September 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

September 2012

Whoopie pies are filled and safely (for now anyway) stored in closed containers.  Got 17 this batch, and am thinking 15 or even 12 is a reasonable number to bring along with 2 doz choc chip cookies (there originally were almost 3 doz!).  What to do with the remaining 2 or 5, as the case may be - hmmm - thinking of Kargiver's wonderful suggestion at another time, that eating freezing them and eating out of the freezer is like a forbidden delectable treat!

Pingo, shame on me forgetting your anniversary yesterday - 44 years?  Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my own little world - sorry.  Glad to read you had a nice romantic dinner.  That is really a milestone in this day and age.  Happy that you still have each other.

Last long week-end of the summer, so I'm sure everyone is either away, or busy with enjoying this beautiful weather.  I'm going in to take a well deserved rest and browse through a magazine that came today.  Have to check on Cheerio too, she disappeared upstairs when I opened the door to get the trays.  Very quiet, hope she's curled up somewhere sleeping.  Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful, comfortable day.  Again, happy anniversary, Pingo and Mr. Pingo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: September 2012

I'll put my post here...I am going to delete the other thread...TT and I did it at the same time

Rabbit Rabbit

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just saw your post when mine came up and was going to add mine to yours and delete the one I started, but I don't see any "delete" -- ??

You know what they say, Icer, "great minds run in the same path" ! lol

Never heard about rabbit rabbit - rabbit rabbit to you too!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

September!! Wow-the summer sure flies by.
    Happy Anniversary, Mr and Mrs Pingo! That must have been a lovely dinner. I have never been to Flemmings, but I know it is among the best in the city. DD does go there sometimes with her friends-they must have a nice bar area.
    Having my family over tomorrow for a labor day cookout-that will be nice. We were all together here over the 4th, so it's time again.
    I have been lucky--my sister keeps bringing over garden tomatoes--we are having BLT's now.
    Going to make my Dorito dip for tomorrow--so good with the garden tomatoes. Have made the potato salad, and pasta salad. My mom is baking cookies, and my sisters will bring salad , and more deserts.  TT--Whoopie pies will fit in nicely-thanks!
    I do notice we get logged out, as before we stayed logged in. At least I did not have any trouble getting on--I was prepared for it!
    DH seems to have some good energy today--he has been reading out on the deck--he usually can't concentrate enough. He picked up a real book--his kindle confuses him-most technology does now. Also he watched some Notre Dame football.
    What a beautiful breeze coming in---I need to get some cleaning done ....... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Tulips.  Sounds like good eats at your house tomorrow.  Changing my idea of what I'm going to wear, it's actually a little cool here this afternoon.  Tomorrow's temps are supposed to be about the same, so slacks with an overblouse I'm thinking.

Had a Boboli pizza shell and just made a pepper and onion pizza.  Delicious.  I think I ate half! Didn't have any snacks this afternoon, good girl keeping my fingers off those whoopie pies!

Glad to hear your husband is enjoying today.  I think a comfortable day like this without humidity, is easier on anyone who is ill.

Starting a bag for stuff to bring tomorrow, a jar with sugar free candies for my son, a bag of cranraisin scones for he and DIL, and a bag of Dum Dums for the little ones.  I'll put the pies and cookies on the top.  Still mulling over whether or not to bring any of the meatloaf for DIL, there will be so much, even meats, left over, there always is.  Her BIL does a fantastic job grilling and smoking, but always buys soooo much.  They always want to send some home with me, but I feel funny taking any when I leave, because I know the party will be going on for hours more, and there are likely to be more people stopping by.  I may just let  him twist my arm tomorrow with the delicious ribs he smokes!

Have to do up my marshmallow filling bowl and the pizza sheet, and then to bed early - oh not this early, but early.  I woke up at 3:30a.m. and laid there until 5:00 and then finally got up then.  By 8:00 I'll have a hard time keeping my eyes open.  Enjoy the rest of the evening.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Just got home from a short trip to the beach.  We only stayed about 2 hours, but it was nice!  Just being by the ocean, seeing kids playing, and taking a couple of nice swims makes my day.  Dinner out, I am trying to make it so I don't have to cook all weekend!  I do find meal planning a chore....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came home from the office and a pizza treat. Cant believe, I forgot this morning it was already September. Oh well, senior moments.

