September 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: September 2011

Good morning everyone.  Poor Gracie, Kar, she' has gone through so much this past year.  bg, my son is doing ok so far.  He has soccer practice twice a week with a game on Saturday and tomorrow he is going to check out a Boy Scout meeting to see if he'd like to do that.  He has a biography project due on the 11th, so we will need to get started on that since he's read his book twice. 
    tt, have a good morning out, wish I could get some pancakes, but alas, I am at work but I did just make my Kashi Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, making the pancakes this morning, I thought of my GD who is expecting her first baby next month.  I would take her a lot of week-ends and one of the things she loved Nana to make for breakfast was from scratch pancakes.  When I tucked a little recipe box in her Christmas basket this past year, one of the handwritten recipes I included was "Nana's Pancakes - that you loved as a kid)". I don't ever make them but what I see her adorable little face at the table saying, "I think I can eat 3, Nana!".  She usually did, and sometimes more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's sweet tt, that you gave her some hand written recipe.  I would have loved something like that from my grandma.  My mom makes the best fudge, recipe came from her dad.  I have started asking her for it.  So she told me she will come over and make it and I can watch her, as she doesn't have it written down.  No one else in the family has it, so I'm very excited she's giving it to me.  She told me she was given it as the youngest daughter so she's giving it to me.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's a nice tradition of the fudge, Winter, but now you'll have to start a little different one and give it to the youngest (only) son!  I love fudge too.  Had a wonderful recipe a girl I first worked with gave me, but somehow over the years the sugar amount became muddled.  It makes a grainy, not smooth fudge, that's what I love.  If I didn't have the candy jar full - well, that's a lie, only half full now - I'd make a batch.  Maybe I'll start a list of stuff to make for the holidays and add that to the list so I won't forget.  May even make a batch to take to G.T.'s for Thanksgiving.  Their friends love anything chocolate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning ladybugs.

Buster and Gracie are living parallel lives these days.  Sweet things.  I agree Kar, if she has to have some work done, might as well do it all at once and prevent future problems.

Cal -there were two Boxer rescues (and tons of Boxers) at the pet expo.  They are such sweet, soulful dogs.  One was even in a doggie wheelchair, but he was scooting all over the place like it was the most natural thing in the world.  I can see why you love them.

TT - so sweet to hand down your recipe.

I've decided to host Thanksgiving again.  I've invited both sets of parents, and now need to call around to the siblings/ILs and invte them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yesterday, poking around Home Goods really got me in the Thanksgiving spirit.  Was looking for something to bring to G.T.'s, but I'll wait another couple of weeks.  Marshall's always has good things to pick up as a little giftie too.  Have been googling all over trying to find the scent of liquid hand soap DIL loves.  I bought it at Marshall's probably almost a year ago, it's a raspberry/melon and is delicious enough to eat!  As with most companies, that one has moved on to grapefruit mix scents now.  Look in Marshall's every time I go in one, hoping to find another of the one I have in my bathroom, but no luck.

Time to go.  I'll catch up later.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi ladies,

I am still not getting email notifications of new postings, so annoying to have to keep logging in.  I don't get any red stars either to see if there is a new post.  Not sure what is going on.  I did ask BDC about it, but have had no reply yet.  My new phone should be coming today.  Can't wait.  Enjoy your day everyone!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm so excited for you to get your phone, amber!  You are going to love it!  I was resistent to getting a smortphone, but once I made the switch I was so happy that I did.  Its so convenient. 

Does it come all set up and ready to go, or do you have to call or take it some place to activate it? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

TT your story about the pancakes made my eyes well up with tears...Our Grandmother used to make fudge...so the next post was poingant to me as well. Right before she passed was my son's birthday...she gave him fudge with the recipe.

