Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Welcome May!

Oh, yes, I needed to be chastised, my friends, for not making the onion syrup right away.  Again, I was in denial and put it off.  Pingo is wiser than I am making it right away.  Will I ever learn?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came home after enjoying the afternoon, shopping leisurely. What difference it makes, instead of rushing around after work. Costco has loads and loads of flowers and shrubs. Have to bring DH back there over the weekend.
    Also managed Marshall's. Didn't find anything to my liking though. So I got back in my car, drove it few feet down Rt. 1 to Jo-Ann's. Picked up a pattern for a cute top and two different fabrics (on sale) all for less than $20. So, now you know what I am going to do this weekend. I can't wait to get started. I used to have my sewing machine running almost constantly; always a project in the making. But I hate to admit, it has been sitting there becoming quite dusty. Was also looking for a pattern for a pair of linen pants, but I didn't like any of them. Will have to redesign the pant pattern I made some years ago to fit me now. Boy, I will be busy, but it is such a good therapy for me.

BG, I have to agree with Kar. Send your daughter off to Ireland, or she will resent you for keeping her back. You don't need that, as you have more than enough to deal with as is.  Her grand parents must know by now, what is going on and can keep an eye on her. Besides, Kar's advice to set up a support group before she leaves, is such a great advice. I hope it all works out for you.

tt, did you guy finally show up? Hope you are all set for the weekend, and that is was not a major problem.

Ok, off to put away my groceries and start dinner. Stuffed haddock, coleslaw and corn on the cob. That should do it - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a great weekend everyone.  My son has a baseball game tonight and one tomorrow night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If keeping her home had any chance of helping her, I'd advise you to disallow the trip.  It's a tough thing for a mom to admit that she cannot help her child, but you are powerless to do anything other than love her.  Your allowing her to go to Ireland will show her in a much-needed concrete way that you see her as the near-adult she really is.  That will go a long way in your relationship and will impact the amount of influence you will have with her in the coming years just as not allowing her to go will impact your influence negatively. Treating a teen anorexic like a baby, while instinctual for parents, is a big mistake because her problem isn't immaturity.  

Now, I'll let it go before I wear out my therapist's welcome. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    funny winter as I am from Malden and I read the Malden forums.  There is a maldengal on there..  tt and I could not see any pictures that people posted on BDC using Google Chrome, but we could using IE.  Beastgirl still has a problem becoming Pumpsygreen at at times.  Someone having fun at BDC?
    Posted by ambergirl

Or, as Charlie Sheen would say on 2 1/2 men:  "I understand"!

(Replying to your quote at the foot of your posts)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cousin just left.  Had a good afternoon.  Plumber showed up at 11:45, replaced insides, handle and took the tank off and replaced bolts (it was shimmying).  Here 45 minutes, so with the parts and the first $90 should be around $130.  Went to write him a check and he said, "Oh, he'll bill you."  We've christened it quite a few times since then and seems to be working beautifully.

We headed right out for lunch, had delicious haddock dinners.  Then over to Job Lots and Marshall's.  Picked up some more veggie sticks in job lots for $2.00 and a couple of cans of Poppycock (can I say that?) with cashews, $3/each.  Got some more Kaytee's birdseed and a couple of other small things.  Back here to play cards which neither of us has done for a long while.  Boy are we rusty.

P.S. Completely forgot to be on the lookout for you, Pingo, in either Job Lots or Marshall's.  Did you see me?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good news, tt!  That doesn't sound like a lot for a plumber visit, and yay for not needing to replace the whole thing.  Glad you had a good visit with your cousin, too - what a great day.

DH is coming home to a salmon dinner with the first batch of asparagus from the garden this year.  Woo hoo!  He's been picking a few stalks every day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt,
    Good news,tt - glad you don't have to go behind a tree. Even though he was late, it didn't seem, he was one of those guys, you saw on TV.
    I did look for you at Marshall's - my spying eyes were looking for two "middle age" women chatting up a storm. One of them in orange with red glasses and looking like Betty Davis. What time were you there? I was there around 3. I was only in the clothes section today - never made it to the houseware section, where you probably spent your time.
    What a lovely day. Wish it would be like this all year around. So pleasant. No humidity and not hot at all. In fact I needed a light jacket. Wish we could eat out tonight, but it is still too cold in the evening. - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, Pingo, we were in Marshall's at the same time!  Came out of Job Lots at ten of 3 and went right across to Marshall's.  Poked in clothes on our way down to the housewares dept. Poked there and then went over to the skincare section.  Back home here around 20 of 4.  We most likely passed in the aisles!  I, however, would not have known, since I have no clue of what to look for for you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, seriously? 3 o'clock? I would so have loved to meet you and your cousin. The next time, I go to any of the stores you frequent - I will say, "tt?" to all the "middle age" women I meet on my way. They will probably think I am nuts, but that risk I will take to finally get a real chat with you. - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi everybody, t.t., Pingo, how weird is that? What a coincidence! I wanted to post earlier but was unable to get the site, Anyone else had that problem? b.g.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Morning, bg,

No problem here with getting on the site.  This Google Chrome is terrific, except for not getting the turkey pics.  I keep both up and just use Chrome for BDC.