I wish, I could post photos of the lovely hot pepper pickle, I made this morning. It is truly delicious. Could be a tad hotter for us, but still wonderful. I thought, I added plenty of hot peppers, but you never know, how hot  a hot pepper is before you bite into it.
    I am on my way to bed, but since I couldn't post from my office computer, I just wanted to thank you, tt, for the recipe before I turn in. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Wow, September is here!  Sounds like you have all been keeping busy over the weekend.  Happy Anniversary Pingo!  Sounds like you had a nice dinner.

Enjoying my few days off.  Went and visited Mom on Friday.  Yesterday did some shopping with DH, as it was a rare Saturday in which he wasn't working.

Not sure what's up for today or tomorrow.  Will have Mom over one of the days. 

Enjoy your day/cook outs!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The shy is so grey!  Hope it turns blue later.  It will be a busy day here, so won't be posting later.   Hope you all have a good day - Pingo and TT at the cookouts - and the rest of you at your various ploys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A scarce hour later, Hats, and it's brightening out.  When I got up with my bedroom shade down, around the edges looked grey and ominous, but I think any rain is certainly going to hold off.

Pingo, I'm so happy I posted that recipe that's been languishing in my recipe box for - oh, it has to be 30 odd years.  Such a waste to have never tried it, something that that elderly couple had been making for years.  Hope Kargiver will have as much success if she tries it.

Nice leisurely morning ahead, won't leave here until around 12:30 or 1:00.  Hoping there's not too much traffic on 128.  Surprisingly when I drove out there for the 4th cookout, it wasn't too bad.  

Wish we had picture capabilities too, Pingo, the moonflowers have been absolutely beautiful this year, form a semi circle at the base of the feeder, and the blooms are too many to count when I get up each morning.  It's a shame it's in back, since I'm the only one able to enjoy the sight.  Reminds me, have to water my indoor plants before I go out.

Hoping you all have a wonderful day.  Don't imagine there'll be anyone on the boards tonight, but I'll check when I get home early evening.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    The sky is clear and blue here, but we may still get some spot showers according to the weather man.
    Relaxing morning here too. We don't have to leave until 1:30, but too little time to start another project. Have a couple of loads in the wash, and puttering around with my plants, but that is about it. How is your orchid doing, tt?
    I don't think you should have much traffic today, tt. Yesterday going back and forth on Rt. 128, it was very light. Even the pizza place, that is usually mobbed Saturday nights was half empty.
    How did your birthday party go, Winter? It was a nice day for it; sunny and fairly warm. Will you be closing the pool now?
    Leaves has already started to turn here. Does that mean, we are going to have a long and bad winter? Can't even think of that now. Hopefully we will have a nice Indian Summer first.
    Have a nice day all - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I'm back.  Wonderful afternoon.  Delicious food and good company and a lot of laughter.  Had to leave to beat the setting sun home.  We all know what happens when the sun goes down - I can't see!

So enjoy talking to son's chef BIL and comparing notes.  Of course he flatters me with raves over my desserts, I know it's just flattery, but I love it just the same.  Was telling him about some of the old cook pamphlets I have - sent away for years ago as promotions for various products.  He was so interested, am putting them aside and giving them to him at the next cookout get together.  Would much rather see someone younger have enjoyment out of even browsing through them than have them stashed in a pile of my old cookbooks.  They are hosting a clam/lobster bake at their house in a couple of weeks and invited me.  So nice, but I'd never drive there - in BOSTON!  Those courageous driving days and hunting for parking, are behind me.  If my DIL and I can work out something where I can get back to my car at her house before sundown to drive back here, I'll be going.  Looking forward to that possibility.

Hope everyone else's plans turned out as nice as mine.   Now tomorrow I'll be sad with nothing to do - never satisfied LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I have lots of errands and chores I've been avoioding - nothing too hard, but not summer type of things - that I would gladly let you do for me. 

Still, today is a nice quiet holiday and we have much to be thankful for.  We've been seeing all the flags at half-mast for that Soldier from North Adams.  He was 20, graduated from HS in 2012.  Over before it began. 

