September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: September 2013

We posted at the same time, tt. We could have run into each other. I was planning to go and get some muffin papers at the Dollar Store, but then got lazy and picked them up, while I was a Hannafords. Went there to look for the Jiffy baking mix since S&S doesn't have it. No luck. They do have the corn muffin mixes and a few others, but no baking mix a la Bisquick.
    Picked up some nice country style spareribs for tonight. They are on sale, in case you are interested. I already have leftovers for tonight from yesterday, but they were calling my name. Those w/ Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Take no time in the pressure cooker.
    Too bad about Harry, but good he has angels watching over him. I don't understand, why people want pets, if they don't take proper care of them. I am sure, he will be under your shrub anytime soon.
    Truly enjoyed my socks today. LOL
    Happy dusting!
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, S&S does have the Jiffy Biscuit Mix, just not the Jiffy cake mixes.  I saw it at the route 1 store the other day.  (Having my bracing cuppa before tackling the backroom!)

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, tt. We are going to Sears tonight to look for a DW. One of their DWs was highly recommended to us from a repair man. Will stop by S&S on Rt. 1 to look for it - the Jiffy, I mean. My Reading store doesn't carry it.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@tt,  if you and CL stop feeding the cats,  they will gradually stop coming to your homes.

They may even decide to stay closer to their real homes, it should be up the owner as to how much, what, and when to feed them.

If they are strays, contain them and call animal control to pick them up.

I'm very surprised the owner hasn't asked you to stop.

I'm sorry if my opinion annoys you.

PS: I wouldn't handle any of them without gloves, some raccoons and other wildlife that they have been mingling with, can carry the rabies virus.

I know you mean well and are trying to be nice to the cats, but it's best if you discourage them, imo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I can see a posting that says "You have chosen to ignore posts from RR39:"
    Can only guess whether her post is directed at me (for any number of posts I've made) or Pingo re gluen free flour, or Kargiver re her "teaching" - anyway, I will remain blissfully unaware -  now to the toyroom.

P.S.  Pingo, the Jiffy biscuit mix is on the bottom shelf.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good for you, tt. You are right, it was directed to you. And you would not have been happy reading it - so stay blissful unaware. I am not going to spill the beans. How are the dusting cloths working out?

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

I can see a posting that says "You have chosen to ignore posts from RR39:"
    Can only guess whether her post is directed at me (for any number of posts I've made) or Pingo re gluen free flour, or Kargiver re her "teaching" - anyway, I will remain blissfully unaware -  now to the toyroom.

P.S.  Pingo, the Jiffy biscuit mix is on the bottom shelf.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, pingo, for the encouragement re the gluten free thing.  I'm pleased with the Bob's Red Mill mix I tried first so that's a good start.  

tt, what a productive morning!  Wish we could see the outfits...I'm sure they are adorable.

It's pedicure day - I took care of my own and then clipped Gracie's nails.  Now, for a walk to smooth the edges (hers, not mine, hahaha!) and get her therapy in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Chuckled out loud reading about going for a walk to smooth out the toenail edges!  Glad you explained just who you were talking about!

Cloth is working great.  Did the desk and its shelves, and whisked over the toys, but over the week-end I'll put the plastic toys out on the back walk and give them a washing too.

Have some steak I cooked the other night but didn't eat but half, so will slice and put in spaghetti sauce and have over spaghetti tonight.  Can hardly wait. 

Oh, Pingo, if it's about me, I know the subject then, her favorite - cats.  Lawd knows I've already heard her thoughts on the subject many times before. 

Cheerio has napped the afternoon away.  I put a folded blanket on one of the couches and that's where she goes now.  Sleeps there at night too.  I on the other hand, am toastily comfortable under my heavy quilt nights.

What's up for everyone's week-end plans?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad my little tongue in cheek explanation got the chuckle I'd hoped for. ;)

So funny, I also have 1/2 a leftover steak I intend to eat for dinner.  Sounds good to have it with leftover spaghetti and sauce, but I've no such luck.  Not sure what else we'll have, but I better figure it out soon.

I was chilly last night so made a tea with ground ginger and 3 hot peppers...I was sweating by the time that was gone, lol!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I'm just finishing up my supper - a ripe pear, some sharp cheddar and crackers.  Your steaks sound so good. Maybe I should make some burgers on the grill tomorrow before grilling weather is over.

Not much planned for this weekend, just one party, so we'll see what comes up!  I wish my bulbs had arrived in the mail - it would be a good weekend to plant them.  Maybe I will go and see what else I can find to plant - I have a gift certificate to a local nursery.  I've been looking at Montauk daisies!  Any of you grow them?

