September 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: September 2011

My father called it that as well. :) I'm off to make my lunch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I believe my father got that saying when he was in the military?  That is what they served them and they nicknamed it?  Am I remembering that correctly?

ETA:  I also remember my mother making it with chipped beef?  that sound familiar too? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Pingo, you are so considerate - but what balance would there be in friendships if everyone has good times and bad times all at the same time?  Please brighten this dreary day with details about the weekend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes Amber my father interchanged the name as well with the chipped beef.  He also got it from the military.  He fought in the Korean War. I won't call it a conflict because according to him, we were there, we fought, people were killed it's a war.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Pingo, good to hear from you and that all is well.  Would love to hear more about your weekend, though!  

BIL was good with us - he is trying to convince me he's changed so he's been on his best behavior around me (not around anyone else).  The day before we got there, however, he was his usual mean self with SIL and her family, but the party itself and time at the in-law's was without incident for us (but not without palpable anxiety).  Gracie was at the kennel (which she loves) because I don't trust BIL to stay away from her.  SIL did the same with their dog for the same reason.

Whenever I get up at that horrible hour, I'm a wreck for a couple of days; I usually get a migraine, actually.  I totally understand how you felt!

I think my grandfather called chicken a la king something similar.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Talking about memories being triggered, G.T. just emailed me that mentioning the lobster and mac and cheese triggered a memory of a rainy day when he lived down the Cape and would go in for a bowl of lobster bisque at a local restaurant.  We all go down memory lane.  Good we have nice ones to pull out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks Winter, not sure if my memory served me right.  I was just a kid.  And I totaly agree with his philosophy.  Same applies to Vietnam that my BIL served 2 tours of..

In Response to Re: September 2011:
    [QUOTE]Yes Amber my father interchanged the name as well with the chipped beef.  He also got it from the military.  He fought in the Korean War. I won't call it a conflict because according to him, we were there, we fought, people were killed it's a war.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They called chipped beef that in WWII, as well, if that's why my grandfather's saying it means.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Friend just sent me this - how appropriate as I'm doing a jigsaw puzzle now -

A little silver-haired lady calls her neighbor and says, "Please come over here and help me. I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to get started." 

Her neighbor asks, "What is it supposed to be when it's finished?" 

The little silver haired lady says, "According to the picture on the box, it's a rooster." 

Her neighbor decides to go over and help with the puzzle. 

She lets him in and shows him where she has the puzzle spread all over the table. 

He studies the pieces for a moment, then looks at the box, then turns to her and says, 

"First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to assemble these pieces into anything resembling a rooster."

He takes her hand and says, "Secondly, I want you to relax. Let's have a nice cup of tea, and then," he said with a deep sigh ............ 

"Let's put all the Corn Flakes back in the box."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That was so funny!!!  I am sitting here laughing all by myself!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]That was so funny!!!  I am sitting here laughing all by myself!! 
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

I know.  I sat here and howled.  Still do every time I read it -

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

MM, how did you make out at the doctor's?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, this just reminded me about my first very own dryer and washer. We had just bought a 40 year old home - they called it a handyman's special. And believe me, it was - DH and I learned how to repair and remodel everything in that house.
    The washer and dryer was going in the basement and the foundation was made of field stones, so DH was worried about water coming in. He build a 6 inch platform on which the new dryer and washer were placed and large enough for me to stand on, when loading and unloading. Good thing. We had water coming in a couple of times, but the washer and dryer was always dry. They moved with us, whenever we moved and lasted us for more 20 years. However, when we built our new home, I decided it was time to change them for some with the newer features. But they were work horses and still in great condition and a nephew of ours were more than happy to get them.
    If you know, you are having water problems, you may want to consider building a platform for them to keep up them from a damp floor.
    Good luck with your new washer and dryer. - Pingo
    [QUOTE]Good morning everyone.  tt, I hope your cream worked better for you last night.  mm, good luck at your appointment this morning.  DH is home today, the new washer comes today.  We have been getting some water seepage so he is going to pull up the carpet in the part of the basement that the washer and dryer are in.  Then we need to call someone I guess to see if we can stop the seepage. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, DH did that this morning with some bricks we had.  Washer was supposed to come between 1:30-3:30.  It's almost 4 and still no washer.