Yes, the crew had a hard time yesterday..they decided not to go back today either...I had a similiar thing happen to me in Marshfield a few years ago...It was a 3 day weekend, and they hire a lot of tempory help...Rent-a-cop they used to call them. I got pulled over for going through a yellow light...At the time I was working in Marshfield...the officer made a mistake when he plugged in something and it turned up..to him...that I had a warrant out....I did not...He took me into custody whereupon it was quickly discovered his mistake....I was released but I was also cautioned that the mistake may remain in the system and maybe I should stay close to my home...I did...I left the town shoirtly after that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Sorry to hear of such another big expense for you, Kar. You and Gracie have been through a lot lately. But you are right, might as well bite the bullet and have it all done, while she is under. Any date set?
    Good your toe is better, November. I will also have the family for TG. Both sons will be here :) this year. We will be going to Texas for Christmas. That will be a completely new experience.
    mm, speaking of TX. Please tell your cousin's daughter, that our DIL a Texan, went to BU and later MIT. She spent 6 years here and loved it. And that included the weather.
    Re fudge. Both our sons made it in nursery school with their teacher. It was smooth and delicious and I have the recipe. I figured if a nursery school kid can make it, so can I. But, no. It always come out grainy for me - so I have given up on the fudge making, even though DH loves it.
    tt,  cute idea to give your GD the pancake recipe, she loved as a child. I use to make them from scratch for years, but I found that TJ's pancake/waffle mix is just as good. So, I have been using that, when I make it just for us. When the boys are at home, I go the 9 yards. They want mom's pancakes. I bet, if they didn't see the TJ package, they wouldn't know the difference.
    So, I made your meatloaf last night, tt. I won't  be making it again any time soon. DH practically had to chisel it out of the pan. I lowered the temp. as you had suggested to 350, but still it was completely burnt and stuck to the sides and the bottom of the pan. After we got out some pieces, the taste was wonderful. Rounded it out with parsley buttered peas and mashed potatoes.
    I think I know the culprit. The dressing contains High Fructose Corn Syrup and sugar burns. I hope some of you would try to make it, and see how you do. Again, it taste great - so it is really worth a try.
    Looks like we are going to have a beautiful day today. Decided to take off. Might as well enjoy Indian summer, while it is still here. No specific plans - but I am sure I will come up with something.  Have a good one - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I'm not sure Winter if it comes set up.  But I am lucky I have 2 tech guys in the office who are young and really good at smart phones. They have already recommended free apps for me to download.  I can't wait and I think once I know my way around it, I will love it.  Icer, that story is incredible...  and scary..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, 

The vet said that it's fairly common for a dog to break a tooth.  We think she was grabbing for something on the patio.  Thanks for all your well wishes.

Poor Buster, too!  I didn't know that boxers were prone to that problem; actually, I didnt' know that could BE a problem.  Gum surgery sounds like a big, scary deal, too.

bg, a convection oven is one that has a fan to circulate the air in the oven.  It browns things faster (or at all given that it's a microwave) and generally improves the efficiency of the oven.  I've never had a convection microwave (I have a convection oven), but I'm betting there are tips in the manual.  If not, here's a link you can take a look at:  using a convection microwave

I've been late getting online this morning (and sitting on this post awhile before finishing, actually) because the cable guy was here 2 hours fixing a problem that wasn't actually cable related - it had to do with our receiver.  He fixed it!  YAY!  He's been out before (with a problem with the internet), and he is the BEST.

On the docket for today is baking squash, making pumpkin bread, crackers, eggplant spread, and cabbage (for dinner).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---I was released but I was also cautioned that the mistake may remain in the system and maybe I should stay close to my home.----

That is terrible, Icer. To be taken into custody innocently, is bad enough, but they warned YOU to stay at home, because THEY had made a mistake? Why couldn't they fix the mistake right there and then? They apparently found out it was a mistake. I am sure you and Honey "love" Marshfield. LOL
    - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Amber, BDC stopped sending e-mail notifications, when they changed provider some time ago. Due to the Privacy Act. You should be getting a gold star for any new post, you haven't read.
    And I just don't understand, why you have to keep logging in. I don't. I have the Forums on my task bar. That is all I have to hit.
    Good luck with your new phone. - Pingo

In Response to Re: September 2011:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, I am still not getting email notifications of new postings, so annoying to have to keep logging in.  I don't get any red stars either to see if there is a new post.  Not sure what is going on.  I did ask BDC about it, but have had no reply yet.  My new phone should be coming today.  Can't wait.  Enjoy your day everyone!
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, crystals form in fudge causing it to be grainy if the heating, cooling, and stirring directions aren't followed exactly.  The recipe should call for temperatures and stirring instructions with respect to the temperature of the cooling fudge.  If it is followed exactly, it should be smooth...if you ever do want to try it, again.  Knowing this, however, has deterred me from even trying in the first place.

