Poll..Yae or Nay to the New Forum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandsworth. Show MosesHandsworth's posts

Re: Poll..Yae or Nay to the New Forum

[QUOTE]I found my avatar picture in Google Images.  If you are not familiar with it, it is a section of google that you can search to find pictures only.  When you go to Google, look in the upper right hand corner, and click on 'Images."  I then entered "hats"   When I found a picture I liked, I right clicked, and saved the image to "My Pictures" folder. To add it as my "avatar" I clicked on "Edit Profile" in the top right corner.  Then had to click on "Edit Profile" again.  Click on the avatar picture.  Click the "browse" button to the right of the avatar picture, navigate to "My Pictures," bring up the desired photo, and click on open.  That was it, hope Putt can do it now....
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

Hats, I always liked your handle (or nom as they say in this forum). Thought it was weird, but in a good way. And I wondered how you came up with it. Then a few weeks ago, in Jan Freeman's The Word, which appears in the Ideas section every Sunday, I read the following:

There's an old Boston story of a 19th-century Brahmin matron whose New York counterpart asks where Boston women buy their hats. "Buy our hats?" replies the Beacon Hill blueblood. "We have our hats."

Ah, so now I know:)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

oh! That is so interesting. I did always wonder.
    And I do like your avatar Hats :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

[QUOTE]Hats, I always liked your handle (or nom as they say in this forum). Thought it was weird, but in a good way. And I wondered how you came up with it. Then a few weeks ago, in Jan Freeman's The Word, which appears in the Ideas section every Sunday, I read the following: There's an old Boston story of a 19th-century Brahmin matron whose New York counterpart asks where Boston women buy their hats. "Buy our hats?" replies the Beacon Hill blueblood. "We have our hats." Ah, so now I know:)
    Posted by MosesHandsworth[/QUOTE]

I do indeed own hats that have been passed down in my family for several generations.  But just like the lady in the story, I did not feel compelled to explain why. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Hats,

How I wish I had hung onto the hats both my mother and myself had many years ago.  Hers always seemed to have a long feather perched at a jaunty angle, and in my 20's, I didn't feel an outfit was complete unless I had the perfect hat to wear with it to Sunday mass.  Gave them and my hatboxes to a niece for "dress up" play and I'm sure they were tossed in the rubbish when she outgrew that playtime.  We didn't know enough then to hang onto articles like that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

I still don't know how to invite a person to be a friend, nor accept one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Hey I just found out how to ask for a friend and acknowledge a request to be one.   Cool.

Wildie suggested I ask the ques. of why no email notification...on this thread, because he says Dottie replies here more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello hats and tt,
    I remember the times, when my mother bought me a hat for whatever occasion. And I felt proud wearing them. Once we went to my cousin's confirmation - a 4 hours train ride - and I was sitting straight in my seat not to ruin my hat. Haha! Base ball caps doesn't do today.
    I still remember fondly my mother's hat - when I left my home country to come here. It was pink and she was at the end of the roof of the terminal (one could do that at that time) waving to me. It is a picture that has been ingraved in my mind ever since. When I think of it, I am still in awe that my parents let me go.
    Of course I was to return in a year - but no one knew at the time that I would meet the most wonderful person in my life - my husband.
    The US of A is now my country and it has been really good to me.
    Bless you all - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just asked you to be my friend, Ken, but I am not sure how it works. If it turns out tobe like a Myspace thing...I just may leave well enough alone

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, you changes your avatar - what is it? - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad you got rid of the roasted turkey, Icer.  That's all I could see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken,
    Could you please, piece by piece - tell us old ladies, how to add you as a friend. Have been trying - but no luck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

My new avatar is a picture of some violets in the yard. I will probably change the avatar a lot...

Who knows maybe sometime I will open my oven door and take a picture of that. I like avatars

Adding someone as a friend: 1...go to profile page of the person you wish to friend. you can do this by clicking on their screenname

look to the right- />>>>>>>>>>>>>>there is a add as a friend option

I am also going to check out the ignore this user button
    I will let you all know how it works

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

On the subject of Hats...My aunt Agnes always wore hats...and I loved her so, She was very flamboyant and stylish..like a movie star.

My whole family recants a tale of 4 year old Icer singing"Hello Dolly"  with a Candy Cupboard container on my head....Guess you had to be there

also I think the ignore button works

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Ken, Could you please, piece by piece - tell us old ladies, how to add you as a friend. Have been trying - but no luck.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    Click on the person's name you want to add, which is under their avatar. On the page that comes up, on the right side, there is a button that says, "request this person to be your friend.

