September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: September 2013

Good morning,
    Plumber here right now to look at my DW - DH couldn't fix it.
    Sorry to learn about puppy's seizures, November. Hope it was just this one time. It must have been so frightening.
    Winter, those logos look great. I like the first one the best too. Will be interesting to see, what the rest of the students come up with.
    I tried to make turkey sausage patties once. It was not a success. No one liked them. They were very dry. Maybe b/c I used turkey. That's what my recipe called for. I always look for the chicken kielbasas, when I shop. Will try to pull out the recipe and use ground chicken instead.
    Hope BDC likes me better today, so I can post this.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Logos came out nicely, Winter....good luck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks everyone.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WOW, Winter, those are awesome!  I like the watering can the best; the words look like water sprinkling out giving it motion.  

tt, I used 1 lb of ground chicken, 2 eggs beaten with a couple of tablespoons of water, seasoning salt (any brand would do), dried Italian herb mix (another standby, not sure exactly what's in it), and pepper.  After cooking I realized I'd added too much salt and fixed it nicely with a little maple syrup (not enough to be sweet, just to take the saltiness down a notch).  I didn't try to make patties, just cooked it loosely and kept the pieces about 1/2".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, all but the maple syrup - I have some Italian spice mix for dipping oil, and that probably would be good.  I've put ground chicken on my list for next week.  I would scramble it like beef for American Chop Suey.  Maybe I'll even try one of those spaghetti squashes to serve it over.  No microwave, so how long do you think you would bake (?) one of those split in half for doneness? 

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You won't need maple syrup if you aren't as heavy handed on the salt, lol, that's my secret fix for that mistake.

Spaghetti squash is a bit of an acquired taste and texture to replace spaghetti.  It's best to think of it as something totally different, not as mock spaghetti, that does well with things one ordinarily puts on spaghetti.  It also requires, imo, very hearty and flavorful (and a bit saltier) sauce.  Unlike pasta that does well with just butter or a light white sauce, spagetti squash would be terrible dressed so lightly.

To cook, you want to get as much water out as possible so I cut it in half to let more steam escape.  In order for the squash to be stringly like spaghetti (the goal), you want to cook it until it is just done, not cooked to mush.  For an average sized squash cut in half, it should take about an hour.  It's done when you can pierce it with a skewer or fork without much resistance (that is even as you push through, not getting harder the further into the flesh you go).  Water should be dripping out on the roasting pan and the skin a little brown or wrinkly.  

To turn into "spaghetti," hold the squash in a towel in one hand, and pull the strings away with a fork, separating them as much as you can.  Start with the inner portion and work toward the skin. Do NOT take a big spoon and scoop it out like regular squash or you'll end up with a solid mass of squash that does not even resemble spaghetti, lol.

No need to bother scooping out seeds before cooking; they scoop out so easily afterwards.  

ETA:  I added to the directions a bit in the original post.

Oh, and the oven should be at 375.

Sigh, one more thing, use a soup spoon to scrape out the seed area before using the fork to fluff out the strings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for the chicken sausage recipe, Kar. The turkey one did not have eggs. Will look for ground chicken tonight - and proceed.
    Spaghetti Squash was not a success in our house. tt, think of it as squash. It is kind of blah tasting. The only resemblance w/ spaghetti it has, is the strings. Kar is right. Make sure you use a pungent tasting sauce and add more salt, than you normally would.  If you love squash, you may like it.
    Hot, hot, hot out. Had to go to the PO and UPS, before I went to the office. Leftover from the boys for me to take care of. Picked the worst day to run errands, and lugging around large boxes. But now they are gone.
    Nice a cool here at the moment. Just wait until the afternoon, when the sun gets on my side of the building. Planning to leave early.
    Stay cool everyone!
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, spaghetti squash is an acquired taste, and if it is overcooked it becomes mushy.  I'll post a couple of photos later today of how it should look after it's cooked and being pulled into strands.

