September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: September 2013

Well, the disappearing post gremlin got me! 

Rama, I love Jiffy mixes! That's what my Mom used and I do too!  Their baking mix is 1/2 the price of Bisquick and I think it is better. Happy Birthday, Mom, wherever you are....

The best corn muffins ever are one box of their corn muffin mix, one box of their golden yellow cake mix, add water/milk/oil as directed on each box, and you will have the most delicious, silky textured corn bread or muffins.  Especially good for kids who might not like the gritty texture that straight corn muffins may have.

And the small size means that you can celebrate without so many tempting leftovers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, I have seen the Jiffy corn muffin mix and used it a couple of times. But I have never noticed the yellow cake mix. Does it come in one of those small blue boxes? Or is it in a larger box - like the Bisquick? Since I mostly have made stuff from scratch, I have never looked for it. But for just the two of us the small mixes work out well. As I have mentioned here before, DH is not one for leftovers.
    TJ's also have a great corn bread mix. It is very silky and not gritty as you mentioned.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, S&S doesn't carry the Jiffy cake mixes, I don't know about Hannaford's and M.B.  I always used to keep the yellow cake mixes on the shelf.  So good for a quick batch of cupcakes or a loaf cake.  I'm not a corn bread fan, so haven't tried that one.

Some headway made on the toyroom, one bookcase done, and a chest of drawers cleared off (vases I have nowhere else to store and want to keep) done.  My desk needs doing, but I'm not in the mood for that right now.  And, there are all the old toys.  Trying to talk myself into wiping off the blinds so I can move the 2 kids' desks back in underneath.  It's difficult stuff to remove, just sort of moves along with the cloth from one place to the next.  think I need one of those cloths that everything sticks to.  My oldest son called this afternoon and talked quite a while.  I was glad of the respite. 

Cheerio has stayed awake all day, following me around.  Looked out on a funny sight a few minutes ago.  I had left Fluff's plate with the kibble she didn't eat out on the walk, and there must have been 15 starlings dancing on and around the plate, eating it up!

Strange not to see postings from Kargiver for 2 days now.  Yesterday I thought she probably had a migraine, and today I knew the chiropractor, but she must have met up with her friend after.  Hope everything's alright at their household.

4:12, still time to do a little more in there, as long as I pick a small job -

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The jiffy mixes are all (except for the baking mix) half the size of the standard mixes.  They make the equivalent of one layer or 6 muffins/cupcakes.  That's why they are perfect for small families.  Also they are perfect for a quick apple cake, pineapple upside down, etc in an 8" or 9" square or round pan.

Market Basket always has the cornbread and the larger ones have the golden yellow.  Roche Bros has them too.  Before my MB was upgraded I had to go to RB for them.

In response to pingo's comment:

Hats, I have seen the Jiffy corn muffin mix and used it a couple of times. But I have never noticed the yellow cake mix. Does it come in one of those small blue boxes? Or is it in a larger box - like the Bisquick? Since I mostly have made stuff from scratch, I have never looked for it. But for just the two of us the small mixes work out well. As I have mentioned here before, DH is not one for leftovers.
    TJ's also have a great corn bread mix. It is very silky and not gritty as you mentioned.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks ladies, I will now look for them. I usually shop at S&S, so no wonder, I haven't seen them. 
    Just came back from Whole Foods. The teller and I both cracked up. I had bought items, she had never heard of and didn't know what was. Okra, Guava and shallots. So I had to tell her how to use them and help her find the sku numbers. We both had a laugh about that. She was an older friendly person. She thanked me for the lessons. I went there to pick up some fresh caught cod filet. We got it once from there, and it was fantastic. 
    tt, you will not regret spending money for those Swiffers. S&S sells them, but you may be able to get them for less somewhere else. I bought ours in Costco, but they come in triple packages and I certainly hope, you don't need that many.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Pingo.  I went back and reread your post and noted that you said the "floor" swiffers.  That's what I need, something the dust will cling to.  I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Good supper of potato pancakes with sour cream, and home made cole slaw.  Missing my sweets to finish it off.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

As for Ache's post, I don't even know what that's for, no sound, and I've no idea what it portrays - see it's HBO and I don't have that anyway.  -  No need to explain if you're reading, Ache.

