September 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: September 2011

tt,
    You make me laugh. You keep talking all day about all this delicious and scrumptious food you are going to make/serve --- and what did you have for supper? Not to wrinkle my nose on Trappers Raspberry Jam - I love that one too.
    Making a new chicken dish as we speak. A really easy one too. Basically cut up pieces of chicken breast, tomatoes and onions with a dash of butter mixed w/ rosemary and garlic - baked in the oven. Smells wonderful.
    If it comes out good, I will post the recipe. - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I almost bought ingredients for a nice PB&J yesterday myself.  It's no shrinking violet of a meal!  Instead, I bought ingredients to make sushi after Nov's and Pingo's talk of Asian delights.  DH is anti-sushi, but he can't get around the (wrong) idea that it's all raw fish.  I like either veggie or the deep fried version - no raw fish for me, either.  Maybe he'll try mine if he knows what's in it.

Had a good visit with Gracie at the vet's, but after being instructed to keep it totally dry, I got the bandage soaked.  I thought the back yard was as dry as the front, and I was wrong.  So, I've been using the blow dryer.  It's mostly dry.  Ugh.  All we need is a fungus which was promised if I were to get it wet.  So, we might have to have it re-wrapped tomorrow.  I can be such a moron for a smart girl.  Sigh.

Pumpkin bread is in the oven, and I need to rush around and finish getting the kitchen together before DH comes home.  Oh, my, I have 25 minutes.

Later, guys,
    ~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Trucchi's...Tt..not Trecchi's

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Close enough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't know about you, Kargiver - first you catch her nail in the door and now you get her paw wet when you're not supposed to!  Gracie may want to be farmed out to a foster family soon.

Pumpkin bread sounds delicious - I never did get the banana bread made.  Tomorrow's anothr day.  And speaking of that, shutting the computer off for the night.

Pingo, hope by now you've connected with your son and family and that tomorrow there's some good news on that front.  Try not to worry.  DH is right, if there was anything going on, you would have been the first one he would have called.  

Enjoy your week-ends if noone is on board tomorrow or Sunday.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Finally heard from DS late last night. They are ok, but still on alert. Apparently the winds have shifted to a different direction - away from where they live. Besides Lee is getting weaker.
    While DIL stayed at home yesterday, DS spend most of the day with his FIL, BIL and nephews on the Ranch digging and cutting fire trenches  and containing the animals. They have the equipment for it, but they also have 5000 acres. When I talked to him, he was totally exhausted. But at least things are status quo for now.
    He was sorry, he hadn't contacted us earlier, but "-- you know Mom, my brain was on emergency alert - just didn't think of calling you. There were more pressing issues up front." And of course I agree with him. It was just a mother's worries. Guess I will never outgrow those, no matter how old my boys get. I am sure all you mothers can agree with me on that.
    Woke up to a very cold morning. Hard to believe the summer is gone. Just hoping for a few more days of Indian Summer.
    When I arrived here 46 years ago - late September - we had the most beautiful fall here. Went hiking with group of friends - DH included - to the White Mountains. It was a blazing scenery of colors.
    I don't know if it was the  mesmerizing colors or the fact he helped me get past  a snake (my phobia) that did it. But we have been together ever since.

Kar, how is Gracie's foot? And how is your itching, tt? 2 weeks have passed, I am hoping for you, you are getting some relief. - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, the gold star I've earned at the vet's will surely be peeled off my forehead this morning when I get her foot re-wrapped. :(  Poor Gracie!  Actually, she seems to be doing well despite mom's stupidity.

Pingo, thank God things are under control in TX for your people.  What hard work.  5000 acres?!  Still praying the storm and fires pass without disaster hitting your family.  Sounds like the tide has turned in a good way.

DH administered 3 of the 4 bee treatments for the Fall today.  10 days from now, the 4th, as per the directions.  He's out there doing something with the tractor now.  Our driveway has been a bit damaged by all the water so maybe he's taking care of that.

What a gorgeous day!  And, yes, cool this morning.  Brrr!  

Enjoy the fabulous weekend, everyone. :)

~kar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Good news from your son, Pingo.  Glad the winds have shifted.

Have been cleaning the l.r. and snapped on TV, station happened to be old reruns of MASH.  OMG, I'd forgotten how funny they were.  No shows on TV now that have the writers with the one liners that show had.

Beautiful day, warm but comfortable.  Procrastinating on lugging the wash down cellar to do.  Don't know why I hate to do that so much.  At least I've got the basket right in front of the cellar door so I have to practically hop over it to get by - sooner or later I'll take it down and get it in.  Been picking all morning, brown rice chips, hunk of cheese, a toll house cookie, and half an apple!  That after a couple of pieces of toast smothered with that raspberry jam!  Have the bananas out of the freezer and will get the loaf made this afternoon too, for breakfast tomorrow.