I hope you guys like my "lazy" sausage. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I missed the eggs first time I read it.  I'll just add the seasonings and do the scramble.  Come to think of it I have a birds nest recipe that uses the ground chicken and sauce.  I'll have to double check and see what it had for taste buds tho.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

The lazy sausage sounds delish. 

Another vote for the first one, Winter - I like the black and white version.

Good news from the vet - all tests back normal, except for elevated blood pressure.  She is attributing that to the stress of the seizure, so he'll have to have it checked in a few days.  Had a good night last night with no episodes.  I kept him very close by just to be sure.  I hope that is the end of it.  Thx for sharing about Amber, Amber.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The eggs definitely aren't necessary; it's really just ground meat and sausage herbs and spices.  Oh, I also added powdered garlic.  You get the idea. :)

That's great, Nov.  I bet Gracie's blood pressure is up every time we go to the vet she gets SO excited.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, what was the verdict on the dishwasher?

I am revelling in the air conditioning of the office today....no sun here!  Some advantages to being in the basement.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@November, sometimes seizures are related to food allergies, my dog with allergies, environmental and food, does well on Wellness Simple, dry, fish (chicken/egg is a common allergen).
    If your dog is over 7,  he is considered a senior, I had another dog dx with idiopathic epilepsy (shows up at about age 1-2) he did well on a low dose of phenobarbitol, the general rule of thumb is,  if they have more than 1 seizure per month, start meds.

Exercise, at least 2 one mile walks per day helps to keep seizures at bay too.

Also, did he recently have a flea/tick preventative applied?  Heartworm pill? Was he exposed to a lawn that was chemically treated?  Recent vaccinations?   

Just some things to keep an eye on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wish there were a way to say to the advertisers that I bought the darned stove so there's no need to keep bombarding me with those ads.  It's not like I'm about to buy another one!

DH is planning to be home early tonight.  Particularly sweet after his getting home so late last night.  Dinner is ready - we didn't eat it last night so all I have to do is reheat. Oh, shoot, I forgot the photo I promised...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Kargiver.  I think I tried that years and years ago.  Seems as tho with a good spicey sauce on it it would be good and a good alternative to spaghetti.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A pic is worth a thousand words (which I think I tried using above, lol).  Yes, the more flavorful the sauce and the drier the squash (cooked until just tender) the better.  Hence my mistakenly overdoing the salt in the meat - I was thinking of the squash.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Your squash looks yummy, Kar. And it is definitely a lot healthier than pasta. It's a while ago, I made it. Will try it again with a more flavorful sauce.
    Nov, good to hear all he tests came back normal. So hopefully it was just this one time.
    Hats, the verdict on my DW is, that Miele is coming tmw. morning. The plumber did what he could (opened the water intake valve under the sink, DH didn't have the right tools for it), and it was clean as a whistle. They moved the entire DW out and looked at the back, but it is completely enclosed. DH called Miele, and they told him if water had gone inside the panel, that could give he blinking light. DH didn't want to fool around w/ the electronics. So the Mieleman is coming tmw. morning.  But guess what? DH had to give him a credit card number, or he wouldn't come. This I have never heard of. I used to get a bill, which I paid before they left.
    I am on my way out. Working little late. DH left a while ago for a hearing, so he won't be home for dinner. I will stop for the ground chicken on my way home, and probably have some of that for dinner. Have a good evening. Hope you can sleep ok tonight in this heat and humidity.

what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Too bad your dishwasher problem couldn't have been taken are of today, Pingo, but better to wait and let the mfg. tech come out and fix it.

Hot and humid, is right.  Just shut the A/C  off for a bit and try opening the doors for a cross breeze.  Doesn't seem to have cooled down much.  Didn't get out today, so definitely have to get out tomorrow for a couple of errands.

Hope your supper was well received tonight, Kargiver.  I thawed out some amer chop suey and had that.

Cart with the little boy and parents just went by.  He sits taller and taller in that cart.  So cute.

