Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Welcome May!

Sorry to hear of DH's bird death.  A pet is a pet, and I'm sure he feels really bad and will miss him.  Good that you made clear your thoughts on another bird coming into the house tho, he probably would have just come home with another one in the not too far future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, everyone.  I wish I liked birds as pets...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    you do have birds as pets. The ones you feed with your feeder. So you do like birds - just not the shrieking ones.
    Our nephew had a parrot. I couldn't stand that bird. So loud, it was hard to keep a conversation going. He would be sitting on a perch on the dining table with us. Yuck! When our nephew got married, his wife told him that under no circumstances would she allow that bird in their home, so My SIL had to keep him. When my SIL and her DH went for a months vacation, our nephew had to take him. SIL didn't want him back. Less than a year later, he was found dead at the bottom of the cage one morning. Our nephew's wife was elated, and so was the rest of us.
    I think your either like birds or you hate them - no in between. - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Nothing to worry about, Kar.  No sense in trying to be something we are not, right?  You were kind to tolerate her.  Had DH's bird lived to see the day, I would have had serious reservations about it moving in with us once we married.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

As a kid I would have rather had a bird then a puppy.  I'm very allergic to dogs, but I love kittys.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt,
    here is a picture of the finch sack hanging next to our feeder:

It is almost empty. As soon as I filled it, we had 5 finches having a party.

Another lousy day. Ready to go to my office. Chat later - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

just a clarification, I think kar had a parakeet.  Huge difference from a parrot.  Parrots are very loud.  I had 3 cockatiels but they only were noisy when the cover came off first thing in the morning, then they settled down.  I personally liked them.  Each one had their own personality.  My brother couldn't keep his, so that is how I got the first one and then added 2 more.  If someone had told me I would like birds, I would have told them they were crazy.  But they were intelligent and fun.  Very sad when I had to move and couldn't take them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Amber how did Amber and the cats like the birds? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's OK - I noticed, but no matter.  Parakeets are loud, too, although not nearly as loud as parrots and mostly first thing in the morning, too.  I don't mean any disrespect to the pet bird folks, it just wasn't for me.  Oh, and Gracie had to be trained to leave her alone; she is a bird dog, after all, and wanted nothing more to get in there and bring her to Daddy in her mouth as a show of her love.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I had only one cat back then, Maggie, who is now gone.  She was interested at times, but generaly left them alone.  But I know if she could have, she would have had lunch : )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, my sister had 2 parakeets and they were loud all day.  There are so many breeds of birds you can have as pets, but I found I lucked out with the cockatiels.  I would not have gotten a parakeet, so I totally understand and feel your pain with the noise.  Would have driven me crazy..  My sister never did get another one when they died.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for understanding.  Noise has always bothered me accutely.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

Thanks for posting the picture.  I'm surprised the birds don't get their beaks or claws caught in that.  Looks like mesh.  I will look for it the next time I'm in Job Lots, and some seed.  Last time there wasn't any nyger seed available either.

Company is here cutting my grass in the rain!  Good Lord.  

Are you still in work ?  There have been some new postings on the turkey thread. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My parents have one of those seed sacks, and the birds like theirs, too.  They don't seem to have issues with the mesh, but I don't know how.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just threw a coffee cake in the oven, will have a big square with some leftover chicken pie for supper.  Have been dying for something sweet.

Rain looks as tho it has finally stopped here.  Glad I didn't continue on with my errands this morning, had gotten back in just before it started pouring.  Leaves a lot of running around to do tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be in and out between the raindrops.

Stopped to put my nose to the flowering butterfly bush when I came up the driveway, and it smells so sweet.  Waiting to see the butterflies fluttering around it when the warmer weather comes.  Keeping an eye on my oil tank level too.  It's down below half, but these damp days I have to have it on a little.  The house holds the dampness, it seems.  

All out of reading material, waiting for the next book to come in that we'll read in the book group.  First choice wasn't available in large enough numbers, so now our read will be "The Secret Scripture".  Not sure it would be one I would normally pick up, but I'll give it a try.  Mentioned to someone today that if it turned out to be about abuse to children or animals, which I can't read, I would just skip this month.  That apparently is a "no no" when you're part of a book group.