Then when you bring up your own profile, on the right it will list those you have added, those pending and a place to accept the friend.

I hope that is clear.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi putt,
    So good to see you posting. Don't worry about your avatar. We all know you by name. To put on an avatar is not that difficult - I did it and I am no IT person. But don't worry about it. You will probably be the only one on this board with the a generic head - so be it. We all still love you the same.

I am glad you came through Easter with your children. Must have been so difficult. And so shortly after your husband was gone. While I was celebrating Easter with my husband and my two sons, I did think of you. My prayers were with you.

They say it get easier as time goes by. I am not sure. Loosing my parents and my sister, I still remember them as if they were still around. When I dream, they are still around. Maybe that is what it is meant to be.

Cry on someones shoulder if you must. Crying is good for us. My tears are still running, when I think of my sister I lost so unexpectedly.

Best to you my dear - Pingo

[QUOTE]Hi everyone The new board doesnt seem any different to me, honestly.  I'm just frustrated that I cannot figure out how to do the avatar.  Even my computer literate kids have no idea.  I have a picture in my email that would be great but, so far, no luck. Will keep trying - I'm just happy to be able to post. Enjoy your night. putt
    Posted by putt1[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Hats:

I love your avatar. I have pictures like that...No, not of me. I am a genealogist and when I can find them, I post pictures in my family tree on line of the people in the tree. and the old ones I love to have. I have a picture of my great grandfather, which i copied out of an old newspaper. It is about 150 years old. He was in the civil war and chaplain of the GAR in Arlilngton.(that was where my family was from)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Ken -

Have you accessed any of the records at the Mormon Library when doing genealogy? 

mothermitzi

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]My new avatar is a picture of some violets in the yard. I will probably change the avatar a lot... Who knows maybe sometime I will open my oven door and take a picture of that. I like avatars Adding someone as a friend: 1...go to profile page of the person you wish to friend. you can do this by clicking on their screenname look to the right- />>>>>>>>>>>>>>there is a add as a friend option I am also going to check out the ignore this user button I will let you all know how it works
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

Hi icer -

I love violets.  Have some in my front yard.  Some are white.  Ever seen that variety?  They are very pretty next to the purple.  I have my upside down planters hanging out in anticipation of warmer weather.  I bought some petunia plants on QVC - a first for me.  I couldn't resist the different shades of purple and pink.  They say the plants do not have to be deadheaded, and that was the attraction (besides the color) for me.  I have two conical shaped planters and hope they will thrive in them.

mothermitzi 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

[QUOTE]We're waiting and watching - - - - -
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

TA DA  - I just had my daughter come over to help out with my avatar - hope you can all guess what it is.

putt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

yay Putt :)
    Looks so relaxing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry putt, but I don't see a thing ----

[QUOTE]TA DA  - I just had my daughter come over to help out with my avatar - hope you can all guess what it is. putt
    Posted by putt1[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

[QUOTE]Hi putt, So good to see you posting. Don't worry about your avatar. We all know you by name. To put on an avatar is not that difficult - I did it and I am no IT person. But don't worry about it. You will probably be the only one on this board with the a generic head - so be it. We all still love you the same. I am glad you came through Easter with your children. Must have been so difficult. And so shortly after your husband was gone. While I was celebrating Easter with my husband and my two sons, I did think of you. My prayers were with you. They say it get easier as time goes by. I am not sure. Loosing my parents and my sister, I still remember them as if they were still around. When I dream, they are still around. Maybe that is what it is meant to be. Cry on someones shoulder if you must. Crying is good for us. My tears are still running, when I think of my sister I lost so unexpectedly. Best to you my dear - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi pingo

Thank you for the kind words - and for thinking of me at Eastertime.  That's why I love my board friends.  We truly care about each other and worry when they are sad and unhappy or if time goes by without hearing from them.

Enjoy your weekend -

putt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Love the avatar Putt

MM....I don't think I have ever seen white vviolets...What a treat

Petunias that you don't have to dead head...That is very intersting

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi icer

I have liked both your avatars very much but am very fond of violets - this one is special - glad you like mine - the picture was taken on our last trip to Aruba in January.  One of our favorite things was to watch the sunset and see if we could catch the green blink.  Guess some people have but not us.

Enjoy your weekend

putt