September 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: September 2013

Good morning,
    Such a cold night. Still we had the window open just a bit. Love the fresh breeze flowing when  sleeping. We bought our European down comforters at home. They are the greatest. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer. I could never understand, why there is such a difference  btw. the ones they sell here and the ones they sell "at home". I put them in the washing machine every so often, and they have lasted us for years.
    Winter, I think your designs are awesome. I go towards the Bee and the Tulips. Could you maybe put those two together? That would be of an interest to both children and adults alike. Or maybe you could change the tulips to some other generic flower with the bees.
    tt, my tomato pie was delicious. It would be a wonderful treat for a luncheon. Tomato Pie and a salad, and you are done. I got the recipe from the Boston Globe last week. I had to copy and paste it. Can't find it any longer. But as you have already googled it, you will know, there are plenty of Tomato Pie Recipes out there.
    I will make it again. But one thing I would change though is, that I would do away with the pie crust. I would make it casserole style and I would put a layer of thinly sliced potatoes or some leftover pasta at the bottom instead of the pie crust. You must know by now, I change everything to our liking, and DH doesn't care for pie crust.
    Speaking of crust, we are going to friends for dinner and a card game tonight. I am bringing dessert. Going to make a Blueberry Crisp. No crust, but plenty of blueberries. LOL
    Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Hats--Some of those updates I did not know-obviously occured while I was AWOL.

What happened to Gracie?  

Cool this morning--have some errands to run if I cn get my butt moving. GF is staying over next Fri night--I want to get a new shower curtain liner. Had new Laura Ashley bedding delivered the other day--need to pull apart the downstairs bedroom, move it around, and put on the dustruffle, and all the new pieces. At least that part is fun.   

Last weekend I bought several types of olives, and thought I would marinate them myself, instead of going to the expensive olive bar at the marketpace. So I put them in a jar with lots of evoo, garlic, some sundried tomatoes, and spices. Now I just went to give them a shake, and DUH--the evoo has solidified. Has anyone ever made them before? Maybe I should have not refrigerated them. Bummer. I know the oil will liquify once not refrigerated, but not sure what to do with them now.

I will have to google tomato pie-neverr heard of it! Thanks-that reminds me to go to the farmstand again for more garden tomatoes.

My dishwasher is broken also-for about a month now. I am finding I really don't miss it, but will get it looked at at some point....DS and I just wash as we go-kind of don't miss unloading a full load at once. How lazy is that????

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Most of the dishes in my dishwasher, Tulips are my cooking and baking stuff, I just rinse them off and put them.  Lots of times at lunch I just use a paper plate, so not many regular dishes in there.

Got the l.r. window done and it looks SPECTACULAR!  Of course I realized as I was doing it, probably when the oil burner guy is here and blowing out the furnace after cleaning it, - there go my clean windows!  However, since he isn't coming until October, I couldn't wait that long, they were really bothering me - sun comes right in my l.r. window all afternoon.  Stopped and made a salad, and now will do the kitchen window - no blind there to do, and that bothers me too, altho I think a lot of that one is on the outside, which has a bulkhead under it - hard for me to manage to clean.  Should invest in one of those long handled weegees.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hello ladies, I hope I am welcomed back. So much has gone on in the past year, hence my signature. I hope anyone I may have offended will forgive me as that was the reason I left BDC.  I was too emotional. But I always missed you... things are better except for my niece who's battle with cancer has now risen it's ugly head again. But I have a beautiful grandson Joey ♥ My daughter broke her ankle when he was 6 weeks old and it was a nightmare. I spent every weekend taking care of him since her BF had to work. The upside is we are so bonded : ) My new job was a challenge but loving it now. Super busy which is what I love. If you all want me back, I can post at night and weekends. No matter what, I did miss you all...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome back, Ambergirl, you've been missed, as well!!  Poor dd and her ankle and with a newborn - good she had you to help and how nice it turned out that you had more time with Joey.  Glad your new job turned out to be the right move.

Tulips, Gracie had a second major knee surgery in July to deal with another torn ACL (in dogs it's called their cruciate ligament).  She's doing very well, and we just started walking, again, for 10 -15 min at a time.  Sorry, I don't know what to do about your olives. :(

It IS spectacular out!  Have been doing mundane errands, but it is just nice to be out and about in such glorious sunny weather.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thank you Kar... but I must put my 2 cents in about Gracie. You have a young lab that has had one too many surgeries for her yound age. Torn ACL is no joke. So IMO respectfully of course, I think DH has to stop bringing her with him on his runs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

2 of her siblings had the same surgeries; it's genetic and directly related to her legs being too long for her high center of gravity.  Since the surgeries, there are no more ACLs to tear (they have been replaced by TPLO surgeries not sewn up) so now she can run, play, and hike safely for the rest of her life.  Thanks, though!  Caring concern and suggestions are always welcome. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

So happy to hear that : ) LOVE her!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!!  I know you all do. :)  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Hi Amber! Welcome back, and welcome  Joey!! So exciting--how old is he now?  Sorry about DD's ankle--I have one too! Very lucky - does not hurt, and I don't have  a newborn to take care of. DD must appreciate you so much.  Sorry about your niece--cancer really su**s.    Glad you are lovong your job--I remember your job search.

