September 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: September 2012

tt, that is quite a haul.  I loved shopping for the little ones.  Now my little ones are big ones!  Even my friend next door is becoming quite grown up. Her brother (my Godson) is still little, so I can buy outfits for him.  GS accepted my invitation to lunch on Sunday and asked if I'd be bringing my father.  I said I would ask and my father said yes. DIL will be back to see him Columbus Day.  GS told me he doesn't think he'll go home until Thanksgiving, so I guess he's happy.

pingo, if you don't like swordfish, try another kind.  Just make sure it is a firm fish that will hold up in the oven.  Haddock or hake is too flaky.  Halibut or monkfish will work.  

Going to a funeral on Saturday. Not local though.  Somewhere in MA along the southern Vermont border.  My gps says to take Route 2 - not a route I usually drive, but the turnpike would be significantly longer.  As long as it doesn't rain, I'll be ok.

Beautiful day today.  I will take  a walk at lunchtime.

mothermitzi 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I will take  a walk at lunchtime.

mm, it sounds like your foot is much better. Wish I could take a walk like you. I can manage to get around the house and office, but still cannot walk continously for more than 5 minutes w/o my hips bothering me. And going down stairs is still painful. It stinks, but I am 90% better than I used to be. So that is progress. I will take that.
    - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Back home. No posts on the Chat Forum. So sad! BDC/Dottie are you listening? Is Kar and I the only ones that can get through? Just so you know, I miss my friends. I miss the daily chatter, I miss to hear their ups and downs. You, BDC has taken that away from me. I just wish, I had saved their e-mail adresses, when they were available.
    Your site is so fauled up. I tried to give you some time to have it corrected. Is there really an improvement in sight? Please don't have the Confidential Chat die. - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Greetings, friends!  Sorry for the silence, but aunt and uncle returned yesterday, and we've been out and about today.  Trader Joes, out to lunch, another health food store, then back home.  Walked Gracie, made sprouted spelt (aunt just introduced me to it) biscuits with coconut oil instead of Crisco.  Absolutely elegant.  Went with the butternut chicken soup superbly.

I hope the forums do get worked out soon...but, I'm not avoiding posting because of the issues, just taken away for now.  Aunt and uncle will be here at least through Saturday morning. We are having a marvelous time.

Thinking of you all and will catch up when our house is quiet, again. 

HUGS!

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Yes, pingo, my foot is much better.  The orthotics have helped immensely.  My right hip bothers me occasionally now, and I think it's a result of wearing that boot for several weeks.  It threw me off kilter.  However, it's not painful enough for me to do anything except complain now and then! Besides, I'll trade no foot pain for a bit of hip discomfort.  All part of being the age I am. I ended up staying in the office for lunch.  Last minute emergency.  I walked home after work though.  It's finally cool enough.  Space is at a premium on the Mass. Ave. bridge.  There is a bike lane on the roadway and most bicyclists use it.  However, the sidewalk is packed with people walking, running, rollerblading and the random idiot who tries to ride a bike on the sidewalk. Keeps me on my toes.  I'll never get tired of the view from that bridge though.  

kar, sounds like you are enjoying your company.  Last week, I ate at a restaurant in Boston that serves small plates.  One of the dishes was carbonarra with spelt pasta.  Not bad.  At home, I use farro pasta and I don't miss traditional pasta one bit.  I've gotten used to brown rice, too.  

mothermitzi  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Mothermitzi, will your health insurance cover some visits to a physical therapist? Whichever doctor had you in a boot should write you a prescription for physical therapy - check it out. The PT will give you exercies to do to work on that hip so it doesn't remain a permanent problem.  Because anytime there is pain or even less muscle tone in something, we tend to favor it, and the problem grows. And being in a boot for a while can totally decrease your muscle tone, or stress something else, that's for sure.

Been there, still doing that, with post-surgical physical therapy to rehab after surgery this past July! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Good morning all! Couldn't sleep so I got up at 5:30 to drink coffee and read.  Nothing of any interest happening here but I am busy with quotidian things. 

