September 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: September 2011

Aww.. Happy Birthday Buster!  Glad you are feeling better!  Sorry you are not feeling so hot PC.  Seems like sometimes when we have downtime our bodies realize how hard they have been working.  Hopefully the weekend finds you feeling better.

TT- I, of course, am partial to your current avatar!  Recognized that view of the channel right off the bat. 

Pingo and MM - enjoy your company this weekend.  You will both be busy.

AFM, got out today for some "hunting" (oops, some "lunch" Wink) and got three pair of work pants that are 2, yes 2, sizes smaller than the ones I am wearing!  woo hooo... my weekend is off to a great start!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's fantastic on the pant size Novem.  Did you do anything for your birthday last weekend?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

No, tt, last weekend was low key.  This weekend the whole family will be in NH and we are doing dinner and cake for me & my littlest niece who turned 4 today.  She has todl the whole family that she does not want our party at the house, but rather at the waterslides!  Oh boy!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I will be leaving soon, so want to wish everyone a safe and happy long weekend.  Chat on Tuesday!

Happy Birthday Buster!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Congratulations on the weight loss, Novem.  To go down 2 sizes is fantastic.  I was going to send some choc chip squares and a container of that mint gelato over to you, but of course now, I'll not do that.  Don't want to sabotage you.  I'll bite the bullet and eat them myself.  (The gelato btw is delicious).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: September 2011:
    [QUOTE]I will be leaving soon, so want to wish everyone a safe and happy long weekend.  Chat on Tuesday! Happy Birthday Buster!
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

What a cute cake! Enjoy your week-end - I'll be here, all alone - 1, 2, 3 days, but that's alright, don't worry about me.

Winter, I don't think you'd want this rash or whatever it is, so I won't take you up on your kind offer - this week-end at least.

Novem, I envy you your trip to the Lake.  Obviously, that's where my thoughts are going.  But that's alright, I'll be here all alone - did I mention it will be, 1,2,3 days?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I don't believe I'd catch your rash.  Hopefully you will have a visitor. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Ooops - looks like I mixed up who asked the question - sorry Winter.  Thanks for taking the hit on the gelato for me, tt.  I do allow myself a small soft serve on the Pier though.  I eat most of it, and then when I know I should stop, I let puppy have the rest.  He licks it right out of the cone!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, the avatar, you are displaying is beautiful, but just not YOU. Sorry, I had to say that. Where is Cheerio?
    Just came back from an afternoon of grocery shopping. tt, I did read that you went to TJs. But I was up the Costco way - to pick up some meds for Mr. Pingo' s eye. Peter was ashamed to tell me the price, and I almost fainted, when  heard it. $80 for a tiny, tiny bottle of eye drops. OMG - they better be working.
    Then I picked up the racks (of lamb) plus asparagus and some smoked salmon. Heavy duty on the pocket book.
    So up there, I went  to TJs at 114 of course. Spent another good sum of money for stuff "they like". I am sure you all must have done that several times over for your children. Dropping all that  off and placing it in the right places, I went out again to MB.
    Sons are getting together with their friends, so I was asked to buy some "soda". I was standing there in the aisle and didn't know, what to pick. LOL (Haven't bought that kind of stuff in ages. Just shows me how old I really am :( ). One lady came by with a son maybe 14 years old, and I asked her, "What kind of soda does young men drink these days?". She helped me picking out a few, while her son was a much better picker-outer. (Do you know, that no one with a "life" drinks coca cola anymore? I didn't.)
    Well, everything is at the house - now I just have to put it away.
    After that i will be making my Mu Shu - easy enough. I know, our son will love it. And I took the day off? Hello? I have been a lot busier today, than if I had worked. But of course this "work" is pleasure.
    I hope you all will have  a lovely long weekend. Chat later  - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Enjoy, Pingo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you, my friend! Son has landed. Now waiting for Mr. P to bring him home. Hope you have found the reason for your allergic break out - and that the week end will be better - Pingo
    In Response to Re: September 2011:
    [QUOTE]Enjoy, Pingo.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hope everyone is enjoying the nice long weekend.  Looks like a fabulous day!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm around, Princess.  Think the others are either busy with sons (Pingo),  off to a family reunion (Kargiver), or not on the computer week-ends.