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Sorry kar--sorry to hear about Gracie, but glad she now is bionic and can start having fun again!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, thanks, Tulips - truly, she is practically bionic, now!

Hope your ankle is healing nicely.  Are you in a boot?  Glad no pain!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Well my plans for canning went out the window. Went to put DD clothes in the wash yesterday morning and wouldn't you know the washer won't work. I tried all the suggestions on Google and then called our local repair man. They told me it wasn't worth fixing.  So last night DH and I had to scramble to find a washer with good reviews and a decent price.  So I took the kids to lowes first thing and couldn't decide what to get. So it was off to Walmart since DH needed some new work clothes and of course they didn't have what he wanted.  But DS picked out duck dynasty tee shirts for DH and himself.  So we met DH and BIL for lunch and they helped me decide which one to get.  I ended up with a Samsung front load washer and the matching dryer for way more money than I wanted to spend, but what I think was a reasonable price.  I didn't realize how expensive they had gotten! Luckily they are being delivered tomorrow, so I don't have to go to the laundromat. 

But definitely was not in the budget this week. Frown

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thought I'm jump on and see what was going on. Amber welcome back, we've missed you. Glad you like your new job. Sorry about your daughter breaking her ankle. How are Tigger and Boo? Tulips how is your ankle? Saw, hate when your washer goes hen you need it, happaned to me a couple of years ago. Tt, feeling inspired about your window cleaning, maybe I'll do one or two tomorrow.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Tulips, Joey will be 6 months the 25th. Can't believe how fast the time went! Just love him to pieces ♥ DD had surgery with pins in her ankle. Ugh... she is so much better now with PT. Hello Saw! So nice to see someone new on this board! Winter, the kitties are doing good. Spoiled rotten as usual. tt, how are you and Cheerio? I missed everyone for sure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Amber, glad you are back.  If you go look at the thread called "We miss you MM" you will see that you were missed too.

I am glad your little Joey is well and that DD is on the mend, sounds as if all of you have had a really rough time.

SAW so sorry - a new washer and dryer - what an expense!  I hope the new ones give you good service for a long time. 

I was busy today, plus I cut my mousing finger - it's painful to computer so you may see less of me than usual - must run for a bandaid!  looking forward to a good sleep tonight had to be up bright and early today.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Walks are wet, so we must have had rain during the night.  A little chilly with this window open, but I've a feeling it will warm up.

DIL is half planning on coming down today, but is helping out with the Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk today and had to be there at 5:00 a.m.  I know the girls go out for breakfast afterwards, so I can't imagine after that she'll want to do anything except get home and crash, but then, I also know my DIL - always on the go.

Pumpkin's mom sent pics of the new baby and the last one was pumpkin with his hand on the carrier and the little one looking up at him with such adoration - hate to see my little pumpkin growing up so fast into the role of "big brother", but according to his Mom, he's loving the role.  He'll be 2 next month.

Found half a banana bread in the freezer as I was poking around to check out what was in there, and took that out to have with my coffee this morning.  Seems strange not to have a meowing cat sitting on my walk or climbing out from under the shrub mornings, but I do think I've lost Harry, or I should say, Harry's lost his hiding spot.  C.L. hadn't seen him the last couple of days either.  You know with the window open nights, you hear all sorts of cries you don't want to hear, I hope nothing has happened to him.

Off to shower and dress and then a good hot cup of coffee with Winter's banana bread.  Have a good day everyone.  Hats, how's the finger this morning?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SAW, enjoy the new washer and dryer - that's great it's hooked up already; nothing more inconvenient than having to use the laudromat (and a little scary).  Canning today instead?

Ambergirl, he's 6 months, already?!  Wow, crazy.

tt, 2 is such a cute big brother or sister age. :)  I hope Harry is OK...he has lots of times where he doesn't come by, though, and seems to know how to take care of himself.

Cool and damp here, too.  Maybe I'll make tomato sauce...not feeling too inspired at the moment, though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, finger is better; put a bandaid and nati-bacterial ointment on it last night.  Won't take much mousing though.  thanks!

