September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: September 2013

Pingo, I haven't started...I have a Bachelor's degree and two certificates already...guess I'm just a glutten for punishment. tt, I know, I think it's odd, we use an ad agency and at most they give us 5 diferent layouts. Clearly '72 was a good year for babies!

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It's not so much the time consuming factor of the homework, it's that previously I am use to writing papers, etc. So having to come up with creative ideas is a new to me.

- Darth Vadar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I used to be close to an art student who became a graphic designer, and I think even he would have trouble coming up with 7 different designs worth considering.  But, if you come up with 2 or 3 great ones and something for the others I'm sure that will be considered fabulous.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, I certainly didn't mean to offend you by getting "started". I am sorry, if I did. I apologize. I know you are well educated.
    What I meant about getting "started" was only in terms of starting something new, after years away from school and homework.  And I do give you lots of credit for that.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

No worries, it just that I'm not used to doing this "type" homework.

- Darth Vadar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Stepping outside the box, as they say.  Stretching your mind in a different direction.  Good for you, Winter.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes I agree, I do alot of layout stuff at work, but we have an ad agency that does the creative. I'm sure they would still do it, but I can do alot of other stuff that they charge us for.

- Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Winter, you are inspiring me!  I just bit the bullet and signed up for a course too.  Not a fun art course like the ones I took last year, either. 

And I updated my resume this morning because DH announced last night that there's one of the usual periods of uncertainty and manuvering going on at his place right now, so want to be prepared in case I need to look for a more lucrative job. 

I am sure that your course will help you in that department too - always good to have an extra string for your bow!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"- always good to have an extra string for your bow!"

Love your phraseology, Hats.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

"- always good to have an extra string for your bow!"

Love your phraseology, Hats.

tt

I'm living in the 14th century still, TT.  What can I say?  I love history!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm living in the 30's - on a farm - in Maine - or perhaps even further back - to the early settlers!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yeah, you and Kar are the pioneer women...much more than that one in TX.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

Yes I agree, I do alot of layout stuff at work, but we have an ad agency that does the creative. I'm sure they would still do it, but I can do alot of other stuff that they charge us for.

- Darth Vadar

This new course you are taking might just prove to be a fun aspect of your workload.  That's the way I felt about "Excel" when I first learned that at work.  You could do so much and set up so many different kinds of spreadsheets.  Loved it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Finally, had a chance to catch up. CONGRATULATIONS Pingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are lots of free frilly sewing patterns on Pintrest.

We had a busy week and weekend! Had a wonderful time in York and I took DS and DD to the beach on Friday. First time for DD so it was a short day. Luckily it was rather gray and not overly warm, because she really would have been unhappy in the long sleeve shirt. DS and I both got in the water, which was surprisingly warm. Saturday DH and I celebrate our anniversary, with an overnight for the kids! Other then the weather not being great it was a spectacular long weekend.

We very busy with school transitions, our favorite teacher is moving to the traditional Nursery School program, but DS was invited to join the afternoon class 2 days a week. It will mean no nap, but it will be good for him to be with the older kids. He will stay in the daycare Preschool room the rest of the time.

I am waiting for work to decide if I can continue working from home a couple of days a week until DD is in school. I told them if it wasn't an options I would be leaving. They countered with a part-time offer, but it is in the office and would do nothing to eliminate the 12hrs of commute time I do now and would be a lot less money. Trying to decide what to say next is tough, as I have never negotiated before.

As I predicted the tomatoes are coming in so this will be a canning weekend for me. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The pickling/canning bug is getting ahold of everyone.  G.T. emailed the other day that he wanted to learn how to pickle some green tomatoes.  Oh, if only his grandmother were alive.  She would be so pleased.  I do still have a pamplet on canning/preserving that she had sent for from either the government or Maine Extension (I'll have to look and see), and I'm sure it gives all the fundamentals.  She learned at her aunt's kitchen table.

Me, I'm baking.  Have another batch of whoopie pies in the oven.  Have been googling for some cookie recipes that would appeal to me, something from the regular, choc chip, peanut butter, oatmeal with raisins or cranraisins, cookie cutter sugar, molasses.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you SAW and everyone else for the good wishes. Yes, Hats - I feel over the moon, even though it is still sinking in. I have to pinch my self in the arm, just to make sure, I am not dreaming. My excitement must show. Our VP came in and said, "You look exceptional happy today. Had a good weekend with the kids?"
    Did you find your cookie, tt? Looks like there are not many options left. Wish I had some of GT's green tomatoes to pickle. We will miss them at our TG dinner. Even though, we will most likely go to TX. It is their turn to get up here, but DIL's doc has already told her no travelling for TG or Christmas.
    We will probably be spending both in TX. UKS is thinking of going to Brasil and Argentina during his Christmas vac with a friend, so no need for us to stay here.
    Don't know about you, but I feel cold today. Have only a short sleeve top on. Need to bring a sweater tomorrow. Don't want to start the heat yet.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I called yesterday to make an appt to have my oil burner cleaned, Pingo and the first week in October is the first opening they have.

