September 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: September 2012

Good morning everyone. I have an apple peeler and an apple cutter/corer.  The cutter/corer I like, but I'm not a fan of the peeler I have.

I do have a kitchen aide stand mixer and I do use it now when I bake, as it's the same clean up without one. It does whip fantastic potatoes though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Winter.  I may just suffer through and buy a bag of Cortlands if I see any in S&S.  Don't think I have time to run to Brooksby's for a bag of their "falls" before the week-end.  Tomorrow is supposed to be heavy rain, Thursday I have to make whoopie pies for GD, and Friday is oil burner cleaning day plus, I hope, pumpkin's visit.  The holding position for apple peeling is the same as trying to peel and devil a dozen eggs - just a cramped up position to hold my hands in.

Too bad about your son's need for braces, but it seems most kids these days wear them for a little while anyway.  He'll fit right in with everyone else probably.  My cookie making GD had to have a couple of teeth removed because the 2nds were coming up right in back of them.

I'd love a stand mixer.  The hand held ones just aren't as powerful.  I must say tho, the one I have is close to - what, 20 years old, I think.  Does the job.  Getting around now, may just try to run out before 10:00 and get a head start on errands.  Chat later.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I love all the OXO good grips tools.  They are designed especially for people with arthritis/older people.  The peeler I have has a large, rubber handle which is more comfortable than the old small metal ones.  They also have a great can opener.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, would a couple of swallows of the quinine drink help your hand cramps??  My hands cramp when I peel many things, (potatos, apples etc) when I'm going to make pie I usually call DD#3 and have her bring her daughter over, (too bad we didn't live closer she would peel yours too), what I consider a painful chore, she thinks is fun!!  Can't believe she will be a teenager this month.  The time goes by so fast, seems like a couple of months ago your GD had her son and now he will be a year old next month!!

Take care all and keep smiling, ss

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I do, too.  OXO gadgets are sold at Crate and Barrel for one.

And, I know the Viking hand mixer is a lot more expensive than other hand mixers, but it comes VERY close to approximating the power and uses of a stand mixer.  Quiet, too.  Worth the money if you could use the power of a stand mixer but aren't into its price tag or room it takes on the counter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good  morning all,
    Sorry I am a bit late. Was trying to figure out this new juicer of mine.
    It is just awesome. Had a lovely glass of carrot and apple juice to start my morning. Didn't miss my cuppa.
    Made another juice to take to my offfice for lunch. Cucumber, celery and pears for sweetness. Please do encourage me. I am hoping to shread 15 lbs. I have done this before, and it does work for me. It is not for everyone. I do have to watch my blood sugar - and I do.
    DH went to work with carrot/apple juice. He loved it and didn't want any "heavy" breakfast. All set, he said. Yeah!
    Don't know, what I will do for supper. Putting my head in the thinking box. DH has to eat, I know I can do with the juice. I am sure, I will come up with something.
    Have a good day everyone - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, just looking back on all the advice for your hand cramps. I suffered from them too - terribly. But I found, if I take TJ's Calcium with Magnesium and Zink, every night before I go to sleep, there are gone. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's the magnesium in your trio that helps with the cramps, Pingo, but the other things are good, too, of course.  Best wishes in your juice fast!  I know you can do it.  Your 15 lbs will be history in no time.  I don't have any juice concoction ideas, but I bet you have a plethora for having done this successfully before.  Glad you like the juicer you got.  We like ours, too, but even though it extracts a lot of juice I find it takes quite a bit of produce to get enough juice to fuel a whole day. You probably know the fiber is essentially lost on juice so you might want to take a fiber supplement while you are fasting.  Will keep you feeling full as well as regular. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

LOL, Kar. I realized soon enough, I have to grow a carrot farm. That "monster" eats more than I do. But it is so worth it. Lunch is cucumber, celery, ginger and spinach. Made more juice than the carrots. - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds elegant - Enjoy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Came home to find two invitations - one an email from G.T. to go to P'town with them for the day, and the other by mail, from pumpkin, to his FIRST birthday party!  Yah!  Called my G.D. to ask what she would like me to bring, it's a pizza party, and she did mention "baked goods".  Had already planned to make those tiny gingerbread men - remember the ones I made for his shower with the blue bibs?  Instead will put a blue "1" on each little man.

Thanks for all the suggestions re cramping hands - checked my can opener because I do find it easy to use and it's a Norpro.  Has a large soft red rubber grip handle.  As for the apple crisp, another email that was waiting for me was from Lilly's grandma and  Sunday's visit may be postponed, big brother has a football game, plus the day before they are going to a park for the day, and the morning of, DIL has a cancer breakfast - - - she picked the date for dinner, don't know why with all that going on.  Anyway, G.T. will still come down, so lasagna is still on, and a much smaller apple crisp - which I can manage.

Last night made up a quick hamburg, pepper, onion sauce for rigatoni and it made enough for leftovers tonight, so supper's all taken care of.  Think there is a little vintage (by that I mean in the refrigerator a looonng time!) wine to go with.

