September 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: September 2012

If you want, prin, try making your own pumpkin something and reduce the sugar...it's a pretty un-sweet squash, lol.  I can't stomach the super sweet pumpkin flavored stuff out there, either; DD's pumpkin muffins are sweeter than chocolate cake!

oh, gosh, I've procrastinated again...gotta run!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Cold!  Definitely making the call this morning to get oil burner cleaned  - I know me, and it won't be too many more of these mornings before I flick it on to take the chill off!

Happy to post our "nutmeg" sauce recipe, Hats, such as it is.  I double this because I'm a "like a little plum pudding with my sauce" kind of gal!  This makes a thin syrupy sauce, easy to adjust amounts to your preference.

White Nutmeg Sauce

Blend and cream together:  3/4 cup sugar - 1 1/2 tbsp. fllour - 1 tbsp butter - dash of salt

Add 1 1/4 cups boiling water and  heat, stirring, until clear.

Sprinkle in nutmeg to taste, and stir.

Store in covered jar in refrigerator.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. I did read and catch up Friday, but was too busy here to post. TX was nice. We went to Southfork (from TV show Dallas), went to check out the Sixth Floor Museum and toured Cowboys stadium. Went to a very nice local steakhouse and went for Mexican with the training class one day for lunch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wow! Cold night. Had to get up and shut the window. You are right, tt - it may not be long before we have to put the heat on for a few hours in the morning. It seemed to come so sudden.
    Now I know, why I never cared for Plum Pudding. Must be the sauce - never had it with sauce.
    I hate to think of all the heavy winter food and calories, we will be packing on unknowingly.
    Princess, try to make your own pumkin pure. You won't find it sweet. It is so easy. Just bake the halved pumpkins until you are able to scoop out the flesh. Pumpkin pure. Voila! I make a delicious pumpkin dip to be eaten with apple slices and ginger snaps. Nice aps for TG. I believe I posted it once. You should be able to find it in the recipe section.
    Can't believe TG is not far away. Have no idea, what DH and I will be doing. None of the boys will be here, and I am not going to cook turkey for just the two of us and his vegetarian family. Maybe we will scoot to TX, if we can find a decently priced ticket.
    tt, you will be happy with your composit stairs. They look nice and have very low maintenance. We just hose our deck down a couple of time a year. Make sure he gives you the non slippery kind.
    Hoping to take my car for an oil change today. Tried several times last week to make an appointment, but after being transferred to the service department, no one picked up the receiver. Will go there and see if they can take me. Plus, I have a couple of scripts to pick up at Costco. Will wait to do the run-a-round until it warms up a bit. Anty time left, I will stop by the office.
    Winter, where are you? Hope to hear from you.
    Have a nice day all - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, you and I posted at the same time. Glad to hear you had a nice trip to TX. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Back in from a morning of shopping - got a couple of Christmas gifts and stuffers, some more Halloween candy, a beautiful GREEN cutting board that I will use to replace the board I bought years ago and use now only for kneading my scone dough.  What better to knead Irish scone dough on than an Irish GREEN board?!  How much tastier they will be!

Hit the Dollar Tree for some leaves and ribbon to make a new Fall wreath for my front door, and picked up a small can of nuts to keep here on my computer table to much when I'm thinking of the next incorrect or made up word I will use - "they're really very tasty," says she, as she munches away.

Got home too late for Y&R, so hope nothing too out of the blue happened.

Winter glad you are back safe and sound and had a good time.  Made a little salad when I got in, after feeding Harriet (pretty sure he's a she), who was waiting at the back step.  She only ate part of her breakfast this morning and I had taken the dish in.  She's such a talker, blinks those eyes and smiles at me.

I'm out again tomorrow, so hope the heaviest of rain doesn't come until nighttime.  Hope to get back in to catch my soap.  With those soaps, either a lot can happen on different fronts in one day, or they can drag on the same old, same old, for a week.  Curious about Victor - will Billy tell Victoria, or won't he?  AND, just how mad will she be when she finds out he has known all along where her father is, and has even seen him?  Tune in tomorrow -

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome back, Winter!  Glad you had a good trip.