Hope everyone is staying warm this dreary day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mesh it is - couldn't find the right word. The birds have no problem with it. Some of them sit on the feeder and reach over. Looks funny - will see if I can capture it.  Have tried, but those little guys are a lot faster than me and my camera. As soon as I can sit outside mornings, I am sure i will be able to get them.
    I am at work, but just took a break and read the Turkey thread - it is hilarious.
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    [QUOTE]Hi Pingo, Thanks for posting the picture.  I'm surprised the birds don't get their beaks or claws caught in that.  Looks like mesh.  I will look for it the next time I'm in Job Lots, and some seed.  Last time there wasn't any nyger seed available either. Company is here cutting my grass in the rain!  Good Lord.   Are you still in work ?  There have been some new postings on the turkey thread. 
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I appreciate all the thoughts about our bird...it really means a lot that you didn't think poorly of me for disliking having a bird as a pet.  I do love birds and feel bad about her suffering.

Chicken pot pie sounds delicious on this rainy night.  I almost started the wood stove today, but managed to stay warm with tea instead.  DH wants salmon; I think I'll "grill" it in my grill pan on the stove.  I tried www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/olive-oil-poached-salmon-recipe/index.html" target="_blank">poaching in olive oil as per "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" that DH saw and asked me to replicate.  Well, it was OK, but not so good that it justified wasting all that good extra virgin olive oil.  We have a ton of asparagus this time to go with.  I'm roasting it this time with olive oil and lemon juice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar,

I am planning on grilling asparagus next weekend, weather permitting.  I usually only use olive oil and salt and pepper.  Can I grill with your recipe with the lemon?  I love lemon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Feel free, and enjoy!  It's hardly a recipe, though, just squeeze some fresh lemon juice on when they're done. :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Can't believe how cool it is.  We'll be looking for some of this about two months from now.  So much fog in Copley and a very low ceiling.  Walked over to the farmers market today.  Glad to see it's back.  Not much in the line of veggies - mostly greens.  Picked up some rainbow chard and salad turnips.  Couldn't resist the goodie table and came back to the office with a thick slab of carrot cake.  I could have eaten a bowl of the frosting!  Tasted great with a hot cuppa.  
    Saturday, I planted herbs, tomatoes and asian eggplant - all in containers. Have window boxes full of geraniums and a big pot of marigolds - orange and yellow.
    My mandevilla is showing some signs of life, but I couldn't resist buying one in a hanging basket at Mahoney's this weekend.  Also picked up two hanging fuschia baskets for the front of the house.  Haven't put baskets out there because two years in a row they were stolen.  This time, my neighbor made a hole in the hanger and wired them to the hook. We'll see.  My morning glories are coming right along, too.  So, all is good in my little corner of the world. 

My azaleas that bloomed twice last year are in full bloom now.  For some reason, the red variety seems to bloom later.  The purple and pink have gone by.  Tulips and hyacinths are gone, too.

Can't believe it's almost Memorial Day.  If we have a break in the weather, I may take care of the cemetery flowers this weekend.  I'm invited to the cape for the holiday, and I'd like to go.  

kar, sorry about DH's parrot.  Have a nice evening everybody.

mothermitzi    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The broiled asparagus was to die for, and the salmon came out very good, as well.  DH had a banana for dessert; his days of "crying" for cake or ice cream are long over, thankfully.  He's done so well with changing his habits from childhood, and has lost and kept off over 20 lbs in the last year.

mm, thanks for adding your thoughts for DH on the loss of his dear bird.

Salad greens are the only thing in season right now, I think, in this area.  It was so cold today I almost started the wood stove.  Broiling the asparagus warmed it up a bit, and I was cleaning this afternoon so that warmed me up.

Gracie has finally settled down.  She usually flops down around 8:00, but since she's been short on major exercise she's been going to bed later and getting up earlier.  5:30, anyone?

DH is upstairs getting a massage in the magic chair, and I'm about to brew the evening tea. 

Have a great night, all,
    ~kar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Kar, I didn't know it was just squeezing the lemon on the asparagus, I thought it was a special recipe. LOL!  I am so looking forward to summer. I grill everything and I especially love grilling asparagus and corn on the cob.  If the weather is good, I am having DD and a couple of friends over for a small cookout.  I plan on grilling shrimp and london broil.  I can't wait and I am dying for it. 

mm, how awful someone would steal your flowers.  I always wonder how someone could do that and then get enjoyment out of looking at them.  Some really morally corrupt people in this world..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone on this dreary and foggy day. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Winter,

When I first got up around quarter to 8, I swear the sun was out!  Getting progressingly cloudier now tho.  Slept in later for me, and now have to get around to get out and get morning errands done.  I'm definitely a morning energy person and if I hang around until lunch time, I'll never get out.

Have a good day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!  Sun was out and I missed it?  Darn!

LOL, ambergirl - no special recipe, it's just a liberal amount of freshly squeezed juice.  You can't overdo imo; I drown it.

I started the wood stove this morning after freezing all day yesterday.  I bet I know where Gracie will spend most of her day....