September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: September 2013

Add me to the GS group. Not in this country though. From I was 8 until I left my home country. Ended up being a GS leader. Such good memories from that time.
    Had a very busy afternoon. Now ready to go home. Have a good night everyone.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Add me to the GS group. Not in this country though. From I was 8 until I left my home country. Ended up being a GS leader. Such good memories from that time.
    Had a very busy afternoon. Now ready to go home. Have a good night everyone.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm glad to hear your memories of Scouts/Guides are good ones.  I make sure all the girls and adults I come in contact with know that our movement is a world wide one; and all promises have three parts!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My memories are good, too, but so short.  I joined about 6 months before we moved to FL, and I have no recollection of why I didn't do it there.  It was just me and my mom, totally alone, and we had moved for my health so maybe it was just how things went.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

That's too bad, Kar, maybe your mother felt that being outdoors wouldn't be good for your health, what with the bugs and alligators and unfamiliar allergens?  Too bad no one told you to be an independent scout - formerly Juliettes - formerly lone Girl Scouts...you work on stuff by your self and can do things at the council level without having a troop.  Always an option for girls.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think she had her hands full.  I managed ok.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Clicking stations and came across "Play Misty for me"  - remember that movie?  A lot of parts I had forgotten - eerie what a stalker she was of Clint.  Gave me the creeps and I had to get away from it for a bit.

Went out grocery shopping this afternoon after Y&R and just got back in when neighbor (C.L.) called to come up for tea.  She brought a home made (from a farm stand) peach pie.  To die for.  I had treated myself to a pkg. of S&S cannolis, and now I've this pie too.  Tell Winter, Kargiver, that they're both on the top shelf of the fridge if the two of you want to slip in during the night!

Back to Clint and "Play Misty for me".

BTW:  both Harry and Fluff were here tonight.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Had a dinner for the record books...or the recipe book I'm supposed to be writing, right, tt?  Made a stock from the lobster refuse, sauteed garden carrots, onions, and celery with store bought potatoes and garlic in the clarifoed butter we used to dip the lobster in last night.  Added sauteed mushrooms from other meal.  Puréed 1/5th of those with some of the stock in the vitamix.  Strained the stock, added the veggies and purée, and simmered for a couple of hours until DH got home.  Added thawed shrimp and half cooked scallops and simmered 3 minutes.  Omgosh, gourmet yumminess!  That and a beer was 7th heaven.  DH was happy, too, and had his with spelt toast.  Not sure if this or the plain lobster was better.  What will we have tomorrow?  Tough acts to follow.  It's national cheeseburger day, though, so we might be celebrating that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I made soup with chicken, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, garlic, italian seasoning, salt and pepper; added orzo at the end.  A little mozzarella in the bowl made it even more special. 

Last night we had onion soup with whole wheat baguettes and cheddar on top.  Soup three times in four days, the windows are closed for the first time since June, the kitchen curtains are down so that they and the windows can be washed before we put up the storms.  Yes, summer is gone.  Sigh.  I didn't get to swim nearly enough.

Dishes are done.  I just baked brownies; waiting for the water to boil for a cup of decaf tea to go with. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Dinner sounds devine - worthy of any first class restaurant, Kargiver.  My mouth is watering.  Mine was a paltry roast beef (tho it was sliced thin, rare, and so good) with cheese/mustard sandwich.  Tomorrow's National Cheeseburger Day?  Oh no.  I've no hamburg.  Did buy cabbage and "stuff" with the idea of making a pot of cabbage soup tomorrow.  Did the "buy a bag of onions" thing again.  I use so few, and always go back and forth - should I buy just one big onion or buy the bag of yellow onions which are cheaper, but that I'll never get to use all of - this time bought the bag.

Just watched the last of Misty.  Right up there with "Psycho."  Funny how you kind of forget bits and pieces and I even forgot how it ended.  Now I'll have to find a calm me down, peaceful movie before bed.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Onion soup TT?  I was so glad when I found the container in the freezer yesterday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

No more cold for me.  Woke up around 4 a.m. with the oil burner going on, had had it set in the 50's .  When I got up at 6:00 it was freezing and I pushed the thermostat up to 60, and there it will stay.  Nice round of heat just finishing now.  I have that great floor register in the kitchen I can stand over and Cheerio her little 2 step stepstool with a padded mat on top sits right next to it.  We're happy girls this morning.

