Opinions needed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Opinions needed

O.k. I am starting a new thread in case I find myself uncomfortable about this thread.

This is a oil business related question

The past two years, I have been dealing with an oil company. Mostly I pay within the next few days but I do have a credit card on file in case I don't get to it. Apparrently, last March we recieved oil, and the company had some computer issues, so they were just trying to process this now. October? I only becme aware of the situation becuse my company periodically changes your #, so the charge was denied.

This is a small ,family run business, so she called me and asked what I wanted to do, and I said "Mail me a bill" she seems reluctant "everyone wants me to do that"
    I dont know though..seems a little iffy

Opinions?
    This is a small business and I don't want to deny anyone of services rendered

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Opinions needed

Icer, I know just how you must be feeling, since you - like we  - are in a "small business" situation as well.
    I do not understand, why this company cannot send you an invoice? Also, If they have your CC#, why did they wait this long to charge you? Beats me! Like you said - iffy.
    That this company had computer issues is not your fault and obligations. I would just ride it out and see, what happens. It seems, you are not reluctant to pay your bill, so you are NOT in the wrong. The worst that can happen to you is, that they will no longer service you. But there are plenty oil companies that will.
    I am interested in knowing, how you work it out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Don't they leave you a slip showing the price per gallon and the # of gals delivered each time a delivery is made?  I always keep all of those, even tho I'm on a 10 month budget plan.  Helps me figure my annual gallon usage.  I find this very bizarre.  If you don't have your copy of the delivery slip, can't they send you a listing of your deliveries and charges?  Then you could more easily determine if you think a delivery was made on the date in question.  In other words, if it was too close to a previous and subsequent delivery, you might question it.

It's a strange one, Icer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I was flabbergasted to be honest. #1 she said they had a computer problem...since March? I understand oil business must be about done in March, but they also have another seasonal business. 

How many days can you operate a business without a computer ?

Honey wants to dump them, I had them tune up the unit last year and they did do some things that even I did not like,

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: Opinions needed:
    [QUOTE]Don't they leave you a slip showing the price per gallon and the # of gals delivered each time a delivery is made?  I always keep all of those, even tho I'm on a 10 month budget plan.  Helps me figure my annual gallon usage.  I find this very bizarre.  If you don't have your copy of the delivery slip, can't they send you a listing of your deliveries and charges?  Then you could more easily determine if you think a delivery was made on the date in question.  In other words, if it was too close to a previous and subsequent delivery, you might question it. It's a strange one, Icer.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]
    I do have copies of receipts and I guess I can get the invoices and match them up but jeezy,it is going to be something to do, and she is complaining that everyone wants her to do this, not that she said this but kind of "Gee Icer, cant you just send along a check for 300.00..it would be sooo much easier""

I am exaggerating here to make a point or....Is It Theorpy?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The part about the computer being down wouldn't bother me so much.  Obviously, they made a mistake with one month's billing - it can happen.  I just don't understand why they can't send you a list of dates of deliveries and charges that you can match against your cancelled checks or receipts given for payment.

Hard in a small community to cause hard feelings when you're a business person yourself, by dropping them and changing to a larger company, but it might be time to do that.  Sleep on it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

thanks tt, i will

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

WOW! Got in the forums this morning right away. Looks like things have improved.

Icer, unfortunately - I can only agree with you on all your points in regard to this oil company. I smell rat!
    Several years ago we had a state contract to check oil companies. Some oil trucks were fixed - so when you got a fill, part of the oil went back into the truck, so the meter would still say 300 gal even though you only received 250. Now, I am not saying this company has been doing this, but it could have been they have been mickey mousing something and destroyed all their records. If the company has only bought 25,000 gal of oil during the year, how can they sell 30,000???
    To be in business and not have a computer for that long make me believe, something is not quite kosher. Btw. how did they find out you still owe them, when they are not even able to produce an invoice?
    If I were you Icer, I would just not hand over a payment. It is the company to prove that you indeed owe them and not you to figure it out for them.