This may be the last hot day for a while so getting ready to put on shorts and a shirt. will miss wearing my summer clothes when the weather turns.  Pingo, you mentioned seeing juncoes early.  The bird report in last Sunday's Globe mentioned two other birds, including red headed nuthatches that are being seen - irruptions to the south, they call it.  Wonder if it means a hard winter.

All the birds in my yard have pretty much gone silent - we have two hawks whose whistles I have heard several times, and I saw them fly up together once.  Youngish red tails - very impressive but I am sad not to see and hear the birds who had been flying around and singing all summer.

The tree trunks are gilded by the rising sun shining through the gap between the houses here.  Very pretty, makes one want to paint them - but my eyes are still heavy from lack of sleep.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Very happy with the guy who came this morning to give me a price on composite stairs.  Found they also do roofs, so will get 2 separate prices.

Hats, interesting the hawks are back in your area.  I saw them at the beginning of summer, I think I had posted a pic of one on top of my feeder in fact, but once their young were born, didn't see them sweeping through the sky any more.  Colder weather will probably bring them back looking for food again.  The other day I did the call of a bird I hadn't heard before.  I suppose it's one passing through to winter in the South.  I'm like the roadside diner for birds on their travel, stop by for a couple of days and stock up on feed.

Gorgeous morning, I too, am in my shorts, baring these legs to the last of the summer sun.  My appt with guy was so early this morning, that I feel I should get out and cross off a few more stops I have on my list of places to go.  Beautiful, quiet morning.

Winter, hope there's a post from you when I get back.  I'm sure you had a wonderful, if tiring time.  Kargiver, glad you're getting to enjoy your aunt and uncle a little longer than you originally thought.  Pingo, sorry you're still having hip pain.  You had been so optomistic about the therapy you were doing.  Mm, good to hear you're getting relief from foot pain.  I know my back pain has diminished by 90% since getting the adjustments put in my shoes and switching to SAS.  Icer, Vegas sounds like a perfect diversion from what's going on in you life right now.  Okay, I'm out of here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    mm, I totally agree with you as well as CT-DC. Been there, done it. With the boot, your walk was not your normal gait - you had to make up for the boot and shift your weight. Unknowingly favorizing one leg for the other could definitely create a problem. A few sessions with a PT, could do you a lifetime of good. Please look into it.
    Hats, I love reading your posts. Today I learned a new word: quotidian. Born a non English speaking person, I am eager to learn and improve my English. Also, "The tree trunks are gilded by the rising sun" caught my eye. What a lovely description. Much better than most would describe it. Are you a writer?
    Kar, I am glad you are having a great time w/ your aunt and uncle. Coconut oil instead of Crisco? That so appeals to me. Never liked Crisco, but I used it b/c the recipe called for it. Please let us know, how it does in your pie crusts. Sprouted spelts? Where do you get the grains? What a lovely educational visit you have. So envious. And thanks for sharing your aunt's valuable teachings.
    Taking the day off. Having errands to run. Plus the house needs a good going-over. My juicer will come today, so I am making lists of what produce to get. A time consuming trip to MB is emminent.
    Have a good day all - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, Pingo, I've been out, done my errands, and am back home already!  Had my hair cut, shopped in Trader Joe's where I discovered frozen chunks of pineapple in a reclosable pkg, and then up the pike to the Paper Store where I got all next month's b'day cards and a couple of extra Christmas gifts to tuck in here and there.  In T.J.'s also got something called a pear apple.  Never tried them, but liked the looks, so picked up a couple to try.  Oh, almost forgot, in their mall is a liquor store, so much as I hate to not service my local packie, stopped in there and got my Michelob Ultra.  What a productive morning all told, and all because I had an 8:30 appt. with stair guy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, sounds like you have a very productive morning. I did too. Finished two loads of laundry, polished my wood floors and our bedding is in the dryer right now. So glad you are still posting. Did you have problems this morning getting in? For me, I have no problems at home, but at work I get the run-around.
    Haven't heard from Winter yet. She is either boggled down with work, or she is having the same problems getting to the Forums, as eveyone else. Hope she made it home alright for her son's birthday.
    On my way out to MB. Have a long list to cross off. Chat later - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I suspect it is a combination of the two with Winter - overloaded with pile up work, and perhaps also trouble getting in.  So far this morning I haven't had any problem.  The ad problems I've had usually start around mid-day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hello!  I think they have fixed the having to login 100 times a day bug.  I logged in at 7 and have stayed logged in all day.  Hallelujah!  or Alleluia!

