October Chats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: October Chats

Last year I made Thanksgiving Pilgrim hats from the miniature Reese's - turn one upside down on a thin chocolate wafer cookie, adhere it with a little orange frosting, and pipe orange frosting around the base of the Reese, and make a little buckle on the side. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all (I know, I am late - but at 10:00 it is still morning, I think?)
    mm, I enjoyed your report from visiting New Orleans. The media is only giving us the good stories about how people have already moved back home. I am sorry to hear it took your relative such a long time to be settled again. Good you had a nice time though. I was thrilled to hear about your 95 years old uncle AND his wife. What a wonderful story. Usually 95 year olds live alone, their mate passed away. And what a lovely idea for all (or maybe most) of your family to travel to celebrate this occasion. Did your Dad travel with you?
    Hubby and I never made it to New Orleans, even though we wanted to so much. My boys went, when they drove my oldest son's car to TX just before he got married. The two of them had a ball there. Actually, the trip to TX was a real brother bonding trip. It took them a week to get to TX, camping out with their tent and their cooking stuff. I guess they saw more, than most tourists would see.
    They just loved New Orleans, told us it was a definitely a place to visit, - but then came the devastation.
    Kar, I just happened to read in our weekly newspaper about a dog trainer (have been for 25 years) living in our town. He stated, that dogs do not understand words. But they do understand hand signals. He demonstrate it by using different words for the same hand signal - like "sit" and using hand signals, the dog will still sit no matter what he said. Just thought it would be valuable for you to know. How is Gracie doing today? Hopefully she is on her way to recovery.
    tt, your "closet cat" made me laugh. How funny! Is she ok though? Often times animals hide, when they are not well. I know it is a silly question, since I know, you are taking very good care of your cat(s). But one never know. Btw, how is Charlie doing?
    I just put a fresh brisket in my slow cooker. I saw the recipe on the internet. It is a Martha Stewart recipe. She cooks it in the oven, but I don' t have the time today to watch it for 3 plus hours. So, I adopted it to my crock pot. It is cooked with a bag of cranberries and a bag of tiny onions. Will let you know how it comes out.
    Two days ago I picked up a clamshells of blueberries at Costco. They were the largest blueberries, I have ever seen. The size of small cherries. I am going back there this morning to pick up a couple more. They are so hard to get by at the grocery stores.
    Hope you all will have a "frightening" Halloween tmw. I am not so sure, we will have one. The kids are not coming by any more. They probably hate our long driveway. I have a huge bag of candy - and what is left, I can always take to my office. My employees will eat it.
    You all have a nice day. Gotta get going - P

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pingo, indeed, we do use hand signals, and our trainer agrees that they are very important as dogs are more visual than auditory.  She understands words, though.  When I say, "Let's go for a ride," she goes bananas and runs for the front door.  If I don't follow quickly enough she whines.

She's reluctantly resting, possibly sleeping, after crying all day to go out and play.  She's healing well, it seems.  The staples have no redness, and she doesn't try to mess with them.  I have kept her on the pain medication so she'll keep it that way.  Her only problem is that she absolutely doesn't understand why we haven't played fetch for 2 days and why DH didn't take her with him when he was obviously going for his morning walk - she ALWAYS goes with him.  She cried at the door for a good 5 minutes after he left and would not be distracted.  2 days down, 12 to go.  We're hoping she doesn't hate us forever after this!

Thanks for asking. 

Best to all.

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I found out this morning that my BP meter is reading high so I guess we will have to get a new one. This one is about 8 years old. Got to take the Mrs. to the chiropractor shortly and Wal-Mart is close by and since we have some things to pick up there anyhow, may as well look for a new meter.
    I saw my Dr. yesterday and he says my BP is running a bit high so prescribed a low dose of lisinopril. And he also advised me to get my flu shot. I never had before because I was afraid it would give me the flu, but he said the shots contain onluy dead chopped up virus and it is impossible to get the flu from the shot. And since i am a greeter at church, shaking everyone's hand, I agreed that I am exposing myself more so it looks like  a shot is in order.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Good afternoon,
    No brick and mortar shop yet. Just my online store on Etsy. I'm making soy candles still and now also soaps. Our daughter has very sensitive skin and had a bear of a time last winter with ezcema. I started making aloe vera and olive oil soaps for her and she hasn't had any problems since then. It's really fun to experiment and try out new ideas. I just started making organic liquid soaps/ shampoos as well. My newest one is a green tea, honey, and oatmeal. Haven't managed to even make enough to stock it in the store because my family and friends keep wanting bars, which is fun for me. More reason to soap on the weekends. I'll try to get some pictures up.

