September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: September 2013

Kar, I bought ground chicken breast ($5.99/lbs). I should have bought just the ground chicken ($1.99/lbs) - my mistake. Anyway, it came out very nice at the end. Do try to add the fennel seeds the next time, it does give it a more sausage like taste.
    Rt. 128 up here is crazy at all times. Yesterday, after waiting for the Mieleman, I went to the office around 1:30, and Rt. 128 was bumper to bumper. Oh, that reminds me, I don't have a "free" weekend after all. Have to go DW shopping. Have to see, what is out there. DH is leaning towards to just getting it fixed. We are seriously thinking of selling this house w/i a year or two. Why spend 3 times plus more for a new DW?
    With our new GD coming, TX is really pulling. Good retirement place; so much cheaper to live there. DS has been looking for a house to buy for us there for some time. As we are getting older, it would be nice to stay close to at least one of our sons.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, try to look into "The Learning Center" next to TJ's on Rt. 1. The Dollar Store is next door too. I am w/ SS. You would be upset at yourself, if you don't go. Could you possibly catch a ride from one of your sons up here?
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Very busy morning at work today. Today I am officially the mother of a teenager, when did that happen?? Sorry about your DW Pingo. tt, I enjoyed hearing about you and G.T.'s dreams, how vivid. 

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The lower fat ground meat choices are definitely better for you, but I always get the fattier ones for taste and texture.  Probably that is surprising coming from the girl who bakes with organic sprouted spelt, lol. :)

If it's $600 to fix it, it would really only be double that (still expensive, I understand) to replace it, and truly, people don't want old appliances in the kitchen.  They will see them as problems waiting to happen.  I would definitely replace it especially given your plan to sell the house, not in spiof itf it.

What an exciting contemplation to move to TX!  Our retired neighbors are considering the same thing, moving to San Diego possibly next year to be with their kids and grandkids.  I encouraged them, too - why not?!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Texas is a big move from all the friends I'm sure you've made around here, Pingo, not excluding us here on Chat!  Such a change in the seasons, and having lived in ElPaso for almost a year, I can tell you it gets HOT there.  You have to be prepared to live in A/C most of the year.  But, the pull of being close to one of your sons, plus that new GD coming, as you say, may outweigh any negativities.  I'm no one to talk, because all 4 of mine are here in MA.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have made many moves with dramatically different climates from Abbot, Maine to Tampa, FL.  I was young, of course, but the weather was something I easily adapted to; it was proximity to family that was the most important to me.  I understand weather impacts different people more or less, though.

Winter, happy 13th birthday to DS!!!  I remembered that day well, it was an exciting birthday for sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I missed the seasons, the rolling hills, the green mountains, and I was very young at the time, just a babe compared to now!

Ran out and while I didn't find a present, I did find a card.  The Learning Store is all educational stuff, Pingo, I've bought a few things in there, but this little miss wants something completely toyful.  Thanks for the suggestion, but I've a couple of ideas in mind, once I have my salad (I'm starving) and see Y&R.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

salad sounds like a good lunch tt. How old is the child you are buying for?

- Darth Vadar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's Lilly, she'll be 7 and is in the first grade.  Had to run in T.J.'s for some more treats for Cheerio, so did walk down to the Learning Center and got her a game - It's like pop up.  You take turns each fitting a piece you pick up in the right indentation before the board pops up and spills them all.  Her bro and older sis will get a kick out of that too - I think.  Had taken the margarine out to soften, planning to make sugar cookies, but it is STEAMY out now and the house felt so nice and cool when I walked back in - don't know that I'll do that.  Hey, it's enough that I've eased myself into the idea of driving out there tomorrow.  They're lucky -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hi all, the finger is healing but still a little sore when I do too much computing; and I have been very busy.   TGIF! 

Love your grass, TT, so attractive. 

Have to finish my book now - it's due back at the library tomorrow.

Have a good weekend, all of you who post from work, and I'll hope to be back next week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like a fun toy/game, tt.

Hats, it's amazing how long finger cuts hurt; I do it enough in the kitchen to know!  Enjoy the rest of your book.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just sent an email to DIL saying not to hold up any festivities for me that I would be out at some point in the afternoon - phone rings - roofer saying he will be here at 9:00 tomorrow to fix the closet and repaint the ceiling.  Figures he should be out of here by 1:00.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think Lily will like your game. DS was tough to buy for this year. Got him the sneakers and an XBox game and picked up a few clothes at Kohls. He has a family party tonight then he and 7 friends are going to play mini golf Sunday with pizza and cake at the house after. 

- Darth Vadar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Fun celebrations for your son's birthday, Winter.  The older they get, the harder to both buy gifts, and plan a fun day for them.  What you have planned sounds perfect.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks tt, though I can't take the credit for the mini golf. That was his idea. He invited 3 boys and 4 girls. 

- Darth Vadar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be headed out soon, have a good night everyone.

- Darth Vadar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Not to insult anyone's intelligence...but vivid dreams and nightmares are a side effect of many medications, including over the counter and herbal.  Alcohol can also have has this effect.
    A lot of people can't take Trazadone as a sleep med for this reason.

O...piates
    B...arbituates
    N...arcotics

Hmmm. I always knew something was amiss in this forum. Never quite figured it out before, but it's all making sense to me now

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, Robin. Great info as usual

For the record, I personally do not take drugs of any kind (not even aspirin). Nor do I drink alcohol (especially not beer - Blech!!)

