September 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: September 2012

Tt, they won't be here for lunch, after all, so I'm off the hook there.  I have a roasted eggplant-pepper spread for dipping veggie sticks for snacks and/or appetizer.  Tonight's dinner is pork tenderloin, green beans, sautéed summer squash and zucchini, and baked potato, all from the garden.  Sprouted "Ezekiel" bread/toast, eggs, uncured nitrate free bacon, and organic Greek yogurt for breakfast, leftovers from dinner for lunch, and braised chicken breasts in eggplant purée and beets for dinner.  I'm the only one without any diet restrictions, but I don't mind accommodating - its better for me even without a need, per se.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You can throw overripe bananas in the freezer, you know, Pingo.  The ones I used yesterday had been in there for a couple of months.  They take no time at all to thaw when you're ready to use them.

I don't expect visit from "the little man" today, DIL never mentioned it when she called yesterday.  I think my GD's work schedule has changed, probably that she is cutting back on her hours now that husband who was laid off at Christmas, has found new work.  I'm pretending they are dropping in tho, and spiffing things up, moving right along.  Fresh place mats on table, and I'm about to go to the attic and get Halloween stuff out.  Have to, when I was in Marshall's the other day all their Halloween things were calling out to me, and I don't 
    need any, have plenty in a box upstairs.  Also, big bag of candy for Halloween (haha) that I bought, is fast disappearing in the tray I put it in - need to get that big plastic jack-0-lantern so I'd have to reach down inside and it won't be so visible!  I'm a woman of such little willpower!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, your menus sound absolutely delicious to me, certainly not like they are for people on any kind of food constraints.  Again, as I said yesterday, your aunt is going to be so proud of you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tt, you're such an encouragement to me!  Thanks so much.

You know if you don't spiff things up they'll be bound to drop in,lol.  Hopefully, they surprise you.  That's great he has a new job...they must be breathing a sigh of relief even though it makes their schedule more structured.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

They are.  He, because he's glad to have a job to go to every day again, and my GD because she's been torn not being with pumpkin during the hours he's doing everything for the first time.  Not sure how they're going to reschedule things, as with my son and wife, her parents, they are very private people.  I ask no questions.

No soap today, I think your husband's tennis is on, Pingo.  Bah!

Rethinking my lunches, all of a sudden the salads I have loved for years don't appeal to me.  Maybe it's just my body getting in tune with the Fall weather that's coming - thinking of making pots of soup and biscuits to go with.  Made mac and cheese last night, so will have those leftovers tonight along with a piece of banana bread.  Have to put jello on my list too, hankering for jello and whipped cream.

Looking at the calendar for September, I have pretty much a clear one - save Lilly's b'day party.  Leaves me lots of time to poke for those Christmas baskets and fillers for them.  Have already picked up a few things I've seen here and there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm heading out soon. Hope everyone was a great weekend and a nice week next week. I'll catch up on Friday. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Safe trip, Winter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks tt. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, I'm sleepy.  Pumpkin did come by and boy, is he active!  He was all over the place, biting cushions, boxes, (he has 6 teeth now), and again passing up blocks, cars, for the box with fancy feast cans!  Glad I had made the banana bread to send home with them, well, I did keep a couple of slices, but there's enough for them to have a slice or two too.  Dent in the halloween candy dish, those little mini bars are each just each about a biteful!  My son had a few too.

Supposed to be a good week-end with rain Monday and Tuesday.  Have one more call in to a home improvement company to see if I can get an estimate on the composite stairs.  If not, will go with the mason I liked, and try not to have a heart attack as I write out the check.

Expecting to be around this week-end, but in case none of you are on the boards, have a good one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    No one up yet? Just came in from my morning cuppa on the deck, it's muggy out there. Last night the TV kept having "breaking news" with warnings of wild weather in ours and nearby counties. Did any of you experienced that? It was nice and quiet around here.
    Yes, sorry tt. It is US Open Tennis time. Big deal for tennis players. DH tape it though and watch it at night fast forwarding all the nonsense.
    I made an awesom pork tenderloin last night. Similar to my rack of lamb. Slathered it with a mustard, citrus, garlic cocoction all over and then rolled and padded it in a mixture of panko crumbs with lots of chopped parsley and a bit of thyme. Then in the oven for about 20 minutes. It was delicious.
    No exciting plans today except for the usual Saturday chores. Laundry and cleaning. Maybe a trip to Rockingham Mall in NH. - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, thanks or tip on freezing banana, didn't know you could do that.  Sistr and niece were down yesterday, my new shakers from the Phillipines are beautiful.  Niece took pictures and posted them on FAcebook, will have DD take a photo and mail you a copy. Take care, off to a yard sale in Kingston.  ss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning.  Was just sending an email to GD about pumpkin and his funny antics yesterday.

