Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Welcome May!

Good morning,

Whenever you have a sun shower, if you stand with your back to the sun, you will have a rainbow in front of you.  Many's the time as a kid I followed one.  I lived near water and that's where it usually ended  - never did find that pot of gold.

Chilly last night, I pushed the heat on, and it's only in the 40's here this morning.  Everything is so green and beautiful tho.  Mrs. Robin was fluffing around on the nest, so I'm sure there are little eggs.  Wish I could get a glimpse.  Tried again this morning, but just can't see down to the very bottom.  She's built a good fortress her little ones won't fall out of.

Much to do today, in the house.  I like everything sparkling when fam is coming. Never did get to wash the floor (curses on white kitchen floors) so that and cleaning the bathroom are tops on the list.  The rest will get done piecemeal.

Hope you all have a good Mother's Day.  I know some of you working moms aren't on the computer week-ends, so I'll take today to wish you all a very happy Sunday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, what a beautiful picture.  I would dearly love to have a birds nest outside my window.  I know you love it and Cheerio too of course : )  How is she?  I had to put my heat on last night too.  Kills me to do that in May.  I hope all the ladies have a wonderful Mothers Day as I won't be back on until Monday. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  What a great shot tt. 

I had to pull the big comforter on the bed last night.  Everyone's Mother's Day plans sounds great.  I'm going to Angelica's for a brunch with my mom, MIL and SIL (sister in law), my DH and my son. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    [QUOTE]Good morning everyone.  What a great shot tt.  I had to pull the big comforter on the bed last night.  Everyone's Mother's Day plans sounds great.  I'm going to Angelica's for a brunch with my mom, MIL and SIL (sister in law), my DH and my son. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

You will love it, Winter.  We went 2 years ago and it was a wonderful brunch and the servers were so attentive.  Angelica's is one of my favorite places to go for lunch too, they never rush you, and you can have a nice leisurely meal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I will also add my wishes for a happy Mother's Day to all the mothers, step-mothers, pet-mothers, and mother-figures, in case the day keeps me from doing so later.  I hope you all have a joyful day with loved ones.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, yes we like it there.  DH's family loves popovers.  I'm looking forward to it.  In case I forget later.  Happy Mother's Day to one and all. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You could learn to make those (popovers), Winter.  In Jr. High in cooking class the first things we learned to make were popovers and hot chocolate!  Bet DH's family would be impressed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Happy Mothers Day to all!  May 5th isn't only Cinco de Mayo, its also my wedding anniversary....54 yrs!!  I'm giving my age away.  The girls and their families will all be here on Sunday, I'm making a Fiesta Dip and Hermits, and please don't laugh, but for lunch we are having my favorite (the kids love it too), KFC!!  I have a beautiful Purple Smoke tree in my backyard, it truly is a sight when in full bloom, this past winter and all its snow, broke it in three places, I've sawed off the broken branches, and then bandaged the ends.  Also used an old nylon pantyhose to tie up the drooping brach.  Lots of buds, sure hope it will continue to bloom. Take care & Keep Smiling SS

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Congratulations on 54 years shakersilly.  How wonderful to hear a marriage that has endured that long.  Lots of love contributed I'm sure : )

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Here's my 7th grade popover recipe.  By the looks of the amts. it must make only 3 popovers, not the usual 6.  I found it interesting.  I remember that we had to share the muffin tins, hence only 3 a piece.

1/2 cup milk
    1 egg
    1/2 cup flour
    speck of salt

Place milk in a mixing bowl.  Sift flour and salt together into milk and beat for 1 minute to remove lumps.
    Beat egg and add to mixture, beating with an egg  beater.
    Pour into greased muffin tins that have been preheated for 2 mins in oven.
    Bake in hot oven 450 for 20 minutes.
    Reduce heat to 350 and bake 10 minutes more.

