September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: September 2013

These had the best texture; they were more I guess on the chewy side...hard to express.  They were so good.  

But as I mentioned, I find that it is butter that makes a difference.  Had a friend who used to wonder why my chocolate chip cookies were so much better than hers.  She used one of those margarine substitute in a crock things that have lots of added air and water to make them less caloric, and I use butter - same recipe from the back of the bag.  The type of shortening you use makes a big difference because the beating and cooking breaks down the bonds and allows that water and air to separate and cook out. There's not as much fat to combine with the flour and sugar and it just changes the texture so much. The old stick-type margarines worked better as a butter substitute because they were trying to be like butter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, the fat in cookies makes a huge difference, especially regarding spreading.  Do those Snickerdoodles make a crunching noise or could you sneak one compeletly silently?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've never used butter, so it will be my regular stick margarine.  Are they butterscotchy tasting?

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Snickerdoodles traditionally taste cinnamony, like cinnamon/sugar toast in a cookie.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oooh.  I love snickerdoodles!! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar's right, not butterscotchy but cinnamon-y.  And yes, they were silent - the one that I did get was abstracted from the tupperware container of cookies to be taken to a party after the baker went to bed.  More of a sandy texture but not as hard and sandy as shortbread (which the French call sables, or sand cookies, hence 'pecan sandies.")

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Phew!  Hats, yes I do live in the DC area, although am from MA originally - moved here about 10 years ago now.  I simply cannot read all these posts!  There are 109, I think, and it's only Sept 5th!  I gave up in August because there were so many, figured I'd start up again in Sept but in 5 days there are so many zillions of posts, it makes me tired.  Can't - read - all.  So I still have no clue how all of you doing!

All's well down here, yard still looks nice, heat and humidity are abating, finally (I hate the weather here, I truly do), we just got back from a 2 week vacation, the childcare center was still standing when I got back and I'm getting back in the swing of things.  Our cats survived being home alone (with a friend visiting 2 x/day to feed and play - he spends about 45 minutes playing with them, it's not just feed and go) but they surely did miss us - one was velcroed to us the first 24  hours after we returned. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Oh, and I wish it would rain for 2 days straight, our garden so desperately needs it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

SAW: I saw your post but got sidetracked by the cookie recipe search and posting.  I really feel for you, and hope your company will allow you to work from home.  Can't really give you much advice, except to say good luck.  Glad the vacation went well and the likds survived without you for the w/e getaway.

CT-DC: Summary - I apologise if I get these wrong.

Pingo is going to be a Grandmother finally and is happy happy.

Shaker Silly is doing better after a long period of recovery from broken ribs.

Tulips lost her DH of 42? years in May, was depressed and AWOL for a while, is back and most welcome, seems to be doing better and is cooking some good food, but broke her ankle after a marathon Mah-jongg session!!

TT is the best GM and GGM ever, is pretty healthy after a hard winter, and has not found a new kitchen table.  Still baking and cooking up a storm.

Kar is canning like a fiend, has a new top of the line gas stove, lots of company, lost lots of weight (as did Pingo) new clothes and shoes, went to lots of parties,  Gracie's surgery and recovery went really well, but she has or has had network problems.

Novem: DD is cute and doing a lot of really fun imitative play - par for the 1 year old little girl! DS went to college?  Is that possible I got it wrong?

Winter - Trip to DC went well.  DS starting grade 7 already had math homework. 

Amber and MM are still missing.  (Reminds me of Generalissimo Francisco Franco jokes from the hey days of SNL.)

Generally - lots of school shopping went on last week.  New sneakers were a common thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning - have to post while I can!  Most importatnly . . CONGRATULATIONS TO THE PINGO FAMILY!!!!!  Can you please remind me where your DS lives?  January is not too far off.

Well, I'm not a '72 baby, but a '71 . . not too far off!

TT - Can you please ask GT to save me a green tomato?  My favorite!  Plus, with my hyponatermia (low blood sodium) the salt will be good for me!  Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Good Morning! Enjoying a quiet work morning from home today. On Tuesday I will tell my boss that part time does not meet my needs. At this point I would be happy if they just laid me off. I have never not had a job and it might be nice for a little while. Its a catch 22 situation and I wish they would just let me do what I've been doing.

I will chime on that I'm a '73 baby, not too far off either.

Hats, our weekend away was actually with the kids, we only sent them to my parents on Saturday night and we were missing them at 7am Smile

On a happier note DD turned 5 months this week and is just about ready to crawl. DS got to go to the big kid classroom yesterday afternoon for orientation and it was a huge sucess! So I am glad we made the decision to give up naps at school.

Snickerdoodles are one of my Christmas cookies. They freeze beautifully. I have a recipe for a peanut butter sandwich cookie with are DH's favorites. The are a crisp oatmeal cookie with a thick peanut butter cream filling. They a bit of a pain because it is a tough dough to roll and cut, so they are labor intensive. I'll post the recipe later if anyone is interested.

I think I have to find a new washing machine or have it fixed, I'm getting some crazy error message and the fixes online don't look cheap. When it rains it pours, Sears is coming to fix my fridge today, but at least it is under warranty still.

