Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: Welcome May!

Good morning everyone.   I too am looking forwrad to grilling dinner.  I use the grill all year, but still think its the best in summer.  Especially becuase it keeps the house from getting hot with the stove on.

DH left this AM for a vaca with some friends.  I'll call the rest of the wives later on to make some plans for dinner one night.  His flight was delayed due to fog but has landed safely.  So its just me & puppy dog for the rest of the week.  We have lots planned to keep busy.

Hope you all have a great day, despite the weather.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just got a call from my cousin - she's free today, so I'll go over there and we'll go out to lunch and then run around different places.  More pleasant with someone else's company.

Enjoying coffee cake I made yesterday, with my cup of coffee this morning.  I always feel as tho I need some little sweet after my oatmeal.  Cheerio likes a tidbit too, and sits next to me purring the whole time I'm eating.  No wonder she and I are beginning to look like raccoons!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, I love coffee cake!  I also love pound cake, got that from my mom.  Amber and the kitties love to have nibbles when I have cake.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt,
    Sun out at 8 o'clock? Not here. Are you sure you were awake? LOL
    I am getting so sick of this damp and cold weather, and I saw it is now stretching into Friday as well as possibly Saturday. Rain again next week but warmer.

mothermitzy,
    Happy to hear you still have life in your Mandeville. Just hang in there. Mine are doing well. Already have flower buds. I put them outside earlier than usual, and the cloudy and cool weather have done them well. My purple Azaleas, that bloomed in the Fall, has already come and gone. They were spectacular. Now the pink ones are in bloom and the whites almost there. They are so pretty; sad they don't last very long.
    I love Fuchsias, but they are hard to come by. Maybe that is why people steal yours. Haven't seen any around here yet. Will take a ride to Mahoney's this weekend - thanks for the tip. A friend of ours, that once worked at Lexington Gardens, but now retired - told me they are "old fashioned" and no one buys them any longer. So the nurseries don't carry very many. He was kind enough to save and bring me two every Spring.

Going to the office today. I don't have to make dinner tonight. DH has a hearing to go to. I will just have a bowl of my cabbage soup, which is all made.
    - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, maybe it wasn't the sun, but it at least was bright!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, you haven't mentioned the turkeys lately.  Has the number diminished or have they disappeared completely?  G.T. was asking if you were considering the plastic coyote.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son has had two baseball games cancelled and he's suppose to play Friday.  It's going to be hard getting those three games rescheduled. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I counted 14 this morning @ 5:30. Could be more as the day goes by. I am indeed considering a plastic coyote. But I am afraid it will scare away all the other birds as well. I don't mention them, as you all must be tired of listening to my complaints. But they are a true menace.  I can't believe, nothing can be done. I just HATE them. To the point, I want to throw out some rat poisoning for them. Of course I would never do that; just thinking about it.  - Pingo

Here is a few of them:

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    Pingo, you haven't mentioned the turkeys lately.  Has the number diminished or have they disappeared completely?  G.T. was asking if you were considering the plastic coyote.
    Posted by toytrumpet

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]Well, maybe it wasn't the sun, but it at least was bright !
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

Must be the cabin fever -- causing all of us to be delerious! 

You know it's been relentlessly rainy when slightly less cloud cover looks cheery!  8^)

Talk about looking on the bright side, trumpet!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

So sorry you are still being pestered by the turkeys.  I was hoping the cilantro would help. Is there any way you could put up a temporary fence - chicken wire or something like that?  I know it's unsightly and you have a big yard, so it might be out of the question.

I bought the fuschias at Mahoney's in Winchester.  They are in the main greenhouse.  Turn left when you walk in the front door.  They have the purple and red blooms, also red and white.  They are not cheap.  I paid $29.99 each.  
    People refer to geraniums and marigolds as "granny flowers" these days.  I guess fuschias are in that category, too.  I don't care though because I love them!  I went to Lexington Gardens for years and was so sad when they closed.

mothermitzi

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Just a thought Pingo, and not sure if it is a solution, but would fencing around your property keep them out? I don't know why the plastic coyote would scare away regular birds? Have you researched that?  I also wonder if animal control has any solutions for you if you call.  Just feel bad as that would make me nuts. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too bad about the turkeys not being deterred by the cilantro.  Although, I never read the remedy myself - is it cilantro (the plant) or coriander seeds that are supposed to do the trick?  And, I can see why it would be confusing given the article "a" in the phrase "a few," but it is plural so, "Here are a few of them," is correct.  (For anyone who thinks I'm a freak for correcting our dear Pingo, she genuinely asked me to.  Otherwise, I'd NEVER think of doing such a thing!)  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I wonder if they're like elephants (remember the Liz Taylor movie, "Elephant Walk"?) and for years they have followed this path, perhaps even before your home was built ??  My turtles take the very same path up from the pond, under what is now a chainlink fence, between my house and the house next door, across the street, through that house's yard, and down to the pond area at the foot of that street.  Just a thought.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, I didn't know it was just squeezing the lemon on the asparagus, I thought it was a special recipe. LOL!  I am so looking forward to summer. I grill everything and I especially love grilling asparagus and corn on the cob.  If the weather is good, I am having DD and a couple of friends over for a small cookout.  I plan on grilling shrimp and london broil.  I can't wait and I am dying for it.  mm, how awful someone would steal your flowers.  I always wonder how someone could do that and then get enjoyment out of looking at them.  Some really morally corrupt people in this world..
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

It was unusual.  My neighborhood is pretty safe.  I wasn't the only one, so I think somebody wanted to decorate courtesy of us.  Happened another year with Christmas wreaths.  Five on my street were taken.

