Welcome May!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Owls vs Mourning Doves

The people at Cornell have a wonderful website that includes recordings of bird calls.  It's my go-to site for bird questions. 

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Page.aspx?pid=1478

Over the years I have seen barn owls, hoot owls and one Snowy owl here in my suburban paradise.  When I was sick one winter, and could not sleep, I loved to listen to them at 2 - 3 am, hooting away. 

Remember, Owls eat mice and voles and other little creepy creatures! Without them, we'd all be overrun with field mice. 

The second week we lived in our house, we took a walk and on a Mercedes in someone's driveway, sat a perfect little owl pellet!  nothing left but fur and bones. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Welcome May!

OMG, Amber, I just got the funniest email about "Cat Baths" from "The Cat".  The pictures are priceless.  Which I could send them to you.  Don't see any click on site that I could include, but maybe you've already seen it.  All pics of wet cats in the process of being bathed, with their "appropriate captions" - i.e. "You will pay for this, as God is my witness, you will pay"!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi tt,

I haven't seen that yet, but will google to see if I can find.  I love cat and dog pictures with captions.  If you google, LOL Cats and LOL Dogs, there are some funny pictures on that website too : ) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Owls vs Mourning Doves

Hats,
    That is my 'to-go-to' page. I learned a lot from that web-site.  - Pingo

In Response to Owls vs Mourning Doves:
    [QUOTE]The people at Cornell have a wonderful website that includes recordings of bird calls.  It's my go-to site for bird questions.  http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Page.aspx?pid=1478 Over the years I have seen barn owls, hoot owls and one Snowy owl here in my suburban paradise.  When I was sick one winter, and could not sleep, I loved to listen to them at 2 - 3 am, hooting away.  Remember, Owls eat mice and voles and other little creepy creatures! Without them, we'd all be overrun with field mice.   The second week we lived in our house, we took a walk and on a Mercedes in someone's driveway, sat a perfect little owl pellet!  nothing left but fur and bones. 
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I know it must be chilly out, heat has been on, but as I look down the street, here comes the mailman in his Bermuda shorts!  Once this guy changes into his summer uniform there's no going back!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

The people at Cornell have a wonderful website that includes recordings of bird calls.  It's my go-to site for bird questions. 

www.birds.cornell.edu/Page.aspx?pid=1478">http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Page.aspx?pid=1478

Over the years I have seen barn owls, hoot owls and one Snowy owl here in my suburban paradise.  When I was sick one winter, and could not sleep, I loved to listen to them at 2 - 3 am, hooting away. 

Remember, Owls eat mice and voles and other little creepy creatures! Without them, we'd all be overrun with field mice. 

The second week we lived in our house, we took a walk and on a Mercedes in someone's driveway, sat a perfect little owl pellet!  nothing left but fur and bones. 
    ----

Yes, because looking at dead animals is a great social outing.

CSI much?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I offer up my fav bird site
    http://www.talkinbirds.com I hope it works for you..He ios also a poet and had was a one hit wonder with a tune called "Lets get preppy" Ray Brown is the guy..He's a pretty fascinating fellow

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

reindeergirl, That was too funny, I almost spit out my water! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats was just giving some information about the role owls play in the eco system. I hardly call that considering that "looking at dead animals is a great social outing".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

"sat a perfect little owl pellet!  nothing left but fur and bones."

I think that is what was funny. She wasn't the least bit grossed out at seeing that as I would have been.  I also pictured like RG did of someone having a nice leisure walk and going "oh look honey, a perfect owl pellet!"  Just don't see that where I live and it struck me funny too.  Nobody was meaning to offend anyone.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BG, your DD's "process" will not end.  You keep mentioning how you thought it wouldn't take so long, but just as an alcoholic who doesn't drink anymore is still an alcoholic, an anorexic who eats enough to sustain her life is still an anorexic.  She's learning to manage, not cure, her condition in treatment.  Your role as mom might be more difficult than hers as the patient, and I hope you are still getting personal professional guidance through all this to help you navigate this journey.  No mom on earth is a born expert on how to support and care for an anorexic child, and no one expects you to be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

kargiver,

I can see you giving counseling or pastoral counseling. You have such a grand heart.

A few pp back, you also cited LD in math, how you feel it sometimes arises from a poor class or instructor somewhere along the way. It may have been a rebel thing with me - there was such pressure in my household to do well in math because Dad and Brother were convinced I could. But I don't know. When DD entered school, I started re-learning math as she learned it, from addition to arrays to fractions, which is where I got stuck once again. Very odd. It's like I can almost see the closed door inside my head.

Fortunately, as well as she's doing (being mainstreamed out of SPED come autumn), she gets an extra section daily from now until late June. A kind of reinforcement for children who need that. Thank goodness, as I can't help her with her math homework. And the math teacher is available after school every day.

But I think that math is beautiful - poetic, lyrical. Science is beautiful, too. I had thought about geography as a major.

You mentioned BU - My Dad was a BU alum, also BC and Columbia. (BA and EdD; PhD; MA).

