Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Welcome May!

If I had had the chance to take home ec, it would have been the one thing I'd still be applying in my life from grade and high school.  I made "straght As" and felt like I didn't learn a thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ah,but you evidently did, you apparently went on to a successful career.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I took home Economics in High School..actually, for me, it led to a whole career

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's true - I did get a degree that qualified me to apply for a job in engineering, but it was math and I never did another calculus problem again...thankfully, lol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    If I had had the chance to take home ec, it would have been the one thing I'd still be applying in my life from grade and high school.  I made "straght As" and felt like I didn't learn a thing.
    Posted by kargiver

We really did learn a lot in Home Ec.  I always thought it was great for kids to take courses like that because college is definitely not for everyone.  The boys took shop and/or could continue at a Votechnical School for the final four years of highschool.  Kar, where did you get your engineering degree?  I'm asking b/c one of my daughters graduated from WPI in Worcester as a Mechanical Engineer. If I had kept a booklet like TT did, I'm sure my (5) daughters would be fighting over who would get it...lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have a degree in Mathematics from BU, Obbie.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're up and on the boards early, Kargiver.  I figured today there'd be no activity.  I'm waiting for the teakettle and then I'll get started on the pie and Spanish Cream.  Glad I got all the polishing etc. done yesterday, now today I can just bake and get the main dish made and ready to pop in the oven tomorrow.

Backyard is very quiet this morning, no sign of birds or even squirrels.  Makes me wonder if I missed a hawk earlier, and they're all taking cover.

ETA:  7:15 - the secret is revealed - a beautiful grey cat hiding under the shrub 6 ft. from the feeder!  Just went out and gave her some kibble.  She's one of the cats the cat lady down the street houses in her breezeway.  Pretty little thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Happy Anniversary, ss. May you and your DH have another wonderful 54 years together.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Up early today and plan to leave soon.  I want to buy some plants for the deck before it rains.  Looks so nice out now, I'm hoping the forecast is wrong.

pingo, I'm so sorry to read about your turkey invasion.  Sounds horrible to me.  I used to see one around Kendall Square, of all places.  We have coyotes in Mt. Auburn Cemetery and they have been spotted along the Charles, too.  I'm glad I keep my cats inside.  

Happy Anniversary shakersilly.  Fifty-four years is quite an accomplishment.  I hope you and DH have many more.

Sounds as though everybody has nice plans for tomorrow.  tt, don't wear yourself out in the kitchen.  You won't be able to enjoy your company!  I'm invited next door for brunch tomorrow.  Later my daughter and the girls are coming in.  I'm hoping it will be nice enough to walk along the Esplanade.  The girls are already lobbying for a walk to Starbucks at the top of Newbury Street. I took them there several times this past fall and winter when they were living here and they love the hot chocolate.  We'll see, but they'll probably win out!
    Whatever happens, enjoy tomorrow.

mothermitzi

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning Mothermitzi,

Pie is in the oven, after I almost had a mishap with the blueberries.  Opened one package and luckily I had the silverware drawer open - it toppled over spilling all over the silverware - if it hadn't been for the drawer being open it would have been a lost cause, spilling all over the white floor!  I would not have looked forward to running out to the store again today.

It's an easy day for me, I have all day to get my preparations done, and then tomorrow will truly be a day of leisure, enjoying my company.

Sounds as tho you have a nice day planned for Mother's Day.  I've never been to a brunch, other than the restaurant ones.  What will they serve, and how will they keep everything (eggs, omelets?) warm?

Enjoy the week-end.  It's good to come in and sit down and see your name attached to a post.  We missed you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Always bring a roll of tape with you to the supermarket, to keep containers closed. Whole Foods will do this for you, but not most other supermarkets.

kargiver - My Dad was a math teacher at Boston Latin School. My brother was a math major at UMass-Amherst.

Sadly, I don't have a math bone in my body. Frown I was an art history major at a small New England college (I can tell you in PM, but to mention it here would nail me), then an MA at a large Southern University. Humanities all the way, until I fell in love with a certain art form. I've taught; worked for newspapers; worked as a nautical antiques dealer, and am now looking for a publisher for my first book. I've also been a caregiver for my elderly Mum, until she entered a nursing home (Alzheimer's). I never thought I would revel in being a nester - until I saw the first ultrasound of my DD. I despise milk - but on that day, ran out and downed a quart of chocolate milk (for her little fetal bones).

Happy Mother's Day to all here who are Mums; have Mums; are foster Mums, or love a Mum.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ah, if it had only been that simple (plastic boxes of blueberries).  These were bags of frozen blueberries that I had thawed on the counter.  I snipped across the tops and one promptly toppled right over, juice and all onto the silverware in the drawer. Silverware needed to be tossed in dishwasher, and the tray washed, but the blueberries were salvagable, and it was a lot less of a mess than had they spilled on my white kitchen floor!

Interesting career background.