Do you guys like thrift stores?  I love them.  I just bought a leopard print jacket - from Talbots - the pockets haven't even been unsewn - it may never have been worn!  $5.00.  And a cream colored throw that matches a chair perfectly - $3.50!  Don't you just love a bargain?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I do love consignment shops and thrift stores, too!  Great finds.

i think we grow those daisies...are these the ones?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

They bloom later than regular daisies so probably, yes, because I see your Echinachea is blooming too...do you find they are easy to grow?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

We have the cone flowers (ecinachea) both out front along the street, and in back.  G.T. threw some plants in one year from his house, and they come up every year and multiply without any extra attention.  The butterflies like them.

We don't have too many thrift stores around here, I don't think, except a nice little teeny one in Mblhd.  My friend and I always go in and poke when we eat at theThree Cod.  There is the Salvation Army out on Route 1.  Once a year or so I like to poke in their glassware/dish section.

Plan on finishing up the toyroom with blinds and window washing today, and getting the kids' desks moved back in.  My hamper is overflowing too, so I'll be running up and down stairs in between, catching up on the towels/sheets and other stuff in there.  Want to get some kind of goodies baked, in case of any company.  Have nothing in the freezer in the way of coffee cakes.  -  Let's see what on that list I actually accomplish today!

Just fed Cheerio, and by habit, kept looking out the kitchen window for long black legs stretching out from under my shrub, with a "good morning" meow.  Hope they at least keep him in nights from now on.

Enjoy your party this week-end, Hats.  Going to be beautiful weather, I think.  I've got to get my breakfast and get moving, not sit at this computer with emails and MahJong - well, maybe just 2 games before I get started -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, hats, those bloom after the first (smaller and weaker) daisies are past.  They like "bad" soil like most perennials.  DH mulches the perennial gardens.  That's it.  He weed wacks them after they go by in the late Fall.  They are hearty, easy to grow, and multiply prolifically...as far as I can tell; I'm not the gardener.

We are both doing seasonal cleaning today, tt - I just finished giving the living room it's deep cleaning.  

And, dh asked me to make apple sauce today so that will be this afternoon's project.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sounds like you have an ambitious list of to-dos today, tt. That leaking toyroom, has really taken up a lot of you time. Hopefully, when you finish w/ the dust, you will be done for good. Today would be a nice day to take the plastic toys outside to be hosed off (I didn't see that on your list - LOL).
    Didn't get to go to Sear's last night. DH got an emergency call, he needed to take care of. It is on the agenda this afternoon as is TriCity Sales.
    DH left very early this morning, but I have kept busy. Took a set of banana muffins out of the oven and continued with another banana bread. The one I made the other day to take to a friend, is already gone. I should have known better. When I take the banana bread out of the oven I am going to stick in a ryebread w/ caraway seeds. It is raising right now. TJ's used to carry the hard, dark, sour ryebread we love in Europe, but it has become more and more difficult to get. So I dug up an old baking book of my mother's, and decided to try to make my own. I did it once a long time ago, and I remember, it came out well. But there is a lot involved doing it. First off it is a very sticky dough, so it is almost impossible to kneed it by hand. With my KitchenAid mixer, it was much easier. Secondly, one has to wrap it in a tea towel as soon as it comes out of the oven, put it in a plastic bag and freeze it. That gives it that special texture, we love.
    Have leftovers of those delicious ribs, we had last night. They were so large and meaty, that two of them was more than plenty for each of us.  Lunch will be stuffed portabella mushrooms.
    When is Pumpkins birthday party? Sounds like you are all set to go.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, did you watch the Sharks last night? Was thinking of you. There was a segment with 3 ladies doing Mango Preserves. All the sharks loved it, but didn't give them any funds. They found it was too expensive ($7.99 a jar) and too common. Even though it was Mango, it was still a preserve.

My sister had those daisies in her yard, and if I remember correctly, when they got up in the spring, she cut the plants in half. This would get them bushier w/ more flowers. Otherwise they would just grow and grow and get very leggy. And yes, come late fall, she cut them to the ground and mulched them. It's a beautiful plant - one of my favorites.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Plastic toys are already hosed down and in the grass drying.  Some of the bigger ones have paper sections, so those will have to be hand wiped down.  Wash is in, hot orange coffee cake has been made and altho I tried not to cut into it - - - - well, you know the rest.  Next are the blinds to be washed, and then the windows.  Have been waiting for the sun to move around from that window before I blind myself washing the slats.

One of my sons called and his FIL who lives with them, has been taken to the hospital.  He's in his 80's, doesn't take care of himself, and has been in ER several times this summer.  They have admitted him this time, so hope they do keep him there for a few days at least.  A very difficult patient, both in the hospital and out.

Pingo, that bread sounds delicious.  Makes me think of my Lithuanian neighbor's hard dark bread ends she used to give me when I was a kid.