Note: The "fixing" was unfortunately widespread at the time. But we decided not to renew our contract. We had several threatening phone calls, and got offers for free oil. We just don't do business that way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Icer

I don't agree with Pingo on this one.  I think probably an honest mistake was made.  I had a similar much smaller incident with the people who do my yard work.  But, in that instance, it was easy enough for me to look back and see that yes, on such and such a date they would have been scheduled to be here to mow, and that the bills they had sent me previously didn't include that date.  Mistakes do happen.  That's not to say it might not be time to change to a larger, more efficiently managed oil company.  Good luck with your decision.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks guys.. I really do appreciate your input. I knew about the situation because they were trying to put this old charge on my credit card, for which the company just randomly chages the numbers so they now had the wrong #. I am a little miffed at this too.Seems a little sneaky and not the true intent of them having the card

There was a statement too that I find upsetting, the "everyone wants me to do that" "That" which is being refer to here is to provide a bill, I feel she is reluctant to provide a bill. I am sorry , I am asking too much?

Unfortunatly Honey does contracting work and he really did not like our tune up and something he saw them do at another house. Not really any of our business but when you start adding things up I think I am just going to pay the 300 dollars(eventually) and move on

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think you're right to do that, Icer.  I was just going to go back in and edit my post to add:  "especially if you have the least bit of question in your mind about their honesty or work" - which you both do.  Time to move on to a larger company with a better system of billing and payment.  Now that the decision has been made, hope the rest of the week goes along better for you.  Cheerio!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Cheerio to you too

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I can say from experience that there are some oil companies out there that are thieves, terribly managed, or both.  We had a bad one, things always going wrong with furnance, but since we switched, no problems at all.....so switch!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

icer, sorry to hear of your troubles with this company.  It's very disconcerting when things like this happen.  I think you are doing the right thing by paying and moving to another company.  It can't cause that much bad blood, can it?  They aren't serving their customers well and have a bad attitude.  And, in any business, big or small, small town or large city, that's unacceptable.

Not that you needed me to chime in, but FWIW, I am totally behind your switching it up.  I am also in a small town and understand the politics of such a move.  Still.

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Unfortunately I have to agree agree with "hats".
    My SIL got a bill for oil, that were not dispensed to her. Two days in a row - 300 gal for a 300 gal tank? No, don't think so. She tried Small Claims Court, but had to fight the hard way - went all the way to the top (because she knew, she was right). Her oil company finally admitted, they had made a mistake and agreed to pay all the court proceedings. Expensive "mistake" for them, but if they keep making the same "mistake" over and over again - they will have plenty to pay for the ones that take them to court. Most customers don't go to court, b/c they themselves do not keep adequate records. And some customers get tired of fighting, before it gets that far. So they pay the bill, not to hear anything more about it. This is what cheaters live on.
    Icer, $300 is $300. Why would you pay them, unless you know for sure you owe them?
    tt, you are right in a sense, that honest mistakes are made. But having dealt w/ oil companies on both sides, I can assure you that some of those "mistakes" are done purposely. This is one reason, oil companies love the customers being on automatic refills. They often come, when you are not at home and are able check them. Easy to cheat you. We have a 2000 gal tank and get oil once - sometimes twice a year. Not only do we check prices for different companies, but Mr. P make sure, he is at home, when they get here - and he does check the truck as well as their's and our meter, before they start pumping. Learned the hard way - P

Ps. Please, don't think I have anything against oil companies. I don't. Fortunately, there are many honest ones around. But if you "smell rat", you are probably right. As always, it is the bad apples, that spoil the good ones.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's like mechanics.  They aren't ALL dishonest...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Hi icer,

I've had the same oil guy forever.  I usually leave him a check in the morning, but sometimes I forget and mail it after he delivers.

Last year, he sent me a copy of an invoice that he said I hadn't paid.  I just checked my checking account to confirm when I had paid him and there was a big gap around that time so I agreed that I must have forgotten.

I agree that for a small business, they should have called you first and said, "we just realized this payment never processed so should we bill your credit card or would you like to send us a check".  To not do so is unprofessional, not to mention thoughtless in this economy AND somewhat shady.

