Weekday Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi Everybody -

Well, we seem to have two Sunday chat boards running and nothing for weekdays. Seems silly posting on a Sunday board when it's Monday. My internet was down all day yesterday and this morning. Also, my long distance was unavailable. I know it was a Comcast problem as I have a bundle. When I called about it, they could not have been more useless when it came to information. Much more snow here than the initial prediction. However, it is light and fluffy and easy to move. I thought about shoveling my deck. The snow is creeping up the door and I don't like the feeling of being blocked in. Then I thought, I can always go out a window if I have to! The sidewalks along the river are covered again, prohibiting walking. The MDC used to plow the sidewalks. The DCR waits too long and the stretch is all ruts. My indoor bike is getting a good workout.

My pot roast turned out fine. I usually cook it in a crock pot but used a regular roasting pan in the oven. The first hour or so, I wrap it in tin foil. Then I unwrap it and add the veggies. I cover it with a can of cream of mushroom soup and find it makes a nice gravy. I have leftover mashed potatoes. TT got me thinking of potato pancakes the other night. I make mine with leftover mashed browned in butter. Bad, I know, but oh so good!

Putt, hope you had a nice vacation. You haven't said too much about it. You missed a lot of cold temps last week.

mothermitzi

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Weekday Chat

Hello Weekday Chatters,

Mothermitzi, my neighbor who also has Comcast lost her phone and internet yesterday, but when they tried unplugging the computer for a few minutes then replugging it as Comcast suggested, they got both back. Something to perhaps try next time that happens.
    I will not be on the boards much the next few days. We have had an in-law death this morning, and I have been at that house all day. Expect to be there the next couple of days too, as there will be little ones to take care of and phones to answer, and I certainly can help in that way. Such a sad time, you wish you could take on some of the pain for them.
    tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi mothermitzi

Good idea for a weekday board - We had a wonderful time in Aruba - were due back on the 11th but because of the snow, American Airlines cancelled all flights. There were no other flights returning to Boston until the 14th. Never have we stayed ten days but it was wonderful! It was also a considerable amount of extra money and we had no flight insurance. I was also told that even with insurance it was weather related. The only thing we wondered about was why three runways were open and JetBlue and US Air made the trip but American cancelled. Anyway, we enjoyed the ten days and always meet the best people. You know how it is - you start a conversation and the next thing you know we live a town apart, know someone the other one knows, and exchange email addresses.

Hope you are feeling better. We were all concerned about you.

So glad tt is back too. Looks like we have everyone again.

Guess I will have to change the way I do the pot roast. Cooked it again today and it helped some but not really that great.

I have not been to my exercise class in more then two weeks - after all the good food and lovely cocktails during the holidays and vacation it's time I get serious and back on track.

Good to hear from you.

putt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi tt

I was so happy to see you back on the boards but sad to hear about the death in the family. I know you will do all you can for them and will be taking some of the pain away just by being there.

Please keep in touch.

putt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi all, ya a week day board is good. i really feel bad for you guys up there with so much snow this year. Sounds to me like you are getting more than ususal.

As for losing internet, I don't have comcasst. I have heard from my son who is a computer techy that that are not too good. We have the cox bundle and one day when I lost internet my son told me to just unplug and plug it back in an "voila" back it came.

TT sorry about the death in the family/ look for to seeing you back.

mm My wife makes pot roast the same way , crock pot with mushroom soup. mmmmmm

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Weekday Chat

Hello morhemitzy - I didn'; t see your post until now. We had no cable and IT all day today - except for very early morning.
    Funny, you should mention your pot roast. I have made mine in my chockpot for the longest time I remember. But yesterday I tried something new. I cooked it in a duch oven in my oven - on very low. It was the best pot roast ever. Even my hubby and my som commented on how good it was. I guess it is good sometimes to try something new.
    I do not think "they "expected this much snow. Fortunately my Texan son is still here to help us get rid of it. He is a wiz with our blower. Just wish it would be warmer. Just hate to go out these days. Hope your health is all back to normal.
    Best to you - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi tt -