Tt, a green board, how fabulous.  I believe Irish soda bread would be improved by its use, as well. ;)

Had a nice walk with Gracie and friend after getting home from the chiropractor.  She's doing a weight loss program that requires tracking her steps, and we walked about 6200...I think we have about the same stride.

More laundry and cleaning to do...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Back in from a morning of shopping - got a couple of Christmas gifts and stuffers, some more Halloween candy, a beautiful GREEN cutting board that I will use to replace the board I bought years ago and use now only for kneading my scone dough.  What better to knead Irish scone dough on than an Irish GREEN board?!  How much tastier they will be!

Hit the Dollar Tree for some leaves and ribbon to make a new Fall wreath for my front door, and picked up a small can of nuts to keep here on my computer table to much when I'm thinking of the next incorrect or made up word I will use - "they're really very tasty," says she, as she munches away.

Got home too late for Y&R, so hope nothing too out of the blue happened.

Winter glad you are back safe and sound and had a good time.  Made a little salad when I got in, after feeding Harriet (pretty sure he's a she), who was waiting at the back step.  She only ate part of her breakfast this morning and I had taken the dish in.  She's such a talker, blinks those eyes and smiles at me.

I'm out again tomorrow, so hope the heaviest of rain doesn't come until nighttime.  Hope to get back in to catch my soap.  With those soaps, either a lot can happen on different fronts in one day, or they can drag on the same old, same old, for a week.  Curious about Victor - will Billy tell Victoria, or won't he?  AND, just how mad will she be when she finds out he has known all along where her father is, and has even seen him?  Tune in tomorrow -

[/QUOTE]

tt. 

Wish I could get into another soap, really enjoyed  The Guiding Light and as the World Turns.  My Mom used to watch the Y&R.  My GF and I were always chatting about the soaps, bet those th

at overheard us thought we were chatting about real people.  Going to Pier 18 in East Bridgewater on Wed., heard it was a nice seafood place...anyone been there?  Got my flannel sheet sets in the washer, all ready for any cold spells. Till next time, take care all and keep smiling, ss

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sitting here, chuckling, watching our mailman, who has an inspector walking his route with him today - my goodness, he's dawdling.  Their route is supposed to take them until about 4 p.m. and he's done way before that days - know, because he lives on our route.  Today he's back tracking and stopping back at the truck for something he's evidently forgotten!  Must be a killer to try to double the time something normally takes you.

Kargiver, you're absolutely right about this board - everything is going to taste so much better that's kneaded, rolled out on it!  I have another cutting board, but this is just for my baking.  Bought a beautiful green strainer in there last year and have really enjoyed using that.  GD gets a kick out of it when I drain her pasta in at lunch - "Nana, why do you have a green strainer?  Ours is metal and stands on little legs."  She asks just because she loves to hear the answer I always give her, "Because I'm irish, that's why!"

Beautiful day to be out and I'm sure you enjoyed your walk, Kargiver.  Nice to have a friend stop by to go along with you and Gracie.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Thanks for that recipe TT.  I have saved it.  I bet it will taste good over apple crisp, don't you think?  If I ever get round to buying apples.  Will try to get them on my list.

I also did a ton of Christmas shopping today.  I hit TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Staples, Michaels, and Marshalls.  Whew!  I shopped for over 3 hours and returned one purchase.  I'm pooped, and will have to return some things to Michaels - the gold did not match the gold I needed to match.

And so I did not eat lunch until 2:30, which puts off my whole meal schedule.  Oh well, I am pleased with my purchases.  Now to go record them in my Christmas book.

Winter, glad you are home safe.  TT. thanks for reminding me I have to go pick up my mail and listen to my voice mail messages.  I am going out tonight, so bye all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Back home after a very productive morning. Did 3 bathrooms. Well, the boys bathroom are not used, but they still get dirty (????), and the toilets always have to be scrubbed. Oh those rings. I trimmed my hair (before I did our master bathroom), and I got an appointment for an oil change.
    I tried to make an appointment several times last week, but everytime they transferred me to the Service Dept., I got cut off. Today I found out, I could make an appointment right here on my computer. They were ready for me when I went, and I just had to wait 45 minutes and I drove off with a clean car to boot. Yes, they wash the car for me as well. I am quite sure I pay for it somehow. The also rotated the tires and balanced them.
    I was aware my juicer had been delivered this morning to my office, so I stopped by to pick it up. Then I went to Costco to pick up my scripts (Peter says "hello", tt) and to buy some bulk veggies and fruits. These juicers eat fruit and veggies, as if there is no tomorrow.
    I think it is time for me to relax a bit. Don't you? So, that is why I am chatting w/ my friends. Now I have to go and open the large box. Even though I know, what is inside, it is still exciting.
    Chat later - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, it sounds like you, as well as tt and I, all had a productive day. There must be something in the air - Pingo

