Vitamin-A?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Vitamin-A?

Is anyone out there taking vitamin A, besides what is in your daily "One-a-Day"?

Hubby have his skin itching terribly every year at this time of the year. Humidifiers all over the place does not help. He read that extra Vit-A would cure his problem. Even though, I have always been concerned about taking extra Vit-A - I have been looking for them. Not to be found anywhere over the counter, which make me think they are really not good for you.
    Any advice?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Vitamin-A?

Pingo, what's in your one-a-day is enough.  I share your concern about adding due to the possible toxicity.  However, maybe add more carrots to your winter diet.  Liver is also a good food source.  Something about that sits better with me than taking extra in pill form, although, I know one has to be careful about eating too much liver, too.

What else can really help hydrate winter skin is eating omega-3 fatty acids.  You can take that in capsules, add a tablespoon of flax seed oil (do NOT heat) to yogurt or something else that's cold, eat a serving of walnuts every day, and work in a serving of wild caught salmon (it's pretty reasonably priced at TJ's; you'll find it in the frozen section).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Pingo - Try CVS or Johnson and Johnson  Baby Lotion.  (Not Baby oil.)
        Instead of oils and softeners alone like most hand creams, the baby lotion formula is a little more waxy,  actually prevents some of the evaporation due to dry air  this time of year.  It stays on the skin longer, and unlike greasy stuff, once applied and given 30 seconds, it will not rub off grease onto clothes, so it is great rubbed on the back (with a little Mrs pingo help)  as well as upper and lower arms and legs.

Also, he might want to cut back on soap -  this time of year except under the arms and in the groin, where regular soap cleansing may matter,  he could use Basisor similar super-fatted soap.  Instead of  soap suds to get grime off skin, it is more like cleansing with cold cream,   much less drying.

Excess Vitamin A  and E cause problems.   A single glass more daily of Vitamin D fortified milk  will help, too, replacing what one does not get from the sun this time of year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you Kar and Waggie!
    I knew I could count on my friends at BDC. A good start will be to cut down on the soap. He looks like a man in a bubble bath while showering. I have been thundering for him for years, that he really does not need to soap up that much. He hardly ever sweat. I printed your posts for him and hopefully if someone else tells him, he will listen. Not me nagging. He uses a natural shower gel (which I have to order on line) with aloe and oatmeal especially formulated for dry skin.
    He does take fish oil capsules and eat a helping of almonds every day. Plus Vit-E and One-a-Day.
    I forgot about the Flaxseed Oil. We used to take it some years back, but when Wild Oats closed here, I had a tough time to find it around here. Will start that again. Salmon we eat often and I will boost up our liver intake to once every 10 days or so. Fortunately we both love it.
    I will get the baby lotion for him. Right now we are using Aveeno for dry and itchy skin.
    Will see if all that helps and keep you posted. Thanks again - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Oh Pingo Have I got a tip for you.

Vitamins ADEK are fat soluble. Your body will store these. The water soluble vitamins are the ones you need every day as your body will cleans itself of excess
    I have had this condition. I would advise a fish oil suppliment.Fish oil pills are good for your heart too.  One a day til it clears up, it can take up to a week depending on how long and how bad it is.
    I got this tip from my dentist who happens to be married to my doctor.

sorry just read that he already takes fish oil suppliment. oh well ...i was so excited to have advise..rats

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yes, soap-free cleansers is a great help.  And, so is taking cooler showers, but I can't bring myself to do that in the winter.  Maybe your DH is tougher than I am and can stand the water warm, not hot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GypsySix. Show GypsySix's posts

The only thing about Aveeno is that they test on animals:(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

After only a week things are a lot better. DH cut down on the temperature of the water, the soaping up and is now using the baby lotion. Plus I give him a small bag of carrot sticks to munch on during the day.
    Bonus for me, I have the smell of a baby in the house again. But I won't tell him. LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Bonus for me, I have the smell a baby in the house again. But I won't tell him"

Cute, Pingo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, that's great!  I'm glad he's doing so much better, and I love your secret bonus. :)  Has he tried a soap-free body wash?  They have them for men, or you can get a double whammy of baby scent if he uses Johnsons soap free formula!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Pingo- an  old song from the 1960's

Baby, I'm yours
    And I'll be yours  until the stars fall from the sky,
    Yours  until the rivers all run dry
    In other words, until I die

Baby, I'm yours
    And I'll be yours  until the sun no longer shines,
    Yours  until the poets run out of rhyme
    In other words, until the end of time

I'm gonna stay right here by your side,
    Do my best to keep you satisfied
    Nothin' in the world can drive me away
    'Cause every day, you'll hear me say

Baby, I'm yours (baby, I'm yours)
    And I'll be yours  until two and two is three,
    Yours  until the mountains crumble to the sea
    In other words, until eternity

Baby, I'm yours.

You can serenade your  hubby/baby!

For an encore, there is
    Be my,  Be my baby,    My one, and only.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Waggie,
    Don't know that song, but that is us. Hehe! Thanks for posting it.

OT. Do you know there is a Scandinavian cooking show on TV? "New Scandinavian Cooking with Claus Meyer" I just recently found out myself. Yesterday they were in Greenland (what a gorgeous place), and I couldn't help of thinking of you. Inuit cooking.
    They have already done shows of Sweden and Norway, now they are in Denmark.
    What I loved about this show is, that you see more than cooking. You get a tour of the place and some history as well. Check it out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Pingo, I will see if we get the channel and check it out.  Thank you.

Sections
Shortcuts