Have you ever been to the new mall in Merrimac NH, Pingo?  I haven't myself, but ladies at cookout last week were talking about it, planning to pick me up next time they go.

It was so muggy when I first got up, but now there's a beautiful breeze coming in the windows, so much so, that I've had to put doorstoppers in place to keep them from slamming shut.  We had thunder and lightening last evening, but no real rain, just dark and threatening skies.  Cousin in Peabody had nothing.  Very selective storm passing over, I guess.

Still no news from Amber and I am beginning to be afraid she has gone the way of bg, disappeared off the face of the earth.  Maybe it just seems a longer time than it really has been since we got the news she had come through the procedure well, I'll have to go back and see just when that was.

Laundries are on the docket for me today too, Pingo.  Not much else.  Did a good job of spiffing yesterday, and probably will work some more on the pillow cases.  I had started reading one of the books I had picked up for son, pretty good, but when they stopped by yesterday, I gave them both to him.  Checking freezer too, to see what's in there that would thaw quickly if I've company tomorrow.  Last Sunday nephew from NH called and was going to drop by.  Both he and my DIL whose cookout I was at, have mentioned coming down at some point - trouble is, you never can pin them down.  At least they give a call as they leave their house!

Wondering if I missed news of something going on in town, hear a loud speaker from somewhere, tho not clear enough to make out what they're saying.

Okay, I'm getting up and getting moving here.  Have a nice day everyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I am also concerned about Amber - as we all are. I suddenly remembered, that Kar has her e-mail address. I remember they e-mailed each other once, when Amber was down in the dumps.
    Kar, could you please find it and send her an e-mail as to how she is doing? I would think, she at least would check her e-mails if nothing else.
    If all went well, she should be up and about by now. Even though, she must be very busy with rehab, and probably feel exhausted, so the Chat will be the last on her list.
    Just hope all is well - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Separating dessert recipes from mail meal recipes in my baggie I keep them in, and came across this, another I've never tried, but might be useful to some of you with extra veggies:

Torn out of a magazine, it's a quickie, no cook brine  for spicey pickled summer veggies - mentioned are hot peppers, wax beans, pole beans, radishes, cukes, zucchini, onion, sweet peppers, all thinly sliced lengthwise. 

Combine:
    2 cups white vinegar
    2/3 cup sugar
    4 tsps. sea salt
    2 tsps. dill seed
    1 to 2 tsps. crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    12 whole cloves
    4 bay leaves
    3 to 3 1/2 cups vegetables, combination of any of the above.

Combine first 8 ingredients in a quart jar.  Cover tightly with lid and shake until sugar dissolves.
    Add veggies, cover tightly and shake well. 
    Chill at least 4 hours, shaking occasionally.
    Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

Hope this turns out to be another recipe that has languished untried for years, and ends by being enjoyed by another Chatter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good suggestion, Pingo.  I forgot about the exchange of emails by Amber and Kargiver.  Know she's busy these few days with her aunt and uncle there, but may the middle of the week she could send something off to Amber letting her know how concerned we all are.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You did it again, tt. That recipe is just up my alley. Going to try it. But I would stick the veggies in the jar. Then bring the rest of the ingredients to a boil and pour the hot liquid over the veggies. Think it will be safer. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

ETA to above post: Unless I serve it the same day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No, tt. Haven't yet been to the Merrimack Mall. I believe it is an outlet mall. Everone is raving about it. The distance is the same - about an hour - as it is to Kittery and Wrentham, I believe.
    Will take a look at it sometime. From what I have heard, they have mostly high end stores.
    Just finished lunch. Bacon and omelets with you know what. Delicious! - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS, don't forget, you have a pair of shakers here that G.T. brought you back from their trip to Spain.  I've tucked them in a bureau drawer, in case I forget when we do get together again.

How did you do at the yard sale?  I've been finding a couple of ppbks a week at the library for .25 each, for my in town son.  I won't look for you again, because I'll probably pick up a Kleypas book again, sure that's the author you asked for!  LOL  Donated that for their book sale, btw.

Wind has really picked up the last hour or so.  It's been a very comfortable day, did the wash and stripped and remade my bed, and the rest of the day have pretty much grazed.   I think supper will just be a bowl of cereal.