Have a great Friday!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Hats - you didn't fill CT in on what's been going on in your life - you're the one who  has done the most day and overnight trips this summer. Otherwise, what a great rundown you did.  How did you get all that straight?  lol

Princess, he probably won't get around to pickling the green tomatoes this season - unless he runs right out and gets stuff now.  I sent him the name of the book Kargiver recommended, and have put aside for him the pamphlet I have here. 

Let me tell you all I am enjoying my new mattress.  I wake up with no back stiffness at all, and I love the snuggly feeling of laying on it.  Of course I may be singing a different song (la la la la la la la) as the months go by and I start to sink into it!  haha  I kind of thrash all over the place during the night when I sleep anyway, so am hoping that will keep the indentations, if any, to an even smush right across the mattress!  Did get up about 5:00 this morning and grab my afghan to throw on top of me.  The house is COLD this morning.

Another morning with no Harry.  I'm even more sure now that he was sleeping under the protection of the way overgrown wisteria that intertwined with the shrub next to it.  I can see right under there now from my kitchen window, so  he's found someplace else, some other yard, I fear, to hide out.  C.L. has had both cats there to feed days, so I know he's OK.

Maybe an oatmeal morning unless I take the lazy man's way out and settle (?) for a whoopie pie and coffee - - oh, the choices in the morning -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Saw sorry, but it was inevitable that I would make a few mistakes in an attempt to summarize like that!  Sorry for everything else I messed up or left out too altho some things I left out because I thought they might be too sensitive to mention.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just wanted to let you know, Tulips, I'm "going in" for a couple of games of MahJong !  haha

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Hats, great job on the summary, though Noevmb's DS started High School. But BIG brownie points for the rest of it. So last night I sketched 3 logos for my assignment, 4 more to go. These sketches are so bad I'm going to have to try and do them in the program for grading. I'm also out of ideas, so hopefully something comes to me before midnight tomorrow..lol. Chilly this morning, but DS still wore his shorts to school, he's holding on to summer it looks like.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Haha, Winter, I love how the boys hang onto that "summer look".  My "boy" of 40 odd years still wears the shorts late into the fall!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think he regretted it once outside as he asked me quickly if we could put the heat on in the car. He can only wear shorts to school until September 30th per his uniform code, but I'm sure he'll push it as long as possible. He has his first soccer game tomorrow against Tewksbury.

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have they had a chance for any practices?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Added note, Winter - noticing all the "boys" of all ages (some 50+) are walking/jogging by this morning with shorts on - jackets or sweatshirts on top, but shorts on the bottom!  What is it with guys and their legs??

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh yes they started practicing twice a week the week of August 26th. Hope the weather is going to be nice, I don't like today for sitting outside for an hour and a half.

- Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's warmed out already.  Just put the trash out, and have left the front inside door open.  Cheerio is lying in the sun on the rug where you step in.  She had thought she'd curl up on the sheets at the foot of my bed, but I beat her to it this morning and got the bed made before she settled down.  Have the window open in this room too, going to be a nice day I think.  Have washes to do and maybe it's a good temp day to get the kitchen floor washed.

ETA:  Update on the cats - looked out about an hour ago and Miss Fluff a Duff was lying on my back walk in the sun.  Put out some kibble and she ate half of it.  I think we may have a little territory war going on here, hers or Harry's yard.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

And, what a glorious preview of Fall.

Hats, nice summary, thanks!!!

I just recommended that book, again, to a dear friend who called this morning and asked if I knew of a good one.  It is my favorite set of directions ever.  Makes the process totally fool proof which takes all the fear out of it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    I am a bit late. My dishwasher decided not to work last night, so I have been hand washing a full  DW this morning, and I am using it as a drying rack. TG it didn't happen, while the kids were at home. They don't use anything plastic or paper-throw-away, so I had to run it several times a day in order to clean all the glasses they used. And of course, they can only use a glass once. They drink a lot - LOTS - of water. I still loved to have them at home and miss them so, now they are gone.
    SAW, I am sorry you are in the position you are in. I am sure you would like to stay at home with your LO for a while longer. I hope for you, your company will lay you off, but since they have offered you a part time position, please don't count on it. It seems, they know, what they are doing. Every time there is a lay-off, the company's unemployment percentage goes up. It can be big bucks, so we always try to avoid it. I do hope everything works out for you. 
    Laying low today. Have a few errands to do for UKS. Going to UPS with shoes (7 pair, only kept 2) he ordered and don't want - plus returning some stuff to Costco. I also want to stop by WH and do some browsing. The time we went there, we were more or less in rush. And of course TJ's is always on my Friday list.
    Princess, I have one son in TX - the one that is expecting - and I have one in UK.
    It is really cool out. But I like it for a change. Windows and slider is open. Fresh air feels so good.
    Have a good day everyone. Chat later.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

WOW, Hats!!  Bravo for the recap!  I'd like to think I'm too young to have a DS in college, but doing the math, that'd be a fib! 

SAW - sounds like you have made your decision with this employer.  Will you be a SAHM or look for something else?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Novem I was talking to a friend on the phone who has one starting grade 1 and one starting college so probably that's where I got confused sorry.  And Princess sorry I forgot you - I'd be eating a lot of potato chips if I needed salt....I thought it was iron that you were deficient in - is it both?

Sections
Shortcuts