Tipping!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Tipping!

Hello friends,
    How far has tipping gone? Do you tip the gas attendant? I never thought of doing so. In the 'olden' days one would have the car filled up and the windshild cleaned. You paid - and no tipping.
    These days you mostly pump your own gas (and do your own windshield cleaning). I do pump my own gas whenever possible. But once in a while I visit a gas station, where ther are no self-pumps. Just because, they do not have self-pumps, should I really bow over and thank the attendant for pumping gas in my car?
    Just wondering how you all feel about this - Pingo

This is from the Globe's Sunday paper:

We recently went to a full-service gas station that had prices similar to a self-service station. The attendant pumped gas for us in the pouring rain. His service wasn't exceptional, but given he served us in the rain and the price was right, I thought he deserved a tip. Is it appropriate to give attendants at full-service gas stations tips? How about the postal person? My mother-in-law disagrees with me on both counts. P.F. / Nashua

It's not required to give gas station attendants a tip, but why not, if it's horrible out and you get to stay in your nice warm car because of their labors? Researchers have recently discovered that being socially rejected can make people feel literally physically cold. Perhaps social kindness can have a warming effect. Even if not, getting something nice and unexpected, even if it's a small thing, can be inordinately cheering.

One must take more care about cheering postal workers, though, as they are subject to rules about what they can accept. Cash is out, but you can give them small (valued under $20) gifts or cookies or some such.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tipping!

Good morning, Pingo

Good topic. Funny it should come up a couple of days after I did tip the attendant where I "fill 'er up".

I go to a small 2 man local full service gas station and 3 or 4 times a year when there is $2 or $3 change back from filling my tank, I will tell the young attendant who works there to keep the change. Christmas week I do slip him a little something too. I would never do this with the owner - he sets the prices, and altho I'm a loyal customer, I can readily see his price is always higher than others in the neighborhood.
    I'm one of those little old ladies who is always worried about the air pressure in the tires, and the young guy who works there has never responded with anything but courtesy when I ask him if he would "check the pressure in that right front tire".

I think it's an individual thing. At any other gas station that I may pull into I never tip, wouldn't think of it. This station is one that takes very good care of me, fitting me in for a check up whenever I hear a "ping".

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Tipping!

I have never seen a full-service gas station oout here, but if i did, i doubt i would use them. No sense to it. i can pump gas very easily.

But in restaurants, i have a minimum of 15% and if the sercice is exceptional, more. But if the wait-person really screws up, I give that person $1 and hope the message is clear. One of the main reasons i go out to eat is I like to be served and served well. Bad service for me ruins the whole meal, so why should i give the usual tip that tells the person you service was appreciated?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Tipping!

bump!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Tipping!

There are no full service stations in my neighborhood so I usually pump my own gas, but I can understand occasionally tipping a gas station attendant at a full service station, especially when they do the extras that tt mentions. My family has gone to the same service station for years for tuneups and anything you don't need the dealer for. I always show up with a dozen donuts and coffee for the guys. I think the little extra means something to them. I wouldn't begrudge an attendant an extra dollar or two for standing outside in all kinds of weather. I tip my mail carrier at Christmas. He would not accept cash from me when he first started the route years ago. So, I give him a gift card. When I took my father to buy a Christmas tree, I tipped the kid a couple of bucks to cut a bit off the stump and carry the tree to the car. Where do I draw the line? My local bakery was recently sold and a tip cup has appeared on the counter. I first saw it when I stopped to buy dessert on Superbowl Sunday. A bakery is not someplace where I think a tip is necessary.

mothermitzi

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Tipping!

Friends,
    I/we tip very generously!!!! Usually 20% in restaurants. Anyone else on the list - like the guy at the place, where we wash our cars (not the owner), our postman, our FedEx man - just to name a few, we give a generous Christmas gift every year.
    I have on occasion wanted to put down just a dollar bill - like Ken - for bad service at a restaurant. But my husband will not do so. Those people have to make a living - he says. We may cut down on the tip - but IMO not enough. I feel unless you make a statement - like Ken with the one dollar bill - they will just think we are cheap tippers. We argue about this all the time.
    Resently we were looking for a book keeper. The girl, who many times has served us at Friendly's is an accountant student finishing up in a few months. We offered her a job. But she denied - she makes about $250 per night in tip - and our meager $20/hr offer would not be enough for her to accept our fulltime job with a lot of bennies. Go figure.
    I agree w/ you mm - those tip jars are popping up everywhere. Dunkin Donuts had them for some time. Please tell me, what is there to tip? You pour coffee in a styrofoam cup and hand it over the counter. And in a bakery?? Unheard of. The bakery make the goods, you buy and pay for them - where is the service in this case? Arghh!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Tipping!

At a DD or Other coffee shop, I think the tip jars are mostly for the steady customers whose orders are remembered and ready for them, or for times when the servers go out of their way to be helpful. Many times construction or other local workers come in every day with long orders to be filled, and I think they often tip.

At a restaurant the other night, we were closing the place down, and our server gave us leftover rolls and some dipping oil with our leftover food. You can bet we tipped her well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Tipping!

