Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: Welcome May!

Good morning everyone.  My son's baseball game has been cancelled for tomorrow.  So now we have to try to reschedule three games from this week. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That won't be easy, I remember from when my boys played ball.  Probably the fields are flooded and they feel they won't dry out enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Winter.  That's too bad about DS's games.  The baseball and soccer fields where I take puppy in the morning are all flooded as well, although I have seen soccer going on this week.  Haven't seen the baseball players in days though. 

My DS is in the same predicament.  They probably can't extend the season into the summer b/c of vacations and such.  Lots of weekend double headers I suppose.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm sure the season will be extended now.  The last regular game was supposed to be on June 4th and than the play-offs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, we were posting at the same time so I missed your post.  How annoying she damaged your card and didn't fess up at the time.  I love Legal's, and they do a superb job with salmon, cooking it perfectly.  Their rolls are to die for, too, and I like that they have a nice fume blanc wine on the "by the glass" menu.  Now I want to go there for lunch myself.

But, of course, I have other plans.  My father just called to say they are running late, though.  I hope they get here at a reasonable lunchtime.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My cousin and I are such novices - the waitress asked how we wanted our salmon done ????  As soon as she asked, "rare?"  I understood what she was saying.  No to that, both of us like our fish well done, not wet.  They did cook it perfectly, it wasn't dried out, and was so sweet and mild.  Served it with a hummus, orzo, pita chips and some kind of a cucumber sauce around it.  The only thing I didn't enjoy was their coffee - OMG, so strong.  We went there specifically for the purpose of getting a gift card for G.T.'s partner for his birthday.  I've been to the restaurant at Coply Place with them, so I know they enjoy eating there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting - apparently, they serve sushi-quality salmon in their cooked entrees.  I also prefer mine cooked until it's opaque all the way through, but if it doesn't have to be it's got to be very high quality fish; no wonder it is so darned good!  A agree about the coffee, and I actually ask them to put 2/3 coffee and 1/3 hot water in the cup.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I actually ask them to put 2/3 coffee and 1/3 hot water in the cup.  

which I will do next time!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    thank you so much for "the lesson". I was actually struggling with it. I was comparing it to "a lot". We say "this is a lot of BS" - not "this are a lot of BS". And what about "a group"? Here are a group of turkeys?
    Re: cilantro. I believe it is the plants, they don't like. I bought a huge bag of the seeds (at an Indian grocery store; they grind them and use them in their cooking) and spread them all over the lawn, hoping they grow into plants. Then I chop up a bunch of it and spread it on the area under the feeder.  I never heard of this remedy, until Icer told me about it. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    Too bad about the turkeys not being deterred by the cilantro.  Although, I never read the remedy myself - is it cilantro (the plant) or coriander seeds that are supposed to do the trick?  And, I can see why it would be confusing given the article "a" in the phrase "a few," but it is plural so, "Here are a few of them," is correct.  (For anyone who thinks I'm a freak for correcting our dear Pingo, she genuinely asked me to.  Otherwise, I'd NEVER think of doing such a thing!)  
    Posted by kargiver

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Friends,
    I do appreciate your "concerns" in regard to our turkeys. They are truly such a pain. For those of you, who suggested a fence, I want to let you know those large birds fly. They can fly quite high up. Like up on the roof f.ex. I am grateful, that they have not been on our roof yet. They are known to roost on roof tops.
    At night they go to sleep in tree tops, in order to avoid predators. We have seen them in our trees 30 plus feet up.
    All this rain may have smothered the cilantro, but I am hoping the seeds will take and I will have small plants of cilantro all over. As soon as we get warmer and dry weather, I will spread another bag of seeds. I am still spreading chopped up cilantro in the area underneath the feeder every day. Haven't seen them there since I started, so it must be working somehow.

tt, sorry to hear about the mess up with your gift card. What a pain to have to go back. You were smart to do it right away. That clerk should have fessed up and spared you another trip.  Legal seafood is always good. And they do a nice job with their salmon. Did you try it with the seaweed salad? If not, try that the next time. Love it!
    Legal has just opened a tree story restaurant in Boston, where Jimmy's used to be. It is cantilevered over the harbor. Must be magnificent and I am sure expensive. There are 3 or four restaurants with different themes. Plus a bar.  And there is a roof top restaurant for summer time, that can be rented for functions.
    I am hoping for you and GT, that the weather will clear up on Saturday. I am sure GT's beautiful yard would  be perfect for a party. Just curious, is your nanny friend going with you? Isn't she a friend of GT?

Winter and November, I feel you pain with the cancelled games. I do remember those days. Once we had double hitters, two days in a row. Only consolation is, it is the same for the other teams.

Kar, cooking venison takes a lot of time. I am glad for you, it came out perfectly. It is tough meat. I get venison from TX son's in laws' ranch. They send me roasts and they send me ground up meat. For the roasts I found the crock pot is the way to go. But I found the best way to use it is ground up. We grill it as burgers. I use it for tacos and chili.  Or I mix the ground meat with half pork and get the best meat loaf or meat balls ever.

Better get going. My office is calling - have to do the payroll today. Stay dry!
    - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Group is singular because it is always one thing (a group, a gathering, a bunch) that is comprised of more than one object.  (A bunch of bananas is in the tree.)

"A lot of" is a synonym for "many" and is, therefore, plural.  You cannot say, "Many thing is."  It always has to be, "Many things are," and so it is with "a lot of."  (A lot of bananas are in the tree.)

There are a lot of (many) turkeys in my yard. 
    There is a group of turkeys in my yard.

There are two groups of turkeys on my property.  One group is out front and another group is out back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I actually ask them to put 2/3 coffee and 1/3 hot water in the cup.   which I will do next time!
    Posted by toytrumpet

And, I ask them to bring hot water to the table (like they do for tea) so when they give me a refill I can fix it myself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh I forgot to mention.  Last night I prepared beef stew and let it cook all night.  I woke up to this great aroma.  I am eating it now for lunch.  YUM!!
    Pingo, I'm sorry about your turkeys..they would definitely freak me out.
    I love Legal's too. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've thawed out some hamburg for a meatloaf tonight, with baked potatoes.  Just got back in and it's much warmer and trying to dry out.  A much brighter day here.  I have hopes for Saturday.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I just made meatloaf with baked potatoes and mixed cooked greens for lunch with my father and friend.  We had tea and plain cut up watermelon for dessert, and they just left after a nice visit.

There's nothing better than getting up or coming home to the smell of slow cooked stew, one of the joys of the crock pot.

I could use a nap...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That was nice to have them there for lunch.  I'm sure they appreciated the home cooked meal and hospitality too, before they start on their drive back.  I just popped my meatloaf in the oven, an hour will be quarter of 5 and I don't think I can wait much longer than that!  Picked up some ham and cheese and nice soft rolls when I was out, and had a ham, cheese, pickle sandwich for lunch.  Usually when I'm at home my lunch every day is a salad, so this was a treat.

Just had to pull up the blinds in here, to be sure what I was seeing - little cherry tree is full of sparrows and they're getting something from the blossoms, and then jumping down to the garden below. - LOL, there's a chipmunk in the crook of the tree now, must be something there they're all enjoying.

It's clouding up here again, and the sky is getting grey.  Probably more showers coming through.  It was nice to see the sun for a few hours.  Wish someone could bottle the smell of the butterfly bush, I love it.  Pause everytime I am going to or coming from the car, cup a blossom in my hand and inhale - love it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It was as much a joy for me, tt.  They had to add 2 hours to their trip to visit me so I really appreciated it.  And, as a bonus, dinner is about done for me and DH.  Have to put together another veggie...we ate all the greens.

We also enjoyed a few hours of sunshine and were able to walk around the property a bit; she specifically asked if we could go smell the apple blossoms.  Now, like you, we have clouds, again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Group is singular because it is always one thing ( a group, a gathering, a bunch) that is comprised of more than one object.  (A bunch of bananas is in the tree.) "A lot of" is a synonym for "many" and is, therefore, plural.  You cannot say, "Many thing is ."  It always has to be, "Many things are," and so it is with "a lot of."  (A lot of bananas are in the tree.) There are a lot of (many) turkeys in my yard.  There is a group of turkeys in my yard. There are two groups of turkeys on my property.  One group is out front and another group is out back.
    Posted by kargiver

The word "group" (like the word "flock" or "jury" or "team") i a collective noun, ie, it names a quantity of individuals or things in singular form. In American English, a collective noun generally takes a singular verb

example: The group of wild turkeys is ripping up pingo's lawn

In British English, it's the opposite: A collective noun generally takes the plural

example: The group of turkeys are ripping up pingo's lawn

Okay, end of lecture

If I have managed to confuse/enlighten anyone today, then Ive done my job...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm teaching (at Pingo's request, mind you) American English usage exclusively.  Brits wear their wedding rings on the wrong hand, too. ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Interesting segway
    Posted by kargiver

You mean "segue"

"Segway" is the name of the ompany that makes those 2-wheeled transportation vehicles:)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Brits wear their wedding rings on the wrong hand, too. ;)
    Posted by kargiver

Do they? I didnt know that. Interesting

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

tt, we were posting at the same time so I missed your post.  How annoying she damaged your card and didn't fess up at the time.  I love Legal's, and they do a superb job with salmon, cooking it perfectly.  Their rolls are to die for, too, and I like that they have a nice fume blanc wine on the "by the glass" menu.  Now I want to go there for lunch myself. But, of course, I have other plans.  My father just called to say they are running late, though.  I hope they get here at a reasonable lunchtime.
    Posted by kargiver

Googled Macy's and they have a "tell us about your experience at one of our stores" section.  I did, succinctly, and said I thought it was poor customer service on the part of the sales person who had waited on me.  She knew very well what she had done, and didn't give me the option to have it corrected while I was there, at that store.  Wait and see now if I hear from them.  She wasn't a newbie, an older woman who I have seen in that department for many years.  Just didn't want to be bothered, there were a couple of people in line behind me.  My hope is that they remind their employees the rules of customer service.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome May! : You mean "segue" "Segway" is the name of the ompany that makes those 2-wheeled transportation vehicles:)
    Posted by AcheNot

Oops, thanks!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome May! :... My hope is that they remind their employees the rules of customer service.
    Posted by toytrumpet

I hope your thoughtful effort does pay off.  That kind of behavior isn't something I think they'd want to tolerate.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Actually, there is no right or wrong hand. In North America you wear yours on the left hand, but in most of Europe we wear it on the right. So for us, you are the ones wearing it on the "wrong" hand - LOL.  Some cultures don't even wear a ring.
    In my country we don't get diamonds or other stones for our engagement ring. Both men and women get the gold band and wear it on the left hand until they  say the vows. Then the groom and the bride transfer it to each others right hand. This way one can see if a couple is engaged or married.
    I didn't get "my diamond" until my 25th anniversary. If I had never gotten one, it would not have mattered what so ever. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Welcome May! : Do they? I didnt know that. Interesting
    Posted by AcheNot

Sections
Shortcuts