Yesterday we stopped by to see a niece going off to college and a nephew starting his Sr year at HS this week.  They are so young, so beautiful, so - in the way of all young people - arrogant about their bodies and abilities. This last week I have been thinking about how much I miss when my body was like that, but I was lucky to be that way for as long as I was.  So much to be thankful for, indeed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning for any of you on the boards,

Unbelievably quiet this morning - almost eerie.  Very few cars going by, and not a sign of anyone else in the neighborhood stirring.  Am I the only one up?  Am I the only one home?  Have a feeling someone will be dropping in today, so showered and dressed already.  Since all my goodies went to the cookout yesterday, may do some more baking - once I decide what to make - cookies of some sort.

A little too chilly for Cheerio, she's plunked herself down in front of the heat register in this room - she's got a long wait for any heat to be coming out of there - I hope.  May double check the attic door to make sure it's secure and let her go back up there for her morning snooze, always quite a few degrees warmer.

Laughed at GD's mastiff yesterday, she was chasing butterflies around the yard!  So funny. She's only a little over a year old, so still a pup.  Someone had left a cheeseburger on one of the tables and she must have walked by and checked that out a dozen or more times.  I think they had put it down and then got distracted by a conversation in another part of the yard.  Finally she could stand it no longer, and with the slightest stretch of  her neck, gobble it down.  I happen to know the cheese on it was a  horseradish blend - so don't imagine that settled too well.  Was sorry my Newton GD didn't think to invite pumpkin's mom.  Their mastiffs are sisters and since their yard is a large completely fenced in one, the two dogs would have had a great play day.

Sprucing up around here a bit, and then going out to take care of the butterfly bushes.  They love a daily watering.  Still a tad chilly for me, so hoping the sun comes out a little brighter to warm things up.  -  Here comes Cheerio meowing down the hall, dragging her blankie - probably to get herself warm!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Saw your post when mine came up, Hats.  I know what you mean about missing the days when out bodies could withstand the lack of consideration all young people have towards them.  I often tell G.T. to appreciate the fact that they both can still do walking tours of the cities they visit.  I so miss meeting him at Haymarket and walking the city from 9:00 in the morning until we'd meet his partner at 5:00 at Coply to go to dinner.  Took it completely for granted and thought I would always be able to do that.  After all, I saw other much older people than I doing it, and I had been a great walker all my life.  Suddenly overnight it seemed, a couple of accident falls, a ruptured disc, and sciatica that rears it's ugly head now and then, and just total inability to do long walks any more.  I'm very grateful that I have no daily pain - as long as I don't do heavy lifting or pushing/pulling motions.  But, oh, how I miss my walks.

Afraid you're on your own for your errand running.  I never go near stores on holidays.  Sears has a canister vacuum I'd like to get over to check out, but won't go near a mall today with all the mothers getting last minute things for the kids.

Geese are flying overhead, going from one pond to the other.  I'll miss when they've left for the winter and I don't hear that mornings and then their return honking at night.  Any way we can stop winter from coming?  lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Had a lovely visit yesterday at the cook out. A group of friends we have known from before we married. 3 of the ladies are widows, but they still come to these gatherings, and we would certainly miss them, if they didn't. 
    The Hot Pepper Relish went over well. Have to e-mail the recipie to a couple of people.
    tt, I hope you decide to go to the lobster/clam bake. That should be fun. If all fails, could you possibly take a cab to get back to your car, so you can leave before it gets dark? I haven't driven in Boston, since I was pregnant (and he turned 36 today-LOL). My obstetrician was on Beacon Street. If the city hadn't changed so much, I could probably do it again. But after the Big Dig everything is so different, and I am notorious for getting lost - so I stay out of the big city.
    No big plans for today. Maybe I will start doing closets. Have a good day - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Aha!  A Fall-like day, what better to bake than hermits?  Have just enough molasses.  SS, are you on the boards, want to have a bake-off?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

My sister used to call them "hermans."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh yes, definitely the right choice to bake today - soooo good.  Brings thoughts of gingerbread men to mind.  Have had 2 already, while still warm.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Alert!
    Just saw my first Junco. Hope it is just one confused one. If they are migrating this early, we are in for a long winter. Ughh!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Okay, what's everyone up to?  I know Winter is most likely doing last minute things in prep of her son going back to school, and Kargiver is either seeing her parents off or straightening up after their leave.  Pingo, your husband is probably glued to the TV watching the tennis that pre-empted my soap.  I've stripped my bed, done a wash and dry and have it freshly made up.  Started reading one of the ppbks I had picked up for my son, it's good, well written, at least it's holding my interest.  Has an endorsement by Stephen King, so you can guess its genre.  Did let them put together a plate for me to bring home yesterday, so will uncover that and be surprised when I put it in the oven to reheat for supper.  No surprise drop in visitor yet, maybe I was picking up the call from my youngest, no invite, just had a call had come up from what he thought was the Salem Hospital, and he was checking to see if I was home and alright.

