September 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

September 2014

Happy September!

Can't believe I didn't post in August this time. :)

Blessings to the whole CC family as we head into Fall.

~kar

~~~~~~~~

PHOTOS:   https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A35n8hH4TyAfU

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: September 2014

...although, feeling like Summer today.  

tt, your dinner last night sounds elegant.

Ours was good, too, and neighbor seemed to enjoy despite there being no potato or bread. He loved the spelt peach cake!!!  Maybe he'll make the switch.

Making another big batch of soup today.  DH is in the garden grocery shopping right now.

What's on everyone else's docket for the holiday?

~~~~~~~~

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good September morning -

Good thing you were the first to post, Kargiver, I would have continued right on in "August"!

Cereal for supper last night but then succombed to the chocolate chip cookie baking I had been thinking of all day.  I keep trying new ones I pull off the internet.  Last Night's was Betty Crocker's 1969 chocolate chip cookie. Now I have a whole tray full.  Sampled one warm from the oven and then two more, but that has satisfied my taste buds.  Unless I find a way today to get rid of a couple of bags of them, will pop the whole container right in the freezer.  Glad your impromptu supper was a hit, Kargiver.  I'd say he's a lucky neighbor.

No activities planned  here.  Woke up during night with ankle and top of foot aching and almost unbearable to stand on.  I've had tendonitis before in the top of my foot, same foot, and thought it was just that, but by this morning, even after rubbing on an arthritis cream, whole ankle was swollen and painful.  No shower, couldn't put enough weight on it to hop into or out of shower, and after washing up wrapped it in a very stretched out Ace bandage I luckily had saved in the closet.  Now it's wedged into my unlaced shoe and the tighness at least allows me to hobble around.  That and an ibuprofen.  Knees are burning too, so I suspect it is my old friend arthritis which as the ortho guy said, "is a sneaky devil.  Will pop up whenever he wants."

So, what does everyone else have for plans today?  I did hear from SS last night.  It was indeed the second cookout, last of the summer, that she had gone to.  DH stayed home alone, so he must be well on the way to better health, otherwise they wouldn't have left him for the day.  Hoping to hear from Newton DIL today and get filled in on the college kid's move.  Bet they're all a little lonesome this morning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No one had posted, before I started my September post. Seems we all posted at the same time. so here is a copy. Please disregard the second Sept. Discussion.

Good morning,

Sorry I was mia yesterday. I was not feeling well. It was our anniversary, and I was in bed the better part of the day. Woke up to freshly made coffee, beautiful roses, and a funny card. It was a guy standing in front of an open refrigerator full of butter saying, "Where is the butter?" - inside it said, "What would we do w/o each other" --- and then a personal note. DH took me out for breakfast, but my stomach felt queasy. Didn't feel like eating anything. On the way back I had to ask DH to stop the car, and I got rid of my breakfast. I went to bed, when we got home, and slept all afternoon - so much for a happy anniversary. Fortunately US Open (tennis) is on these days, so DH was busy watching that, while catering to me. He heated up leftovers for himself for supper. I still didn't feel like eating.
    Slept well last night and feeling much better this morning. Had a couple of plain toasts this morning, and I am keeping those down.

Saturday's dinner went well, even though I was not feeling up to par. I think things were already brewing. The college nephew, that came w/ them was as expected busy w/ his phone. When we sat down to dinner, DH shocked me by saying, "xyz, if you were my son, I would ask you to put that phone in your pocket - at least while we eat dinner." He did put it away, but after dinner, he was back to his old tricks.

No plans for today, except we may stop by the office for a few hours later. "Special" anniversary dinner will have to wait until the weekend. Our friends from RI may come up and join us. They just celebrated their 50th on a cruise to Alaska with all their children and grand children.

Happy September and have a good Labor Day!

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good evening,  everyone,

Ah, what a day of chopping, chopping and more chopping.  The soup (nearly 5 gal) is cooling, Gracie is walked, I've showered (again), and the blueberries are picked.  DH picked the last of the peaches after two big peach give aways yesterday.  Will have to freeze those tomorrow.

tt, sorry your foot was so sore as to impact your day - no shower?  Ow!  How is it doing tonight?  Better after a day of rest I hope.

Pingo, sorry your anniversary was marred by your being under the weather.  There'll be time to celebrate another time.  Love the card - it is so US!  I wonder if I'll be the recipient of that one one day; I will for sure if he ever comes across it.  Nice DH spoke up and you all had a break from the texting over dinner.  I wonder if aunt and uncle took a hint that they, too, can insist on the same.