Ambergirl, you work over by Seaport, right?  Can you believe the fog today?  I can't see beyond two blocks from the office.

mothermitzi

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi mm, yes I do work near there and I am on the 18th floor.  We can't see a thing!  Regarding the flowers and wreaths, I believe in Karma...  Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Maybe the rain has negated the effect of the coriander (if there was an effect and not just cowinkydink).

Might need to reapply after the rain stops.......if the rain stops.........gurgle gurgle....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Is it the seeds (coriander) or the plants (cilantro) that are the repellants?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Forgot to mention we're back in the bee business - picked up our 3 lbs of replacement bees yesterday from the PO.  I whipped up some Spring feeding syrup, and DH dumped them in the hive and wished them well.  So, here we go, again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

[QUOTE]I counted 14 this morning @ 5:30. Could be more as the day goes by. I am indeed considering a plastic coyote. But I am afraid it will scare away all the other birds as well. I don't mention them, as you all must be tired of listening to my complaints. But they are a true menace.  I can't believe, nothing can be done. I just HATE them. To the point, I want to throw out some rat poisoning for them. Of course I would never do that; just thinking about it.  - Pingo Here is a few of them: In Response to Re: Welcome May! :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

For those of you wondering about the identities of the turkeys in the photo posted by pingo today, they are (from left to right) Happytail, ShebaBaby, Percival, NonnaGobble, and RedStripe

And, yes, all five are still looking for a home/eligible for adoption...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

We just had a deer laying down in the middle of our backyard.  It seemed an odd spot, but probably under all the trees it's probably wetter right now with all the drips coming off the leaves.  Out in the open it's just misting.

Other possibility is that the poor dear deer is depressed -- this weather has to be even more of a drag for them than for us.  Plus, my DH just heard at least one of our local deer sneezing.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]We just had a deer laying down in the middle of our backyard.  It seemed an odd spot, but probably under all the trees it's probably wetter right now with all the drips coming off the leaves.  Out in the open it's just misting. Other possibility is that the poor dear deer is depressed -- this weather has to be even more of a drag for them than for us.  Plus, my DH just heard at least one of our local deer sneezing .  
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

That's really odd, they usually look to bed down somewhere with leaves so that they're somewhat camouflaged.  Is it still there?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Rain, rain, and more rain.  Sounds as tho it's not going to be over until Sunday.  Yesterday was a good day to poke stores.  Went to Peabody Mall and found a top in Macy's, tho I was looking for something with long sleeves.  I'll have to make a last minute decision Sat morning whether it's warm enough to wear to the birthday get together.  My cousin and I had lunch at Legal Seafood and each had a delicious piece of salmon.  It had been years since I had been in that one. It sits at the back of the mall and is easy to forget about.  In Macy's, I had to deal with a giftcard that wouldn't scan - come to find out (when I got home and called the card number), the salesperson when she was taking off the tag on back, scratched the underneath security code numbers right off, leaving only 15 instead of 18 numbers.  I can't stand to have something like that hanging, so ran over to the Macy's on Route 1, up to the Executive Office, and with no problem at all he ran it through and issued a new card to me.  Could have taken care of it in Peabody if I had know what the problem was, but of course, the salesperson was not about to tell me what she had inadvertently done.

Waiting to see what the rain decides to do this morning, as to whether or not I head out for a couple of errands around here.  In the meantime, Cheerio and I are going to sit under lamps to get our sunshine!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting segway, but we had venison last night, a surprise gift from DH's aunt and uncle.  It was delicious, and I was relieved to have not ruined it - I'd never cooked venison and know it can be tough.

My father and his "friend" are visiting for lunch today as they travel from Maine to FL in a U-Haul he rented to take the last of his mother's things that he wanted from her house (which is on the market).  Her buriel was 2 weeks ago, and they flew up for that and then rented the truck to drive back.

The house is already put together aside from breakfast mess, but I need a few things at the store and to put a turkey loaf together.  It'll be nice to use the oven to take the damp chill off.  The wood stove got the house a bit too warm yesterday, and I barely burned enough to get it going.

Got to go put bread on...

G'day, Chatters!

~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome May! : That's really odd, they usually look to bed down somewhere with leaves so that they're somewhat camouflaged.  Is it still there?
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

The deer was only there for 20 minutes or so, but that's what struck me too, tt -- he/she was right in the middle of the lawn with no camoflage at all.  In fact, curled up like that, it looked a little like a giant rabbit out there!  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We  have them here, my nanny friend had 3 right outside her kitchen window a week or so ago, but then she lives next to a wooded area that they seem to use as a path to go back and forth across the street.  When they come into our yards, there is never 1 alone, usually 3, what appears to be a mother and her young.  Perhaps it was a young one separated (temporarily, I hope) from her mother.  Anyway, glad to hear it moved on.