Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Re: Welcome May!

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    [QUOTE]I really thought there would be a helpful article from Ache regarding "How to Get Rid of Turkeys".  Hmmm.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

trumpet:

As you know, there has been a turkey running around in this forum for nearly three years that pingo has been unable to chase away no matter how hard she tried. Finally last month she sued for peace...

Against 25 of them, I suspect she is a little overmatched, dont you think? But good luck to her

PS I picture pingo lying vigilant in a field of cilantro, guarding her estate, musket in hand and wearing a pilgrim hat, ready to KAPOW any/all turkeys that dare trespass her property. She may be overmatched in this thing, but at least she is putting up a fight

Go, pingo!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    [QUOTE]  The fact that I mention my engineering career no less than 100 times a year was getting stale, right, Ache?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Just 100? Is that all?

Seems more like 1000 to me, but okay. I dont keep an official tally...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Pingo, I went into the MA Wildlife website to see what info they had on wild turkeys.  There is a hunting season on them, I was surprised to see, and as for problems with them, it says to contact your MA Wildlife District Office.  The article offered much the same info as the one posted in Hats' site, and the info given by Icer, mainly to be vigilant in keeping all birdseed cleared up underneath your feeders - make a lot of noise, not being afraid to scare them away, even to go so far as to squirt water from a hose at them.  Seems like you'd have to give up your life to sit on your deck and bang pans, squirt hoses, and wave brooms at them, so if I were you, I would check for the district office number and give them a call.  For the population overload you're getting, perhaps they have other suggestions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The black walnut tree in my yard is just starting to leaf out and form the kernels of its nuts.  The squirrels perform delicate balancing acts on the very thinnest of branches to reach and eat these nuts while they're in their softest stage - -

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cool photo, tt - squirrels are quite the acrobats.  We have a black walnut tree, too, but it's not mature enough to produce nuts yet.  I wasn't planning on sharing them with the squirrels when it does...

Ache, 1000?  I was being generous with 100, and you know it!

I've got a hot stone massage at my chiropractor's office today (not officially part of treatment), and I cannot wait!  Have any of you tried one?  Oh, goodness, I better get ready, I have to leave in 40 minutes.

Have a great day, all,
    ~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A huge, beautiful very old black walnut tree graced the front of my great aunt's house in Maine.  When she allowed G.T. to carefully dig up a slip, she said, "Don't plan on getting any nutmeat from it.  The shells are so hard and the amount of nutmeat so small, that it's not worth the effort.  I let the squirrels have them."  When ours had its first/second batch, we hammered the shells open, and dug out miniscule bits of nutmeat with a little pick that you get with a nutcracker tool set.  Believe me, it is NOT worth the effort.   I know you'll have to try yourself, but - - - - you'll see - - -

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Happy Cinco de Mayo all...I better break out my Patron, This is the only day of the year I drink it..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's not on my calendar - what or who is Cinco de Mayo?

ETA:  That's alright, I'm getting ready to go out, so googled it.  Happy Cinco de Mayo to you too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Cool tree picture tt.  Pingo, I'm so sorry about your turkeys.  I would definitely call the wildlife people.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for "5th of May," and is Mexico's celebratory remembrance of their freedom from the French occupation.    So raise your tequila glass or Corona and lime and celebrate with our southern neighbors. :)

Didn't get my massage.  Long, boring story that boils down to a big misunderstanding.  Oh, well, it saved us some money.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Too bad about the massage...maybe next time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Winter.   I wasn't too sure about the hot stone thing, anyway.  Anyone here have one before?  The lava rocks are supposed to s ck out "bad energy"...odd sounding, huh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Very Zen like Kar....

Innocent

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I know I'm late to the game today, but OMG, Kar you MUST get the hot stone massage.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!  I used to stay awake, but now just let myself doze off.  They use super smooth stones - both hot and cold, and rub some on you and place and leave some.  I come out of there feeling like Jello.  Its awesome.  Worth every penny.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry about your massage session, Kargiver.  Sounded like something different.  Are you scheduling another appointment for it?

Back in and looking around wondering how this house gets so messy with just 2 of us (us being the cat and me) living here.  Seems as tho I'm always picking up.