Back to my cleaning.  It's a good day for it.  Kargiver, I'm sure the vet feels your care of Gracie the past few months more than outshines any mistakes.  Gracie loves ya.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Good morning all1 what a gorgeous morning out1 i went out early for a walk to take a break from all this unpacking. winter, you said you still have unpacked boxws, and I thinki'll be still 'unboxed"? for a while. We moved from a large house to a condo, and we had to downsize a lot. pingo you must be so relieved to have heard from your TX family. When you and tt write about your families, i can just feel the love and pride you have for them.Oh, Kargiver! Poor Gracie! hugs to her. I'm sure your Good Mommy label is still intact. This a.m. I walked down to the open produce market-great prices! We moved out of the hotel on Labor Day, only to find we couldn't get down our street because of zillions of people gathered to see the Bruins Stanley Cup. So what to do? North End= restaurants. We had a nice meal while watching the festivities until the crowd broke. I still have some back posts from everyone to catch up with. I was skimming through- A new dog named Stitch? We had a Tigger and Amber has a Tigger. So funny. Our Stitches is ,as D.D. says "totally confuzzled". He's been moved around so much these past couple of months. O.K. now I'm rambling, and boring all of you. Take care.bg

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you are not a stupid mom. Accidents do happen. You didn't slam that slider on Gracie's toe on purpose.
    Yes, I am indeed grateful, that the winds changed. They are now blowing away from their properties. Not that it is helping much for Texas as a whole, but at least it is helping my dear ones. I still feel an ache for all those poor people there, that has been affected by those violent fires. We have made many friends there.
    This has been one of the most devastating draughts in memory. Scorching temps of 107 and more every day for months and no rain. No rain at all this year.

On a much better note. Our TX son has been selected as one of the attendees from his company to a summit/conference here in Boston in October. YEAH! He will attach two weekends (before and after) to spend w/us. Going to spend some alone time w/ him. Love my DIL - but alone time is precious. I am sure lots of moms will agree with me - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Oh, So weird. Since we moved out of the house, I'm back to my nom. T't, maybe it WAS The J.D. Stitches.bg

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: September 2011:
    [QUOTE]Kar, you are not a stupid mom. Accidents do happen. You didn't slam that slider on Gracie's toe on purpose. Yes, I am indeed grateful, that the winds changed. They are now blowing away from their properties. Not that it is helping much for Texas as a whole, but at least it is helping my dear ones. I still feel an ache for all those poor people there, that has been affected by those violent fires. We have made many friends there. This has been one of the most devastating draughts in memory. Scorching temps of 107 and more every day for months and no rain. No rain at all this year. On a much better note. Our TX son has been selected as one of the attendees from his company to a summit/conference here in Boston in October. YEAH! He will attach two weekends (before and after) to spend w/us. Going to spend some alone time w/ him. Love my DIL - but alone time is precious. I am sure lots of moms will agree with me - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

That's quite an honor, Pingo.  And, how nice for you and DH to have him within easy access for that long a period of time.

Saw a couple of cars stop and get out and throw a cloth over something semi moving in the grass - my heart stopped beating literally for a minute (thinking of Pretty Baby) until I saw it was a snapper turtle.  Was going to go out and tell them he was just moving from one pond down the street to the other, but then another guy stopped his car and got out with a bigger cloth, I presume to cover him and be able to pick him up to move him.   Stayed out of it, that's when I went down cellar to throw a wash in, and when I came back up, everyone, turtle included, was gone.  They probably lugged him back to the edge of the pond he came from.  Unless you're from around here, you don't realize there is a second pond down at the end of a side street.

So, love a day like today, weatherwise.  If only it didn't have to lead into the winter months.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My gold star was ripped right off my forehead!  I did walk her right into a soggy part of the yard only hours after being told, "Keep it 100% dry." Oh, well, I have my moments and life goes on, thankfully.  She did great at the vet's, again, and at least this gave us an opportunity to see that the bed is looking better than it did yesterday.  Thanks for all the hugs and well wishes coming her way.  I'll give her a big squeeze from you when she gets up from her nap.

BG and Winter - I think I still have a box or two that still hasn't been unpacked, or "unboxed," lol, love that.  Moving is a huge task that seems to never end!

Pingo, of course, we always feel grateful when our loved ones are out of harm's way even though we want everyone to be.  Hope you won't beat yourself up for that.  

tt, so happy to learn it wasn't a pet.  Lucky turtle to get that help!

DH is out helping a friend with a patio installation project.  I'm cleaning out the fridge.  Gracie is napping.  Exciting times. LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you and I was doing the same at approximately the same time. LOL
    Cleaning out the fridge. Just don't know, how mine can be this messy and disorganized with just the two of us. Of course we had the kids home last week, and DH just stick in stuff, where ever he find a place. If he doesn't find a space right in the front on one of the shelves - he just pushes things aside until it fits. Why can't he just put the item back, from where he removed it? And then of course he must move everything around to find whatever he needs, even though it is just right in front of his eyes. Aggravates me more than anything else.
    But he is a good guy, so I put up with it. - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

While you 2 were cleaning out the fridge, I was making Winter's banana bread.  Comes out in about 10 minutes, and the house smells soo good.  Cheerio has taken to a dark closet to sleep on top of the clothes that are waiting to be ironed.  The breeze coming in the windows is a little too cool for her.

