September 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: September 2011

I'll come tt!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oops, almost forgot, Amber.  Went to put recipes away and saw SS's.  I have a call into her to see if she minds if I post it.  I'm sure not, but it's always best to check.  I had never seen anything like it before.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks tt, I really appreciate it : )

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: September 2011:
    [QUOTE]I'll come tt!
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

Anytime, either of you.  Frozen remains of an Italian loaf of bread is thawing.  I'll scoop the insides out for my bread pudding.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes tt, I did mean you.  Your lunches always sound great.  I could even bring a treat for Cheerio :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS just called me back - no problem.
    She has a note that says it's best to make it the night before and let set.

Oriental Salad
    16 oz. broccoli slaw
    2 pkg. oriental Ramen noodles, crumbled
    2 cup sliced almonds
    1/2 - 1 cup toasted sunflower kernels or seeds

Dressing:
    1 flavor packets from noodles
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup red wine vinaigrette
    3/4 cup vegetable oil

Combine dressing ingredients.  Mix salad and pour dressing over.
    Refrigerate overnight.

I've never seen broccoli slaw at S&S, and was going to check at Hannaford's.  It may be something only available at the Trecchis where she and Icer shop.  Could always buy a bag of slaw and some broccoli florets and combine, and I'm sure the nut and seed ingredients are adjustable by your own preference too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That sounds yummy tt!  I copied and saved it.  Def going to try and make.  Thank you!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

ooooh, tt/SS - that is a good one! 

I have also had/made similar with regular slaw instead of broccoli, cashews instead of almonds/seeds, chopped scallions, apple cider vinegar in place of red, and italian dressing mix instead of noodle packets.  Hadn't made it all summer due to the diet, but picked up the ingredients this past go round at MB to do this weekend!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're very welcome.  It sounds like something different G.T. would like.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That sounds good too, Novem.  I love cashews, was looking for some today, but only buy a name brand.  I've gotten burned too many times with buying a no name brand of nuts and having them taste stale.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hi Novem - The dog is basically a "mutt" (I love mutts), but there is some dashound in him.  He is about 20lbs and very cute.  I'm so happy that they are giving a great home to someone who really needs it.  He'll get lots of love an attention from them.

I'll post some pics when I get them (I'll also need to check with them first, I don't like to post other's pics without asking them, even if it's a pup, lol).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I totally understand Cal.  I hope they let you - then we can play "guess the breed(s)"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter and Amber,
    I knew you meant tt, but you are both more than welcome to join us as well - "for one  or two meals" this weekend. Actually, I would love that. Want to get to know you better.

Re: Broccoli slaw. I have never seen it in the stores either, but it sounds wonderful. So, naturally I had to google it: What is Broccoli Slaw?

Broccoli slaw is like a cole slaw, but made with shredded broccoli - stems and all - instead of shredded cabbage. It is a bit spicier than coleslaw, but also a lot more digestible (if you know, what I mean). And it usually have added nuts and dried noodles, but one can add, whatever one wants to add.
    Here is a quote from the link:
    --Broccoli slaw is made by shredding raw broccoli, including the stems and leafy tops, tossing it with a dressing, and adding in any other desired ingredients. For example, a broccoli slaw recipe could include broccoli, crispy noodle pieces, cashews, and green onions in an Asian-style dressing, or it could be made with broccoli, carrots, and a creamy mayonnaise dressing for a more traditional take on slaw. Some other additives which can appear in broccoli slaw include: dried cranberries, peanuts, sunflower seeds, apple slices, raisins, and shredded meat such as chicken.---
    Sounds delicious, doesn't it?
    Too bad I finished my shopping for the weekend, so if you do come - I will not have the broccoli slaw on the menu.

Seeing it is not going to be the nicest of weekends. Rain in the forecast. I do hope you will get a swim in, Winter - before you close the pool for the season. I do understand the dilemma with the leaves, but we do have many wonderful September days, where you could use your pool. Have a nice one - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I always learn something new on these boards.  That is so interesting with the brocolli slaw.  Wonder why the supermarkets around here don't carry it?  Or is it something you have to do yourself?  I would LOVE to go and eat at your house too Pingo.  I could do tt's one day and yours the other this weekend.  I would be a mighty happy camper with all the delicious recipes you both post!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---Wonder why the supermarkets around here don't carry it? ---

Maybe there is not too many requests for it. But with a sharp knife or a food processor, it would be easy enough to shred.
    I have never bought those ready made packages. They are expensive. But more so I don't know how fresh they are. Besides my good knife never fails me. I do have a food processor, but often I don't use it. It takes a lot less time using my knife to shred by hand, than to clean up the processor afterwards. But that is just me. Other Chatters may feel different. - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

OK then I'll come to you and tt's house Pingo.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS finds it at Trecchi's.  I thought it was just pkg cole slaw with broccoli florets.  That's how much I know.  Hannaford's might carry it, Pingo.  That was where I was going to look, but not making it this week-end now.  The guys love broccoli and also almonds and nuts/seeds and any kind of Asian dressing.  It would be right up their alley.  Still on my radar for the next time they do come down.

What's the latest on TX?  Have you spoken with your son?

Just took the bread pudding out of the oven.  Hoping there's some squirt left in that squirt cream can!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I don't have a food processor so I use my knife a lot too Pingo : )

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, I can smell that bread pudding all the way here. I just bought a can of Whipping Cream - in case you run out.
    You girls will probably laugh. But my Dh's most favorite dessert is Jello w/ whipped cream. He was not allowed to eat it when growing up. Animal products, I guess.
    I buy the sugar free Black Raspberry Jello and a can of Tropical Fruit. It makes 5 servings. I am sick and tired of making it, but he loves it -- with whipped cream of course. - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---What's the latest on TX?  Have you spoken with your son?---

I truly wish, I could tell you. Have been trying to reach them all day, but not much luck. Truly frustrating.
    Dh tries to calm me down, by telling me we would have heard from them, if anything serious would have happened. So I am trying to listen to him, but it doesn't make me feel better. Maybe they have power failures or maybe they are all on the Ranch trying to take care of all the animals.
    I have been watching the news on the net and so far no fires are reported in their immediate area, but they are close. 
    With God's help they will be ok. - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

My prayers will be with them this weekend Pingo... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, I too will keep them in my prayers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

MB sells broccoli slaw - near the pre-packaged salad bags.  Looks like cole slaw, but says broccoli. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Novem.

With all my food, guess what I had for supper?  A peanut butter and rasp. jam sandwich on nice soft white bread!  That and a side of pickles and a glass of milk.  Tasted soooo good.  I had been dying for rasp. jam and the Trappist is good.  Dished out a bowl of bread pudding and whipped cream and now I'm happy and content!  Have a good week-end.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hope everyone has a great weekend!