Air has cooled down considerably.  Sun has gone in here and really cool air is coming in this window,at least.  Whoopies baked, waiting for them to cool so I can fill.  Only will get 13 this time, so must have been a little more generous with the spoonfuls.

When G.T. was down this week-end pruning/cutting back, etc., he did the wisteria good, but I notice he cleared out the branches underneath.  That is next to the shrub where Harry usually sleeps, and he hasn't seemed to be hanging around the yard.  Maybe he feels there's not enough camoflauge left there now.

Got a couple of washes done and the l.r. spiffed up, otherwise, not much accomplished.  Whoopies don't count, they're a treat for me!

Have you thought of a blanket to knit for the baby when she arrives, Pingo?  There are some beautiful designs out there, and gorgeous yarns.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes TT, I just made a note to bring my warm socks to work on Monday, my toes are cold! I need to do the oil burner thing too but need to wait until the schedule calms down.   Also need to schedule maintenance for the car but I do have about a 1k mileage window left.

TT, how about some snickerdoodles?  I have a terrific recipe I could post if you don't have a favorite.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

During lunch today I drew 3 sketches, but I have to make themon the computer so that will be fun. Cookies nad Whopie Pies sound delicious. Pingo, what a nice UKS has planned. I'll be heading out. Tonight is the Welcome Back BBQ at DS' school.

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got back on the computer after a couple of phone calls and Dr. Phil.  I don't think I've ever made Snickerdoodles, Hats - are they butterscotch?  If you have time, would love the recipe.  I'm sick of the regular same old/same old.  Never get sick of my whoopies tho, had one while watching Dr. Phil, and I had miscounted, ended up with 15 pies.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SAW, so sorry you are having to deal with such an ultimatum at work; I hope it goes in your favor.  Re negotiations, it helps to have more leverage, obviously - think about what that might be and spotlight it.  Have fun with the tomatoes.  I might be joining the canning effort with ours, finally, too; they are finally turning red in abundance.

tt, I learned EVERTHING I needed to know about water bath (boiling water method) canning from "Put 'Em Up."  It explains everything from safety to technique in such gross detail that it took all the fear of the process out and makes it a lot of fun. I didn't have anyone show me (the friend that came over that first time didn't remember much and was more a distraction than a help, frankly).  That book has excellent illustrations and recipes, too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

DD made these recently and they were so good I had to hide them from myself.  I do think the real key is to use butter.  (We use salted and don't add the salt.0

http://www.joyofbaking.com/Snickerdoodles.html

2 3/4 cups (360 grams) all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla

Coating:

1/3 cup (66 grams) granulated white sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. 

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until smooth (about 2 to 3 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat until you have a smooth dough. If the dough is soft, cover and refrigerate until firm (about one to two hours).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (190 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. 

Shape the dough into 1 inch (2.5 cm) round balls.

Coating: In a large shallow bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon.

Roll the balls of dough in the cinnamon sugar and place on the prepared pan, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Then, using the bottom of a glass, gently flatten each cookie to about 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) thick.

Bake the cookies for about 8 - 10 minutes, or until they are light golden brown and firm around the edges. The centers of the cookies will still be a little soft. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

Can store in an airtight container, at room temperature, for about 10 - 14 days.

Makes about 4-5 dozen cookies.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Posted a reply - but it disappeared - - - - poof

Thanks, Hats.   Reading the recipe I know I have never made these.  The next baking expedition, they will be on the agenda.  Sound good.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Yes, 72 apparently was a good year for babies!

Kar--I am 59, not 69! We had a teenage wedding -that lasted! I love spaghetti squash, but I like it as a squash, not as a pasta. I do like the whole wheat pasta, so that is a good thing.

Winter- good luck with your project. And, I give anyone credit who goes back to school, or even just takes classes, after being out for a period of time. For me--never again! And I am glad I don''t have to deal with homework, or all that anymore. Funny, I said to my neighbor the other day how I used to admire her patience when her kids were little with homework--they really had a very hard time with reading, math, etc, it would have driven me crazy. They turned out fine, though-ones owns her own salon, the other is a master electrician.

I always though Snickerdoodles had chocolate and peanuts--I guess I was getting them mixed up with the candy bars.

Saw--good luck with your negotiating-that is a big decision.

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Whoops, that's what I get for assuming, egg on my face, lol!!  Funny re Snickers v Snickerdoodles, very cute mistake. ;)

hats, are those Snickerdoodles chewy or crispy?

Sections
Shortcuts