My Gawd, it's cold out there this morning.  What a difference from yesterday.  Just ran to S&S to get some meats in.  Had deplinished my freezer supply.  Picked up an eggplant to make for tonight too, and a chicken pie for tomorrow, along with a pkg of lemon pie filling - pie of the week - this week.

Think I passed Ache with his truck of turkeys, so will have to get over to that site and give him a post.  I'll be around all day for chatting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Isn't it freezing?!   I took Gracie to the town common for the farmer's market for a couple of hours, and I was glad I had my sweatshirt (which was far too warm last week).  We had so much fun!  There were lots of toddlers and other dogs, and she made Mommy proud.  She even allowed me to carry around a coffee and eat a scone, although she did jerk the leash once at an inoportune moment, and coffee splashed up my nose.

I often wish I were closer and could possibly bump into you ladies.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Kargiver,

But, you see, we all 3 could bump into each other and never know it!  Usually when I'm at T.J.'s I do keep my eyes peeled, on the lookout for Pingo, tho I don't know what I'm looking for!  Forgot all about it yesterday tho.

I'm frozen too.  Just made a sandwich of pepperoni, cheese and sliced cucumbers (ala Ireland) and now have the teakettle on for a cuppa.  Trying to put Cheerio on a bit of a diet since everyone said she looked like a raccoon, so she is right at my heels looking for tidbits.

Putting a Crisco stick in the fridge to get cold for the piecrust I'll make later on. My mother always used My-T-Fine lemon pie filling, but S&S doesn't seem to carry that.  Bought Durkee's, hope it turns out as good.  Toyed with the idea of making it from scratch, but only for a moment.  Anyway, the oven being on later, will warm the place up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, baking...good idea.  I think I'll bake something to take the chill off, too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Even though you live far from us, you are still close :)
    Sounds like you had a great morning. Our farmers market (close by) doesn't open until June - but I guess there is not much farmer's stuff available right now anyway. How was your asparagus last night? I am so envious. I love asparagus and was once-upon-a-time contemplating growing them. But when I realized how much space I needed to get a decent harvest, I dropped it.
    How is your cold? Did you start on the syrup?
    I was out watering my deck plants this morning, and got a pleasant surprise. My 7 year old Rosemary, I thought was dead and put back out on the deck last fall, is having new shoots coming up around the old plant. Amazingly it survived this harsh winter. So now it is trimmed and watered and will hopefully do well again.
    It is freezing here too, but we are not going to start the heat. An extra sweat shirt and heavy socks will have to do. Baking seems like a good idea - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I feel close, thanks. :)

I intended to make syrup last night, but it turns out that my huge onion I was planning to use had gone bad.  So, am hacking away with a dry, unproductive cough.  When I go out this afternoon I'll buy a bag of fresh onions and get chopping.

The asparagus was good, but sadly, I overcooked it.  I wanted to roast it, but DH wanted it steamed, and I followed the directions in the book, but it come out mushy.  Grr.  Oh, well, we already have a good start on the next batch, and it's going in the oven next time.

Just tried TJ's smoked turkey kielbasa - DELICIOUS.  Not too salty, perfect amount of smokiness, and not a lot of calories (but you'd never guess it!).

Our farmer's market has more vendors than just farmers so we can open in May and still have a lot to see.  Baked goods, pine furniture, baskets, soap, quilts, etc.  People pay for their spots and they can sell what they want.  Later on, of course, there are a lot of veggies, but we could have our own stand for those.  I usually just go for the social aspect, anyway, and to let people enjoy Gracie - she makes people so happy.  I get a lot of positive feedback about her behavior, too, and I have to admit that makes me feel good.  There are no shortage of comparisons made to "so and so's" lab who isn't so well behaved.  :)

Back to the chores.  The queen is napping, and frankly I'd like to curl up in her crate on her memory foam bed next to her, but the laundry won't fold itself!  And, I have to figure out what (if anything) I'm going to bake.

Have a good afternoon, ladies.

~kar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just threw an apple/pear crisp in the oven.  Had a couple of huge pears and 4 medium apples that  had been in the fridge, and have done the apple/pear combo before with good results.  Now, the hard part, waiting an hour for it to bake and be ready to scoop out!

Have washes to do, but as always proscrastinate going down cellar.  Nice to have the use of this downstairs bathroom in working order again.  There's always the one on the second floor, but again, stairs.

