket wrapped around him, while the sun was baking good and well. And this was at the end of August mind you. I am truly glad my parents never came to the state, where we had to put them in a nursing home, while they were still alert. My mother was deteriorating rapidly while my Dad was alive. But he took great care of her. By the time he died, she was already well into Dementia or Alzheimer's as they now call it. So by the time we had to move her - it made no difference. In fact, we wish we had moved her much sooner. She "blossomed" at her new place and had a few good years there.
    Change of subject. I have been googeling bird feeders and think I found one similar to the one you described. Weight closes the seed holes. Plus few more, that sounds really good. One is called the Yankee Flipper. The squirrels try to sit on the perch and the fall off. Some of the websites even have short movies - and I had myself a few good laughs. Hopefully I will have one before it gets too cold. I also saw a pole, that not only had a hanger for the bird feeder, but also a ring with a bowl for water.
    Oh well, more googeling tonight. Have a good one - P

Yes, Kargiver, I guess it gets us all thinking.  This lady, whose family was grown and moved on by the time we moved next door with young children, was very close in particular to one of my boys.  I emailed him after talking with her today and his "young" reaction was one of "you should rescue her, Ma, and bring her to your house".  She naturally is cold here this time of year after 20 odd years in Florida temps, but my son's reaction was, "I don't understand how families can be like that, letting her be cold. You'll never have to worry about being cold with your boys, Ma."  Sweet, but I'm sure there really is no lack of caring on her family's part - her system just hasn't adjusted to the totally different changes in weather up here.  Unfortunately she is well along in her years (89) and probably was headed for the same health failure, had she stayed in Florida.  It's just that being out of her own environment where she drove, cooked, took care of her own place, was active with her peers, has hightened the downslide.  There, she pushed herself more, whereas here she has "her room" and that's the extent of her responsibilities.  We all need to keep as active as possible, and to feel needed in the scope of things.
    Posted by toytrumpet

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

TT ,I am so sorry to hear of your long time friend, life is so full of ups and downs. We just need to recognize our ups and remember those! We have had some pretty happy news here. We are Aunt and Uncle again. Our neice had a baby boy this afternoon. Mark is his name. Brother of Allison. Also, on a Chat-news-worthy note. I made a batch of My Favorite Cookie Dough today, original submission of a Fireman's wife 1969. I like it to sit in the fridge overnight. I will be baking scary hand cookies for the neighborhood kids Pleasant dreams chatter friends
    Posted by icer

So glad to read your "happy" post, Icer.  Thanks.  Congratulations on your new nephew.  Love the name. I remember I wrote you a poem around the time of the birth of Allison.

Halloween.  I hope I have more trick or treaters than last year, either 2 or 4, and that was it!  No kids at this end of the street, so I know parents would not allow little ones to take cookies from me, since they don't know me.  BUT, I will be making bats, cats and witches Friday, and decorating them with black and black and orange sugars and sprinkles.  Two local sons with kids will each get a batch on Saturday, and I'm sure there will be a few leftovers (or take out firsts) for the baker! - Reminds me to put their new pup's toy on my shopping list before I go over there.

Good to see you posting more often.  Chat later.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry, Pingo if my post was a downer, but I guess I was feeling badly after talking with my former neighbor.  There are a lot of years age difference between us, but she sort of took us under her wing when we moved here, adopting us, so to speak, as her own family - what with curtains and drapes she no longer used, baking extra cream pies for us, getting me out and off for a couple of hours without any kids.  Even she recognizes that this is a passage of life - I'm probably having a harder time seeing her go through it than she is.

Glad you have found some feeders than may fill the bill.  It's a big investment, so I can understand your taking your time to be sure you have the model that's right for your situation.  Just remember, once you start feeding them, you have to keep it up because they come to depend on you for food.  - Speaking of dependency, any signs of the kittens?

Have had a can of tonic to keep me awake tonight, there's a program on at 10:00 that I want to watch.  11:00 p.m. hasn't seen my open eyes for a long time. but I hope to make it tonight. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: October Chats : So glad to read your "happy" post, Icer.  Thanks.  Congratulations on your new nephew.  Love the name. I remember I wrote you a poem around the time of the birth of Allison. Halloween.  I hope I have more trick or treaters than last year, either 2 or 4, and that was it!  No kids at this end of the street, so I know parents would not allow little ones to take cookies from me, since they don't know me.  BUT, I will be making bats, cats and witches Friday, and decorating them with black and black and orange sugars and sprinkles.  Two local sons with kids will each get a batch on Saturday, and I'm sure there will be a few leftovers (or take out firsts) for the baker! - Reminds me to put their new pup's toy on my shopping list before I go over there. Good to see you posting more often.  Chat later.
    Posted by toytrumpet

Somehow I knew you would remember.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ladies and Ken,
    Lately I have had such a hard time to get on the boards. It is kind of hit and miss and when it finally decide to load, it takes forever. My contact at BDC told me they are aware of the problem, and hecticly try to solve it. The forum company says the problem is with BDC. BDC says it is with Puck - the forum company.
    However, I have found an easier way to get on. Instead of clicking on my bookmark, I go to Boston. com, then to Lifestyles and then to the Forums. So far that has been working. :)
    Icer, congratulations on the little new family member. How exciting for all of you. Love the name. It is such a strong old fashioned name. I am not so much for all the new, strange names the children have today. My neighbor's grand child was given the name Pikie. She was actually born on Mass Pike. As a nick name it would be fine, but imagine growing up with that name? Of course that child is not christened or baptized, I don't think a church would allow it. Well everyone to their own, but I truly think parents should think a bit ahead, when naming their children. tt, I am still looking for feeders, but I think I found a few I really liked. You are right it is a big investment, but the pleasure to see the birds is good for your wellbeing, so I consider it a good investment. Hopefully the one we decide on will last forever, so I don' t mind to pay for it.
    Update on the kittens. I stopped by at UPS last week to ask them what happened to "my cats", since I haven't seen them for a few weeks. The the employees collected enough money to have them all vaccinated and fixed and found new homes for all 3 of them. :)  Now I have to worry about the gray striped kitten, I see once in a while. Hopefully he/she belongs to someone.
    Kar, is Gracie back home? Is she doing ok?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I have had trouble off and on getting on the boards, Thanks Pingo for the tip. I have had to do something similar so I get it, Thanks for sharing

I liked the name too. I am not sure why this is but sometimes folks just don't know how to spell and carry this over to the birth certificate. For example, I know of a person who named her daughter Stephanie, and that is how I thought she spelled the name...Nope S_T_E_F_A_K_N_E_E..are you kidding? I thought you all might get a chuckle and thought the day deserved one.

Thanks for the kitty up-date. I have been doing bunny research, I think ours is looking to hibernate

Sections
Shortcuts