Pingo, I think the idea of boiling the brine and then pouring over the veggies that are already in the jar, is a good one.  If you do try it, let me know how you like it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

tt, went to yard sale yesterday, same church that used to have the huge book fair, found myself 8 books,  also found out that the church will no longer have the book fair, they ended up with lots of left over books...they seem to think young folks don't want real books, they prefer the kindles, internet etc.  Oh well, at least I won't have DH riding down there every weekend to see when the fair will be.
    Had lots of rain yesterday, today it just seems cool.  More rain is espected. 
    How can you find out when Amber had her OK from surgery??  Forums only go back to Aug. I checked.Till next time take care and keep smiling all.  Safe trip winter...bet you'll find plenty of things to do. ss

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Cool morning. Not a day to enjoy my cuppa outside. Had lots of wind and rain here last night.
    I guess you are right, SS, about the books. The younger generations don't read books. They use the technology. I was a firm believer, that I never wanted any of those devices. I love holding the books in my hands turning the pages, but my son gave me a Kindle, while I was visiting him. And I love it. I never thought I would say that. I am always dragging a book around with me to read while waiting - like in line, doc's office etc. Right now I am reading 11/22/63, and it is definitely a lot easier to have it on the Kindle, than dragging that huge volume around. The Kindle fits nicely in my pocketbook. Also, I like to swich around btw. two books. If one is heavy, I read a bit form a lighter one, then go back to the heavy stuff etc. The Kindle makes this a cinch, since one can download as many books as one wants.
    I finally ordered our new juicer yesterday. I wanted it in black. Partly b/c that's the color of my other small appliances, partly b/c I wanted the newest model. They have improved them and black is a brand new color. Besides beet juice f. ex. stains the white. But no one carry the black one, so I went home to put in an order.
    After a nice relaxing day yesterday, we will be at our office today. So no chatting. I still can't post from the office. Dottie e-mailed me some instructions, she thought might help. Will try them, when I get in and see what happens.
    Have a nice Sunsay all - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

I'm torn between open and closed windows - when I stand at the back door talking to Harry, I think it's nice, yet when I open the window in this room, the air coming in is a little too cool.  Comfortable for getting whatever you need to do , done.

You're right, SS, I didn't realize they hadn't put up postings further back than August.  I guess we'll have to wait and see if Kargiver can make contact with Amber. - Oops, closing this window -   Too bad the church you mention is stopping their book sale.  A lot of places (libraries) have ongoing opportunities to buy books, people bring in ones they're through with, and they're sold for little or nothing.  New ones are being donated every day/week.  Works out well for everyone involved.  My son hadn't read either of the two I picked up last week. 

Took out a couple of chicken legs to roast for my dinner - going out with nanny friend later in the day.  Have fed Harry breakfast and a little brunch, and he's ambled off to his next handout spot!  Cheerio is sleeping on some bubble wrap she found, before I could get what I had unwrapped back in it.  Not much interesting doing here today.  May make a batch of scones for the week.  I'll check in later to see if anyone's on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hope you don't mind, Kargiver, I copied and pasted your post about Amber here:

SHE'S OK!!!!! 

I pinged her in gmail a few times, but didn't want to worry you even more to tell you about my attempt unless she wrote back.  Even if she couldn't get into bdc she'd be able to email so when she didn't... 

Anyway, she wrote back today and said she has had a very difficult recovery requiring rehospitalization.  She didn't give details, but she is home, now, and dd and bf have been taking great care of her. 

She is unable to post with her droid phone so asked me to post for her and pass along her love and good thoughts for all of you.  And, she is sorry to have caused such great concern! 

THANK GOD SHE IS OK!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Of course, I'm thrilled to have it both places, tt, thanks!

Pingo, so relieved you didn't remember earlier that I had her address.  I wrote a long time ago and pinged again more recently, and when I didn't hear back I was extra distressed because I knew it couldn't be simply a bdc problem.  No sense scaring everyone, but yes, I've been trying to reach her behind the scenes!

Had a marvelous visit with aunt and uncle; they left late this morning and will stay overnight on the way home from Maine sometime next week.

Dh is out with Gracie having missed their hikes for the last two weekends.  Gorgeous day for it.

Nice to have the tv on and just relax alone...not that I don't love and enjoy our family 100%, of course.

Havent caught up yet, but had to post for amber immediately.  Will check out all your goings on soon.

~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So, what did your Aunt think of the veggies you had preserved?  Had she ever done that?  Did you do any together?  Time for a respite now, from company, I would say.  Time to relax, relax, relax.

Sections
Shortcuts