I saw a tip jar at Pizza Hut (take out orders only)
    Are they kidding? Wait and wait and then tip?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Tipping!

Hi Ken -

Used to be no tipping for take-out. Hats has a point though. When they were building the Mandarin Oriental on Boylston St., I used to get stuck behind the construction workers. One guy would be ordering for a dozen guys - from breakfast sandwiches to coffee ten different ways. I guess I'd be looking for a tip, too!

Is the choir doing a special program for Easter? Bet that requires extra practice. Easter is late this year, and I like it when that happens. We have a better chance of a good day around these parts.

mothermitzi

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Tipping!

[Quote]Hi Ken -

Used to be no tipping for take-out. Hats has a point though. When they were building the Mandarin Oriental on Boylston St., I used to get stuck behind the construction workers. One guy would be ordering for a dozen guys - from breakfast sandwiches to coffee ten different ways. I guess I'd be looking for a tip, too!

Is the choir doing a special program for Easter? Bet that requires extra practice. Easter is late this year, and I like it when that happens. We have a better chance of a good day around these parts.
    Y

Yes, we are doing a Passion Play, lots of drama and I have tons of music to MEMORIZE. 2 PERFORMANCES April 9 and 10. So that means now we have 2 hour rehearsals, instead of 1.5.

We did one a few years back in which the choir was all in costume and did the acting too. I was a blind beggar who Jesus healed. When they nailed him to the cross we could hear hammer sounds, then he was raised on a cross. It was so real I got tears in my eyes and choked up, and I was supposed to be singing. The last 2 years we did Last SUpper reenactments.
    The man who wrote the play we did a few years back as the Father of Max Crumm of Grease fame, if you saw that show.

mothermitzi[/Quote]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

Tipping!

Hey Pingo -- I think I agree with a lot of folks here -- Bottom line, a tip is for good service, it should not be given for just doing what you're supposed to. To the DD tippers --- Yes, if you're getting your coffee at the same place at the same time every day, thenter person doesn't need to be "rewarded" for remembering that you're getting a medium regular. its just good customer service, what this nation is sorely lacking nowadays!

Pings how've you been? hope you can drop me a line sometime.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Tipping!

Hi Ken -

The Easter program sounds lovely. As you say, a lot of practice and a big commitment. When I take my father to midnight mass at Christmastime, the music is what makes it for me. I can tell the choir practices and boy, they sing their hearts out.

mothermitzi

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Tipping!

I believe in tipping the clerk at DD...I usually put the change in their jar....but I recently saw the staff remove these jars...I questioned it...They told me that people take off with their tip container so why bother... I agree...Sad state of affairs when this happens.

As for tipping the gas attendant...There is a local town here...Weymouth ...that for some ancient reasoning does not allow self service stations...I know the stations get bogged down with a lot of requests like you, TT, were mentioning. My Mom and Honeys both do what you do TT...and why not? Please check the oil, tires, stuff like that...We do tip those guys...I guess out of a sense of fairness. They do all of this with a smile on their faces, and the neighboring town gas stations don't do any of this.It one less thing I have to worry about sinse I don't drive Moms car.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princessruger1. Show princessruger1's posts

Tipping!

I tip my morning DD cashiers every day - they're awesome!! I have an unusual coffee order, and they remember it and have it ready as soon as I get to the register - fast, friendly, and it's perfect. I also tip the people at D'Angelo's for making my sandwiches just right.

However, I don't tip at every DD or sandwich shop, and I certainly don't tip people who only ring up my order (at least the coffee and sandwich people are actually making you something). The tip jars for people only ringing in your order actually irritates me to no end.

I guess my rule of thumb is that I tip people at places I frequent alot...they remember you and it pays off in small ways.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Tipping!

Bump!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Tipping!

Hello all of you,
    I don't want you to think we are not good tippers. We are actually VERY good tippers,. In some cases to good IMO. However all those tip jars popping up everywhere are driving me crazy. Why do you have to tip for getting a sandwich at a sandwich shop - or a cup of coffee at a coffee shop? You are buying a product and you are paying for it.
    You go to a department store to buy something - do you tip the the cashier for placing your purchase in a bag? I think not.
    You buy a large item - like a washer and PAY for delivery AND installation AND taking the old appliance away. Why do you have to tip the person, who drop it off, install it and take away your old washer? You have already paid for that.
    The last time I had a washer delivered (and paid for installation and ect.) they brought it in - but would not hook it up b/c my pipe had some 'green coating' on it. "You need a new pipe and a plumber Mam". Hmm! Hubby hooked it up, and it has been running beautifully ever since. No new pipe and no plumber needed. But we had already paid for the service.
    They did take away my old washer - and I gave the two guys who brought in my new one and took away the old one $5 each - but they did not look to happy. They looked at the $5 bill fo a while as if it was not enough - but when I did not respond, they finally put it in their pockets.
    This is why I am getting angry at all this tipping craze. It used to be that you tipped only for extra good service. But now every one expect tip, whether the service is good or bad.
    How glad I am, that I am able to pump my own gas.

Sections
Shortcuts