It was a regular housekeeping class we had.  My handwritten notes in my "Criterion Composition Book" on meal planning, how to care for vegetables, how kitchen drawers should be arranged.  How to prepare salads, school lunches, and recipes for:
    Applesauce Christmas Cookies
    Baked Apples Cake
    Cocoa French Toast
    Cinnamon toast White Sauce
    Cranberry/Orange Relish Cream of Potato Soup
    Boiled Dressing Scalloped Potatoes
    Gingerbread

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh I have learned to make popovers :)  I have the pan and everything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

[QUOTE]Here's my 7th grade popover recipe.  By the looks of the amts. it must make only 3 popovers, not the usual 6.  I found it interesting.  I remember that we had to share the muffin tins, hence only 3 a piece. 1/2 cup milk 1 egg 1/2 cup flour speck of salt Place milk in a mixing bowl.  Sift flour and salt together into milk and beat for 1 minute to remove lumps. Beat egg and add to mixture, beating with an egg  beater. Pour into greased muffin tins that have been preheated for 2 mins in oven. Bake in hot oven 450 for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 10 minutes more. It was a regular housekeeping class we had.  My handwritten notes in my "Criterion Composition Book" on meal planning, how to care for vegetables, how kitchen drawers should be arranged.  How to prepare salads, school lunches, and recipes for: Applesauce Christmas Cookies Baked Apples Cake Cocoa French Toast Cinnamon toast White Sauce Cranberry/Orange Relish Cream of Potato Soup Boiled Dressing Scalloped Potatoes Gingerbread
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]
    TT...  Even though you now have quite a collection of recipes, I think it's great that you still have your little notebook.  I doubt if schools even teach these skills now.  Obbieite

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I know many of you have posted about birds.  Can I just say I hate birds!  They are so freaking loud.  Does anyone else feel this way?  I do like a pretty cardinal or blue jay but that is about it.

Any who happy mother's day to those celebrating!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

allready...I am awoken early every morning by an annoying bird. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

And what would the world be without the songs of birds ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

quiet and peaceful:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

asleep.............  sorry tt, couldn't resist!  I had a utility pole with wire outside my last house that was right in front of my bedroom and the birds would make me crazy waking me up at 5:00.  When you have to get up in an hour to go to work and can't go back to sleep, it can very annoying.  I thankfully don't have that where I live now.   Other than that, I do enjoy them : ) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, suggestion from G.T.:

a plastic coyote.  He said he goes by a warehouse that has a plastic one in its field to keep the Canadian geese away.  So, there are such things, might work on the wild turkeys too.

He added, that the cilantro will definitely keep him out of your yard!
    (Can't copy and paste because I'm going back and forth between IE and Chrome.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Welcome May! : TT...  Even though you now have quite a collection of recipes, I think it's great that you still have your little notebook.  I doubt if schools even teach these skills now.  Obbieite
    Posted by Obbieite[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Obbie, but for the life of me, I can't think of one person who is actually going to want this.  No, I'm sure they don't teach home economics in the regular school curriculums now.  We had this and sewing.  But, in those days, we were being prepared to be little homemakers, nothing more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Bunker Hill Community College has a few plastic coyote's on their property because of the geese too.  For the longest time when I would see them on the train, I thought they were stray dogs....  Ha!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, my high school offered cooking as an elective.  No home making or sewing however.  I graduated in 1989 so I doubt they even offer cooking anymore.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think all those elective programs are being dropped, lack of funding for teachers.
    Even when my boys went to H.S. they could take an elective of cooking, did and enjoyed it.  To this day they all do the cooking in their families.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My sister took home economics, but she graduated in 1977. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

When I was in Jr High,  both boys and girls took all four electives:  cooking, sewing, woodshop and metal shop.  My mother still has the napkin holder I made in metal shop.

Its too bad they are dropping those kinds of classes.  There are so many ways to learn other than books and lectures.  All of those clesses to some degree involved numbers and reading comprehension.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I agree.  It also gives the kids a taste of something, woodworking for instance, that they may never have tried and liked otherwise.  Love Essex Aggie where my granddaughter goes.  The first year they are thrown into many different hands on occupational studies to find out what direction they want to go in.