September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: September 2013

Hats, Those cookies sounds really good. Have printed the recipe and will try them this weekend. DH loves everything cinnamon.
    I always use butter and whole milk, whenever I bake. My mother always used that and when I used her recipes and trying to do them lowfat, the final product changed drastically. I figured cakes, cookies and desserts are not diet items anyway, so why bother to cut a few calories. Only thing I have experimented with is using coconut oil for shortening. I use it in my muffins and cakes, and they come out just fine. But I still use butter, when I make pancakes f. ex. Pancakes need to taste of butter IMO. But we don't butter them, when we eat them. So there is a savings right there.
    Just planted a second set of Mexican Petunias our DIL brought us. Our landscaper weed-wacked the first set, I planted in July. I have marked them well, so they cannot miss them. Besides I gave him a "lecture", when he came to get his payment. The problem is, he is having other companies doing some of the work for him. And they don't care. The roots are still in the ground, and I have seen two of them coming back. In TX they grow like weeds and spread, so I am hoping I will have luck with them, even though they are taken out of their environment. They have gorgeous blue flowers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Some, like me, don't like the taste of butter - so use margarine.  The only difference I have noticed in switching in the baking I've done over the years, is that when a recipe calls for "shortening", it means "shortening" (Crisco). 

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I use spreadable land of lakes butter for putting on food, bread, mashed potatos, but for baking I use the sticks.I have completed my assignment and posted it. I hand sketched the logos and will end up with 3 that I need to put on the computer.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Didn't you have until tomorrow night to finish the project?  So, you finished ahead of time?  That's great to have come up with 7 in that length of time.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I did finish ahead of time, though I have to give feedback to two people (50 words each) before midnight tomorrow. Only two people have done it besides me, one I'm going to comment on but I'm staying far away from the other one...

- Darth Vadar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Nothing nice to say about that one, Winter?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

No not at all. Sketches look like something a 3-year did I just don't know what to say. Another student asked some questions about them. I'm hoping that if he replies I can respond with something.

Maybe I'll share my drawings with you guys if you'd like to see?

- Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'd love to see them.  No expert or probably even very knowledgeable about it, but am curious as to what different ideas you came up with.  Some of the others could probably give you much more helpful feedback.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

OK here they are. It's for the Chicago Botanic Garden. I decided for a more fun approach and something that one might find in a garden. I did use pencil, so sorry if you can't see any of them. I know you can't see some of the words I notice. My favorires are the tree, butterfly and I love the bee.

- Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I wonder if they are in fact looking for a new logo, or if this is just a "suppose" assignment?

Googled them and their present logo is a very simple one - I like the tree, but since most of their gardens involve flowers, wonder if either the 3 tulips or the one below, the 3 leaf one, might be more appropriate -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Could I make a methodological comment? You might find that doing each sketch on a post-it note and trying to fill the note helps in that when you "glue" them all together, they will all look comparable...stick them to a piece of paper, .then you can photocopy/scan the page, lighten/darken, etc. draw a border, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I like those three as well. I thought their current logo was bland as well. hats, I thought of the post it idea, but I wanted to draw on a larger service, and I didn't have any white post it notes.

- Darth Vadar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love the bee, too, Winter - great job!  The watering can is my second choice.

Pingo, GL with the dishwasher; like you say, good thing it didn't happen with your unlimited glass use company.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Bee and then watering can is my vote

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My designs were just slammed by a student for being to kid-centric.

- Darth Vadar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think why I leaned more towards the tulips and the 3 leaf one, was with the thought of it appearing on letterhead which might be going out looking for donations.  (And the tree too, altho that made me think more of an arboretum).

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, do you have any tips on the making/baking of these snickerdoodles?  Googling (the sugar seemed a lot to me), apparently they are not the easiest cookie to bake to perfection.  A couple of minutes here or there seem to make a big difference in the texture.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be interested to see what the teacher has to say. I'm going to start on the book lesson for next week, because I'll have to put these on the computer and that's going to take some time. I'll be heading out in a bit, have a good night everyone.

- Darth Vadar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I didn't make them the DD did.  She did a great job. I used to make them when I was young....

You could do a test batch of just a few cookies to adjust the baking time for your oven.  They don't really brown; as someone said, they are like a sugar cookie with a cinnamon coating on the outside.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Party for Lilly bug next week-end, thinking of bringing a batch for that. 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, birthday party? Or first day of school party? Just wondering, does Lilly bug like cinnamon? Some children are adverse to that. Maybe you can do half of them w/ just sugar coating and half w/ sugar/cinnamon coating. Just saying.
    Making a Tomato Pie for tonight's dinner. Bought extra tomatoes for the boys. They like to eat them just like apples. Now want to use them, before they go mushy. I have never made one before, but found the recipe on the net. Sounded yummy. I didn't feel like making tomato sauce again.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Birthday party, but I've already changed my mind.  Not sure of their love of cinnamon, so will make a batch of fun shape sugar cut out cookies with different colored sprinkles on top.  Kids will be sure to like those.

Googled tomato pie because I had never heard of it.  Let me know how you like it.

I took out eggplant parm I had frozen and had that with a salad and a glass of pinot gricio.  Freezer is getting down to mostly tomato sauce products (Amer chop suey, lasagna).  There is a pkg of double chicken breasts, with skin and bones, so will roast those Sunday for dinner with mashed potatoes and peas.  A regular dinner for a change.  I've been grabbing this and that, and not having full meals, it seems.  DIL may come down for our day of shopping alone, but even if she doesn't I will be making myself a good Sunday dinner.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, sorry I butted in. But I think you will be a lot better off with your sugar cookies w/ the sprinkles. I would feel awfully bad for you, if you went through a new recipe, and none of the kids would want your cookies. Kids don't have the same palate as grown ups, and they are quite verbal about it too.
    I will sure let you know about the tomato pie. We had it once a very long time ago at friends for lunch. I remember we both loved it. For tomato growers it would be a good thing for using up tomatoes.
    Your Sunday dinner sounds delicious. What time will you be serving it? We will bring a bottle of Pinot Gricio.
    Better get that pie in the oven. DH will be home very soon.
    Have a good evening everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

My designs were just slammed by a student for being to kid-centric.

- Darth Vadar

You should point out that no institution can survive these days without appealing to children. People are much more willing to spend a lot of momey on attractions that appeal to the whole family.  In fact, Dallas has just opened up a Children's Botanic Garden. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Brrr, cold house, and musty smelling when I got up.  Bothered by that, not sure what caused it, perhaps the closet upstairs where the back is still open from where roofer knocked it down to check where leak was coming in?  Friend of my son's already checked and everything is dry there. Had called roofer last week and he will set up a time this week to come and re plaster that.  Anyway, since I couldn't warm the house up, I could warm up my insides - chocolate chip pancakes, with enough left over to reheat some for tomorrow's breakfast, even enough left for 2 if DIL should come and would like some. - Think you can see I miss cooking for a family.

Going to get around and since my windows are bothering me, may start a room at a time doing the insides and the venetian blinds.  Nothing like sparkling windows.  Cleaned bathroom and kitchen yesterday, so I'm free to pick and choose today.

Enjoy your week-end.  SS, hope your new dishwasher got delivered and set up.  I'd be lost without mine.  All those years when there were 6 of us in this house, no dishwasher (well, the kids, if you can count them!), and never got it until I had the kitchen remodeled about 20 years ago.  Glad they talked me into it, because now I couldn't see my life without it.  Still do some things by hand, but the bulk goes in there for 2-3 loads a week.

Check in later, have to get a move on.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt