OT: Birdfeeder?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OT: Birdfeeder?

We used to have tons of birds of all kinds coming to feed on berries and whatever at our natural backyard. But this summer/fall we hardly have any. Mr. P. likes to get up in the morning watching them and now wants to get a bird feeder to try to attract the birds again. The problem is, that we have plenty of squirrels. Last year when I put up a birdseed ring hanging from the railing of my deck, the squirrels had a feast. No birds.
    I want to get him one for his upcoming birthday and have looked at them on the internet. But boy - what a difficult task that is. I know, I have lots of bird loving friends here and was hoping, you could help me find a good one, that is squirrel proof as well. Name, style, etc. - maybe even a link - would be most appreciated. I am planning on getting a hanger for it for my deck, so it will be easier to fill during the winter months. I have seen some hangers that goes right on the railing.
    I did visit one of the pet stores, saw some but was not that enthusiastic about them. TIA - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: OT: Birdfeeder?

I cannot give you a name or a website, Pingo.  Mine was a gift that G.T. gave me from the yard of the last house he bought.  It came with the property.  It is brown metal, attached to a pole for the ground; the top lifts from the back to fill, and the front bar where they perch, goes down at a certain weight, i.e. bluejay's weight, or certainly a squirrel's.  When it goes down, it brings part of the feeder over the seed trays, making it impossible to get any.  As soon as some of the weight is released, it returns to its natural position.  Not harmful to the birds in any way, and altho we have had many laugh filled minutes watching the squirrels try to get some seed from it, none have succeeded, no matter what direction they come at it from.  The jays and other large birds are able to balance on the side of the feeder and get some seed, but the way it's made the squirrels cannot.
    My guess is that it is quite expensive, since afterall, it is timeless in its life expectancy.  It does not fit the criteria you specify, mainly one to hang on your deck, but perhaps googling "squirrel proof birdfeeders", will lead you to one that might fit the bill.  Good luck.  I'm always pleased and happy to help anyone wanting to help feed the birds.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

I have the type of bird feeder tt describes.  I went through a learning experience with mine though. At first, I hung it too close to the branch and the squirrels were able to hang down from the branch and scoop the seed out.  I lowered the feeder and the squirrels chewed through the string and the feeder fell to the ground providing a great feast for them.  I tried again with wreath wire and they chewed through that, too.  I had to go to the hardware store and buy a thicker chain that they could not chew and that finally worked.  Most feeders that claim to be squirrel proof, are not.  However, this one works well after much trial and error!

mothermitzi      

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks mm for the tip. Will follow your instructions, before we hang it. - P