Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: Welcome May!

Good morning everyone. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Friends!  Hope you all had a good weekend.  We had a glorious time and I'm back safe - lots to catch up at work, and here.  Will chat as soon as I can.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, ladies.

Welcome back, Nov!  Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing all about your vaca.  Hope you are relaxed and rejuvenated (and that it lasts 'til at least after noon!).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Welcome back Novem.  Can't wait to hear about your trip.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well Pingo, I guess the name of the store you couldn't think of where you bought the nyger sock, wasn't Job Lots.  Must have been CTS.  Had to return my bird stickers to B&N this morning (weren't at all what I had wanted), and popped in Job Lots on the way home.  Got some Wagner's seed (7lbs. $6.99 - same equal price as 5lb. $4.99 at S&S so picked it up while I saw it).  CTS is not one of my favorite stores, so that goldfinch will have to satisfy himself with whatever he's already finding in the yard that keeps him around.

Stopped in S&S for some fresh salad makings.  There are 2 eateries now open next to Verizon and boy the parking lot there was jumping.  Glad to see some business make a go of it there.  S&S was busy as heck too.  Glad I could scoot out the 12 items checkout.

My oldest granddaughter's (Lilly's mom) birthday is today, so put in a call with my "Happy Birthday" song.  I had found and sent a cute card - she has a good sense of humor and I can always send something referring to what a spoiled brat she was as a kid, without her taking offense!  Got a cute mother's day card for her, says, "Good mothers let their kids lick the beaters"  open it up  "but Great mothers turn the mixer off first"!!  She'll get a laugh.  She said Lilly and Papa had made her a birthday cake and it was upstairs cooling.  She didn't know what flavor it was but that the house smelled so good.  My son usually makes her a carrot cake from scratch, her favorite.  I have to remind her sometimes what a good dad she has, he stepped in as a stepfather when she was six.  On days like today tho, she readily admits she has a great dad.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that card sounds great. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a late start stew simmering.  I'll have to hold off supper an extra hour or so.  Bought a loaf of Italian bread to go with.

Guys must have come to mow the lawns while I was out this morning.  No sign of the robin, or any birds for that matter.  Guess they all took to the trees til things quieted down.

Ran into a lady in the S&S who told me of a house going up for sale in the neighborhood - the gentleman who I used to see walk , walk , walking all day has gone into a nursing home with alzheimers.  God spare me.  

Meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow in Swampscott.  She has a couple of places in mind, and I have a couple of places I want to check out for that one last little something for granddaughter's birthday bag.  Hope the rain holds off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

I had a 6" metal sleeve put around the branch that tightened with set screws.  The branch is full of buds and leaves now but it still hangs down lower than it should. My SIL told me he would try tying this branch to one higher up in the tree so the branch could straighten out.  We'll see.  

mothermitzi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

mm, bless your SIL. That is really a great idea. I am happy you spared the branch and the lop-sided tree. With the leaves and the buds it has taken and is still very much alive. You can indeed "train" it so it will straighten up. I have to do that with my 6 foot Hibiscus, I grow inside. No matter how much I turn it so it gets light on all sides - it want's to lean to one side. Every so often, we have to dig up the dirt around it and pull it to the non leaning side. Then stamp the dirt real well on the leaning side and tie it up to stakes. It works for a while, but it really has it's mind of it's own.- Pingo

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    [QUOTE]Hi pingo - I had a 6" metal sleeve put around the branch that tightened with set screws.  The branch is full of buds and leaves now but it still hangs down lower than it should. My SIL told me he would try tying this branch to one higher up in the tree so the branch could straighten out.  We'll see.   mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I am sad you didn't get your "sack". If the store next door to Target is called "Job Lot" - that is where I bought mine. It was displayed with all the seeds and such. I little tiny thing, you may not have noticed. Next time I have to go to Target, I will stop by and look for it. But other stores do have it as well. I am sure the Wild Birds must have it - but maybe not for $1.00.
    When I came home today, the turkeys were up on my railing and deck. Not so good, when you feed birds. The small birds are afraid of them (so am I, they are huge and can attack you). If anyone have advice, for how to do to get rid of them, I will listen. I know, it is illegal to shoot them, but I am almost to that point. - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just posted this in the gardening thread...We plant cilantro at the end of our raised bed garden and the turkeys hate it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

[QUOTE]Thursby, MIL = mother-in-law
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

Thanks, plank

Mother-in-law, huh?