Time for some soup. :)

~~~~~~~~

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Dishwasher is swishing away, and I just emptied and refilled freezer, putting like containers together.  Not room for much else.  Cookie container a big oblong one is on the bottom of the top shelf with Linzer cookie dough on top, and the some frozen blueberry coffee cake.  What inspired me was the "Pioneer Woman" and her freezing containers of food to take to her husband's grandmother.  I'll buy some of those aluminum loaf pans to put chicken pie in, that way I can heat it right in the pan.  She is a bit too much for me, but I did get a few hints watching today.

After lunch foot was aching so I unwound the already loose Ace bandage and took that off.  It began to feel better when I took the sneaker off and slipped the unclothed foot into my soft slipper.  Think plans for tomorrow morning will cancel out.  Involves a lot of walking and is nothing I have to do.  Still no idea other than arthritis flareup what it was/is.  Hoping for a peaceful pain free night tonight, with no need for any further ibuprofen.  My stomach doesn't like them and neither, I'm sure, do my kidneys.

Newton DIL called this afternoon.  With trucks in town, GGD got moved into her dorm yesterday.  Only took a couple of hours and then fam congregated at one of DIL's sister's for a clambake.  She said my son (Papa) can hardly wait for the start of little Lilly's school tomorrow, to get back to his own much less hectic schedule.  If he is home, that's where Lilly is, with him.

Real Housewives of O.C. reunion, I think, is on tonight, and another Housewives on tomorrow.  I do like them.  Want to see/hear abut Teresa and Joe's indictment.  Sounds as tho they were found guilty, and I wonder if both will do jail time.

Getting in my jammies early, to just relax.  A little chilly now sitting in front of the window.  Hope Winter will have time tomorrow to get on and tell us a little bit about their cruise.

Hope you are feeling better tonight, Pingo.  I felt sick this afternoon, but I always get sick to my stomach when I have any pain, plus the ibuprofen doesn't settle well with me.  Plain spaghetti with butter for supper with a can of ginger ale, and right now anyway, feeling OK.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

September is off to a rough start for you guys; that's too bad.

tt, nice you are able to relax tonight with your feet up and can reschedule tomorrow morning's activities.

Pingo, hoping you can take it easy tomorrow, too, and kick whatever had you down all the way out.

Gracie just came in with the fattest carrot I've ever seen; DH must have given it to her.

~~~~~~~~

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Slow start to Monday's Chat.  I'm sure everyone who is back to work is snowed under.  I remember the day after a holiday week-end.  So much to take care of.

Ankle is defnitely better than yesterday, but still hobbling around, so won't attempt going out.  Too bad, because I'm going stir crazy with just my own company.  Maybe a good day to do some shredding.

Nice breeze coming in the window,  this is the best room I could have picked to put the computer.  Tree outside and seems to get any breeze coming off of the water.  Can hear other houses' a/c, but right now, no need here.  Just filled the birdbath with fresh water and before long the sparrows will be lining up on the rim, waiting their turn to jump in and splash around.

Hope you are feeling good this morning, Pingo.  Kargiver. what's up for you today?  Calling the chiropractor?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

DH didn't leave until almost 9 so late checking in this morning.

tt, sorry your foot/ankle are still bothering you, but sounds like it's getting better?  Maybe more recipe sorting will make the time fly.

Pingo, are you over your bout?  

Still humid - we've had the AC on since Sunday night, not cool, but at least dry.  I need to do laundry; will hang it inside or it will never dry.

The last batch of peaches is on the counter rotting as we speak so I have to shake a leg on those.  I also have to freeze most of the soup.  Also have to water the new plantings - second batch of turnips, kolrabi (sp?), spinach (I think), and second cuke batch.

All the pumpkins are turning orange (that hadn't already), and the blue hubbards are still growing to their characteristic size.  Gorgeous blue, too.

Yes, called the chiropractor and have an appointment for tomorrow!  YAHOO!  Got a warm reception on the phone, very nice.