On top of that, your husband's not happy with their service work? 

Forget about them!  There are a billion oil delivery guys that would LOVE to have your business.  If you were closer, I'd recommend S&S Fuel in Waltham!!!

Hope all is well. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]Hi icer, I've had the same oil guy forever.  I usually leave him a check in the morning, but sometimes I forget and mail it after he delivers. Last year, he sent me a copy of an invoice that he said I hadn't paid.  I just checked my checking account to confirm when I had paid him and there was a big gap around that time so I agreed that I must have forgotten. I agree that for a small business, they should have called you first and said, "we just realized this payment never processed so should we bill your credit card or would you like to send us a check".  To not do so is unprofessional, not to mention thoughtless in this economy AND somewhat shady. On top of that, your husband's not happy with their service work?  Forget about them!  There are a billion oil delivery guys that would LOVE to have your business.  If you were closer, I'd recommend S&S Fuel in Waltham!!! Hope all is well. 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

Helllloooo Cosmo, It is truly a thrill to see your post. I have to agree, we have had the same oil company for soo long, then he sold it or was absorbed by another company. Its a long stor how we ended up with these folks.

Honey didn't like the ethics of doing our burner ..me either. They welded shut an area we have to get to in times of extreme cold. He figures they did it so I would have to call THEM and not to my little witchdoctor thing I do down there to get the heat going.

Gee Cos, really great to see your nom and that you are alive and...I hope, well...I hope, very well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi icer -

The burden of proof lies with oil company.  It's unheard of to ask for payment without an invoice.  TT's right.  Whenever an oil company delivers oil, they slip a receipt under the door - price and # of gallons.  They need to provide you with this.

mothermitzi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]Hi icer - The burden of proof lies with oil company.  It's unheard of to ask for payment without an invoice.  TT's right.  Whenever an oil company delivers oil, they slip a receipt under the door - price and # of gallons.  They need to provide you with this. mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

Thanks MM, you know the more I think of it, you are right. I have already asked the credit card company for a copy of that months invoice ,or there abouts.so that I can be extra sure, but I will not give the new # because I will be dealing with someone else

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WildOn. Show WildOn's posts

Icer, did you get the oil delivery or not?

You say "apparently" you received oil in March

Either you did or you didnt

Which is it?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]Icer, did you get the oil delivery or not? You say "apparently" you received oil in March Either you did or you didnt Which is it?
    Posted by WildOn[/QUOTE]

I did get the oil delivery, but it is much harder to match the delivery to the date that I was charged due to the fact that they take months to apply the charge.

Only after this amount of time am I able to say, I believe I owe the money, but I do not like the way they handled it

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WildOn. Show WildOn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinions needed : I did get the oil delivery, but it is much harder to match the delivery to the date that I was charged due to the fact that they take months to apply the charge. Only after this amount of time am I able to say, I believe I owe the money, but I do not like the way they handled it
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

Icer, the passage of 7 months may have made it harder for you to match "date and delivery", but it didnt make doing so impossible

You received an oil delivery in March that you didnt pay for, so you owe the oil company a payment

It is as simple as that. Everything else is irrelevent

Find out how many gallons were delivered to you in March and multiply it by the price of oil on the date delivered. If the product of those 2 numbers equals the figure, the oil company gal quoted to you over the phone, write a check for that amount and send it off in the mail

What is so difficult?

PS The gal at the oil company with whom youve been dealing sounds like a real winner (which is to say, she sounds like a real loser), but that is a separate issue. You have a debt that remains outstanding that needs to be paid in full.

Isnt that the bottom line here?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Wow  .I thought this thread was about OIL

so.....go electric....no problems there

a company without a computer?    Something is rotten in Denmark there. Drop 'em

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken, you made me laugh. Supposedly, this thread was about an oil bill, but it turned into something else. Yeah! Let' s go electric - best advice ever. LOL
    Glad to see your posts again.

[QUOTE]Wow  .I thought this thread was about OIL so.....go electric....no problems there a company without a computer?    Something is rotten in Denmark there. Drop 'em
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]