Sympathy card - advice on sending a "late" card

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sympathy card - advice on sending a "late" card

Hello Everyone,

I did not know that the husband of my former boss had died until recently; he died at the end of May, so it is still quite recent, although I certainly missed the usual time when I would have sent a card.  Her husband had cancer, diagnosed when I was still working for her, but I was truly shocked and saddened to learn of his death; they had a very good marriage and I know she must be devastated. 

This person was not my immediate supervisor, she was actually a high-level manager, but she managed a large group of people, and I was among them.  I really want to send a card, but feel a little awkward b/c of the lateness factor.

Have any of you had this happen, and gone ahead and sent the card? 

I am not planning on saying anything like "I just learned  ..." or making any references to being apologetic about the lateness of the card.  I think that speaks for itself and I don't want to draw attention to that, as the focus is to offer my condolences. 

Any advice is appreciated.  I am planning on sending a card, but as I feel awkward, I would love some feedback.   

Thanks for any advice you have to offer!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Re: Sympathy card - advice on sending a "late" card

At this point, I think it would be more apropriate to send a personal note rather than a card. 

Dear Former Boss, I have been thinking of you so much lately. I was so sad to hear of John's death.  I know this is a difficult time for you.

If you would like to get together for dinner or a drink, I know a nice little restaurant around the corner from (name of her company) where we could meet (name of day/s that are good) night! 

Sincerely,
    Your name here.

So many widows complain that their social life dies when their husband does, it is always good to invite them out!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lemoncoke,
    What a wonderful idea. I was trying to put something down in words for yogafriend, but did not have the right words w/o sounding like a cliche.  Yours not only give sympathy, but friendship as well.
    Well said - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thanks, Lemoncoke!

That's a great idea and the wording is just right for the circumstances.  It seems like such a small thing, but I feel so awkward due to the time lag. 

...and thanks, Pingo.  I also agree that it will be nice to extend the hand of friendship at a time when someone is really hurting. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

No one wants to see another sympathy card three months later!  They are great in the first week or two, but later, no.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

yogafriend,

You are such a dear person.

I would not worry too much about the card. I was getting sympathy cards a year after my dad passed, and I appreciated every one of them.

lemoncoke's advice is awesome - as a letter, or, if you want, as a card. Either one.

You have a good soul, yogafriend.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Very nice advice, lc.  I'd write the lovely personal note in a simple sympathy card that isn't printed with too wordy a verse.  The card might say, "Thinking of you in your loss," instead of 2 pages of Amanda Bradley.  Then, you can use the white space for the personal note and invitation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

That is a great idea,very thoughtful.b.g.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Sympathy card - advice on sending a "late" card:
    yogafriend, You are such a dear person. I would not worry too much about the card. I was getting sympathy cards a year after my dad passed, and I appreciated every one of them. lemoncoke's advice is awesome - as a letter, or, if you want, as a card. Either one. You have a good soul, yogafriend.
    Posted by reindeergirl

Thank you so much, RDG.   Means so much to me to see such a sweet message waiting for me, and helpful as well.   You are awesome.  

Here it is the most dreary day of the summer, and I am smiling.  Many thanks. 
    xo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thank you, all! 

Great advice.  I no longer feel awkward about the timing of the card and love all of your suggestions.  

... and lemoncoke is a hot ticket, let's face it.    Thanks again!!Smile

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Panney. Show Panney's posts

Lovely of you to think of sending sympathies and even worry about the length of time passed before you did.

Sending a letter with an invitation to dinner is a great idea. A card would suffice but a nice, chatty and inviting letter is a wonderful way to handle the situation.

Blessings to you for your thoughtfulness -

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Sympathy card - advice on sending a "late" card:
    Lovely of you to think of sending sympathies and even worry about the length of time passed before you did. Sending a letter with an invitation to dinner is a great idea. A card would suffice but a nice, chatty and inviting letter is a wonderful way to handle the situation. Blessings to you for your thoughtfulness -
    Posted by Panney

Thank you, Panney.   I appreciate your input and kind words.  
    Love all the advice.   Really made my day! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

The former boss is enriched because YF is her friend.

Sections
Shortcuts