Had such a wonderful 3 days; went by so fast.  Hated to see DH's car disappear down the driveway.  At least it's already Tuesday.

~~~~~~~~

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Miserable night. DH joined me in whatever is going on, and we took turn using the bathroom all night. I must be clean as a whistle inside by now. Feeling a bit better this morning, but tired and weak. Will make sure to hydrate myself, and hopefully be able to take a nap later this afternoon. DH is working at home this morning to be close to a bathroom just in case. Had yogurt for breakfast and will have that for lunch too. Need those good bacteria, besides we have no interest in solid food right now. 

Good your foot is better, tt. My SIL has been suffering for a while with a bad foot too. She had an MRI last week, and an appointment with her doc today, to hear the results and what to be done. Hope they can do something for her. It really slow you down a lot. She was walking around with a boot for a while, but it was so heavy and hot and didn't seem to help.

Kombucha, Kar? You lucky you getting a starter from a friend. I have been thinking of making my own for a while from store bought Kombucha. Maybe it will be a fall project. Nice to get the benefits of green teas as well. But I read, one need some black tea in the mix, in order to get a proper fermentation. Good luck with it.

I need to do laundry too. Didn't get anything accomplished this long weekend.

Hoping to hear from Winter. She must be home now, but probably loaded at work.

Have a good day.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ugh, Pingo, sounds like a horror show - sorry you are both in need of being "close to the bathroom."  Miserable. :(

Re the kombucha, I'm not so sure I'm going to keep up with it, although, I have it going for now - it takes about 10 days unlike kefir which is a daily ritual I thoroughly enjoy.  I'd be happy to hand the kombucha over to you if I could, actually.  I read that once the scoby is well established you can switch from black to green tea.  My friend has built this one up on black.

Yeah, totally looking forward to hearing all about Winter's cruise.  

Rama, more neighborhood BBQs this past weekend?  Great Labor Day for it.  

Nov, were you up at the lake?

Having a hungry day today; had breakfast of banana, Ezekiel toast, cheese, and kefir.  Usually, just the kefir.

~~~~~~~~

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That really discouraged me, Kar. Does it really take 7 - 10 days after the first batch? I guess one could make a huge batch weekly and just divide it up. I was interested, b/c I read it is a great for your joints. Something I could use. Plus it detoxifies better than kefir. It is also supposed to be a cancer preventer.

tt, how is the foot, now you have been on it all morning? Great idea of organizing the ref/freezer in boxes. Those clam boxes the ready to use organic lettuce comes in, are excellent for that.

DH just left for work. Things seems to have settled a bit. Hope it stays that way, as the job sites only have those Porta-Pottys. And who wants to use those.

I will move my load of wash to the dryer, then go for a well deserved nap.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Happy September!  I love the fall - although this week won't feel very fallish.  I just ordered DD the cutest little fleece peacoat for fall, and picked up adorable riding boots at marshalls.  I'm already imagining the pumpkin patch pictures!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Nov!  Pumpkin patch photos are the cutest!  We have some of our friends DD in ours with Gracie from when she was 2.  Gracie dwarfed her, lol, as did the pumpkins. :)

Pingo, not just the first batch, every batch can take up to 14 days, but you make a gallon at a time.  You have to include some of the finished batch in every next batch so my friend brought some finished kombucha, too - it has slime I fished out because, like kefir, it keeps culturing. Not sure I can handle it.  I've read the health claims, but unlike with kefir, many trusted sources say its health benefits are unproven and the jury is out.  It also seems more susceptible to contamination and other issues.  I dunno, but I have at least a week to think about it before this batch is done.

Hoping your DH doesn't regret leaving the real bathroom...

tt, how is the foot?

~~~~~~~~

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Happy September Nov. Glad to see your post. Cute riding boots. For whom? DD or yourself? PP went to DS's FIL's ranch for the first time over the weekend. She was so excited over their horses. Should I start to look for riding boots for her?

I know, Kar, that "slime" would probably throw me out too. I am glad you are doing it, instead of me trying. I know, you will keep and post notes.

Just took out some crab cakes, I made a while ago,  from the freezer. Makes me think, I am feeling ok as far as intake of food. Have some leftover quinoa, I will make into a salad - plus I have leftover uncooked asparagus and snap peas as well. Will see which one will win tonight as a side dish.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you are both feeling better, Pingo.  Dinner sounds yummy. The kombucha is nothing like kefir (I mistakenly thought it would be) - will keep you posted.  I'll take some pics when it's done. PP might be a little young for riding boots, lol. ;)

~~~~~~~~

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just finished watching Y&R - my Gawd, the plots in that are getting so ridiculous.