Happy Mother's Day to you too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good afternoon all,
    I have been kind of absent for a few days for several reasons. For one, I was laying on my lawn with a musket (aka Ache's scenario), but w/o my Pilgrim hat - don't have one.
    Secondly, I have had service people come to look at my dead refrigerator/freezer. Two of them just walked out - wouldn't get involved. A third one told us it could be repaired :) He was really knowledgeable and came from a 3rd generation business in Peabody. (tt, all through this, I kept your tree cutting story in my mind. Thanks!) According to him, it is still running perfectly well. He was shocked to learn, it is 20years old. He found a leak in the Freon line. We liked, that he was not pushing anything. He could fill it with gas, but it could last one day or one year - no guarantee. So right now, we are leaning towards replacing the compressor as well as the condenser and we will have an almost brand new (at least the important parts) running ref/freezer again. It will cost as much as a normal, common new ref/freezer, but it will go with the kitchen (resale value!), and will last us at least as long as we stay in this house, which may only be for a couple of more years.  At some point we want to move near one of our children. Not with them, but near them.
    Thirdly, I have been busy looking for solutions to our turkey problems. Thanks for all your suggestions. I did call and spoke with someone at MA Wildlife. "Remove your feeders!". This is something, I would NEVER do. Besides, the turkeys were here for years, before we put up the feeders last year. So I know this will not be a solution. But low and behold, since I sprinkled the Coriander seeds and the chopped up Coriander, we had none yesterday and just two today. Icer, is it really working? I love the idea of the plastic coyotes - even though we have plenty of the real ones. I just checked, and $69 seems to be a wise investment for piece of mind. They even scare me. But what about the small birds? That is a concern to me.
    Finally, My BIL and SIL came back yesterday. So I had "the gang" for a surprise authentic ethnic dinner (I had told them I would make pizza, LOL). Spent Thursday shopping and yesterday cooking (plus I did go to work both days). But it was worth it. Everyone was so surprised and impressed, and DH was so pleased (what we do for our husbands). 
    This morning I got up at 4:00. I had gone to bed with a messy kitchen (too tired to bother) and it really bothered me. So I got up to empty my dishwasher, fill it up again, and clean my kitchen. I I felt so much better afterwards. And I made my scones. SIL, who grew up in London, told me when I made them last time, it was the best scones, she ever had and if I could please make them again. (Making an addition to my recipe on the the other thread).
    Today they went to return the leased car and do some final shopping. I had planned to make a mushroom lasagna tonight, but they insisted to take us out for dinner. Not hard for me to accept. They wanted to try something different - so we found a Lebanese restaurant, we are going to try. Never been there, so we don't know anything about it - but if it doesn't work out, we can leave - there is always Prince Pizza.
    They will be leaving early tomorrow morning and things will be back to normal.
    We may not do much for Mother's Day. I picked up a rack-o-lamb from Costco - and was shocked, how much the price went up. I will cook that,  or I will pick up a couple of the inexpensive lobsters, it the weather is nice and we can eat on the deck.
    Wishing all you mother's a very Happy Mother's Day. Sounds like you all have great plans. And happy 54th anniversary SS. May you enjoy many many more happy years together with your DH - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

To Reindeergirl,
    I really don't care for your new avatar. This kid is so self-centered and obnoxious.
    - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

You mentioned coriander - don't you mean cilantro?  If not, then I'm confused.

Hard to make a decision re fixing the old or getting a brand new appliance.  I'm sure you'll come up with what's best in your situation.

Thank God I went to start to make the Birds Nests around 12, had forgotten to defrost the ground chicken (I have no microwave), so in the meantime put together the Spanish Cream (double recipe) and frosted the half moons.  I'm going to have a hard time not cutting into that blueberry pie.  My mouth is watering, even bought some French Vanilla ice cream to go with.

Don't know how you do all you do.  I know when we're still working we somehow manage to squeeze 2-3-even 4 jobs into one, what with the workplace, home, and outside activities, but friends and I were commenting last week that we don't know how we did everything we did in when we were in the workforce.  Tomorrow should be all about you and just relaxing.  What a letdown you will have after your company waves goodbye.  You'll have so much free time!

As far as the coyote goes, I think as long as you put it up near the back of the yard as in the picture you posted, it won't deter the birds from your feeder or birdbath.  If the cilantro is working, you may not need it.

Getting overcast here, so I guess the prediction of showers was correct.  That's ok, get them out of the way before tomorrow.  Am so in the habit of using placemats that I have to hunt up my tablecoth.  Have a nice green and white plaid one that for the life of me I couldn't find this morning.  Probably in the bottom of the basket that I keep in the closet of things not used very often that need to be ironed.