I am spending my days working as the bookkeeper/office manager for a non-profit organization I had been volunteering with for the past year. I just started here full time two weeks ago. I love it because it is really flexible and I am basically my own boss. Every day is different because there is always something new to learn. There are 3 non-profits out of this office and I am working for them all. It's the first job I ever had where I don't feel like I have to compromise my ethics ever.
    The wonderful bonus is that I can now take my daughter to school some mornings and can leave for teacher meetings without even having to ask anyone.
    Really enjoying the cooler weather. It's such a relief.

I'm not at all ready for Halloween. I've only gotten as far as the wire outline of daughter's fairy wings for her costume and I still have chili left to make. I'll have to try to squeeze that in tonight because it usually tastes even better after it's had a day to marry all the flavors. I should probably get some candy, too. Daughter's class is having a pumpkin party. We were supposed to bring cookies but it makes me sad because they won't allow anything homemade. It has to be store-bought. I understand their reason, but it takes the joy out of it for me.

Ken, I hope you're BP is back in line soon. Heart issues are never fun to deal with. I'm off to see if I can get the shot this afternoon, too, per doctor recommendation.

Pingo, your brisket sounds divine. Love the idea of the cranberries in there. Mmmmm. Smile

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ken, your doc is correct, of course, the seasonal flu shot is composed of dead virus that cannot, technically, give you the flu.  But, be forwarned.  The reaction needed for the shot to be effective, that is the production of flu antibodies, can also include flu-like symptoms.  Usually, they are less severe and of shorter duration than the actual flu, but it might trick your body a little more than you want into thinking it has the flu.

Just an FYI in case you feel icky for a couple of days.  It's not your imagination, nor did the doctor lie to you.   Usually, though, this doesn't happen.  :)

~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ladies, let me tell you - that M-S brisket is not going to be published here. It has been cooking all day, and I did the recipe "just as told" by Martha. Only thing was, that I did not add the two cups of water her recipe was asking for, b/c I thought it would be too much liquid for cooking in a crock pot. Usually one needs very little water. But I did add the chicken stock and the wine. (1 cup each). I just tasted the cooking liquid. It was tart as anything. I am sure she or one of her publishers messed up. Not edible. Went back to check her recipe. Yes, I did everything right. So much for M-S.
    So, of course I had to doctor it. I just could not throw away a beautiful piece of meat. I added plenty of brown sugar and thickened it up with a bit more flour. Now it is simmering away. Let's hope it will be ok - or Mr. P will have to take me out for dinner. The moral of this story is, don't trust any recipe you get your hand on.
    I have been running around all day doing errands. Got myself a couple of more blueberry clamshells at Costco, before the Bb season is over. Just love them for breakfast. Full of antioxidant. They one they have right now are just great. Large tasty blueberries. We have been eating them for breakfast ever since they came on the market. But I think, this is it. The grocery store ones are just too expensive and not very good. Good I have a stack frozen away for smoothies during the winter. TTYL - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Martha GRRRRRRRR

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

In Response to Re: October Chats:
    [QUOTE]Ken, your doc is correct, of course, the seasonal flu shot is composed of dead virus that cannot, technically, give you the flu.  But, be forwarned.  The reaction needed for the shot to be effective, that is the production of flu antibodies, can also include flu-like symptoms.  Usually, they are less severe and of shorter duration than the actual flu, but it might trick your body a little more than you want into thinking it has the flu. Just an FYI in case you feel icky for a couple of days.  It's not your imagination, nor did the doctor lie to you.   Usually, though, this doesn't happen.  :) ~kar
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU

so far ok.  will keep you posted

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad to hear you are feeling well, Ken.  Like I said, it's unusual to feel sick from it so you're probably in the clear.  I think doctors might not mention it because they don't want people to avoid getting the shot or to experience psychosomatic flu symptoms.  However, I believe they should tell people so they are fully informed and aren't alarmed if it does happen.

~kar

Sections
Shortcuts