It is gorgeous, a little cool breeze coming in the windows, keeping it comfortable for working around.  Got a lot done this morning, and then sat down to the jigsaw puzzle.  It's a good one, and I'm enjoying doing it.

Had a couple of calls from telephone friends (those who live far enough away that we don't visit in person), so that gave me good start to the week-end. One was the friend who just had the extensive back surgery.  I told her her voice sounds so much stronger and so good since she had it, but she again said, if she ever knew she was going to be in this much continual pain she never would have had it - a 13 1/2" incision.

Hope you're feeling better and able to enjoy the last of your vacation, and that Buster's feeling good.  Cheerio's in on the puzzle card table, washing up, ready to dig in and find those pieces I can't.

Got up early, so getting hungry again already.  May make the lasagna I was going to for G.T., tonight.  Have fresh strawberries all mashed for the shortcakes I was having for dessert, but may just put them in the freezer. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good afternoon,
    Just came in after hanging out on the deck for breakfast/brunch, celebrating son's birthday. Got up early and made the traditional blueberry muffins. That and bowls of fruit. Plenty of coffee and juice. And of course a bouquet of roses and cards. We have a gift for him, but it is an accessory to a gift TX son and DIL will give him, when they get here tonight, so he won't get it until tonight after he has opened their gift.
    Made some changes. We will be going out for dinner tonight and the racks will be for tomorrow night. They have plans with friends during the early part of the day tomorrow; that will give me plenty of time to prepare dinner.
    Had a big surprise this morning. Some animal(s) ate all my tomato plants during the night. Nothing left but the stems. Fruit and leaves all gone. Never seen anything like this before. They were not doing well this year, but there were some green tomatoes, I was looking forward to pickle. I am guessing it must have been deer. We know, they are out there, but haven't seen much of them this summer. Besides, they never touched my tomato plants before. Coyotes are also here, but they never touched the plants either. Could it be a bear? I am stumped.
    Gorgeous day out there. Just love weather like this. Take care all and enjoy the day - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Saturday all.  Boys arrived in one piece.  Last night, I took them to a neighborhood restaurant and later walked over to the river so they could look across and see Boston at night.  Even I never get tired of that view.  This morning we all went to breakfast with my father and DD has taken them on college tours. So, I have a few hours to rest my foot before we go to the north end.   An added bonus of the visit is my GS's friend plays piano and has taken lessons since age 5. He sat down at my piano last night and played for an hour.  That was wonderful. The piano hasn't had a workout for ages.  I had it tuned when my granddaughters were staying here because they take lessons, although they are less than enthusiastic about it.  Duck tour tomorrow followed by cookout next door.  It's been awhile since I've had people around the house and I like it.

pingo, deer will eat tomatoes. We had a problem with them in Maine for many years "raiding" the garden. Someone suggested putting coyote urine around the perimeter.  Didn't deter them a bit.  Enjoy your family time.  Sounds like a wonderful weekend.

tt, loved the picture of your puzzle.  Made me realize Christmas is just a few months away! Hope your rash is better.  Sorry you will be alone this weekend.

princess, hope you are feeling better and glad to hear Buster is  doing well.  Good news, indeed.

mothermitzi   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just came on to post an answer to your question about deer eating tomatoes, pingo, and see MM had already answered it.  Googled www.hobbyfarms.com and this was part of the write up:

"Ideally you should be able to enjoy having nature on your doorstep without having a little voice in the back of your mind wondering:

• How many tomato plants have deer eaten today?
    • Which row of carrots are gophers going to attack next?
    • How many rabbits can one garden support? "
    So, the answer is, indeed they do.

You have beautiful weather for your sons to be there and to enjoy your deck (I hope, no turkeys?)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad your guests arrived safely, mm.  So glad the weather is cooperating for their tours.  It seems as tho you live in such a central spot that they can get to see a lot of Boston.

Wonderful to have someone be able to just sit down at a piano and play.  G.T. does too, altho he doesn't read music, plays by ear, but I love to hear him.  Are the girls still taking lessons?  Maybe if they have a chance to hear your grandson's friend play, that will give them incentive to stick with it.

