Reusable Grocery Bags!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Reusable Grocery Bags!

I just came back from grocery shopping. I have several reusable bags, wich I always bring. Partly to save the environment, partly not to have to deal with all those plastic bags.
    I place my reusable bags on the counter first, then my grocery. However, the ever chewing gum, chatting away packers still place my grocery in the plastic bags. Then they see the reusables and place the plastic bags with the content in them. Duh!!!
    I am generally a very laid back person, but this morning, I just had it. I just don't want your plastic bags. I know other shoppers were not happy with me (Saturday mind you), but I asked the packers to empty the plastic bags and place my purchases in my reusable bags.
    They did it - barely - I am sure casterising me for every single item they pulled out. I did not care, I had the time, but I am sorry for the rest of the shoppers that had to wait due their (still snapping gum, mind you) incapacity. 
    Have you shoppers encountered something like that? And what did you do about it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Reusable Grocery Bags!

Hi Pingo,

I haven't encountered that, but if I did, I would stop at the customer service booth on the way out, ask for the manager, and calmly explain what had happened - including the gum snapping checkers - which would be more annoying to me than not using the reusable bags.  Keeping the reusable bags until last and then handing them to the checker as she starts scanning your groceries, might help - sort of making it next to impossible to miss them.

Just came back from a thank you lunch for library volunteering, and have been invited to a new salmon recipe supper at a neighbor's tonight - good eats for me today!  TTYL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandsworth. Show MosesHandsworth's posts

When the bagger began placing your items in the plastic, why didnt you just tell him no?

I dont like plastic either, but if I want paper (or if I wanted my items placed in a re-usable), I have to say so

You need to be a little pro-active with these people

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

The store we do most of our shoping in, Fry's sells the reusable bags for $1 and every time you use one, you get 5 cents of your order. We usually use 3 for our weekly shopping. So you see the are encouraging their use. No, we have never encountered a packer who did not use them. But like Wildie said, as soon as I would see them NOT using them I would say something,, probably not to nice either. And that same store uses mentally handicapped persons to do the packing too, and most of them are VERY nice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Ken!
    One of store I go to also use mentally handicapped (or as they now say, mentally challenged) packers. I would never, ever raise my voice there. I am only delighted, that they can hold a job and yes, indeed - they are all very, very nice. Respectful and accommodating.

But I was talking about the general high-school packer. Not only do they chat and chew gum, but they don't care about your grocery. They just dump everything in the bags - potatoes on top of tomatoes and strawberries - thus crushing them. And whenever I give them my reusable bags, I get "the look".

Whenever school is in - I try to do my shopping during school hours. Then I have women, who know how to separate and pack groceries - even in my reusable bags. Never had a problem with them.

But it is not always possible for me to do so. I have tried to talk to the "management"- I am putting this in quotation marks - b/c some of them are the same useless packers, I have dealt with before.
    I did write my grocery store once - but of course no reply. I believe they know, they have a big problem.

Sorry Ken, rant is over. I am just so frustrated, that our young people cannot do a most mundane job these days. Guess they all think, I am only here to pick up a pay check. How sad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Pingo,
    You are probably right about "just here to pick up a pay check"
    That is why when I see our young people at church behaving so well, and doing good things it gives me hope for the next generatioin. We have a group of about 100 HS and JrHS kids that are fabulous. They put on a dinner theater to raise funds for their annual mission trip. One year it was New Orleans, another Wash DC.  They perform for the homeless, give out stuff they need, got to youth prisons, they even performed on the Mall in the Capitol. And I have a teenage boy who sings tenor in the choir, beside me. I keep telling him how much I appreciate having him. Yes, there are some good teenagers around.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Ken,
    I do agree with you, there are many great and responsible teenagers today. But I guess they don't "stick out"- because we expect them to be so.
    You must be so proud to sing with your son. God bless him. When I participated in our church choir, my two boys sang in the Kiddie Choir. My oldest has a beautiful voice. He once performed as Peter Pan as a solo singer, when his school put up the musical. His teacher told us he should have his voice trained. However, he was more interested in sports at the time, and we did not want to force him into anything, he did not want to do.
    My fear is that many of the irresponsible youngsters, we raise today - will get lost in the shuffle someday. Then we have to deal with that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandsworth. Show MosesHandsworth's posts