Never would have guessed that in a million years

Gee, and people wonder why I call you reindeerplank...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

[QUOTE]Reindeer, Don't you think he already knew? He just needed a way to get in his version. - Pingo In Response to Re: Welcome May! :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Now do you understand why I call her reindeerplank??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Actually, no I don't. Please explain - Pingo

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome May! : Now do you understand why I call her reindeerplank??
    Posted by AcheNot[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

pingo:

She is "daft as a plank" or a "daft plank", which is a Brit expression that basically means soft in the head

Hence, reindeerplank ("plank" for short...)

She is an intelligent woman, literate, and well informed. I know this because I have read many thoughtful messages she has posted in response to Globe articles

But for some reason when dealing with me, she is either aggressively random or way off-the-subject or so non sequitur or, as her message to me earlier today indicates, just plain daft

The situation is so bad now, I had to bar her permanently from RoyGBiv Appreciation Day, a fun event I stage every year, kinda like Pingo Appreciation Day only it's for RoyBiv, not you...

Last year on the RGBAD, she became such a distraction I had to have my security team physically remove her from the premises

Not good...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I really thought there would be a helpful article from Ache regarding "How to Get Rid of Turkeys".  Hmmm.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Free day - my friend called last night asking if I would mind changing our day together, friends of hers from Fla were up and getting together with others for lunch today.  Fine with me, not supposed to be so nice weather-wise this afternoon.

Did I tell you all about the follow up events of my tree cutting?  Week before last a tree cutting service truck stopped in front, a man dressed in appropriate tree cutting gear came to the door and politely gave me his card.  I said, "Oh, I've had some trees cut by your company."  The conversation went on to descriptions of the previous truck/equipment/man who did the work, and he said, "He used to work for us.  Got ahold of some of our business cards/invoices, and has done a lot of work in this area portraying himself as one of our workers. He travels with his own crew."  Even tho I had gotten a very good price, I had recognized at the time they were a motley crew, and I now consider myself very lucky that no-one got hurt or that there were no damages.  The card and invoice he had given me stated they were licensed and insured, but of course, it was the company that was, and if he didn't work for the company any more, he most likely wasn't.  I told this story in more detail to the girls when we got together for lunch, and we ended up howling (we could because it had a happy ending), because here we consider ourselves savvy ladies, and this was clearly the typical "old lady scam".  What made me think of it this morning, was a paving truck that stopped in front of the house for a few minutes and then went on to another site.  My driveway definitely needs repaving, but from now on I'll thoroughly check out any company stopping by to do work, before hiring them. I knew better at the time, the change in company names was a red flag (he had stopped by in the Fall and left a card with a different company name) and the fact that they traveled with no chipper or cherry picker.  But he was a fast talker.  Homeowner beware.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildlife/facts/birds/turkey/turkey_conflicts.htm                                                                                                                                   Hope this helps.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  tt, how was the stew?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Good morning everyone.  tt, how was the stew?
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Well, I ate it, but I had let the meat catch on a bit (I like to think of it "browning a bit too much"!) and even tho I recognized what had happened, instead of starting fresh with the meat in a clean skillet, I continued on.  A bit of a burned taste in the liquid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've made the mistake of scorching garlic in something and not starting over - now that is a real mistake, lol.  Too bad you tainted your stew a bit, though, tt.  I'm sure it was still good.  I don't mind burnt meat taste, actually.

I had to figure if Ache knew "-in-law" he had to have known it was "mother."  I told him I was fair game for teasing so what better topic than my in-laws?  The fact that I mention my engineering career no less than 100 times a year was getting stale, right, Ache?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, it may still come.
    It is not amusing at all to have a flock of turkeys taking over your property. They are such a menace. A few I could deal with, but there has been up to 25 at the time. They are ruining our lawn, our flowers, our few veggies we grow. Not forgetting to mention the  mess their poops make on our patio and deck.
    It is not the bird feeder, that attract them - we had them years before we put that one up.
    Maybe I should take Icer's advice and grow coriander instead of grass.
    - Pingo

[QUOTE]I really thought there would be a helpful article from Ache regarding "How to Get Rid of Turkeys".  Hmmm.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Time to throw out, you think?  Actually, these dead pink tulips look a little exotic like an orchid, don't you think?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning chatters. Catching a quick breath between tasks.

So, about Savannah - it was the most beautiful place I have ever been. Just a pretty city, built around a series of green squares (parks) and lined with enormous oak trees and hanging moss. We stayed mostly in the historic district.  There was sooooo much to do and we hit everything on our list, and then some.  The food was excellent and the weather was perfect (mid 80s and NO humidity!).  Pictures to follow soon, I promise.  Maybe tonight since I uploaded them this morning (at home) to order prints.  The plan is to create a scrapbook of the trip for my mother to give to her Sunday (in all my free time, ha haa) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Looking forward to seeing the pics.  Remember thinking how beautiful an area that was when I watched the movie, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."