It's so nice out, glad for the excuse to run in and out.  Quiet on the street today, not even many joggers.  Everyone is probably doing their own thing around their homes before the cold weather comes.  Did see a van with automatic sprinkler system signage, slow down to a stop in front of my lawn this morning - next will probably be a call pushing for having that installed - no thank you.  Cheerio is right at my feet, in the patch of sun on the floor, washing up.  She loves lying on the hot tile with the sun on and all around her.

Back to my cleaning.  Let me know how the bread comes out, Pingo.  I'm salivating!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I won't be able to tell you about the bread, tt, until after I take it out of the freezer and defrost it. Defrosting takes almost a day, since it is very dense. Those ends are the best. We always fought for them. With a thick layer of butter and a slice of creamy cheese. OH, heaven! I think your Lithuanian neighbor and I love the same bread. 
    If it comes out well, I may make another one, slice it (after first freeze and defrosting) and freeze and save it for our next smorgas board. You can't have pickled herring - or smorgas board for that matter - without it. Can always take it to TX for Christmas.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Stop!  I'm drooling, and it isn't even sweet!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well,  I ditched the buying flowers idea, but I did get to Home Depot.  Didn't get what I wanted because I may change my strategy for that project. I picked up a few more paint chips, though - one can always dream.

I'm glad that the daisies are easy and I will keep them in mind; maybe I'll see how the daffodils come on before I plant anything else.

But, we went to the free home show at the Shriners' Auditorium in Wilmington and I bought one of those steam floor cleaners that you use, Kar, so....in a couple of weeks I may use it, too!  Lots of dirty floors around here and I am getting too old to haul buckets and mops around.  And we stopped at the "FIND MASS MONEY" booth and both of us are getting a few $$ back from forgotten rebates/checks so it was a win!  Only took us an hour to go around but it was fun to look at things.

Rye bread is my absolute favorite bread. DD used to call it "Mummy toast."  YUMM.  I love pumpernickel bagels with seeds.  I love anything with seeds, actually, poppy, sesame and especially caraway seeds.  Pingo, let's all get together for banana muffins and bread tomorrow! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I can contribute my hot orange coffee cake I made today.

Taking a lot of sit down breaks - brought the bucket of hot water in and the mop - now I need someone to do the manual labor!  No volunteers?  Then I guess it's me.

Home show was a fun thing to walk through, Hats.  And you probably got your entry fee back with your cash find.

ETA:  Oh, I see, it was "free" - so you came out  of there with found money, that's not a bad deal.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, tt it was free except for what we paid for the steam floor cleaner!  I'll let you know how that goes...if it works well, TT, you should ask for one for XMAS!  I think Kar loves hers...supposed to clean tile, wood, carpet and lino!

It's a lovely day out there.  Pray for next weekend to be nice too.  I'm going to NH to camp...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Got about 2 mintues before I have to finish the applesauce I started at 3.  It's the best I've ever had, though, so worth the effort.  Processed 9 lbs of apples and got 5 pints to can and 1/2 a pint to eat now (you can't safely can any that doesn't fill the jar...darn, lol).

pingo, yes, we watched shark tank - they will do excellent for having been on there even though they didn't get help, per se.  we record st and watch it Sat mornings.

indeed, I still lovvvvve my steam floor cleaner.  Easy.  I use it to sanitize my kitchen mat and "just" clean the wood and tile floors.

oh, there's the timer.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Goodness it's foggy this morning! And quiet.  It will burn off though.  Hard to believe that it's almost October - the summer seems to have gone in a flash.  Now it's pumpkin spice everything time.  Got a new recipe to try from Pinterest; if it works out I will let you know.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

indeed, hard to believe, but DH is in his Fall panic, even moreso this year because he's got a huge project to complete before the weather turns ugly - patching the exterior paint of the house.  It got damaged because the gutters were not installed properly (seems like EVERYTHING someone else did on this house got messed up), and he didn't realize it until the paint started showing signs of a big problem.  (You may remember he's been working on the gutters, fixing that issue; that was what he was doing while Gracie watched from the bottom of the ladder.)

all 5 canned pints of applesauce sealed properly.  I was hoping for one failure so we would have to eat it right away, lol.  I used half the sugar the recipe suggested (it is safe to play with the amount from none to "to taste"), and it tastes like apple pie filling - very good, but DH asked for 1/2 next time.  No problem, I agree it will be better.

speaking of thrift and consignment shops I'd like to make a trek into Boston and shop the big ones...I need all new Fall and Winter clothes.  

I haven't gotten my rings sized yet, but hoping to plan a "bundle" lunch East, maybe a clothes shopping trip, too.

have a great Sunday, everyone