tt, your joke was great. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

LOL, tt!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

OK.  A woman goes up to her pharmacist and asks for some cyanide.  The pharmacist asks her why and she exclaims that she wants to kill her husband.  The pharmacist yells at her that he can't do that he'll lose his license.  The woman gives the pharmacist a picture.  It's a picture of her husband and the Pharmacists wife.  The pharmacist replies, well I didn't know you had a prescription.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

LOL Winter! You certainly didn't offend me, you all know my humor :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, so cute.  I'm copying and forwarding to the friend who sent me the puzzle joke!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Winter! hahaaa!!

Youguys need to stop (or I need to stop reading).  I'll totally blow my cover if I actually laugh out loud.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

A friend of mine posted that on Facebook...I thought it was great.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, we didn't get the Dryer as it was a different brand and looks much newer then the washer.  We got a Maytag.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that was a funny story. Must have been Kelloggs - good you have not lost your humor during this so trying time for you.

Even though it was such a short time we had the family together, I feel we got so much out of it in that short time. The boys even got to spent time with their friends and they fixed some problems we had with our server. Saturday, we had time to spent alone w/ our youngest before the other two arrived. Starting Sat. morning celebrating his B-day with he traditional blueberry muffins. While son and DH went to the airport to pick them up, I had Champagne and Caviar dip waiting at home for them all. We had a lot to celebrate. Birthday, anniversary plus new jobs for each of our two sons. We had made reservations at the Beacon Grill in Woburn for dinner, and had a wonderful dinner there. It was our first time there and I did read a couple of bad reviews, but we had no complaints whatsoever on the contrary. Will definitely be back someday. Sunday I was up early to make brunch for the "crew". They were supposed to meet up w/ their friends around 9:30. While they were gone, I had plenty of time to prepare my Rack of Lamb dinner. The evening was spend to play a some board games. One game we all like is Rummycube.
    Monday we had brunch on the deck again. I had planned to get some lobsters, steam them and pick them for lobster rolls, but I didn't get around to it. I offered to cook a lobster dinner instead, but they wouldn't hear of it. Too much work for you, Mom. Instead the 3 of them went to Boston and had lobster rolls at Legal Seafood and walked around the waterfront for a while. (Gave me a bit of a break to clean up the house and rest a bit, for which I was grateful). In the evening we went to a new restaurant in Reading called  Oye's. They opened up where Bear Rock used to be. DH and I had visited once before and wanted to go back with the family. They have an extensive menu - a  combination of Japanese, Chinese, Thai food and Sushi. Had an absolutely wonderful meal. Even our "Japanese" son was impressed. We ordered soups, some sushi, plus a crispy Pad Thai and a couple of dishes. All 3 want to go back to try some of their other dishes. Forget about the turkey for TG, our son said - this is much better.
    Of course all good things doesn't last forever. They all had to leave early the next morning, but will be back for TG. Yesterday, I was dragging it all day. Getting up at 3 am and try to function is not my strong side. Even though I had a good night's sleep last night, I am still not completely myself today.
    So that was my weekend. I am so sorry, some of you could have had a better time. - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo,  I am thrilled to hear how much fun you had with your sons.  I am lucky my DD has not moved away from me and someday may.  So I share in your joy, as that would be me.  You work hard and entertaining is not easy, but when it is for the ones you love, it is so much fun.  Glad you had a wonderful time Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It sounds like you had a wonderful time Pingo.  When does your son leave for England?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice post, Pingo.  Sounds as tho you fitted a lot in on the 3 days, including lots of good eating!

Well, I had the ala king on toast and it sure didn't taste like sh t on a shingle!