Have a wonderful time out tonight and a good night's sleep.  Happy Mother's Day from one mother of sons to another.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt,
    thank you so much. You bet, I will relax tomorrow. My mouth is watering with all the goodies you are making. I have used the frozen berries for pies, and they come out just a well, as if I pay a fortune for fresh berries.
    Hm! Just heard the thunder overhead.
    Cilantro and coriander is one and the same thing, tt. About an hour ago I chopped up and sprinkled a leftover bunch I had - on the ground underneath my feeders. Turkeys went bye-bye - could be due to the thunder though. Hoping it is the cilantro and not the thunder and that my cilantro seeds will take and spread in btw. the grass. Wouldn't that be something? - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, et al, I was up and on the boards early then was MIA, sorry!  Was in the kitchen all day.  DH was out back in the garden.  I have photos, but not ready to post yet.  

coriander is the seed from which the cilantro plant grows.

rdg, I have a theory that everyone has the inate ability to do math, but that ability is either squelched early on by a bad math experience (usually, a terrible teacher of algebra I) or fostered by an enviroment that allows for how that person learns best.  My theory has been fortified by my tutoring experiences.  I only take on students who are failing badly, have no hope, and try to explain in no uncertain terms that "they can't do math."  I've never had a student that didn't get turned around to an A-B student from then on.  One took a week, one a month, and one (to my dismay, actually) took 10 months of weekly appointments.  But, they all got it and, more importantly, how to get it from that point on without help (from a teacher or me).  I'm working on a tutoring gig in my not-so-new life, now, but it's slow going.

Art history would be interesting.  I don't know if I could memorize everything, though.  History was my weakness, actually, even though I found it interesting.  I could remember things long enough to be tested and then, poof, it was gone.  I relied on the rule that so many of them had that if you got a high enough grade for the course you could skip the final.  Phew.  Anyway, what an interesting path your life took after that degree!!

I'll get caught up better tomorrow.  Sorry, ladies, too tired to focus on reading right now.  I'm half asleep.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Happy Mother's Day everyone.  I hope you all have a wonderful time visiting with your family.  Obbieite

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    DH and guests just left for the A/P. What am I going to do with all my free time? I know: Relax, relax, relax! It has been a whirlwind for the past two weeks.
    Last night BIL took us out for dinner. Yeah! SIL wanted to try something different. So we went to a place, none of us knew anything about. Lebanese food. OMG, what a find. We will definitely go back. A small cozy place, with attendant servers and fantastic food. YELLA, right smack in the heart of downtown Andover.
    http://www.yellagrille.com/
    We all shared their appetizer plate and a huge bowl of hummus with pita chips.
    I had their pan sheared scallops, DH had their lamb chops, and there was several items for the vegetarians as well. For dessert there was of course Baklava, which they all gobbled down. Too sweet for me, so I had their Strawberry, Hazelnut Crepe with Pistachio Ice cream. I already put that on my menu for my next dinner party. Easy to copy.
    Their prices were like most decent restaurants. If you need a place to go to for a special evening, you will not be disappointed by Yella.
    On a different note. I am holding my breath - no turkeys yet this morning. Coriander/Cilantro? Could it be?
    Hope you all will have a wonderful Mother's Day, whether you have children or not. Chat later - pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happy Mother's Day!!!  Hope everyone is having a wonderful Mother's weekend!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm so full!  Sent the 2nd birds nest and samplings of everything else home with G.T.  My God, I never could have eaten all the leftovers.  The blueberry pie was a bit too juicy, so I either put in more berries than I thought, or perhaps baked it too long making it jucier?  Tasted good and there were no complaints, except from G.T. who did the first slice.  He earned his keep today, brought down 2 butterfly bushes along with cuttings from his own garden, and has the backyard looking spectacular.  Nanny friend stopped up for a visit, since she was a childhood friend of the boys, and it was good to see her looking and feeling fit.

No happy Mothers Day news from "the nest".  Bird was off it most of the day, but both parents were seen swooping around and about.

Cheerio got her nails clipped and is a much happier camper tonight.  Poor thing was getting caught on everything.

Still no decision on where to move my gazing ball.  Really wasn't much time to chat about that, the brothers were enjoying themselves with other topics too much!

Hope you all had a nice day.  We certainly lucked out with the weather.

P.S.  Little Lilly cried when she found Nana and Papa were going to Nana Nana's and she wasn't going with them, so along she came with a bouquet for Nana Nana.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  It seems like everyone had a great weekend.  Brunch at Angelica's was great.  We did some yeardwork on Saturday and I have a question for the gardener.  I love to plant flowers and such, we have some flowers in the front and I'd love some more.  Can someone tell me what these are?  I know I've seen them in pink and white as well as the purple that I have.

TIA

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning everyone!  Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  Mine was busy (no big surprise there, right?) but we got a lot done. 

SS- belated anniversary wishes to you.

Winter, I have no idea what those ar ecalled, but what wonderful surprises you have popping up all over your new property! 

Pingo - I'm glad your trukeys seem to be under control now, and that your company is gone and you have your space back. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novem, it's so cool.  I love roses and there are three bushes there currently....I have no idea what color they are.  I did buy some yellow and a peach colored one that I have to plant this weekend.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

To think, anything could have been under all that snow!  I'm so happy for you that it turned out to be beautifl blossoms. 

Sections
Shortcuts