I sleep soundly however, and my dream state is healthy/normal IMO

I do have this one recurring nightmare though in which I am drowning in a poisoned vat of watery apple crisp while a shadowy figure looks on...a short, roly-poly woman dressed in a hazmat suit...scolding me in a way a mother would scold a misbehaving youngster

Dont know what to make of it. My friend the shrink thinks it might be Freudian. Not sure I buy it though

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Ache - good one. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Lawd.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning,

Cool morning but I sleep so good in this weather. Having coffee and waiting for Peapod then running to the square to do errands. No plans other than that and housework and laundry. I had so much fun last night. I just love Atlantic Fish. Great atmosphere, food and bartenders. We sat at the bar and did appetizers with cocktails. I had my usual little necks and steamers. Delicious! When the bartender asked what we were toasting to and I told him my deceased brothers 60th birthday, he bought us a round of shots and then all the bar raised a toast to him. I almost cried it was so touching. But great time and he would have loved it : )

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi Ache : )

I see you haven't lost your humor. lol!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Hold it! Moving to TX is only in the think-tank. May never happen. Was hoping other son would have settled in CA. That would have been a better choice, weather wise. I have visited TX, when it was 111 out. That is HOT. But it is not humid, so in the shade it is really not bad. You can't stay out and do gardening for an hour, that's for sure. And during the daytime, you hop from one A/C to the next A/C. But the evenings are just lovely. You can sit outside under the stars until late at night.
    TT, you got a nice gift for Lilly. I am sure she will like it. I like the Learning Center. Their stuff is well made and educatinal in a fun way. It is overcast out. Are we going to have rain? Hope you will avoid it during your trip to Newton. Your roofer must be there now. Hope for you it will be the last you see of him.
    First weekend in a very long time, we don't have visitors or commitments back to back. DH already left for work and later a tennis game, and I am going to do a couple loads of laundry and putter around w/ my plants. They have been neglected for a while. Watered yes, but pruning and fertilizing is on the docket today. This afternoon we may go browsing for a DW. DH is still insisting, that he wants to open the sick one and see if he can fix it somehow. I think it is partly curiosity and partly his male ego, that is getting the better of him. He says, as we probably will have to get a new one anyway, it won't hurt to break it completely - LOL.
    Have a good day. I will be around.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Just finished moving what I could of toyroom stuff into this room to make it easier for him painting the ceiling.

Did make the cookies after supper last night and when I took the cover off the container this morning, I was pleased with what I saw - colorful sugar sprinkles on cats, bats, pumpkins, ghosts and her favorite, butterflies.  The little kids will like them.  I too, hope I don't hit rain coming or going on 128, Pingo.  Hate the splash up from SUVs onto my little Nissan.  When I emailed my son and DIL about delay in getting there, my son said Lilly's mom had had a tooth pulled yesterday and was in bed (?).  Told him to be sure and give me a call if plans for today changed.

So, we have you all packed and moved in among the cactus and Texas tortoises!  I remember those crawling through our yard.  Barren waste in ElPaso at least back in those days, and I'd be hanging clothes out on the line and one of those would come  crawling through, headed where, I don't know.  No water in the direction he was headed.  Anyway, you shouldn't mention just "thoughts" here, because we, at least me, take it as a definite!  Glad it's not in the actual planning stages as yet.

Have to get back to my furniture moving.

P.S.  If I'd thought of it, I would have made a big dish of my apple crisp (tongue in cheek), to bring - tho my DIL makes a mean one herself.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Well, tt, it is in the serious think-tank. Haven't seen the TX tortoises. It is the scorpions and the snakes, that I am afraid of. Plenty of them on their ranch. We don't wear cowboy boots, like the Texans do - at least at the ranch. If we ever moved there, that would be the first thing, I would make sure to buy. The cactus are nice. Our DIL makes a lovely Cactus-Pear Jelly from them.

Went on the internet to look up, how to repair a Miele DW. One problem could be, and I truly think that is what it is, that the pump get stuck. You need a special tool to free the pump. Miele will send it to you, if you ask them. Already send in a request. If that is what it is, I am going to get back my $110, the Mieleman wanted just to come out and take a look. Fortunately I paid him by Amex (always do in a case like this) - and Amex are good at supporting the customer, if they feel they were wrongly charged. This guy must have had that special tool, and he didn't even try. Argh!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl, what an evening; I choked up, too, at the bartender's thoughtfulness.  Your brother would be pleased. :)

tt, she's in bed due to having a tooth pulled yesterday?  I hope she feels better soon and the party is on.  GL on 128.  Is the ceiling paint the last of the water repair?  We've had enough rain to test it so all must be well.  

Seriously, Pingo, he HAD it on him and didn't try?  Argh!!  Good detective work on your part.

As for your potential move, I think it would be so great - near dear family, yes, hot days, but plenty of A/C and cool, comfortable evenings.  We can't enjoy the outdoors here very many months out of the year, either, due to the cold. And, how many weeks out of the year can we eat and visit comfortably outside after dark? When I lived in FL there were snakes and scorpions, too...never had a problem.  I'd never stay put 1000s of miles from family through retirement just for the weather's sake especially when the climate where I was is arguably not ideal for very much of the year.

Made French toast this morning with 1/2 of the last of 3 loaves of bread I made.  Delicious!  DH admitted he ate too much and felt stuffed, but declared it was worth it.

now, he's out with Gracie doing pre-weekend warrior chores in the pickup.  She loves her rides with Daddy.

I suppose I should be showered and dressed when they return...feeling lazy today.

Sections
Shortcuts