Onion soup is one thing I don't like, Hats.  In fact, I'm not all that fond of onions except when they're in something for just a little flavor.  Plan on making the cabbage soup today and maybe trying my hand at yet another recipe for biscuits to go with.  Hope there's another bag of flour on the cellarway shelves.  Have already taken out the plate with the leftover blueberry pancakes, and will cook up a round of bacon to go with, for breakfast.

Today is definitely a stay in day and clean this house.  I did a rush job of pick up and quick wipe down before my neighbor came up yesterday afternoon.  But it needs concentrated room to room attention.

"Play Misty for Me" didn't keep me awake last night, but all the caffeine I had had in regular coffee, regular afternoon tea, chocolate brownies, Brigham's coffee ice cream - did.  Decaf for me today, and a good night's sleep tonight.

Kargiver, I know you were kidding about writing down your creation for last night's supper, but you know - - - well, you know what I'm going to say, so I won't repeat myself, except to say I hope that notebook that's on your kitchen counter (it is, isn't it?) is filling up.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all.  Kar - wow, you are quite the chef!

TT - I have seen Play Misty For Me a couple of times (DH is a big Eastwood fan), it is pretty creepy! 

Getting ready to go to PA on Friday - DH is not coming, but I'll be back by Sunday so I won't be gone that long.

Hats - I LOVE French Onion Soup, but never make it because (like TT) my DH doesn't like onions. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to princess-cal's comment:

Good morning all.  Kar - wow, you are quite the chef!

TT - I have seen Play Misty For Me a couple of times (DH is a big Eastwood fan), it is pretty creepy! 

Getting ready to go to PA on Friday - DH is not coming, but I'll be back by Sunday so I won't be gone that long.

Hats - I LOVE French Onion Soup, but never make it because (like TT) my DH doesn't like onions. 

Yeah, starts out simply enough, and suddenly she's a stalker and psychotic.  I'll have to remember that station - when I turned the TV on for the morning news today, it was still on that channel, RETRO , and the original "Cape Fear" with a handsome Gregory Peck was on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Thanks, friends - I really enjoyed making it and it was a creation that validated my self-imposed, egocentric title of "home chef," LOL!  I know, for sure, I have got to write that one down...the purée really made it and is something you can do with any broth-based soup to thicken it without a roux and make it creamy without dairy.

Hats, your chicken, veg, orzo soup sounds like something I've made, too.  I didn't know you could eat pasta.  Since DH cannot I use farro instead.  TJ's sells a 10 minute "quick cooking" farro in a package that is soup-sized.  It's a substitue that might actually fool people; it is orzo shaped and sized.

tt, "only" a roast beef sandwich?  It sounded perfect - thinly sliced and rare.  Did you have any pickles left for it?

Prin, my family is in PA, too.  Have fun!  Why no DH?

We are going to PA for Thanksgiving this year being hosted by my aunt and uncle you "know" from my posts that mention her chiropractic and nutrition.   My cousin and family lives 25 minutes from them, and we'll be staying there.  My folks are a longer drive...2 hours, I think, but they will be there, too, and staying with uncle (Mom's brother).

How have I not seen or heard of Misty?  It sounds like a movie both DH and I would love, creepy and suspenseful.  Anything with Clint Eastwood is quality writing, too.  I hope it's in Netflix...

Another big day ahead in the kitchen.  We are celebrating Natl Cheeseburger day with Ribeye and no cheese...not exactly traditional, but DH had a craving for steak because he just picked the first of our horseradish.  It will be Beef Day here. :)  Also, he picked a lot of celery for soup, and asked for more apple crisp.  So...I better get a move on!

Have a great day, everyone!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, there was no way I could follow that diet unless I stopped doing anything else but shopping meal planning and cooking. That was not happening. 