Sad to hear of your loss. You are good to step in and help. It means a lot at a time like this. You and your daughter in-law's family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

mothermitzi

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Weekday Chat

Hello Ken my friend,
    My son is an IT techy too and he tried your little trick - but it didn't
    work this time. He has even thought me how to reset the darn thing - but to no avail. It was all due to the snow - I guess. The street plower just pile up all the snow on my corner from the side street - totally covering my cable box as well as our fire hydrant - sometimes 7 - 8 feet high. The internet and the cable, I could do without if I had to, - but i am worried about the fire hydrant. There is no way they would be able to get to it during in emergency. This time it was light snow, but the past few times it froze into a solid rock.
    Your son maybe right - Comcast could be better, but Verizon is worst - and that is all we have here. My son has Cox in Texas - and he has no problens with it - except for when they have down pours and floodings. I guess no matter what carrier you have, Mother Nature will always create problems.
    Best to you - Pingo

Quote]Hi all, ya a week day board is good. i really feel bad for you guys up there with so much snow this year. Sounds to me like you are getting more than ususal.

As for losing internet, I don't have comcasst. I have heard from my son who is a computer techy that that are not too good. We have the cox bundle and one day when I lost internet my son told me to just unplug and plug it back in an "voila" back it came.

TT sorry about the death in the family/ look for to seeing you back.

mm My wife makes pot roast the same way , crock pot with mushroom soup. mmmmmm[/Quote]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi tt, I am very sorry to hear about your family loss. I am sure they are greatful for all the help you can give them. Will be thinking of you and your family - Pingo

[Quote]

Hello Weekday Chatters,

Mothermitzi, my neighbor who also has Comcast lost her phone and internet yesterday, but when they tried unplugging the computer for a few minutes then replugging it as Comcast suggested, they got both back. Something to perhaps try next time that happens.

I will not be on the boards much the next few days. We have had an in-law death this morning, and I have been at that house all day. Expect to be there the next couple of days too, as there will be little ones to take care of and phones to answer, and I certainly can help in that way. Such a sad time, you wish you could take on some of the pain for them.

tt

[/Quote]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi pingo -

I found it odd that my dsl and long distance would be out at the same time. It was a strange coincidence. I tried calling an out of state friend and kept getting a busy signal. I finally called the operator and she acknowledged there was a problem on the Comcast end. I asked her if she could dial the number for me and she said yes but there would be a $2.49 connection charge! I asked why I should pay if it was a Comcast problem? Of course, she's just a talking head for Comcast and couldn't deviate from the rules. Common sense is out the window these days. My tv cable did not go off - rarely does here.

I have a dutch oven but I don't use it much anymore. It would be good for a pot roast. I used to cook osso bucco in it. You were talking about snowblowers in an earlier post. My father bought a new one about ten years ago. It has an electronic ignition. So much better than a pull starter. Trouble is, it's easy for him to start and this winter, he's been out in nearly every storm. The people across the street have come out and tried to help him with little success. He tries so hard to remain independent, but I'm scared to death he'll fall. My brother has a plowing business, which he's operated on the side for years. He sends one of his guys down to plow and when they arrive, my father has already done it. Stubborn!

Sounds like your son has not lost his snow shoveling abilities, living in Texas and all.
    Bet that pot roast tasted good after a day of shoveling.

mothermitzi

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi putt -

Glad you had a good trip. Three extra days - sounds expensive. However, just a good excuse to drink more margaritas and pina coladas while sitting under one of those huts. I think they are called palapas. I used to go to Mexico a lot. My cousin is celebrating a significant birthday in March 2010 and we're going to Puerto Vallarta. I'm looking forward to it. The airlines will rarely tell you the real problem. They love to blame weather, but how is it that two other airlines were landing with no problem?

