September 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: September 2012

LOL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You're right, Kargiver, I've been looking at the white markings on his chest and paws,  never thought to check the length of the tail - tomorrow - - - it's that end I'll be looking at!

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, don't forget to take a measuring tape out of the sewing box to have it ready....I am sure Harry/Harriett will stand still while you measure.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Definitely an interesting debate last night.  As we all mentioned earlier, didn't change my mind on who I'm voting for.

I think I am going to tell my Mom that I won't be by this weekend.  I do feel bad when I don't go, but I really just need a weekend to catch up around the house and really just rest.  I am so exhausted.  I hope I she isn't too disappointed.  I know my brother and his family will at least be by or take her out on Sunday.  I still feel guilty though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Funny,  Hats, but really, have you ever seen the pics I had posted of Handsome Harry alias Pretty Baby alieas Harriet?  He has the longest tail I ever saw on a cat.  It's the first thing you notice about him when he sits down.  No sign of him yet this morning.

Princess, you're lucky in that you do have your brother to help shoulder some of the responsibility you feel.  The last thing your mother would want you to do is end up in the hospital again.  

Getting around early this morning.  Oil burner guy is supposed to come after noon, but I've a feeling it will be earlier.  Want to be dressed and have a chance to sweep cobwebs out of bulkhead before he goes down that way.  I'm amazed how fast they accumulate there, I guess because it's used so little.  Noone wants to have to walk through spider webs.

Bought some pumperknickel bread yesterday, so nice toast with applesauce on the menu this morning.  For some reason they don't carry Kasanoff's anymore, and to me they make the best.  Think I picked up Beefsteak or some such brand.  Pepperidge Farm is wimpy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

TT, don't forget to take a measuring tape out of the sewing box to have it ready....I am sure Harry/Harriett will stand still while you measure.....

[/QUOTE]

Hilarious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

He just appeared - long tail, no pink collar, so I guess there's just ONE cat and he does belong to someone.  Just doesn't like having a collar on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I tried to post from my phone last night...no go

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

Prin, good for you - it's hard to tell a parent no, but I'm sure she'll understand. New all need time to catch up on our own things, and weekends are it for those who work m -f.  I remember being torn between householdstuff, rest, family, friends, trying to cram everything into two short days. Like tt said, the last thing your mom would want is for you to fall into trouble, again.  Sounds like a constant battle for your health.

Tt, you're sweet to think of your oil guy and sweep up so early for him.  I bet not many of his clients are so thoughtful.  

Pumpernickle bread, yum!  I agree, PF is watered down so to speak.  Bakery pumpernickel is so much tastier.  I haven't had it for years, but it was my favorite when I was a little girl...odd for a kid, don't you think?

All the toms have been put through the mill so am going to set the pot of nice pulp and juice on the stove momentarily. Hopefully, that means it will be reduced by half and I can start canning by 1:00 and be done by 3.

Speaking of juice, how's it going, Pingo?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. What a chilly morning today. Hope we don't have to turn the heat on soon, we are trying to wait until middle/end of October, not sure that's going to happen if this keeps up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's not so much "sweep up" as it is "sweep away the cobwebs hanging down!  Now, do you get the picture? lol  On the trash days that I have to haul out a change of litter box and go up through the bulkhead rather than up the cellar stairs and drag it through the house, I've run into those nasty things, and feel as tho I'm plucking spiders out of my hair all day long!

Toast was delicious.  I liked pumperknickel as a kid too.  The Lithuanian lady that lived next door to us was always handing me an end board of the pumperknickel bread she made over the fence, telling my mother "It's gOOOd for her" !  Wish now I had bothered to make the run to Brooksby's and pick up some "falls" to make applesauce with.  Love my own, cooked with the skins on so that it gives the applesauce a nice pink glow.

OK, still not dressed, so I'm off to the shower and then into a pair of nice warm sweats I found still hanging in my closet from last year.  Hmm, think there's a new sweatshirt folded in one of the drawers too.  Today's going to be toasty day.  So glad I changed my summer comforter for the Fall one which I'd never gotten beyond the stairs when I took it off, and snuggled under that last night.  Nice and warm all night long.  So much so I hated to get out from under this morning.  But, now I'll steam up the b.r. and have that to step out into!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, dh said the exact same thing this morning...hate to freeze but don't want the heating season to start so early!

Tt, I can see it, now, lol.  And, I can just hear your kind neighbor calling over to your mom...a warm memory.  Nothing like warm, homemade bread.