Thanks for the kind words, Pingo, I do write a bit.  Not fiction, though.

I also thought Winter would have returned but perhaps with a week's work to do in a day she is too busy to report on her trip to Texas.

TT, my shorts are white.  Managed to keep them that way in spite of the dirtiness of the playground.  It's so dry that one of the girls was picking up dirt in her hands and blowing it around in great clouds.  I, the mean teacher, made her wash her face twice before going home time.  Have a lovely weekend all.  Anyone going to cook something special?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, Hats - you brought the cat out of the bag. You are are teacher. God bless you! Not a job I would want these days. No wonder you have such a nice vocabular.
    I just love to read proper English. I can't stand it, when people write "your" instead of "you are" f.ex. I am trying so hard to write and spell properly. English is a beautiful language, and it does  bother me, when natives mess up with it.
    - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wouldn't bother me on a board like this - it's just a "chat" board, not an essay submitting thread.  I'll have to watch my posts, why I even make up words quite often because I like the sound of them - not to mention using the wrong ones.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, your made up words are funny and entertaining. I will take those any time, b/c one knows they are made up words and they are funny. You don't need to check your posts.
    What bothers me are the everday used words like "there" for "their" and "your" for "you are". I agree, it is just a Chat board, but I still find it sloppy not to use the proper words. There are enough other spelling mistakes to worry about. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No visit from pumpkin today, but son and DIL did stop by to pick up the scones and choc chip cookies.  We were talking about baking and DIL told me she makes banana bread only puts it in muffin tins.  That way her college son, if he doesn't have time for breakfast in the morning, can grab one, take it with him, and eat it more easily than a slice of banana bread.  I thought that was ingenious - good idea, like Pingo's about making the wowie cake in cupcake tins.  I do that all the time now, yet for 40 years I was making it, never thought of doing that.  We learn from each other.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Having given all my scones away, I was left this morning with only 4 choices for breakfast:  cold cereal, hot oatmeal, English muffins, OR chocolate chip cookies and coffee - what would your choice be, and what do you suppose I'm enjoying right now?  lol

Looks like rain any minute.  My kind of Saturday.  Planning out what I'll make for goodies for next Sunday - Lilly's grandma (and Papa, I hope) and coming down with the kids, and upon hearing that, G.T. said to set another couple of plates at the table that he and partner will be down for lasagna too.  That's what I love to hear.  But now, comes the big decision on what baking creations I will made the couple of days ahead of time.  Already bought another container of figs at T.J.'s, so plan on doing a batch of the fig squares Saturday, cranraisin scones for Sunday's early arrivals, but not decided on what for dessert yet.  Don't want to spread myself too thin on stamina, since I like to only bake things a day ahead of time, but going over desserts in my mind that would appeal to both kids and grownups.  Thrown in there too, is a request from pumpkin's mom for some whoopie pies when her folks come over Friday.  I'm baking 2 or 3 times a week anyway, and I told them to have the kids put in their requests.  Whoopie pies it is this week, and half moons next.

Hoping in the shower and really, honestly, truly, spending today's energy on giving that toyroom a good cleaning in preparation for the kids next Sunday.  Have to remember to give the oldest girl the canvas I bought - asked her to duplicate (if Papa doesn't mind) a painting of a koi fish she had done for him.  She did it in beautiful colors and I'd love to have it hanging here to look at when I'm on the computer.  She's very talented, and she doesn't know it, but when it's done I plan on giving her a "commission", the same amount I'd be willing to pay if I saw it in an art gallery.  This year and next of school, and then we'll see in what direction her talent takes her.