The high school kids who bag groceries at the supermarket I shop at are, generally speakng, hard-workng, friendly, and attentive. They would never place a 5-lb bag of potatoes on top of an 8 oz box of strawberries. That sort of thng doesnt happen. Ever. Not at my supermarket. If it did, I would fnd a new place to shop in a hurry

Bagging groceries is tedious, monotonous work especially during peak shopping hours when it is just one ustomer after another

So, I think it's unfair to single out these 16-17 yr olds for your ridicule and ire. Most of them are not gum snapping nincompoops like you are trying to portray them, but rather nice kids who are just tryng to do a good job

By the way, if you dont want them to use plastic, just tell them, "No plastic please". What is so hard about that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Here's a chance to see how that "Ignore" click on works, Pingo, if you haven't already.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Ken, I do agree with you, there are many great and responsible teenagers today. But I guess they don't "stick out"- because we expect them to be so. You must be so proud to sing with your son. God bless him. When I participated in our church choir, my two boys sang in the Kiddie Choir. My oldest has a beautiful voice. He once performed as Peter Pan as a solo singer, when his school put up the musical. His teacher told us he should have his voice trained. However, he was more interested in sports at the time, and we did not want to force him into anything, he did not want to do. My fear is that many of the irresponsible youngsters, we raise today - will get lost in the shuffle someday. Then we have to deal with that.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I worded  it wrong. It is not MY boy.  Heaven's sake my boys has a teen age son...No is is just one of the teens in the church, but i am still proud to be able to sing next to him.  He told HIS father once that I was an inspiration to him......It works the other way around for me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I don't get you tt - am I missing something?

[QUOTE]Here's a chance to see how that "Ignore" click on works, Pingo, if you haven't already.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get you tt - am I missing something?
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

After I read MH's reply to you, I was tempted to click on "Ignore MH" at the bottom of his post.  As Icer said, on another thread, we all know who he is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I utilized the ignore button for the very same reason....it works well

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks to both of you, tt and Icer --- I think his post must have been deleted. He made an awful birthday greeting to me - not that I really cared - but BDC took it off the thread. Thanks BDC. Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

His post is still there, right above mine about the ignore button.  It's not whether you care or not, it's just a sign that he's up to his old tricks - stirring things up.

Are you in work today?  It's such a strange holiday, some working others not.  Determined to get at my work around the house today.  Still on the S.B. diet too.  Did pretty good yesterday.  Of course, I'll have to give up all baking, I have no willpower if there's anything sweet in the house.  Luckily I have some nice crunchy celery in the crisper.  I grabbed a piece of that a couple of times yesterday.  For supper I had the dish my neighbor had made, only didn't reheat it, had it as a cold salad.  It was even tastier that way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt,
    I am so proud of you!
    We went out for dinner last night with friends - but I did really well. It was an Italian place loaded with pasta and Alfredo. I ordered a sashimi tuna appetizer for my meal - it was absolutely delicious. Only 5 small pieces of tuna with some seaweed salad and wasabi sauce. But I did have a Cosmopolitan Frown. I just didn't feel right to just sit there and not being able to toast. Our friends had just signed papers for a new (smaller) home. A condo. We congratulated them. They own a beautiful large home with ocean view,  but as everyone else, their children have left the nest - and are all doing well. No need to keep that huge house any longer.
    I had no dessert, just a cup of decaf. Please be proud of me.
    Our office is working today, but I am staying at home. I have tons of errands to run. My big BIL (calling him "big" - because, he has such an inflated ego) and his wife is coming next week to stay for 10 days, and I have to have all the special veggies in house - plus a lot of "spring cleaning" to do. My sons used to make fun of my husband. Whenever his brother is coming he is vacuuming the ceilings ---- and it is true.
    What's for dinner tonight? - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I AM proud of you, Pingo.  It's not easy, believe me, I know.  For my lunch today I'm having my usual salad and will put the remains of the salmon and snow peas on it along with shredded low fat Monterey Jack cheese.  That with a cuppa.