Tomatoes are on the stove.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I liked the measuring tape comment and the Dr. Google from yesterday. Or was it the day before? Now, that I cannot post from my office, I get behind in the Chat.
    tt, if it is indeed a Harry, and someone does own him, do you really think they would put on a pink collar on a male cat? I doubt it. I don't think, your Sherlock Holmes days are over. It sounds mysterious to me.
    Speaking tomatoes, Kar. I was curious myself as to how they would juice in my juicer. Two 2-1/2 inch size tomatoes gave me a little over 10 oz of juice, with no more than a little over a Tbs. of waste (yes a Tbs.). Nice thick pulpy tomato juice. That's was my dinner last night. I did throw in 1/2 Jalopeno to get it a bit spicy. If I find fresh horse radish, imagine what a delicious Bloody Mary, I could make. DH had his weekly tennis evening, so he was home late. I had a corn and a broiled tomato/cheese sandwich on a sesame bagel for him. He loved it. Thanks Hat!
    Juicing is going well. I feel great, and feel I have more energy already. Just finished my breakfast: Honeydew/swiss chard/ginger. I think it is "the greens" that does it. It takes a lot of greens to make juice, and one would never eat that much in a day, as I do right now.
    Princess, please don't feel guilty not seeing your mother this weekend. You need to take care of yourself first, so you are able to be there for her. Like tt said, she will not want you to get sick again. She is your mother, and she will understand.
    Not sure whether I will be going to work today or not. I have work to do at the office, but I feel I should stay at home to take care of house chores. My kitchen cabinets need a wash down and polishing and my large appliances also need a serious going over. And of course, there is always the refrigerator to be cleaned out and laundry to do. Sounds like I better get going - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've been a busy bee, got everything done but the spider webs!  If he stays true to the time set, he won't be here until noon or after anyway.  Climbed on my stepstool and put away a few things that had gathered on the counter.  Like as clear as possible a counter.  My father was always bringing home some "gadget" for my mother, and her counters were loaded with this and that appliance.  Drove me nuts.  Guess I'm a minimalist.  Spiffed up the l.r., turned cushions over and plumped up throw pillows and rearranged things a bit.

Yeah, Pingo, I'm pretty sure from what I saw when Harry was rolling around, or should I say, what I didn't see (!), that he's a Harriet, but when I told C.L. that yesterday, she said, well he comes when I call "Harry" now, so that's what his name will stay as far as I'm concerned.

Cloudy, dreary day, just thinking, still haven't heard back with estimate from the man who came last Friday.  Hmmm, makes me wonder if they're toooo busy.  With others I heard within a day or two.  Well, down to the cellar I will go, cause it's burner cleaning day you know, and we've got to get those cobwebs pushed aside - - in my head, that's sung to some song I remember that started "to the picnic we will go, 'cause it's summertime you know, and we ought to spend our Sunday's in the park"  or something like that!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ok, here we go with canning the sauce!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl is feeling better and asked me to send her love.  She's still unable to post from her phone so hasn't been keeping up, but you're always in her heart.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you, Kargiver - for that message. Good to hear good news from her. Send her lots of love and hugs back - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Word to the wise, ignore random internet articles when solid, personal medical advice contradicts whatever you read.  Honestly, robin, you're like that woman on the allstate insurance ad dating the "French model" she met on the Internet because everything on the Internet is true, after all.

[/QUOTE]

In response to:

Quote: "And, she doesn't get her information from Dr. Google." End Quote

I have worked in healthcare for over 30 years, so I know the difference between a bs article and a legitimate one, the opinions I offer are based on this, take it or leave it!

No need to be rude, we all have the right to express our opinion on a public forum.

Peace.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank you, Kargiver - for that message. Good to hear good news from her. Send her lots of love and hugs back - Pingo

[/QUOTE]

will do.

Had to take the jars out before a rolling boil when I discovered the headspace is 1/2 inch, not one inch...whoops!  Glad I re-read the instructions in time.  Added 1/2 inch of sauce in each and got them back in and processed. 3 of the 4 have popped...hoping the fourth seals.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, I can't imagine, if you would have to waste all that good sauce with all the work you put into it. I am no canner, but why is the headspace so important and why do they differ? Just curious.
    And please ignore, you know who. Isn't everyone here intelligent enough to check w/ their own doctor first before starting anything new? She is insulting us. - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Canned stuff stays good in part due to the vacuum that forms when the air is sucked out from the top of the food and then the button on the top is suucked in and makes a pop sound, the same sound you hear when you unseal a jar, breaking the seal and the vacuum allowing the button to pop back up. So, the amount of space at the top is very important to the process and varies by how much the food being canned will expand during processing.  You want as little space as possible without causing the food to be pulled up and out of the jar during processing.  Therefore, headspace is a part of every canning recipe.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too much headspace can cause spoilage because the processing time doesn't get all the air out, and there's no way to guess absolutely correctly how much time to add for that to happen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks friend. That makes sense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Chicken legs are in the oven - pumpkin, his Mom and Grandma just left, whoopie pies in tow.  We looked through an album of my oldest (his Great Uncle) when he was his age, and you would think it was the same baby.  Same coloring and expression.  He's definitely taking after our side of the family.  Ended up pulling out something I had had tucked away for Christmas and giving it to him, which he immediately began chewing on the tag!  He's a box, paper, can chewer.  Christmas I could get away with giving him a bag of empty boxes!

You had a good productive afternoon with your canning, Kargiver.  Years ago used to put up tomatoes and boy did they taste good during the winter months when I would open them.  We would just heat and serve them in a little salad dish along with a meal.

Checking some of the windows now and closing them up.  Had them opened so the smell from the oil burner being cleaned wouldn't bother the little one.  BTW, Harry stopped by for some kibble mid afternoon, still minus pink collar.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like a wonderful day, tt.  I'd love a whoopie pie, maybe I'll stop by in a dream tonight.  About baby pictures of relatives, if it weren't for the age of the photos, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my one year old pic and my father's.  We looked exactly the same in those two pictures...so funny.  And, same thing with my step-brother's baby photo and his dad's.  I remember eating tomatoes my grandmother canned whole, too, as a side dish.  I don't have any recollection of her actually putting them up, though.

Pingo, we share a love of the science behind everything. :)  

I should have replaced all four lids after opening them to add more sauce.  The one I reused didn't seal and probably won't at this point.  But, no tears!  It's not ruined, we just have to put it in the fridge and use it within a week or so rather than storing it long term.  Three quarts will be for another time.