Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Welcome May!

Good morning, Winter

Looks like alyssum to me, but I will double check with G.T.  It does come in different colors and is used as a ground cover.  How nice you're having all this beautiful plant surprises.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,
    Those are Alyssum. The low growing, mat forming Alyssum. They come in several colors and are often used to soften a low wall. You can sow them outdoors after the last frost, but it is more common to buy small plants. They spread readily.
    It must be so exciting for you learn, what you have in your yard. - Pingo

ps. If you are looking for more plants, Costco has a great stock and are reasonable, but you need to buy, when you see them; tmw. they will be gone. Today they may have roses; tmw. Azaleas. Home Depot also have a great stock. We have been a lot luckier buying plants and shrubs from those two places, than the nurseries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I think they are phlox...Allysum blooms much later

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, I just heard back from G.T.  It is ground phlox, Icer is right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thank you.  I'd like to put some around the entire edge of the wall.  And there is an owl in our pine tree...I really wish he'd go away. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh my gosh, what I'd give for an owl.  Only heard their cry once, quite a few years ago, and thought it was so neat that one was this close.  Maybe you can learn to love it and think how great it is to have a piece of nature that close.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Guess I was quite wrong. I accept that - Pingo

In Response to Re: Welcome May!:
    Winter, I just heard back from G.T.  It is ground phlox, Icer is right.
    Posted by toytrumpet

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter,
    I will swap with you anytime! I will take your owl, if you take my turkeys.
    - Pingo

Thank you.  I'd like to put some around the entire edge of the wall.  And there is an owl in our pine tree...I really wish he'd go away. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, I will swap with you anytime! I will take your owl, if you take my turkeys. - Pingo In Response to Re: Welcome May! :
    Posted by pingo

Winter already put in her order this morning for 1 1/2 turkeys.

I thought it was alyssum too, Pingo.  They look quite alike.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Good morning everyone.  It seems like everyone had a great weekend.  Brunch at Angelica's was great.  We did some yeardwork on Saturday and I have a question for the gardener.  I love to plant flowers and such, we have some flowers in the front and I'd love some more.  Can someone tell me what these are?  I know I've seen them in pink and white as well as the purple that I have. TIA
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

They're not alyssum, they're phlox -- creeping phlox, to be specific.

ETA: Oops -- didn't see that others had put in their 2 cents before me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Alyssum is an annual, though it does reseed itself pretty easily, so it can seem perennial.  Phlox is a perennial.

(Unless there is some perennial version of alyssum I don't know about -- trumpet's GT would know, I would guess.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I know, tt. But I will take her owl, if she takes what is left of the turkeys. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Welcome May! : Winter already put in her order this morning for 1 1/2 turkeys. I thought it was alyssum too, Pingo.  They look quite alike.
    Posted by toytrumpet

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: owl.
    Winter, are you sure it is an owl? Have you actually seen him? We have mourning doves, and they fooled me thinking it was an owl. Their calls seem alike. - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I don't know if it was an owl a neighbor said it was.  I wouldn't mind if he didn't have to wake me at at 4am.  The tree sits in front of the bedroom window.  We cut some branches down Saturday and I haven't heard him since.

Pingo, sorry I can't swap with you..the turkeys would make a mess of the pool.

Thank you for identifying the flowers for me.  I will get some more this weekend. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Beautiful day.  No walk at lunchtime though.  Mondays are pretty busy around here. Actually, the whole week will be busy.  My boss has gone to NY to be with his father who is having open heart surgery.  We're hoping for the best. 

Had a nice day yesterday.  Started at my neighbors for brunch.  Traditional fare - eggs and homemade waffles with real maple syrup.  They made corned beef hash from a brisket they smoked the day before.  It was wonderful.  Passed up the danish for a wonderful fruit salad - unusual for me and my sweet tooth. Both mothers were there and one of the guy's sister and her family.  Later, my daughter came by with the girls and we walked over the Mass Ave. bridge and up to Starbucks.  Naturally, the kids won out on their request for hot chocolate.  I told them it was getting a bit late in the season for hot chocolate but nobody paid much attention!   Had a skype session with my son when we got back.  A very nice day indeed.

tt, so glad you had all your boys in the house yesterday.  There is no better feeling. I have to say I miss having my daughter and her family here.  I really enjoyed the five months they lived here.  Luckily, they are not far away and I see them frequently.

pingo, glad the cilantro is working, or seems to be anyway.  I felt sad when I saw the picture of your lawn.  I have a friend in Acton who had a beaver build a dam behind her house.  Her back yard was flooded for seven months by the time she navigated the proper channels to have the beaver trapped and relocated.  It made her crazy!

winter, I pass a house on my walk to the T and their front wall is covered in phlox - the loveliest shades of lavendar and pink.  I look forward to it every spring.

Have a great day everybody.

mothermitzi

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Thank you all for the wishes on my anniversary.  I took Home Ec in grade school and then went to the High School of Practical Arts and had lots of sewing and cooking classes, only other classes were Math,English and Art. Only went for one year as not too many went there, so the school was closed. Darn it!!  Those lovely lilac flowers are phlox, I have them in three shade of purple, and three shades of pink....they are beautiful and smell so nice....I also have tall ones, but only in pink and white.  SS

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Went out for the sole purpose of picking up some hamburg to make a meatloaf - here it is 4:00 or after, and I realize I never went into the grocery store!  Poked around KMart and Marshall's, came home and  tried to finish the book that's being reviewed by my book club this week, and now here it is time to be getting supper ready and - - -  Took out a frozen egg roll and some frozen crab ragoons and will pop them in the oven.  There's always that piece of blueberry pie or some Spanish Cream for dessert.  Think I'll have a bowl of the ambrosia with the supper part. What a mishmash, huh?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

tt -

That's the best thing about leftovers and a full freezer! I cooked a piece of hake last night.  I'll have the other half tonight.  The guy at the fish store suggested I try it because it's so much cheaper than cod.  It's not as firm as cod but I like the flavor.  It was half the price.  

mothermitzi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning!  DH & I started the day today with a wonderful surprise - our dear friends, who were also our maid of honor/best man, welcomed thier son in the wee hours of the morning.  This early arrival wasn't expected for about another week.  I hope to go see them tonight or tomorrow depending on how the Mom is feeling, so later I will run out to grab something special to bring to the biig sisters. 

Babies are so fun!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Mazol Tov!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

November, congratulations for becoming an aunt again. What nice news to wake up to. Wishing a long and happy life for the little tyke. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

kargiver,

Please see my thread, and offer my sad soul some advice. I am heartbroken, and it's all my fault. I have no-one to blame but myself.

Thanks so much.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aLifestyleForum%3a9664Discussion%3a04730f2d-d6b5-4d7d-80b0-30f10070ed89

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Good Morning all! Yesterday I posted on another thread, and came back as beastsgirl. I got a message from a Teresa asking if I figured out about the pumpsygreen thing, and if maybe someone in my home uses that name. D.D., And D.H. don't use these boards., so it's still a mystery. I did google pumpsygreen, and as Icer said, he was an early African American ball player. He was very impressive,I had never heard of him. I haven't been able to post much lately, between problems at work, and D.D.'s appts. She is doing better though it's a longer process than I anticipated. Lets see who I am today! bg

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Wow, this is really weird! bg

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning bg, alias Pumpsygreen -
    Always good to see a post from you, whatever your nom!

Sections
Shortcuts