You have many talents, trumpet, but one of them apparently is not lip reading

PS Stop watching that "Housewives" program. It is gross/vulgar and teaches you bad words

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I missed dinner so I am having a Brownie with Caramel Delight ice cream Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

A brownie with caramel topping is right  up my alley.  I've a recipe for peanut butter chocolate brownies that I used jar caramel topping in place of their part of the recipe for caramel topping.  Just added a little conf. sugar to it, I believe.  I'll have to look it up, as soon as I get to the store and get another bag of flour, thinking of making another tray.  think it came from AllRecipes if anyone is interested.

Chilly morning, but having the oil go on during the night makes it a little more comfortable when I step out of bed.  Heading out today, and made plans for Thursday to go to lunch with my cousin.  Such beautiful weather, don't want it to get away from me and not be out to enjoy it.

Kargiver, I hope there is a post from you when mine comes up - where are you?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all!

Sorry to be mia - things really got away from me when DH surprised me yesterday and today and stayed home.  We've been out straight with the produce given we've had 3 frosts.  I had a cable internet problem for awhile, too.  forgive me - I've been thinking of you.

my walking friend will be here in 30 minutes, but I wanted to pop in and say hi quickly before I got dressed...for Winter!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Sorry I'm late. Been busy at work and we are in the mist of buying a car. Had a deal struck Sunday and then yesterday it fell apart, so found same car, color and more options for less in NH, so we'll both be taking a half day tomorrow and we will purchase it. I didn't know Jiffy made cake mix, I'll have to look for that. I need to get a floor swiffer too, Yoda is pulling on a rug and these rug fuzzies are driving me mad!

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning, had a bad night with my bursitis. Couldn't find a way to lay down w/o it hurting. So DH got up early and let me sleep in, when I finally did go to sleep. I have a physical on Monday, and we will have a sincere discussion, how to proceed from here.
    Glad to hear from you, Kar. You know, how it is. When some of the "regulars" miss checking in, we are all worried. I am sure you and farmer Kargiver must have had your hands full, with the night frost out there. Hope nothing got spoiled.
    Hope you will make improvements in your dust situation with the Swiffers, tt. I truly don't envy you. It is a lot of labor, one don't want. But I hope your ceiling and the leaks are now fixed for good, so you don't have to go through this ordeal again.
    Didn't go to the office yesterday, so I must today. An easier week, as I don't have payroll to deal with this week. But I always have a lot of catching up to do.
    Have a nice day everyone. Was shocked to see the low temperatures this morning.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, I think the bursitis comes and goes just like Arthritis.  I was awake with my hip last night too.  Hasn't been bad enough to wake me up since I got the new mattress, so maybe again, as I think, to do with change in barometer.  When it does wake me up, I roll onto my back and within 15 minutes it goes away.  Trouble is, even in my sleep, I roll right back on my side!

Just got in, it's nice out now.  Saw a lot of bare legs and mine are ensconced in those warm sweats!  Should have stopped in S&S, there is literally nothing I want for lunch - no salad makings, only lasagna that I have to divide and freeze today.  I suppose I can have a square of that.  Like a salad to go with tho.

Winter, good luck with the car purchase.  My only hesitation would be where do you take it if there are little bugs - usually are when you first buy a car - do you have to run all the way back there?  Also, looking for report on the logo project - any news to tell?

Stopped by the library and picked up a new book.  Looks like a few chuckles, a novel, but light.

OK, I've got to get something to eat before Y&R.  I might skip "that room" altogether today, and give myself a breather, literally.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, the color I want in a new 2013 is nowhere in the state, well an hour and 10 minutes away, so NH is closer. If I need to go back I can go to a local dealer, there is one in the next town over. The one from yesterday would have been super close to work, but he yelled at me because I didn't like something. I was uncomfotable so we backed out of the deal. He's in sales he shouldn't be yelling at someone. Once our deposit is back in the account I will be writing the General Manager about the mistreatment. Of course the salesman was all super nice to DH. However, it's my car (purchase long before wedding) that we are trading in, so without me there is no deal.

- Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Winter, you are smart to back out; these car salesmen should not be allowed to treat people badly! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I haven't heard comments from my teacher yet on the final logo yet. This week we have to design an entire full color tri-fold brochure.

- Darth Vadar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Decided to run to S&S after Y&R so it would be done.  Did exceptionally well for the money spent.  Brought along the $5 off/$50 but had so few things I didn't think I'd reach that goal.  Decided to pick up sweet stuff that caught my eye so I wouldn't be under the gun to bake something when I got home.  Picked up that fancy root beer that I like, fish, steak, potato salad, frozen yogurt - plus the regular stuff.  That store has changed around the produce aisle, low counters like other stores have, and made some changes throughout.  Looks much more modern and efficient.  Only thing I didn't get, Pingo were the floor wipes.  They pre-moistened - I thought they were more a microfiber.  That's what I think I need for this dust part.  I had some of those at one point, will have to check a couple of drawers - but not today.

Do you already have a brochure layout in mind, Winter?  What a fun project.  As for the car salesman, I would have spoken to the manager before I left, altho you probably weren't sure you'd get the deal you wanted in NH and wanted to wait and see.  I thought they usually catered to the women so they wouldn't be leery of going in and negotiating.

Well, groceries that need to be refrigerated, are, and the rest an wait.  Will check Dr. Phil to see what's on today, and if it's a no brainer, will sit down with the book I got at the library, and a root beer.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my, tt, good you didn't get the pre-moistened wipes. That would have been a disaster. The Swiffers, I used, come in a box - just like kleenex. I am surprised, they didn't have them - or maybe you didn't know exactly, what you were looking for.
    Yes, my S&S is also changing everything around. They had just started last I was there. If was a nightmare. Couldn't find anything. The butter was placed at the other end of the store. Marched up and down a couple of times and finally had to ask a clerk to help me. Even he had trouble. I decided then, I am not going back until they get this mess straightened out.

Winter good for you, to back out on that salesman. He lost his commission. He didn't deserve it anyway, if he doesn treat the customers right. I am allergic to car sales people. They really get on my nerves. So whenever it is my turn for a new car, I tell DH what I want and let him deal with them.
    The new project of yours, seems overwhelming to me. Sounds like they are progressing fast. Hope to hear about your logos soon.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The guy was just an a_ _. He didn't want to hear anything I had to say. I told him my husband would call once he started screaming at me, because I was at work and frankly I didn't want to start talking like a truck driver. He then said to my husband, who's buying the car anyway? He replied, well the car that's being traded in is her's so it's her car. He should have been very nice to me since he most likely works on commission. We weren't comfortable at all at that point. We found the same car only with a couple more options $2k cheaper, so that local dealer wasn't meant to be. I can service my car at the dealer in the next town, that didn't have the car/color I wanted. I could have gotten a 2014 in 12 weeks, but I want AWD before the snow comes.

Not sure of a brochure layout yet.I can't do anything tonight as we are seeing La Cage aux Follies tonight at North Shore Music Theater. Charles Shaughnessy, formerly of the Nannie and Days of Our Lives. What's the book you got at the library?

- Darth Vadar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

DH did do the deal but since the trade in is my name only, techincally they have to get approval from me since I have to sign my title over.

- Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@winter, they (car salesmen) always assume the man is the one with the money, I had a similar experience once,  when I went to buy car, I took a male friend with me for support.

They kept asking him the questions, and he had to keep deferring them back to me, it was annoying.

I bet the salesman was an older guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'd say he was 50 or so. Yeah that sort of happaned, but my DH was sweet and kept saying it's her car not mine. The sales guy kept telling me I wanted another color and I said no I want this color with these options. 

- Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:

I'd say he was 50 or so. Yeah that sort of happaned, but my DH was sweet and kept saying it's her car not mine. The sales guy kept telling me I wanted another color and I said no I want this color with these options. 

- Darth Vadar

You should also write to the national division of the company itself (Chevrolet or Chrysler or Toyota or whatever...) and let them know how you were treated and by whom at what dealership.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's the plan Hats. It's a Subaru dealer.

- Darth Vadar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

You were wise Winter to walk away from that deal.  You didn't deserve to be spoken to like that, and he sure as heck didn't deserve that commission.  The best deals are always right before the new models come out.