Looks like a pretty day!  I think I might have a third cup of tea outside to enjoy it!  Have a lovely day everyone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

What a beautiful day! Had my coffee and took a short walk. Waiting for DD to pick me up. We are going to do some shopping and lunch. Can't wait to see my little pumpkin. Kar it is crazy to me too he will be 6 months old! Goes by fast. I hope everyone has a great day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Nice to see you back Amber. Sorry, you had a hard time lately. Hope things are looking up for you now.
    We were enjoying our breakfast outside on the the deck this morning. Not too many mornings left like this - if any. Beautiful day. Will take a ride to RI later, to see our friend w/ the knee replacement. A good day to do that.
    Seems it is a week for appliances to go bad. DH has looked at my DW several times, and can get it to work. But it seems that the motor  (or whatever is running it) keeps going. Will probably have Miele to come and take a look. My micro/convection oven is also sick - it works on and off, but I can't trust it for baking any longer. Made a blueberry crisp yesterday to take to friends, and it stopped in the middle of baking it. I quickly put it in my toaster oven, and no harm done.
    Had a nice evening with new friends paying cards. Haven't done that for such a long time. I am not a card player.
    Good luck w/ your new washer and dryer, SAW. Did they both go bad at the same time? And SS is having a new DW. Hope I don't have to do that.
    Sorry about your finger, Hats. I was in that position once, and I learned to use my left hand for mousing. Strange at first, but I adopted quickly.
    I will probably be off the computer for the day. Have a good day everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

On my 3rd load in the new washer. Took a little longer than planned this morning to get them all hooked up the way DH wanted. Then I had to finish the errands from yesterday. 

The dryer had been on its way out for months now. It has only worked on medium heat since before DD was born.  So it simply didn't make sense to only replace the washer if we would have to replace the ddryer in a few weeks. Plus I was using lowes price match to get them a little bit cheaper. 

Needless to say I got very little done this weekend.  Luckily I didn't have an abundance of ripe tomatoes to cook.

Kar, what kind of pressure canner do you have? I wanted to can some beans but only have canned with a water bath. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have a 23 qt (or about that) Presto, but I don't recommend it.  If I could do it over I'd get one with a rocker style gauge (even though you only have 5 lb increments that way) so you don't have to worry about calibration.  As you know, the poundage has to be correct to get the temp hot enough in the center of the jars to kill the botulism toxin producing spores, and the rocker is always correct; the dial can be off.  

Actually, having canned both ways, I'd have forgone pressure canning altogether.  The processing times appear shorter, but "processing time" doesn't include depressurizing time which takes forever.  And, instead of canning them, I just blanched and froze all the green beans we picked this morning.  I canned them last year and they turned out mushy - that's the other thing; the super heating means over cooking.

ETA:  However, if you want to go ahead and want a dial gauge, I like the Presto.  It's big enough to do a double stack of pints.  (I don't cook in it, though, as it's aluminum and I want food to just have contact with stainless steel.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

You had a beautiful day for a ride to RI, Pingo.  Hope your visit went well and your friend is recovering nicely.

I went over to my intown son's.  His wife had had a shoulder procedure on Friday and along with getting over the pain from that, is having trouble finding something to eat.  Brought over half the grapenut pudding, thought the custard part would slide down easily and would feel good in her throat, and the last of the banana choc chip bread, because sometimes just a little pulled off piece of something will appeal to you.  Not much traffic around town.  Newton DIL didn't make it down, so everything worked out well.  Had my nice Sunday dinner, with enough leftovers to have a couple more reheated full meals during the week.

C.L. and I were checking back our emails last night and realize it has been 4 days yesterday, 5 today if there is no sighting, since either of us have seen Harry.  Made it a point to get up at 6:00 this morning in case he has been out there early, but only sighting was birds.

Seeing your canning emails, wonder if G.T. got a chance over the week-end to check out "Put Em Up".  Sometimes when I read your emails, Kargiver, it seems as tho there's too many things to track to be sure of safe canning.  I don't remember my mother doing any of that.  The only thing she was sure to be careful of was the filling and sealing of the jars.  BTW, someone told me that my method of putting the cut cukes in with the pickles as is, could result in bacteria - have you heard that?  I'm enjoying what I put in there, and it's not like I plan to keep them a month or so.

Okay, still have those leftover choc chip pancakes that I think I'll reheat this morning with my coffee.  Still too cold in the house to hop in the shower.  Opening the blinds to let the sun help warm up the rooms.  How's the finger, Hats?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, brrrrrrr, Fall is in the air!

tt, once you open even a processed jar of pickles (not just refrigerated) you immediately introduce bacteria.  The air and utensils are not sterile.  The contents of any canned food is only sterile after it has been processed, sealed properly, and not opened.  So, you can add cukes to an open jar for as long as the orgininal contents would still be good.

Canning safety has come a long way, indeed.  We know, now, exactly what causes and how to prevent botulism poisoning, and tested recipes (for internal jar temperature post-processing and acidity) are safest.  However, tried and true "grandma" recipes that are followed to the letter that never exploded, oozed, or otherwise ever had signs of spoilage over the years are ok, too.  Random recipes to can on the Internet do not fall into either of those categories and should be avoided.  The safety techniques aren't hard or complicated, but they basically boil down (no pun intended) to following tested recipes exactly with no adjustments "to taste" because those changes can alter the pH making the food unsafe for longterm storage.  This applies to stuff you actually process in a water bath canning procedure, not your refrigerator pickles which, since you eat them relatively soon and they are not meant to be preserved long term or unrefrigerated, are fine to play around with however you want.

Gotta run for now - Monday morning rush.  

Have a great morning, everyone!

Sections
Shortcuts