Have a good day everyone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Like you DIL's idea of making the banana bread in muffin cups. Thanks for mentioning my Wowie Cake muffins. I feel really ingenious right now. LOL
    It sounds like you are going to have a big party next Sunday. Good idea to do advance preparations. And to boot GT and GP are joining you. Yes, I made up an abbriviation for GT's partner. Do you like it? He is now so much a part of the Chat family, that I thought it would be appropiate to give him a BDC name.
    Dessert? I will post my Lemonade Cake. It is all make ahead and freeze. Then take it out 1/2 hour before serving. And it is delicious.
    Not much in he wings today. Except, I have to go to the office at some  point, when DS calls. We have to close our fiscal year for one of our companies, which ends 8/31. Can't write checks before that is done. We are so lucky, that DS take care of our computer needs. Saving big bucks.
    I am so angry at UPS. They did it again. Was supposed to have my juicer delivered yesterday. The tracking tells me "out for delivery at 7:24am. Business not open, will deliver next busness day". Bullsh*t! This is the 3rd time this happened. The trucks are not rolling out until 9am (I live near by and always get stuck in their traffic, so I know). The last two times it happened, my merchandize was not even on the trucks. It was still in the sort facility, where I picked them up. Someone is going to hear from me, big time.
    Have a good day all - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ohhhh, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that phone call!

The lemonade cake recipe sounds like a good idea.   They're all lemon lovers.  I'll check over from time to time on the recipe thread to see if it's there. 

P.S.  Again, never thought of "G.P."  haha

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Skimmed a little, apologies for missing most of what's happening.  Had a migraine yesterday so it was a mixed blessing that aunt and uncle had a business emergency (his) that required them to leave yesterday instead of today.  

Mm, what restaurant in Boston served the spelt pasta?  I, too, found getting used to whole grains an easy transition.  Love the taste and texture over white flour.  We're getting into sprouted grains, now, since learning about them this visit.

Yes, Pingo, having aunt with us a few days I learned a ton of cutting edge nutrition she's just now learning herself.  I have no interest in arguing with lurkers about nutrition so if you're interested in  what I've learned and am already putting into practice since their visit email me at kargiverbdc @ gmail.

I've dealt with the same bull from ups actually lying about their delivery attempts with their logging attempts to deliver packages that I know didn't happen because I was there...three days in a row.

"GP," love it.  Definitely more expedient and personal than "gt's partner." :)

Cookies for breakfast, yum, tt!  I had a leftover sprouted spelt biscuit and coffee.  It was pretty tasty, but not as good as a cookie, lol.  Just had a mid morning snack of butternut squash chicken soup.

Dh is out with Gracie, and I'm heading to the farmer's market without her for once.  She's fun, but sometimes I enjoy being sans dog.

Enjoy this gorgeous day!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I couldn't get into the recipe thread. The original recipe I found at Cuisine.com (I believe, not even sure) but I couldn't find it. I changed several things, so I could call it my own. So, here we go:

Lemonade Cake

Crush about a cup of craham crackers finely. Mix with a stick of melted butter and a Tbs. of sugar. Pat into a springform lined with a circle of parchment paper. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. Cool down completely.
    Crush a bag of frozen raspberries (thawn) with a couple of Tbs. of sugar. Strain through a sieve. Discard the solids and save the sauce for later.
    Whip 2 cups of heavy cream.
    Mix 12 oz. of frozen lemonade w/ a can of sweetened condensed milk. Just so it is combined - don't overmix.
    Fold it gently into the whipped cream. Pour into the cracker cumbs pan and spead to an even surface.
    Drizzle some of the raspberry sauce on top and pull a toothpick back and forth to make a nice pattern. Then place in the freezer.
    Take out 1/2 hour before serving. Cut in small servings (it is rich) and serve with some more raspberry sauce.
    I made it twice already, and it was a hit both times. And so easy on me. Yeah!
    Hope you will like it - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thawed, not thawn.  Sounds delectable!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I realized that, after I posted, but I couldn't change it. Thanks anyway.

Also ETA re raspberry sauce. Place the thawed raspberries in the blender w/ a couple of Tbs. sugar. Blend until saucy. Then press through a strainer, discard the solids and save the sauce for later.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, I wish they would fix these issues.  Auto correct is still all messed up, too, and like you say, if it mangles stuff and you don't realize it before you post it's too late...argh!