Nurse friend is weighing in today by email on the"problem" (not to be discussed on these boards further), and making her suggestion.  I told her my doctor has heard multiple times of "my friend, the nurse", and at this point usually says to me, "Maybe you want to check with - your friend, the nurse first"!!  He, as most doctors, has a huge ego.  Next time I can catch his ear, I will mention "nurse's" suggestions - just to give him a jab.  Luckily we have the type of relationship where we can do that to each other.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, at least your DH puts things back that he takes out at all, lol.  I'm not sure how things pile up and go bad, etc., with just the two of us, either, but what can I say, the same thing happened when I lived alone.  So, maybe it's me, or maybe it's just a thing that happens to all fridges.  I prefer to believe the latter. ;)

tt, Cheerio knows Fall is upon us and is where I'd like to be - curled up somewhere cozy.  Mm, banana bread.  Yummy!  We're already into the 2nd pumpkin bread made yesterday if you can believe that.

Gracie is lamenting being laid up; she loves Fall, and Daddy is back and working outside happy he helped his friend but feeling behind, now, on his own chores.

I'm still pining for my kitchen mat's arrival.  Amazon said the estimated delivery date was Sept 2 - 8.  They are usually so fast that I'm admittedly spoiled.  Just think if I'd had to wait until my January birthday for it!  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What mat is that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A couple of weeks ago while shopping with dear SIL at the Natick Collection, we visited Williams Sonoma and, while checking out, stood on their cleverly placed kitched work mat.  It's 3/4" very springy, dense foam, one-piece construction.  You know how many hours a day I stand at the counter, and add to that it's about an inch too high for me making shoulder and back strain even worse.  So, as an early 40th birthday present DH gave the thumbs up on a 5' x 4' Wellness Mat that will fit tightly between the sink/counter and the island, my whole work space.  After a long day in the kitchen, my feet, shoulders (bursitis), and mid-back are killing me.  I am eager for it to arrive as I'm sure it will help tremendously.  I ordered it from Amazon, free shipping, not WS, though, because WS didn't carry the size I wanted.  Good thing I looked online for a better price; I assumed they carried everything there was...far from it, actually.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That sounds like a worthwhile investment.  I've read that a work mat does help a lot with back problems.  Amazon is a great site, isn't it?  Even just to google and get an idea of what's out there and the best prices.

Do you still have veggies in your garden?  This must be a busy time of year with blanching and freezing.  My mother and I used to put up tons of tomatoes.  I loved just the working side by side.  She had grown up on a farm, so there was never any doubt that she knew what she was doing with preserving.  That was back in my 20's.  I can still see her hands as she filled the jars and snapped the covers.

Touch of Fall in the air, so changed the blanket on my bed to my fall one today.  Washed the mattress and pillow covers, and everything is fresh, fresh, fresh.  Love the ritual of the changing of the blankets from one season to the other.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Loved the visual of your mom in the kitchen, tt.  I don't can, but I do blanch and freeze things, and things are still coming, the longer the better.  Brussel sprouts will be next, my fav.

Gotta love Amazon, for sure.  I like it for reviews, too...so many people review things you get a great feel for 'em before you buy, a must w/online shopping in my book.  This mat gets great reviews - I can hardly wait!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am in need of "blanche..freeze" info

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Opened up the blinds for Cheerio, flooding the ironing board with sunshine this morning  -  She looked up and squinted saying, "thank you" !

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: September 2011:
    [QUOTE]I am in need of "blanche..freeze" info
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

I'm probably not your best source - I've been looking up how to do it online and doing the methods that pop up the most often for each veggie.  I really have no idea what I'm doing.  However, I can tell you what I've done for specific veggies, for better or worse:

green beans:  blanch (at a boil) 3 minutes, ice bath 3 minutes, freeze in dinner portions in food saver
    chopped summer squash and zucchini:  freeze without blanching in food saver
    tomatoes:  cut out bad spots and core, freeze on cookie sheet, then store in food saver bags (cannot use food saver on non-frozen tomatoes; the juice messes up the process)
    berries:  freeze in pie sized (rounded quart) portions after washing in zip lock freezer bags

fwiw, that's what I've done.  I've used the tomatoes many times this way, and I have friends who have done their zucchini this way, too.  To use the tomatoes, simply put them in a bowl of very hot water and the skins will practically fall off.  Use in soups and sauces only, same with squash.  Not sure how the green beans will come out - soup or plate worthy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, tt, what a great photo of Cheerio!  I love her sleepy look on her perch.

Here are a couple of our poor pup...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, how cute is that.  She so wants to be in Daddy's lap!  And the bootie - - - just too much!