Wind has picked up here and temp is cooler.  Sounds as tho winds and rain tonight will be heavy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Posted a joke, but as I suspected, they didn't leave it up.  Wasn't really all that risque -  gave me a good laugh out loud - from SS.  Well, at least they didn't ban me.  My gosh then I'd be joining another who has been banned soooo many times.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Too bad your plans for Sunday have changed tt.  Your little number 1 gingerbradmen sound great for a first birthday. Your Ptown invite sounds like a good time as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, I haven't been down there in probably 3 years, maybe longer.  Last time I went was with G.T., partner and his mother.  We stopped on the way back in Truro and visited a wine vineyard.  I love the little shops down there, and of course, the sounds of the buoy.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That sounds terrific, tt. A trip to P-town. Haven't been there in a very long time myself. We used to vacation at the Cape for a week every year, when the boys were young. But it was always raining, and one can only do Mini Golf so many times. Loved P-town. So different from all the other places on the Cape. Should be nice now that the kids are back in school and tourist season is over. Will GP's mother be jpining you this time as well?
    Supper tonight will be fennel, pear and cucumber juice - for me. Bought Hadddock for DH (was on sale at S&S) and will try to copy Hat's dish: baked on a bed of veggies.
    - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Yeah, I haven't been down there in probably 3 years, maybe longer.  Last time I went was with G.T., partner and his mother.  We stopped on the way back in Truro and visited a wine vineyard.  I love the little shops down there, and of course, the sounds of the buoy.  

You should swing by SS's...Its practically on the way

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Not my dish, TT Honey, maybe MM's?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to icer's comment:

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

You should swing by SS's...Its practically on the way

How about it, SS?  Want some drop in company?  We're going down the 5th.  -  Is it really, Icer?  We go right through Boston and down that way and I never remember seeing her town on any of the road signs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I think it would be...then again..I am a creature of habit..so I have a tendancy to go the same well paved route as I have taken before...I'll be back by the 5th...you can stop here..I know I 'm on the way

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, how awesome, if Icer and tt meet. I am hoping and rooting for it. But I know, GT is very private, so maybe not. - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats,
    You were right - I gave credit to the wrong person. It was indeed mm's dish. The haddock came out great. I skinned it, then put it on a bed of chopped veggies. Corn off the cob, tomatoes, eggplant and onions. I covered it w/ a mixturre of panko crumbs and chopped parsley and drizzled it with melted butter. 25 minutes at 400 degrees. DH loved it. I stuck to my juice. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're a trouper, Pingo, to turn mm's elegant fish dish down!  Good resolve.  What did you juice for dinner?  I bet you are seeing progress already.  

Dh left 45 min early this am, and I'm enjoying a nice and very necessary cuppa.  I'm not a morning person, anyway, so getting up even earlier isn't my thing, lol.  

But, it's probably a good thing since the last of the toms need to be canned today.  I get to try out the new food mill...should be a lot easier and quicker than smushing 20 lbs of purée through a mesh strainer with a wooden spoon to remove seeds and skin.

it's by no means cold in here, but Gracie is still parking herself in front of the wood stove like a canary foreshadowing doom.

Have a great day, all,

~kar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Did anyone have any damage from the wind/rain that came through last night?  In my dreams there were sounds of banging and crashing, so I'll have to look good when I'm dressed and out, but everything is eerily quiet this morning.  Dark and grey, but quiet.

I think we only dream about a "stop by" at either place, Icer.  Love G.P. dearly, but he is definitely a "drive straight through" person when we go anywhere.  Perhaps if you were actually on the road we travel, he'd stop, like the Truro winery was to P'town.  I'll mention, maybe even copy/paste your message to G.T., he would be willing I know, but he doesn't do the driving.  Haven't heard any reply from SS, so maybe I can lure G.P. with the promise of a bite of something chocolate at your place, he's a chocoholic!

Pingo, I may just pick up some haddock now, that sounds good.  I always bake mine too, but usually just in a dish with crumbs and butter.  Have my oven lower too, 350.  I'll try the 400 next time.

Funny, funny, Gracie, Kargiver.  She reminds me of Cheerio sitting in front of the wall registers on these chilly mornings - w a i t i n g !!

Breakfast is calling, and Harriet may be out there now too, so I'll get off the computer - as soon as I check my emails.  Hoping DIL gives me a definite today about whether or not they are coming Sunday.  Will want to do my shopping tomorrow, and will do extra baking for the kids if they are coming.  Chat later.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cheerio and Gracie would get along so well. ;)  What's for breakfast?  I'm famished...  Meant to mention your neck...glad it's finally better, and two weeks is definitely a long time to suffer with a stiff, sore neck.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I put my umbrella down, put the cushions on a chair with a heavy weight on top, and put all my plants up against a railing so nothing could fly away.  There was indeed a lot of crashing and banging last night (the wind chimes were crashing rather than ringing) and the leaves have been blown into corners.  It started raining at 12:15 and after that it was quieter. 

Sections
Shortcuts