PS. I decided  to go to Costco last. They always serve "lunch/dinner". By the time I taste all the goodies, I had my lunch. LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I love the fact that you have a green cutting board. I'll be more then happy to taste test anything for you. :) Took DS to the dentist Saturday and left with a referral for an Orthodontist. He's not too happy about it, but I explained better now then when you are starting high school if you do in fact need braces. He has a bit of an overbite and his teeth are crowded so I think he will need them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just finished opening my mail, Hats, and most of it can be discarded.  My schedule is all thrown off today too, because I didn't get home til close to 2:00, ate lunch soon after, and now I look at the clock as I enjoy a cup of coffee and a snack size Hershey's, and it's nearly 4:00, and I'm nowhere near even thinking of cooking supper.  Haven't been to T.J. Maxx in a couple of years, I think.  Used to shop there all the time, but now their tiny parking lot is next to impossible to find a spot.  Means parking and walking quite a distance, which is OK on the in-run, but not the outgoing if you have heavy or large purchases.  Two of my gifts are going back to Marshall's, one a stuffer that I thought was tea bags, but instead are infusions, and a beautiful baking dish when G.T. reminded me of the gift that person gave me last year, a basket with a broken handle that she knew about but said, "I figured you could give it a little glue and it would be good as new" !!  She doesn't read these boards, so no fear of my disclosing that we decided that I would glue the handle, and fill it with very small treasures and return it to her this Christmas!  -   Sounds like the true spirit of giving, doesn't it - lol - but really, this woman sold her house for close to $1,000,000.  We are having some chuckles over it anyway, so at least her selection wasn't a total loss. -  No admonishments, please about why bother giving with that attitude, this lady is what she is, and she is the first to say, "I know, I'm cheap."  She'll laugh with me when she opens the package.

Your Christmas book is a great idea.  I have several lists tucked away in the Christmas Card box of things I put in previous Christmas baskets, but haven't updated it the last couple of years.  It's a good idea so you don't gravitate back to the same gift category.

Pingo, next time you pick up scripts if you're lucky enough to see Peter, tell him I've missed him the past probably 3 times I've been there, a different manager has been on.  I never go up on the same day, so have lost track of when he's there and not.

Your mentioning apple crisp, Hats, hit a note with me, was thinking of making a  big dish of that for Sunday, but with the carpal tunnel I have a hard time peeling and slicing all the apples I'd need for the amount I'd need.  My hands cramp up in that "holding apple" position.

Off to see what Judge Judy has to offer today. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night everyone. I'll be heading out soon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Gosh, TT, those machines that peel the apples for you really do an incredible job, I sure would be getting one/asking for one for Birthday/Xmas/Mothers' Day if I were you!!    A few years ago we had a each child in a class make a pie - we made 30 pies in a couple of hours wi6th the machines.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's a thought - they're always asking, "What do you want for Christmas, Ma?"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, are you talking about the gadget, where you stich an apple on a stick and then turn it until you have apple slices?
    I had one, and I gave it away. It was more trouble than help. I can cut my 7-8-12 or whatever apples by hand with a small peeling knife a lot faster, than it takes to  use the slicer. Just saying. Practice, I guess.
    You are saying "machines", so it spounds like there is another gadget out there, I may not even know about. I make lots of apple pies - so any "help" would be great. - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just watched a horror show on Youtube using, or trying to use an apple peeler - do you have one you can recommend, Hats?  There are a zillion out there, all prices.  Some just peel, some peel and slice.  As long as I have a peeler, I think my hands will be alright.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]

Just watched a horror show on Youtube using, or trying to use an apple peeler - do you have one you can recommend, Hats?  There are a zillion out there, all prices.  Some just peel, some peel and slice.  As long as I have a peeler, I think my hands will be alright.