Foot is still too painful to go out.  Had to take the little sock off because even the elastic top made it ache.  No ibuprofen today if I can help it.  Stomach is just now settling down.  

While watching Y&R, I was scanning through mags for pics suitable to make fridge magnets to put in each of the Christmas baskets.  Came across a cute pumpkin one, Rama, with a little boy with dirt on his shirt and knees - so cute, a little blond like my pumpkin, but much too large a pic to be a fridge magnet.  I tore it out anyway and put it in a folder for some future use.  Found a couple of great ones to make and put in my Newton son's basket - scowl, and all! Looks just like him.

Sent out an SOS email to C.L. this morning, and she may come up at 3:00 for a visit.  Has to lay out in the sun first.  Told her I'd love a good game of cards, but the one time I tried to show her, she didn't like it.  Shouldn't complain, at least company would be nice after 4 days of noone to talk to except on the phone.

Kargiver I don't know what you and Pingo are talking about brewing, but am glad I'm not still of an age where I would be interested in concocting "health" foods.  The changes I have made in my own menus are about as far out as I want to try.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi I'm here. No internet at work for a while and then I was trying to get through all the emails. I haven't caught up yet, but wanted to pop on. The cruise was fantastic. I did stub my toe which ended in it being broken the first night. It was middle of night night and I forgot there was a small step up to bathroom and bam smashed second toe...woke up in pain and colroed toe. Can't do much for a toe except tape it so that it what happaned. All excursions were awesome and DS had a great time.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Watch out Kargiver and Rama - this seems to be the season of broken toes, painful ankles, stomach upsets - 

Winter, could you still get your shoes on?  And what about all the walking that was involved?

Good to have you back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I wore flip flops most of time. Hurt like heck on formal nights to waer heels. The 30-minute hike to get to the cave tubing hurt a bit, but I did fit in my sneaker. :) Sadly I have a 5K on the 13th and not even sure I'll be able to walk it. I missed you all.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe CL would like a different game?  Does she play majong?  She won't be sun bathing much longer if what we have now moves your way - pouring!

Kefir is as wild as in think I'm going to get, lol, just giving this kombucha a good try.  It's fermented (usually black) tea.  Tastes kind of like a slightly carbonated weak apple cider vinegar.

Welcome home, Winter!!  So sorry you broke your toe on the first day, that really stinks.  Hoping it didn't slow you down much or put a damper on what you wanted to do. At least you don't need your feet to relax by the pool or on the beach. :). Looking forward to hearing more about your vaca.

~~~~~~~~

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your post came up with mine, Winter.  Sounds painful. :(

~~~~~~~~

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Welcome home to the Chat, Winter.
    What a bummer, stubbing your toe. I did mine earlier this summer, so  I know how much that hurts, and how much it slows you down. I know, those cabin bathroom thresholds are deserving. So glad you had a good time despite the "accident". Glad to have you back. You were missed. Hope you will give us more info on all your excursions, that sounded so exciting. 

tt, would GL play some other game? We have two fun game we play w/ friends, who doesn't like to play cards. One is called "Qwerkle" the other one is called "Rummy Cube". The latter is just like rummy, but played w/ tiles instead of cards. Lots of fun. Would she like to play Scrabble? The two of you seem to be able to have a lot of fun together.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I had written but then erased it before posting it.  She's not a game player, not cards, not scrabble, not dominoes, the only thing she does play is slots and the lottery.  I was just looking for a good game of Spite and Malice, and my cousin is the only one who enjoys it - well, afterall, she's the one who taught me, and she was taught by her aunt when she'd go over to visit on Sunday mornings and they'd enjoy a manhattan or in the case of her aunt, two!  That lady has since passed away after living well into her 90's.

No signs of her, so guess she decided not to come up.  I didn't really take her up on the offer without the cards - she offered kind of left hand - "I could come up to visit around 3:00 after my soaps and I've laid out in the sun for my tan, but isn't that too close to your supper?"  Really!!  No reply needed, I felt, so didn't.

Wash churning away and Cheerio is stretched out on my bed with the A/C blowing.  She's finally taking advantage of the A/C when it's on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

yeah, we have friends who sort of imply they'll be over and then usually don't show.  I've learned not to go all out for them, and if they come, great.

ac blowing here, too.

lightening up and rain almost stopped. Need to freeze soup and probably will walk Gracie if not still too hot.

~~~~~~~~