What material was the pan for the meatloaf?  tt, what did you use?  If one is metal and another glass, it could explain the burning.  Glass should be used at 25 degrees under that of the same recipe baked in metal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I have been getting email notifications right along until yesterday and i don't get any gold stars.  Weird..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber, you will love your phone.  I have a Droid and it's very easy to use and many of the apps are fun.  I even an do Mobile Banking from my phone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

----What material was the pan for the meatloaf?----

I used the same pan, I use for all my meat loaves - LE CRUESET. (I believe it is stoneware). But I know, it must be the sugar content, b/c it dissolved after less than an hour of soaking in hot sudsy water, and didn't have to sit overnight like it does, if you have some real gooey burnt on stuff. I did grease the pan first all over with olive oil, as I usually do. - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree, the sugar is probably what burned.  And, your olive oil method and Le Creuset loaf pan are great.  But, what temperature works without burning for one pan material (metal) would be too hot in another material (glass or ceramic) and could be the dfifference between burning and not burning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

BG,
    If you have a Micro/Convection Oven - it will take some time to get used to. Use the instruction manual, that came with it. If you don't have the manual, you can find it on the net. They also sell great convection oven cook books. I browsed, but never needed one. Eventually you will love it.
    You can use it as  just a microwave, just an oven or as a combination of the two. I cook my TG turkey in it with the combination. Instead of having the bird sitting in the oven for 5 plus hours and dry out, I can cook up to a 14 lbs turkey (that is the largest size, that will fit in mine) for less than 1 and 1/2 hour and it comes out wonderfully moist. Since we have a family with a several vegetarians - that size bird is plenty for us. But if I have a larger meat eating crowd, I just cook two smaller birds - still in much less time than in a conventional oven. But the best part, they will not be dried out.
    Also, you can bake two pies, two cakes etc. by using the stands, that came with it - with out having to move them around. The hot air circulates around them and bake them equally well. After getting used to it, I found that it had lots of advantages. Good luck with yours - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I used a pyrex glass pan as I do with all my meatloaves and breads.  Mine didn't stick to the pan and I never grease a meatloaf pan, I figure there's enough fat that melts in the hamburg.  Perhaps you used a grind of hamburg that had less fat, as I said, I buy 85 or 89% lean.  Could have been my amounts were off too, I didn't measure everything, I don't with a meatloaf, just approximates.  Anyway, sorry for the trouble and waste of ingredients.  As for the fat content of the Ken's Creamy Italian dressing - my motto is everything in moderation - with the dressng being divided between the number of slices I get, I don't worry.  It's not something I have weekly.

I think SS was making your noodle casserole last night.  Hope she had better luck trying a new recipe.

P.S.  I definitely won't post my GRAINY fudge recipe which none of you seem to think is the way fudge should be - I personally love it, don't care for the SMOOTH stuff.  Different folks like different strokes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Huh, guess that wasn't it.  I've been thinking about getting new loaf pans...

Pingo, your post about your convection mic makes me want one!  I'd LOVE to be able to do a turkey like that.  14 lbs is plenty for us, too.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, my mom's fudge is very hard, but oh so good.  I'd share the recipe but I don't have it yet.  Is your fudge a hard or a soft fudge?  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You shouldn't share it, Winter, it sounds as tho it's something passed down in your family.

My fudge is a hard fudge too.  I've got to stop talking about it or I'll run out and get the ingredients and make a pan!

ETA:  NOW, see what you've started?  I'm sitting watching Y&R with the whole jar of candy in my lap!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, you make it and I'll be over for some :) I'll stop talking about it now.  Need to get lunch.