I know what you mean about exercise. When I was not feeling well last month, people brought me all kinds of goodies. I know I gained weight, but I'm back on track and riding my indoor bike daily. I vowed not to beat myself up or get on the scale until the end of January.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm feeling fine now.

mothermitzi

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Weekday Chat

My wife is in heaven now, well not literally. We just had delivered and installed a new refrigerator, stove, and microwave. They came with the condo when we bought which makes them 10 years old. Time for new ones. Wew saved a bundle on installtion by having the condo maintenace man install them and in return gave him the old appliances which he can sell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Weekday Chat

tt - I'm very sorry to hear of the death in you family. I am sure your support will be very helpful for them at this time. Take care.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Weekday Chat

Good morning mothermitzy,

You are right - no common sense these days. I think you could have paid for the call and then asked for a credit later. We did that once, when my husband's mother was ill. But it was such a pain to get the credit, it was hardlyworth it. But sometimes I am stubborn, due to the principle.

Today the snowblower repair man is coming to pick up the blower and we are going to have an electric started attached. Apparently it can be done. We used to have someone come and plow us out, but the problem with the plow is, that first of all, they do not scrape all the way down to the hardtop. Secondly, they pack the snow down real well when they keep driving back anf forth over it. Then it freezes to ice that stay there for ever. With the blower, we can get all the way down to the hardtop, and when the sun comes out the rest melts away. So, I do understand why your dad wants to use his blower.

Yes, I also make osso buco in my dutch oven, when ever I can get the veal shanks. Not often. I have sometimes use beef shanks, but the veal is a lot better. My pot roast turned out so well, that I think this is the way, I will do them from now on. It is really not much more work than use the crockpot. I hardly add any liquid when using my crockpot, so I was quite surprised at how much liquid/stock, I had to add before I placed it in the oven. But when done, there was only maybe 1/3 left.

We were supposed to go with friends to a wine tasting dinner in Boston tonight, but with this iffy weather, we decided to cancel that and go some place around here. We haven't seen them for a while and the important thing is just to get together.

Well work is calling, you have a nice day - Pingo

[Quote]Hi pingo -

I found it odd that my dsl and long distance would be out at the same time. It was a strange coincidence. I tried calling an out of state friend and kept getting a busy signal. I finally called the operator and she acknowledged there was a problem on the Comcast end. I asked her if she could dial the number for me and she said yes but there would be a $2.49 connection charge! I asked why I should pay if it was a Comcast problem? Of course, she's just a talking head for Comcast and couldn't deviate from the rules. Common sense is out the window these days. My tv cable did not go off - rarely does here.

I have a dutch oven but I don't use it much anymore. It would be good for a pot roast. I used to cook osso bucco in it. You were talking about snowblowers in an earlier post. My father bought a new one about ten years ago. It has an electronic ignition. So much better than a pull starter. Trouble is, it's easy for him to start and this winter, he's been out in nearly every storm. The people across the street have come out and tried to help him with little success. He tries so hard to remain independent, but I'm scared to death he'll fall. My brother has a plowing business, which he's operated on the side for years. He sends one of his guys down to plow and when they arrive, my father has already done it. Stubborn!

Sounds like your son has not lost his snow shoveling abilities, living in Texas and all.
    Bet that pot roast tasted good after a day of shoveling.

mothermitzi[/Quote]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Weekday Chat

Good morning everyone - hope everyone is doing well. Putt, other than the expense, I can definitely think of worse things than being "stuck" in Arbua. Hope you had a wonderful time. I have only been once, a couple of years ago, and absoblutely loved it. You just can't beat the weather there - and I am not even a "sun" person.

I am definitely "done" with winter - Ken, I am a tad envious of AZ weather at this point! At least I can see the light - as I am going to visit Mom for a long weekend in FLA. Not that it will be hot there, but better than here!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Weekday Chat

GOOD MORNING ladies (I used caps to wake you up :) )

Yes, it is nice and warm here, actually warmer than normal, like 80 yesterday.

