Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: Welcome May!

I'm reading the book right now, tt, and plan to watch the movie after.  I picked it up down there and got through about half between time at the pool and on the plane.  I'm gald I read it after I went because I can visualize all of the places and really feel like I am in the story. What a cast of characters!

Did Kevin Spacey play Jim Williams?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes and he was WONDERFUL!  Love that movie.  Have seen it many times and bought the book as well, which I reread once a year.

John Cusack played the reporter and his performance was almost as equally good.  A whole list of colorful characters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I thought your pic was of orchads at first.  They must have been spectacular tulips!  Is that a fruit tree in the yard?

Nov, I've never been to GA other than to pass through on 95.  Sounds lovely!  Looking forward to your pics.

25 turkeys, Pingo?  Gracie scares off our neighborhood turkeys, but getting a dog wouldn't be as practical as planting a coriander.  I've been cooking with that a lot since you posted your curry chicken.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, that's my non fruit bearing apple tree.  We keep it around for decoration and a place for the birds to land before and after feeding.

Thought the article Robin posted site to was very interesting and informative.  It listed other distractions that would deter turkeys too, only problem is that they might scare away the birds she's trying to attract.

As for my "orchid" tulips, yeah, I kind of like the look, haven't tossed them yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lovely tree, tt, beautiful.  And, I'd keep the flowers, too, and pretend they are orchids 'til they look bad. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This is  picture of my blooming pear trees. They are non-fruit bearing, but have tiny "pears" the birds love.

And this is a tom chasing and strutting his feathers for a young female turkey.

Please notice, how they have ruined our lawn. They pick up large clumps looking for grubs and worms.
    When I went out to take a picture, there were at least 15 of them, but they scattered, when I came out on the deck.

- Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nice pear trees, Pingo, I love how they flower.

Your turkeys are a real nuisance, indeed.  I hope you can get rid of them this year!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Do you have anything to lose by taking Icer's suggestion and planting clumps of cilantro here and there around the perimeter of your property?  Would seem to me to be the least expensive and least intrusive of deterrents to try.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I read the article that Nov posted...I know the turkeys don't like the cilantro but what I didn't realize til after I read the article that it must really help that we as a neighborhood do this...The more times the group finds whatever it is that they are looking for..the more you will get them(turkeys) We have done this for a couple of years and now..as a matter of fact just this past weekend, we were mentioning how they don't come down here anymore...but they are still around..just not in our neighborhood

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I am seriously considering it. Around the perimeter and several places in btw.
    Could definitely be done. Want to come and help me plant about 50 pots of Cilantro?
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    [QUOTE]Do you have anything to lose by taking Icer's suggestion and planting clumps of cilantro here and there around the perimeter of your property?  Would seem to me to be the least expensive and least intrusive of deterrents to try.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Guacamole at Pingo's!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Guacamole at Pingo's!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

You are funny and so quick!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]tt, I am seriously considering it. Around the perimeter and several places in btw. Could definitely be done. Want to come and help me plant about 50 pots of Cilantro? - Pingo In Response to Re: Welcome May! :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Yes, I will.  Actually just setting the pots out here and there to begin with might give you an idea if they are going to work.  You could then gradually plant a few each day.  What do you think, Icer?  Do they need to be put in the ground immediately?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Once in awhile I can pull one off. Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Please come and help yourself. Now, how do you grow avocados? On a second thought Kar, you and your DH can supply them growing them in your green houses, and we will be all set.
    Maybe I can set up a booth at a Farmers Market: Cilantro/Coriander for free - come pick your own! LOL
    - Pingo

[QUOTE]Guacamole at Pingo's!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just put a sign at the foot of your driveway:

PICK YOUR OWN CILANTRO - at your own risk

Then, the next time you have a brunch I'll be able to find your house!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Our Cilantro comes back every year...This is kind of funny because we were all( as a neighborhood) talking about this over the weekend..but we still see the turkeys everywhere but they stay out of our neighborhood.

It was the last straw for me last year when two Mother turkeys had their collective brood(about 15) chicks and they were teaching them how to fly using a stone wall and our bedroom roof. They whole time they were deficating everywhere...That was it for me!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OMG, what a mess that must have been.  I know they are vicious (hence "PICK YOUR OWN CILANTRO - at your own risk"), last year one chased my teenage granddaughter when she was walking the dog (not the mastiff!), and she had to literally pick the dog up and run home.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

http://ihatecilantro.com/

One of my favorite websites!  Guess turkeys must have the enzyme too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

They DO look like orchids, tt!

:)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

And pingo's pear trees look fabulous!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]They DO look like orchids, tt! :)
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

I know - you know what they remind me of, is, have you ever seen those delicate glass flowers that you can purchase one or two and put in a single vase?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, we'll try avocados if we ever get the green houses up, and I'll bring a bushel over when I risk my life for some of your cilantro, Pingo.  Sounds like a plan. ;)

Icer, that's positively disgusting!  I can't imagine 30 chicks worth of p00 on and around that wall.  And, the noise outside your bedroom window, too!

They can be crazy agressive, I know.  I worked at a company in Needham that had a huge turkey who attacked people in the parking lot.  And, he wasn't too bright - he pecked at his own reflection in peoples' cars, too.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

PICK YOUR OWN CILANTRO - at your own risk!

tt, you are too funny. You made me laugh - even though it is not a laughing matter for us. Hope for all my dear chatter friends will never have to deal with this.

Did buy a pack  - a large one - of cilantro seeds today. I am going to spread them around my lawn. Will just have to wait and see.
    - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Chatters,
    You are making me feeling a bit better. Truly it is not a laughing matter, if you have ever endured something like this.
    Is was raining, so I went out and sprinkled my cilantro seeds, wherever I could - thinking it would give the seeds a good start.  Hope it works - will keep you posted. Then I had some fresh cilantro in my ref. I chopped it all up and sprinkled that too. Can you tell, I am desperate?
    My guy, who is working in our yard these days, tells me he had to run for his life yesterday and sit in his car until a large tom went away. It even pecked on his car window.
    Yes, I am ready to get a BB gun and shoot each and every one of them. But of course I know better. - Pingo