For supper I'm broiling a piece of steak and steaming some mixed veggies and will have along with a little dish of shredded cabbage, carrots and walnuts drizzled just a little with dressing.  I'll cheat just a little and have some strawberry jello, plain.  Looking forward this afternoon to my snack of apple slices with a little peanut butter - can you imagine?!  Me getting excited about the anticipation of apple with peanut butter?!  I've throw what was left of this and that out for the squirrels so I wouldn't be tempted.  Putting them in the freezer wouldn't stop me, I would eat them partially frozen!

Your BIL's visit may be a blessing in disguise - you'll have all those veggies in the house that you can snack on too.

Hoping to take my son out to lunch Weds on his birthday, and that will be a challenge unless he chooses Chinese.  I have a feeling he'll head for Italian and I'll have to opt for my salad which I could have gotten at  home!  Thursday going out to eat with a friend, but I am visualizing already a salad with boiled chicken on top.  Gawd, I'll be so food conscious it's all I'll be thinking of!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandsworth. Show MosesHandsworth's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks to both of you, tt and Icer --- I think his post must have been deleted. He made an awful birthday greeting to me - not that I really cared - but BDC took it off the thread. Thanks BDC.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

pingo:

The next day after I posted your birthday greeting, the message was deleted from the board, and I was banned. I wrote dottie about it. She told me my banning had nothing to do with the birthday greeting. In fact, she even denied any knowledge of the birthday greeting at all lol

I guess we know different now, huh?:)

Anyway...thank you, for confirming for me what I suspected all along, ie that dottie plays favorites, and alas I am not one of them. Oh, well...

PS Just for the record, my birthday greeting to you was not "awful". I posted it in the "voice" of Ophelia Washington, a character I created a long time ago. Been posting as her/about her for years, just never in this forum. I would describe her as being a friendly, plus-sized woman, albeit a little confused and bewildered

I thought her birthday greeting was respectful and rather sweet. Sorry, you felt otherwise

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello friends,
    This is very interesting - I see no posts by MH - none. In this thread or any other thread. Maybe Dottie was kind enough to have him banned for me permanently --- If that is the case, bless her! - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Hello friends, This is very interesting - I see no posts by MH - none. In this thread or any other thread. Maybe Dottie was kind enough to have him banned for me permanently --- If that is the case, bless her! - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

She IS taking care of you, Pingo.  Good for her.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Pingo

Are you home today too?  When is your BIL coming?  What do they do days while you and Mr. P are working, or do one of you take some time off?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]She IS taking care of you, Pingo.  Good for her.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]
     Drum roll....Applause...the roar of the crowd is deafening. Chanting too!

Yae Dottie!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt and pingo -

I've been reading your posts on dieting.  One thing that has helped me is to double the vegetable portion of my evening meal. I've been eating a lot of cauliflower and brocoli.  Easy to cook and filling.  I've practically eliminated potato. Had mashed at Thanksgiving and boiled for St. Patrick's Day but nothing in-between or since. I have gotten used to it over time. If you stick to South Beach, you will lose weight.

mothermitzi  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandsworth. Show MosesHandsworth's posts

[QUOTE]Hello friends, This is very interesting - I see no posts by MH - none. In this thread or any other thread. Maybe Dottie was kind enough to have him banned for me permanently --- If that is the case, bless her! - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

pingo:

That's very interesting

I dont see any of your posts either:)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, love the pic of "Baby".  How cute she is.  Cheerio has no white on her, just a tiger with an orange, (Cheerio colored) belly.