Looking forward to Sunday and the boys all being here.  Only 2 of them will be coming for dinner, but the other two will pop in during the time they're here.  Cooking up a storm, as usual.  Went to buy canned Wyler's blueberries to make a pie and it is $4.99 a can!  Can you imagine?  Two cans are needed for a full pie.  Luckily I checked out the frozen berries and was able to pick up a couple of pkgs. at 2/$5.00.  Making that and Spanish Cream for dessert, along with the hermits and half moons that are frozen.  Picked up makings for ambrosia to have mid morning for those who get here early, and will make 2 dishes of the Birds Nest and a huge salad with everything in the world in it.

Amber, I've been thinking of you.  Hard to have your daughter actually move into her own place over this particular week-end.  As you have said, she won't be that far away, it's just the actual leaving that always got to me.  I'm sure you'll be spending Mother's Day with her.

Bg, your household has a lot to be thankful for this week-end.  Hope your dau is still doing well.

Don't see any posts from Pingo while I've been out, so picture her watering down her cilantro and keeping an eye out for "the birds".  Not funny, I know, we used to have a couple walk down between the two houses here, and I know they're in town every year, terrorizing the other end of town.  I would hate to have to stop feeling my birds, so am truly grateful that for whatever reason they prefer the dumpsters outside the eateries.

Mother Robin is still nesting, on it when I left this morning, when I got home, and a few minutes ago when I peeked.  Heard the male robin singing away in the backyard, so wonder if he is announcing the birth of twins or triplets!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, that is very sweet of you thinking of me : )  It wasn't easy when DD left and poor Amber is all confused.  She sits on the loveseat when I am home from work and stares at the door as she knew Anna would be home after me and she always did that.  I confess I shed some tears Monday when she did that.  I now just pick Amber up and put her next to me on the couch. Tigger has claimed Anna's room, so he is happy.  Boo could care less...  LOL!  But DD is happy, so I am happy for her.  I know she has no money from moving and getting things she needs, so I convinced her I don't want to go out (and I don't) that I would just like the pleasure of her company.  So we will feast.  I am making my bacon, red onion salad with dinner rolls to start and then a roast chicken dinner that she loves with pie for dessert.  Should be a great day and your day sounds wonderful too! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

How exciting tt.  I hope you can get a couple of pictures of the little birds.  Has Cheerio noticed the nest from the window?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm with you Amber, in that I enjoy putting together a meal for the boys, much more than getting all gussied up and going out to eat.  Have eaten out the past few years just because G.T.'s partner and his mother who enjoys going out to eat, wanted to have us share the day them.  Wouldn't do anything in the world to offend either of them, but truly, I am looking forward to sitting on the step and talking to G.T. while he putters here and there in the gardens.  Brings me back a bit to a time when he was still living at home.  So, you see, no matter how old we and they get, you're still going to miss having your dau living at home.  I know you're happy for her, I'm happy for G.T.  He has a wonderful life with a wonderful partner and great friends, is happy, and I'm happy for him, but - - - - a day like Sunday will fulfill my heart for a while.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I couldn't have said that better tt....  she is coming over tomorrow for dinner as I am grilling and I am so looking forward to it and then Sunday, but it is not the same as her here I know..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, I haven't as yet seen any little beaks sticking up out of the nest.  It's so darn deep, that even standing on a footstool I can't look down to the very bottom to see if there are eggs there yet.  Once she's off it and they have hatched, I'll be able to hear their little chirpings and hopefully see and take a pic of their beaks without the flash scaring the mother.  

After she wakes me up early mornings, Cheerio hops to that window and sits behind the shade looking out onto the street.  The other morning I saw her tail twitching, so I'm figuring the mother was there on the nest in Cheerio's sight.  She forgets a lot tho, and won't think of her again until she happens to be sitting on the sill at the same time the mother is nesting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Wouldn't it be great if the chicks appeared on Sunday ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

If I were a kid again, I'd follow this trying to find the pot of gold at the end -

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We had one of those too

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Just wanted to wish all of you Moms out there a very Happy Mother's Day.  Looks like the weather may hold out for you tt, as we are just supposed to havea chance of showers.  Enjoy!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooh, pretty shot - I'd have probably tramped off to find the end of it, too. :)  And, we probably had a rainbow here; I should have looked for one while the sun was out and it was pouring.

DH had frost on the windsheild this morning!  Brrrrrr.  I had to put the heat on, too - it was only 62.