Cheerio sleeps, some guy has broken down in front of my driveway, and I assume has put in a call to AAA, sits there with an older man with the hood up.  Don't knock on my door, don't know you, and won't let you in.

Going to scan over in AllRecipes to see the process of pre-baking eggplant instead of frying it.  Don't want to mess up my stove.  I know I tried it once before but didn't like the looks of the slices, we'll see.

Rainy week ahead of us.  Hope it all gets out of the way before next Sat, G.T.'s bash for partner's  b-day.  I know he has rented a canopy so people can wander outside and enjoy their gardens also.  Wanted to bring food, as did others, but he prefers to do it himself.  Will let me bring a crockpot of the kielbasa/brown sugar, but all other offers went unwanted.  Will probably do an extra large batch of the saltine/chocolate candy - everyone loves that, and he can't possibly object to a huge tray of that to put with the munchies.

Oh, here's AAA.  For Heaven's sake, the guy is walking up to the car with a gas tank - he ran out of gas??  Don't see that happen very often in this day and age.

Kargiver, next time try the chicken kielbasa.  Much tastier than the turkey and much less greasy.  We use it all the time now.  Hillshire makes it and I got 6 kielbasas at S&S last week, buy 1, get 1 free, for the bash. - apple cider smoked.

Got to get those washes in.  The apple/pear crisp will be my reward!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry about your asparagus, Kar. Steaming is ok, but I found that no matter which recipe I look at, they steam them much too long. 4 (for very thin asp.) to 6 (for thicker asp.) minutes is all it takes. We like ours roasted, but when I do steam them, I make sure to take them off, while they are still bright green.
    I agree with tt. The chicken kielbasa taste (IMO) much better than the turkey one. I think you will like it, if you try it.

tt, I always pre-bake the eggplant slices, when I make eggplant dishes. Just brush them on each side with a bit of olive oil, before you stick them in the oven. You can even spray them with the canned stuff (Olive Oil Spray), if you have that in your house. After you brush or spray them, you can even sprinkle seasoned bread crumbs on them, if that is what your recipe calls for. Bake for 10 minutes, turn them (and sprinkle the other side, if that is what you are doing) then bake for about 5 minutes more until the slices are nicely browned. Good luck!
    - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Just saw your Quinoa Chile recipe. Wish I had seen it 2 weeks ago, when our veggie guests were here. Sounds great. DH will love it. One question though - do you actually mix in the cheese in the pot? We usually sprinkle the cheese (and chopped onions) on the top, when I serve chili. Also the red pepper flakes generally needs to be sauteed in a bit of oil to get out the flavor. If you don't do that - you can just as well forego them and use more cayenne pepper.
    I never cared for quinoa, but after your tip washing it well, I will try it again.
     - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Meant to mention, that S&S had some beautiful looking potted floor plants today.  There was a large section of them right in back of the registers, not the usual flower shop area.  Didn't check them to look on the underneath of the leaves, but they were full and bright green.  Seemed really healthy for anyone looking for some.  Worth a look/see.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

chazz in North Shore restaurants (forum) is looking for a good dining spot in Salem/Beverly. Would some of you who eat in those towns please make a recommendation for her in that forum?

Thank you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great tip about the flakes, Pingo, thanks - I had never known to do that but will now.  I mix the cheese right in the chili and also sprinkle some cold on top with sour cream and chopped raw onion, chives, and/or cilantro to garnish.  I don't usually mix any cheese into the hot chili, but for some reason it really adds a ton of good texture to the quinoa version and just isn't as good without it mixed in.  I now add about 3 Tbl of dark beer to it, too.  I've been experimenting.  I'm sure you'll add your own special twists - please let me in on them, OK?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I've tried the baked eggplant now, and much prefer the fried eggplant for the eggplant parm.  Much more flavor.  However, I did save my stove from being messed up.  Only bought a small one which I ate half of, and will freeze the rest for another day.  Apple/pear crisp for dessert (2nd helping) and that rounds out my meals for the day.  Just water the rest of the day for me.

Didn't water the plantings G.T. had put in because I thought we were going to get rain.  It's cleared up a little here actually.  The butterfly bush flowers have opened up a little more, and my wisteria, tho scraggly this year because of all the cutting back, is blooming now too and smelling delicious when you round the corner of the house.  Waiting for the dryer buzzer to go off, and once the clothes are brought up, will change into my robe for the evening.  So much more comfortable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for the tip, tt. Looking for new plants for our office. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    Meant to mention, that S&S had some beautiful looking potted floor plants today.  There was a large section of them right in back of the registers, not the usual flower shop area.  Didn't check them to look on the underneath of the leaves, but they were full and bright green.  Seemed really healthy for anyone looking for some.  Worth a look/see.
    Posted by toytrumpet

Sections
Shortcuts