But not all of AZ, in Flagstaff they are having a great ski season,wkth about 2 feet of that stuff on the ground

Pingo,
    You let a little weather stop you from going to taste WINE? I thought you were a seasoned New ENglander :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Weekday Chat

Pingo,
    You let a little weather stop you from going to taste WINE? I thought you were a seasoned New ENglander :)

Good morning Ken,
    It must be your CAPS that woke me up. I am usually up very early - but today I slept in. 8:30 for me is very late. We went out for dinner with friends last night and had to go back to the office after wards to print and pick up stuff for a meeting Mr. Pingo has this morning. So it was very late before we got home.
    No Ken, I am not a real New Englander. I am actually a Scandinavian. We have long winters, but the weather is much milder. Over here the wind "kills" you. Maybe I should take up your suggestion and indeed taste some wine - would heat me up and maybe carry me through the rest of the winter.
    I truly don't mind the snow, but when it comes like it has lately every 2 - 3 days and just sit there with no where to put the next 8 inches - then I have enough. I prefer that most of it melts away, before the next storm arrives.
    Usually we have the January Thaw - but we are almost out of January and the next week is not going to be much different. Hoping for a February Thaw this year. - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi mothermitzi

Just got back from exercise class and I feel better already. I went yesterday too and think it's also getting back to a routine and seeing friends again.
    You mentioned the "huts" in Aruba - would you believe people start standing in line at 5:30 am - doesnt even open until 7:30. We never used to bother with them before but the sun seems very hot the past few years. Could be our age! Hate to admit that but years ago we spent all day in the sun and cooled off in the water. So different now.

New bride coming for lunch - think its a good day for soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Was also thinking about peanut butter and jelly but not sure what's going on with the peanut butter scare.

Enjoy your day

putt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi princess

You have no idea how thrilled we were to be able to stay an extra three days. Just kept those frozen drinks coming, added a little more color to the tan, and gained a few more pounds with all the good food. We have been going for eleven years and just love it.
    So good to hear from you.
    putt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Weekday Chat

Pingo said,

"I am actually a Scandinavian."

My wife is a second generation Swede

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Weekday Chat

Good morning ladies. We had rain last night, yes, it really rained in Phoneix. And our wind chimes sounded so pretty. Well it's another day of sitting at the computer. Ah retirement......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Weekday Chat

Good morning Ken,
    It is a gorgeous morning here. The SUN is out. Still cold, but not as much as it hs been lately, and tomorrow we may hit 40.
    I love my wind chimes too. So pretty. It was a gift from my son and DIL, and everytime I hear the chimes, I think of them. No retirement here, my office is calling. Have a nice day - Pingo

[Quote]Good morning ladies. We had rain last night, yes, it really rained in Phoneix. And our wind chimes sounded so pretty. Well it's another day of sitting at the computer. Ah retirement......[/Quote]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi Ken

No rain here but very cold - the sun is shining today so maybe the ice will melt. Bet this makes you feel twice as happy to be in AZ

Did you manage to watch all the inauguration festivities? If not, I am sure your local TV and radio stations plus the newspaper kept you well informed. I will say I have seen a few new presidents in my lifetime but cannot ever remember a crowd like this one for Obama.

putt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Weekday Chat

Hi Everybody -

TT, hope you and your family got through the funeral ok. Tough week weatherwise for a funeral. I've been thinking of you.

Princess, not sure when your long weekend in Florida takes place, but the sooner the better!

Putt, tomorrow I'm going to a low impact aerobics class at my local Y. I took a water aerobics class there before and enjoyed it. Guess I'm feeling a bit stir-crazy with this weather.

Pingo, in the past I have used lamb shanks instead of veal in the osso buco. Can't say that I'm partial to either one, although I can use more rosemary with the lamb and I like the taste. Haven't made the dish for a long time, but it's sounding good to me. Perfect weather for it.

Ken, bet your wife is enjoying her new appliances and you are enjoying the fruits of her labor! Did they regulate the oven temp for her when they installed it? I had trouble with mine last time I switched over.

mothermitzi

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Weekday Chat

MM
    I keep telling the wife, she is such a good cook, that's why I married her
    (of course she was only 18 then)

No adjustment was necessary for oven (it is a whirlpool elec) glass top with self cleaning oven