See a couple of kids riding their bikes slowly, like it's the last time for a while they'll be out in the middle of the day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Hi---Quiet day all around, I guess.  Had a nice time yesterday-my family over-about 13-15 of us. GD came, too-have not seen her for a few weeks-getting ready for 6th grade next week.  Good time--my DS and  BIL jumped in  and did the cooking for me-that was a big help.  Kielbasa, chicken, hot dogs, and burgers, with lots of salads and deserts. Everyone came about 3, and all were gone by 8:30, so not a late night. All was cleaned up, so nice to get up today to everything done. Gave DH room a good cleaning-once he got up, that is. He slept from 7 last night to 1:00 today. I went in and checked him a few times-he would open his eyes, and just go back to sleep. Once he got up, he said he felt great, and even unloaded the dishwasher for me.  He is happy watching golf on TV. Neighborhood is quiet here, too. Heard the kids around before, but no more-we have 7 little ones within a few houses, plus a few more up the street that come down-I don't really know them, though.  DS working all day, so nice to have the house to ourselves. His hours are cut, so is here more often than not, it seems. So having leftovers from yesterday for dinner--nice quiet, easy day. Wish I had one more day off, though....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds like you had a nice day yesterday, Tulips.  I'm sure everyone is bemoaning the fact they have to go back to work tomorrow.  Even 4 days off sometimes, isn't enough.

Have been chilly all day in my bermudas and top, slipped my fleece robe over it and sat down on the couch, and promptly fell asleep!  I'm like the cat, make me nice and toasty warm, and I drop off!

Didn't really have supper.  Peeked and it was potato salad, grilled chicken and grilled shrimp.  Sounds too heavy to me tonight, so scooped some chocolate out of the chocolate cream pie and ate that dowsed with whipped cream, and had another hermit with ginger ale!  Ate a lot of scallops and shrimp yesterday and that delicious strawberry salad a friend of theirs brought, a hot dog which I hadn't had for a year I think, and a piece of grilled kielbasa.  Someone had brought a sour cream/dill dip and I put that on top of the scallops, per suggestion of "the chef", and it was delicious, cool and refreshing.  Really didn't do too bad diet-wise.  

I think there's a program on at 9:00 tonight I want to watch, hope so, or I'll be crawling between the sheets early.  Hope your DH is able to sleep tonight after that long sleep last night into today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Went to the beach yesterday, stopped and got cider donuts and ate a few while warm.  Sure feels as if fall is here today.  Lots and lots of errands to run today.  I'll be soaked by the time I get in and out of the car 10 or so times.  Yet it must be - my shopping list is so long!  We are out of milk and 1/2 and 1/2 and yogurt - had not quite enough for my coffee - and many other basics. 

Did anyone watch the program about Prince Charles' gardens at Highgrove last night?  Amazing what he has done in only 30 years.  And his compost heap and sewage garden were to die for.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Hats.  I didn't see that program last night, wish I had known it was on, but did see a program a year or so ago where the reporter and Prince Charles walked through the gardens.  I was amazed, I had never heard anything about it.

You might not get toooo wet today, at least this morning.  Doesn't seem to be raining hard here, in fact I was surprised to get up and see that it had rained during the night.  Cold tho.  I have this room's window open and as soon as I finish typing that's getting closed.  We had no preparation for this Fall weather, just suddenly one morning it was cool.

Traffic will have picked up today, with the kids going back to school.  Some day this week I have to get up to Costco, but don't think it will be today.

Finished my cereal, and now will put on the coffee and pick one of the biggest hermits to have with.  Then I'll put the container in the freezer and just take out as wanted.  The recipe makes 27, the way I slice them, and I'd like to get over a few to GS and see if he likes them.  Seem to remember from last year he did.  Wonderful to have someone to bake for again.

Sections
Shortcuts