How is the foot doing?  Perhaps if you try taping it before you go out it will give it a little needed extra support.

Me and the itching not doing good today at all, seems to be really aggravated more, plus new ones still breaking out. Thought by now the prednasone would be quieting it down more each day.  Haven't been near the moonflower patch today, so I'm back racking my brain.  Think I'll start keeping a log of what I eat each day.  Won't let it get ahead of me tho, if it seems to get too bad will take myself to the E.R.

Yeah, the puzzle does remind us just how close Christmas is, doesn't it?  Scarey.  Enjoy your week-end with your company.  It's always nice to have young people around.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Sorry to hear you are still having break outs.  What a drag.  Our fair Irish complexion makes us prone to skin cancers and rashes, as well.  Oh well, good thing we have that Irish wit and tenacity to get us through.  Do take care.

My son plays, too, and very well, although he doesn't want anybody to know he can play.  I don't understand it and stopped asking why.  Hearing GS's friend play last night reminded me of my son.  I'm not musical at all.  Can barely play the piano and can't hold a tune for the life of me. I love listening to music of all types though. One of the girls is taking lessons and the other switched to violin.

I am going to tape my foot before we go. There will be considerable walking as we're taking the T.  Trying to park in the north end is fruitless. I'm going to call the doctor on Tuesday. It's been six weeks now and honestly, it's not a lot better.

Is your new avatar Lake Winnie?

mothermitzi 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, it's the channel that goes under the road and leads right over to Weirs Beach.  That's where I'd like to be.  Funny, when we vacationed up there every year, as we sat outside the room overlooking the Lake, the last night there I would think, "Goodbye Lake Winnie, in case I don't ever see you again."  Enjoyed the times up there so much.

I think you're wise to double check with the doctor and perhaps have him take another x-ray to make sure your foot has healed properly.  After a break it's not unusual for arthritis to set in, but I wouldn't think this soon.  He may suggest wearing a boot for a period of time.

I had put the cortisone cream on my skin during the night instead of the Sarna, and that honestly seemed to irritate it more.  I could hardly wait to get up this morning and get it washed off and the lotion spread on.  And then, I spread my face lotion all over it by mistake!  Ended up having to wash that off and finally squirting the right bottle of lotion on and rubbing that in!  Talk about senior moments - -  So between the cortisone and all those washings, hopefully, the flare up in the itching and blotches, is just from me.  I imagine new breakouts will continue until whatever I've had a reaction to is out of my system, or the prednasone has things stabilized.  Think I'll make my Irish lasagna as my treat tonight, but won't be the same with a glass of pinot grigio to go with.  That's probably not a good idea tho.

Well, glad you were around to keep me company a bit today.  Have the house sparkling, and altho there is still plenty else I could be doing, probably will snap on TV and see what there is to watch.  Enjoy the rest of your week-end.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hello all.  TT - sorry to hear that you are still itching.  Seems like the prednisone should have kicked in.

Pingo - so sorry about your tomato plants.  Pickled green tomaotes sound so good.  Sometimes I buy them in the jar, but DH doesn't eat them and I would be tempted to eat the whole jar - too much sodium in those.  Funny, I hate anything sweet (strange, I know) but anything pickled or spicy - yum!

Went to visit mom again today.  Took her out for a bit, but it's so exhausting for me to lift that wheelchair in and out of my SUV.  Plus, you never think about how difficult it is to open big doors at stores, etc and try to get a wheelchair through.  I am only 4'11" so it can be exhausting.  You'd be surprised at how many people just watch me struggle than helping me with the door.  Oh well, every now and then some nice people do help.

Anyway, had a nice lunch with her.   Went to the European in Chelmsford, which was pretty good.  Getting to know my way around there now that she's up there.

Well, guess I am rambling now, lol.  I'll be around this weekend tt, so I'll keep you company.

Pingo and MM - enjoy your visitors.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Princess.  Good to know someone else will be on the boards.

My lasagna supper ended up just being biscuits and butter.  Had bought some Jiffy biscuit mix to make shortcakes for strawb shortcake, but ended up making 8 biscuits and having a couple with butter for supper.  My kitchen was all cleaned up and I just didn't feel like dragging out pots etc and then having to do the clean up for lasagna.  I topped off with a dish of banana pudding.  I'm sure I'll be snacking all night.  Hope there's something decent to watch on TV tonight.  Didn't find anything this afternoon, so worked on the puzzle and read some of my book group book.