OK, I guess I'm off for the night.  Millionaire Listings of LA is on tonight.  Hope I don't fall asleep waiting for it!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo - I wasn't trying to get you to try it again, but if you do I hope it becomes well loved this time.  Like you say, and only 45 calories per cup (vs 220 for spaghetti), you can really stuff yourself for no damage.  And, the fiber and vitamins, too!  

Water keeps seeping out of the cooked squash; just drain it off like you could for whey on yogurt between servings.

Pingo, what a pain re the dishwasher.  I suppose the meileman wants to ensure he can get paid by putting a hold on a minimum amount (like hotels do when you make a reservation).  Hopefully, he can fix it in short order for minimal cost.

DH loved his dinner, thanks, tt.  Served the squash and meat sauce with a couple of pieces of homemade spelt toast.  He was happy.  :)

Amer chop suey sounds good, too, and easy, too, thawing a serving...nice for a hot night to not heat up the kitchen.

Everybody stay cool!  We're all opened up here hoping it cools down soon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

S&S had no ground chicken. I often think of buying the  meat grinder that attach to my Kitchen Aid, so I can make my own. But then again, I am not 40 like a lot of you girls. And I am trying to downsize. So my sausages went out the window tonight.
    Instead, I had leftover Smorgas board. Marinated herrings and a small piece of Canadian ham w/ Italian salad. Both on rye bread. "Italian Salad" is finely diced carrots cooked (2 - 3 minutes) until just crisp and Petite Peas mixed w/ a bit of mayo.  Red, white and green - thus Italian.
    Dessert was a couple of Italian Macaroons, DH picked up from a bakery near one of his job sites.
    Have no idea when DH will come home, so I am going to call it a day and pick up my book and go to bed and read. I have two actually, I switch in btw. One is one I have a hard time to chew myself through. The other one is easy reading. I think I will choose the latter.
    Enjoy your evening.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd not want to have to clean a meat grinder...  Sounds like a fun dinner, Pingo.  Enjoy your lighter book, and hopefully DH will be home soon.

DH got home at 5:30 - better than last night when he got home around this time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

After opening up and turning the backwards fan on, we managed to pull in air 1 degree hotter than it already was to 81.  Ugh!!  Discovered that mistake and closed up and put the A/C on.  Hoping everyone managed to sleep ok last night, what a soupy, hot one!

not much on the docket today that I know of. up early making toast and coffee because DH had to leave an hour earlier than usual, about 20 min ago.

nice to be able to let Gracie out by herself, again.

ah, there's my toast!  Have a great day, everyone

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

It was a steamer last night.   Didn't make it up to watch my show, just gave up with the heat and my sleepy eyes and went to bed.  Went from open window to A/C to A/C off, back on again, and my dreams!  Vivid.  I was in a suit and HIGH heels, in a cafeteria/bank/sidewalk with teeny kittens.  My former boss was sitting there eating a sub.  Not a restful night at all, and the atmospheric change started up those old pains again.  Glad to get (not hop) out of bed a little after 6:00 this morning.  Something had been in my little pond, and not too long ago.  Prints that looked like a jack rabbits coming out of it and going down the back walk to the property edge, and then up into the grass.  I'm thinking whatever it was fell in by the amount of the water left with each print.  Nothing in there that I know, haven't even seen any of the usual frogs.

Trash is out, and out with it went Cheerio.  The inside door wasn't quite pulled to, and when I opened the storm door, out she ran.  Well, ran down to the bottom stair, never quite stepped off.  The shaking of her treat jar coaxed her back in.  I think she just would have gone around the house anyway.  If she could talk, I think she would tell you there were some wonderful smells down there!

Going to go around and open up the other windows, cool air coming in this one, and check out back for the cats.  Hope we all have a cooler day today.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. What vivid dreams tt. It was just hot last night, think it took the a/c a while to get going. Glad Cheerio came right back in. I'm not sure Yoda would. Did you see Harry or Miss Fluffy?
    I have a half day today as DS has his yearly checkup after his half day of school.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar