Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Welcome May!

Glad to hear your pool is open and ready, Winter.  I'll bet your DH is ready for a jump in tonight also!  Now starts the season of your "casual living".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes tt.  We are all ready for a jump in the pool.  I remember you mentioned that your son stocked up on beach towels from Christmas Tree Store.  I went Saturday and they were $2.99 I got 4.  Thanks for the tip.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, I was curious as to the blackberry recipe I referred to, and so looked through my recipe boxes and also the large baggie where I keep a lot of clipped ones.  I seem to remember going through these same files a few months ago, purging some I felt I wouldn't make again, or ones that perhaps now didn't appeal to me enough even to try, and I think the blackberry one was tossed, because of how seedy it was.  I did find one I had clipped, whether or not I ever have tried it, I don't know, because there are no notations written in the borders - one called a Summer Berry Crisp.  It looks like it was torn from a newspaper, perhaps even the Globe.

It calls for 2 cups each of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Combine and place in a buttered 9" pyrex pie plate. 

For the topping:
    1 cup oats
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup sugar pinch of salt
    1/2 (1 stick) cold butter cut into small pieces.

Work the topping ingredients together until they resemble coarse meal.
    Sprinkle evenly over the berries.
    Place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake in the center of a 350 oven about 1 hour or until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
    Remove to a rack to cool slightly then serve in dessert bowls with whipped cream or ice cream.

Just offering it in case it might be something you would like to try.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Novem, like your idea of napkins rolled and tied with a dental floss bow!  I can actually see that!  Problem is, it might encourage someone to start flossing while seated at the table - ugh - what a disgusting mental picture that is!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that crisp sounds delicious. I love crisps more than pies. But I just rang it up on my calculator. With today's rate with 2 cups of each of the berries - it would cost about $26 to make it (not counting the topping), unless you like Kargiver has your own berries. Think, I will go for apple, pears or rhubarb instead. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I  just put it out there for anyone that might be interested.  Frozen berries could always be used also.  Much cheaper and they'll be cooked anyway.  My blueberry pie that I made with frozen berries was just as tasty as the fresh berries would have been and was much cheaper.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I agree with you. Frozen berries are just as good. I was just shocked at the price with fresh berries. Still even with the frozen berries, it is not going to be cheap. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    [QUOTE]I  just put it out there for anyone that might be interested.  Frozen berries could always be used also.  Much cheaper and they'll be cooked anyway.  My blueberry pie that I made with frozen berries was just as tasty as the fresh berries would have been and was much cheaper.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Want a Tuesday, last day of May laugh?  I wasn't able to post the other correct name for donkey, so you'll have to interject it yourself as you read -

The Pastor entered his donkey in a race and it won.  He was so pleased that he entered it in another race and it won again.  The local paper read:
    PASTOR'S "DONKEY" OUT IN FRONT

The Bishop was so upset with this kind of publicity that he ordered the Pastor not to enter the donkey in another race.  The next day the local paper headline read:
    BISHOP SCRATCHES PASTOR'S "DONKEY"

This was too much for the Bishop so he ordered the Pastor to get rid of the donkey.  The Pastor decided to give it to a Nun in a nearby convent.  The local paper, hearing of the news, posted the following headline the next day:
    NUN HAS BEST "DONKEY" IN TOWN

The Bishop collapsed.  He informed the Nun that she would have to get rid of the donkey, so she sold it to a farmer for $10.  The next day the paper read:
    NUN SELLS "DONKEY" FOR $10

This was too much for the Bishop and he ordered the Nun to buy back the donkey and lead it to the plains where it could run wild.  The headline the next day was:
    NUN ANNOUNCES HER "DONKEY" IS WILD AND FREE

The Bishop was buried the next day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

haahaaa... that was a good one, tt!  Bishop scratches Pastor's Donkey!  Laughing Haahaaa!!

.... and I agree about flossing at the table.  Yuck!  One would certainlyhave to explain the little joke before anyone got ideas of thier own!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm glad you found it funny, Novem, I was getting ready to erase it, thinking noone else had the same chuckle I did when I read it.  Of course it does lose something when "donkey" has to be substituted.  My personal favorite was "Nun sells Donkey for $10"  - Oh, and I like, "Nun has best Donkey in town".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, I find you courageous! I got that e-mail a few weeks ago and laughed my head off. But I was too timid to post it on the forum. Besides I didn't think, they would let me.
    I did laugh my head off again reading it. Thanks for posting it - I am sure our friends love it. - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

SealedI loved it tt.  I love all humor! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

A good donkey joke is never in poor taste, imo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I wouldn't ASSume it is in bad taste either....  Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

We're over in "June Chat", ladies - - 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oops!  Thanks tt!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I know we are in June tt, but I loved the joke.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    [QUOTE]A good donkey joke is never in poor taste, imo.
    Posted by Novembride[/QUOTE]

well, as long as you're still here, I'll add my two cents worth;

True, afterall, they do come in ASSorted shapes and sizes - - -