[/QUOTE]

By that I mean, as long as I have one that peels (doesn't have to slice too), my hands will be alright.  It's the gripping of the apple while  peeling that cramps me up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

LOL, tt. I can't agree with you more. I do have several appliances, that are supposed to make life easier, but you know, I always go back to the "old ways". It is all in the hands. Don't you think? The feeling of when it is done.
    Beating cream with a whip, is far better, than beating it in my Kitchen Aid (and then the clean up afterwards, a whip you can just rinse under the tap and throw it in the DW). I never wanted the latter, but it was a gift to me, so I kept it. You know one of those: "What should we give Mom this Christmas". I love the thought though. My DIL uses hers diligently. I dont think she could cook or bake w/o it. But she got hers, when she just atarted to cook and bake. When you are an old pro, it is difficult to change. - Pingo

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

By that I mean, as long as I have one that peels (doesn't have to slice too), my hands will be alright.  It's the gripping of the apple while  peeling that cramps me up.

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, TT does not make apple dishes because she can't peel the apples because she has carpal tunnel syndrome.  

Not a choice between hands and machine, a choice between no apple dishes or a machine.  I personally peel my own.  I was just saying that the machine might work for her.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning Everyone,

Still plugging away.  My job is getting very busy, but a good busy.  So different from my last job.  I cannot believe I put up with that for 14 years!!!!!  My new boss is fabulous.

Tillie is still being quite a rascal.  Think we got the issue with her attacking Spencer under control . . . now she is regressing with her house training! Crazy.  We'll get there!

TT/Pingo - I'll check with my "connections" on Peter . . I know there was some discussion about his schedule changing.  We never make it up to that Costco, as we changed to going to BJs in Stoneham.  As a matter of fact, think we need to do our run this weekend. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Chilly, but not as bad as yesterday morning - at least in my house.  Good night's sleep, stiff neck has finally cleared up.  Seemed forever, but it probably lasted a total of 2 weeks.  Not really so long, just when it's every night when you put your head down!

Hats, the Youtube video really was titled "Apple Peeling Horrow Show", and was a couple with I don't know how many bags of apples, trying an apple peeler to hasten up the apple butter making process.  I came across it when I googled "Apple Peelers" to get an idea of  brands and prices.  With my crew, you really have to give them specifics, otherwise I'd end up with a $200 extravaganza that was so complicated I (mechanically challenged as I am) would never  be able to operate it!

Going out around 10:00, and trying to pack 3 weekly errands into one trip.  May not see Y&R again today.

Princess, it's too funny the connection we three have with Peter.  Pingo, really only because I raved to her so for so long about the lower prices there and the way he is so accommodating and helpful.  He really is an asset to that pharmacy.  There is a very pretty red headed girl who works there too, and I think of you when I see her, wondering if she is a "connection" too - lol.  Glad you were able to change your job and have the pressure of that terrible boss off your shoulders.  Busy is OK, it's all in the way it's presented to you.

Cats have been fed, and I think I'll opt for hot oatmeal this morning and maybe catch up on some local news on TV.  Have a good day everyone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

Yes, warmer today, thankfully.  Not ready to start the wood stove, but since dh had been planning to have a fire in the fireplace with aunt and uncle we have wood in the house.  Funnily enough, Gracie has been plunking herself in front of the cold wood stove lately as if to inform us "it's time."

I've gained a few pounds with all this company in the last two weeks so buckling down and getting things under control.  Eating at home was ok, but we went out to eat, too, and I don't do well with that temptation.

Prin, that must be so frustrating to have Tillie regress with housebreaking.  I hope she settles down and enjoys her safe, happy home and buddy Spencer soon.

Tt, I think my apple peelwasps from the cts.

That's peeler, of course...nice job, auto correct.

Dh is fasting today so i had a leisurely morning...it's all about me, of course. Lol. ;)

Have a blessed day, everyone.  Where are tulips and others?

~kar

Sections
Shortcuts