A lot warmer tonight than last.  The open window will feel good for sleeping.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll have something more interestng to chat about than "the itch"!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I'm here..just nothing interesting to post...Honeyy and I are re-vaping the area where Mom was going to be..We have a friend with a college student taht needs a place for a little while...thought this might be a nice prepartion for our times to come..this weekend we are sealcoating the driveways...and of coarse we are socializing with the neighborhood...also trying to collect funds for a Chicago trip I would like to take in October...we'll see

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Nice to see your post when I got up this morning, Icer.  You don't seem to be on the boards too much any more, not like the "old days".  Is your business keeping you busy?  That's a good thing, if that's the reason.  Don't ever feel there's nothing interesting going on in your life to write about, I think we all love getting a glimpse into someone else's daily activities and thoughts.

Ended up being so humid when I went to bed that I switched on the A/C.  Helped me get a better night's sleep, tho up and at em early this morning so I could shower and get the lotion on again.  Seems to be melding into a huge blotch that covers the whole inside of one arm, one thigh, and then those chicken pox poxes here and there.  I've a feeling I'll be on a second dose of prednisone when this ends Wednesday.  Chinline itchy, but thank Heavens, not noticeable.  Have been out and about.

What is the trip to Chicago you talk about - something you personally want to take, or is it associated with one of the charities you're involved with?  I have a friend whose nephew lives there and she visits quite often and finds a lot to do there.

I like the idea of your taking in a college student for a bit.  It adds so much to have a young person around, they bring so much vitality with them.  How is your mother doing?  I think you intended to have her live with you a lot sooner than this, didn't you?  It's good she is still able to keep her own place.  Independence is so important.  To have to get around and do things for yourself and find new ways of doing things you took for granted before, is a good exercise, mentally and physically.

Sunday morning, so breakfast of eggs and I've got those biscuits I can have with.  I think I heard last night that the rain will miss us, so looks like a good rest of the week-end for everyone, especially those with outdoor plans.  Chat later.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning tt (and everyone else of course), I am so sorry you are still suffering. I remember giving the kids oatmeal baths, when they had rashes for whatever reason. Have you tried that? It is very soothing. If you have a blender you can make your own oatmeal powder from good old fashioned or instant oats. But you can also buy it in ready made packages. Dump it in the bath tub, swish around and soak yourself until the bath water gets too cold.
    mm, it sounds like you are having a great time with your young visitors. And how lucky those two young men are, that they dumped into a family, that takes such good care of them. Just the right weather for sight seeing - nice and cool and hopefull no rain.
    Icer, you must be very busy. We don't see you much on the boards these days :(
    Pleasant surprise when you do post. How is son and GF doing? Is there a baby on the way yet? I remember you telling us, that were trying.
    Had a lovely evening with our sons and DIL. I am glad we switched to going out for dinner instead of eating at home last night. Their plane was an hour late, and I would have had dried out racks. Went to Beacon Grill in Woburn. It was our first time there. The food was excellent and so was the service. I saw, it got a couple of bad reviews, but I can highly recommend it. Will definitely go back.
    Up early to make breakfast for the "crew". They are getting together with friends early to spend the day with them. Then the 5 of us will have dinner at home tonight.
    You all enjoy this lovely Sunday. Chat later - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, I've been listening to the new old guy who built on the vacant lot a few houses down - riding around on his lawn mover (for want of a better description!) for an hour now.  It is the most God awful racket.  He came from a large farm where he boarded horses to this small plot, and drives this humungous heavy piece of machinery around and around his property.  It kicks up a cloud of dust like a herd of cattle coming across an open plain, that I can see even from my kitchen window!  Noone can possibly have that much grass to cut.  I think it's his recreation, but I can't believe one of his neighbors on either side or on the rise above him don't tell him 7:15 on a Sunday morning is too early.  It's not like he has to do it then, he's in his 80's and his time is his own, all the time.  Annoying!

8:42 - He's still going!  Maybe he fell asleep in the seat!