I decided just to cut out the easy things - coffee, most dairy (milk and yogurt) and all the cruciferous veg - plus I already avoid several of the worst triggers - soy and seafood - and I feel better.  I have some blood tests scheduled and will know better next week.  No sense in going overboard based on some Internet research that may or may not be valid.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, that's good - I understand - I thought the diet you described was doctor imposed and something you had to follow to a T.  If you are doing well, that's all that matters!  Good you don't have to be so strict and can still reap the benefits of a modified diet.  DH has to be super careful or he suffers with neuralgic-like pain.  He can't get away with a thing!  :(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Such a cool night. Yesterday, I had to get up to close the window in the middle of the night. Last night, I left it closed. Oh, how I missed the fresh air. The house was cold this morning, but we are not going to start the heat just yet. It is only September. They are promising us warmer days to come. Hope they are right.
    Did you harvest everything you needed to, Kar? Was thinking of you last night, when the weather man predicted frost in your area.
    Good for you, that you used the "throw away" lobster for such a yummy soup. Btw. I would call it a bisque - Lobster Bisque - due to the creaminess of it. I do the same.  I never throw away my lobster shells or whatever. Simmer them in the broth I already made for the lobsters (with 8 lobsters one can make quite a batch,- LOL) and cook them down to about half. Then strain it all and freeze the stock in manageable portion. I use that for Newburghs, bisques etc. - even clam chowder. I just found, that a seafood place on RT. 1 - sells the bodies for just 25 cents each. What delights I can do with those.
    Glad to hear you are feeling better, Hats. Little diets improvements, can make a big difference.
    My trees in our back yard are already turning and shredding their leaves. So early. Is this a sign, we will be getting an early winter? TX sounds better an better.
    Have a good day all.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hi Kar - I'll let you know what part of PA I'm going to when I get back.  DH is going to the NASCAR race in Louden, NH on Sunday.  Plus with MIL still recovering, the dog, and DH's surgery scheduled for the day after I get back, it just seemed like a better solution for me to go solo.  DH is very nervous about it, as I am still weak, but I will be fine.  I will be meeting my brother and his family down there too, so that will be fun.  I dont' get to hang out with my niece, who I just adore, too much so I am looking forward to that as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good moring. hats, it wasn't a meeting where the teacher talks about the kids. It was just this is the schedule, this is what I expect type of thing. Kar, your dinner last night sounds great. Would be just me that would it though. DH and DS don't like shrimp.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prin, that's a long drive; good you feel up to it.  Too bad about the timing of everything.  What is DH's prognosis post-surgery?  Hoping 100%!  (You can share, of course, but I didn't actually ask where you're going in PA.)

Winter, I'm lucky DH and I like essentially the same foods.  Our food preferences vary only in how much we like our meat cooked.

Speaking of meat I better go get some for dinner tonight...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Princess, I admire you for going on this trip all by yourself. I don't think, I could do that. But then again, I have been pampered for 45 years plus. The first time, I went to visit my Cape Cod girlfriend all by myself, it was quite an ordeal for me. Afterwards, I remember telling myself, why don't you do this more often. Happy and safe trip to you.

Sorry for you, Winter, that you have such picky eaters. How do you get around cooking for them? Your son is probably too old to change his ways in a subtle way. I used to have nay-Sayers. But I would have them chop and cook w/ me, and they thought that was exciting and would eat whatever they cooked. This way I introduced a lot of food, they didn't even wanted to try. Now they eat everything. And that is good, since both of them travel a lot. Can't always be picky. A friend of ours, cut his trip to Italy short, b/c he couldn't get Mc Donald's hamburgers. It a a true and a sad story.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

DS isn't really picky, he'll try most things at least onece and has tried shrimp but didn't like it. I wouldn't cook lobster at home, since it's just me so I haven't had it out with him. DH is a meat and potatos guy. Luckily he likes pasta, etc. so it's not so bad. DS says we eat to much meat, but that's how it's going to be, as I like meat to much myself.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winters family doesn't sound so much like "picky eaters" to me, Pingo, rather just they have certain foods they don't like.   We all do.  But it's funny how as you get older, your taste buds develop or change, and things you never ate as a child, suddenly are appealing.  I'm sure my mother has many a chuckle up there when she sees some of the food combinations I put together that as a kid, I would say, "How can you eat that?" when she had them.  The baked bean sandwich still escapes me tho!  lol

Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ha, tt, the baked bean sandwich is an old Maine tradition I don't go for, either.  My great-grandmother lovvvvved them.  She made her own baked beans and white bread, of course! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, I didn't mean my comment to Winter as a negative one - just a fact. Sometimes, kids have to be guided to eat certain things. If Dad only eat meat and potatoes - that would be the choice of the kid. Just like it would be, if Dad eats rice and fish only. If mom keeps serving meat and potatoes, the child would never know, there are other things to eat.
    I am fully aware, it is not an easy task to introduce new foods to the family. I had my battles. But I do believe, that one has to try everything at least once.
    I had a wonderful pediatrician. She told me to introduce solid food to my babies as early as they could handle it. Have them eat with you at the table and eat, what you are eating - give them samples of you food. That's what I followed, and except for a few exclusions, it worked.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Sections
Shortcuts