So, DD asked me, essentially, if you had to be a brain surgeon to read National Geographic and The New Yorker. I said no, but it helps to have an interest in the world around you. Like me, she loves the NG maps, and they are slowly taking over the Cody, Taylor Swift et. al. posters in her room. She wants to be either a dentist or an engineer at NASA's mission control. She's doing a STEM program this summer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

rdg, what a thoughtful post, thank you so much.  You have no idea how much I needed that encouragement today!

Nothing like undue pressure and resulting rebellion to close the door on learning anything new.  Everyone who says they can't learn math has a story behind why, a moment in which their innate ability to learn it was stifled.  Any time I take on a math student we spend the first session (at no charge) just chatting about it so I can figure out what angle to take.  I've never used the same approach twice.

I wish I'd gone into psychology, actually, even as stunningly beautiful as I find mathematics.  I could totally relate to your description of math - there's something about a discipline that is totally objective and concrete (well, at least through most of the math I took) that draws me in.  But, I didn't have a gift in math, I just worked really hard and got the degree.  Psychology was a breeze - I took as many electives as I could and never even took notes.  I should have caught a clue then that that was what I was supposed to do.

My father and my step-father were pastors, and 2 of my 4 step-brothers are, now, as well.  In fact, one of the brothers married us.  And, my DH has a degree in geography.

You must be so proud of DD.  Not surprising she has such high aspirations with her lineage.  I'm sure she'll do well with whatever she pursues.

Thanks, again, for the hug.

~kar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Reindeer girl, if your daughter get interested in STEM, I hope you won't make fun of her if she gets interested in biology.  When I brought my dissected frog home the summer after Class 3 (I went to Latin School, of course) my mother didn't make a fuss, she supported my interests.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

posted at 5/11/2011 6:21 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=34f06e6c75f6dff41fb400aa2e74c46f&plckUserId=34f06e6c75f6dff41fb400aa2e74c46f">
    First: 7/22/2008
    Last: 5/11/2011
    Reindeer girl, if your daughter get interested in STEM, I hope you won't make fun of her if she gets interested in biology.  When I brought my dissected frog home the summer after Class 3 (I went to Latin School, of course) my mother didn't make a fuss, she supported my interests.
    ----

hats,

Why in the world would I mock her? Silly question, IMHO. Are you referring to dead little mouse? I would express my displeasure at the school system and its curricula, but not at my DD. In any case, kindly see below, about Mass. law, which makes the matter moot.

She did STEM last summer, and loved it. As it's only 6 weeks, and summer holiday is 10, she did a week of art on either side, and then a holiday for both of us.

Chilldren need four years of science, math, lit, and history, along with public service, to get into a good school. That leaves only one section in h.s. for arts, lanuages, and other electives, a shame that is. I feel the arts are a necessity, not a "frill." Surely in the world today (and the world past), foreign languages are a must.

My Dad taught at Boston Latin School (of course), and was also an alum. (Shades of "Welcome Back, Kotter). I am glad to hear of another BLS alum (you). :) Did you love it? He loved teaching there.

Now for the law: The Commonwealth of Massachusetts law has, for years, allowed students to "dissect" on a computer model. It will, of course, be up to DD. I support her in whatever she does.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

First: 5/27/2009
    Last: 5/11/2011
    "sat a perfect little owl pellet!  nothing left but fur and bones."

I think that is what was funny. She wasn't the least bit grossed out at seeing that as I would have been.  I also pictured like RG did of someone having a nice leisure walk and going "oh look honey, a perfect owl pellet!"  Just don't see that where I live and it struck me funny too.  Nobody was meaning to offend anyone. 
    ----

amber nails it. Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Amber and Reindeer, you two must be city dwellers and not used to live with nature.
    I thought Hats gave good information and a good example on what one can expect, if you indeed have an owl in your neighborhood. - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Kar - any consideration of going back to school or otherwise training in counseling?  I agree that you are a natural.  You could even do it part-time if you wanted to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I'm sorry, but a dead carcass would not be a "beautiful example" to see for me.  Doesn't matter where I live.  The "scenerio" of her walk is what was funny for me and RG.  Again, RG's response was in jest and funny.  Guess Hats didn't get the humor and that's ok.  But I think her response to RG regarding her daughter was very snarky. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ok Amber, I agree with you. Bad choice of words. Let's change "beautiful example" to "good example".
    And what do you find "snarky" in Hat's response to RDG in regard to her daughter? I thought it was a very good suggestion.
    Dissection is a an art, even though most people go "yuck". How do you otherwise think, these amazing doctors could make the recent full face transplant? Dissection is a learning tool - starting with frogs or other small dead animals. To bad the students today have to "dissect" on computer models. - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I had to go to a funeral Tuesday and a conference in Worcester (man I hate that drive) yesterday.  Not completely caught up with the reading at this time.  But hopefully I will be later today.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

"Reindeer girl, if your daughter get interested in STEM, I hope you won't make fun of her if she gets interested in biology"

That is snarky and insulting to think RG would mock her own daughter. That wasn't said in jest at all, but a jab at RG.  But I defend what I think was funny and this is being taken to a new level.  Hats response to RG was not nice IMO. Now on to bigger and better things.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi  everyone, had a few minutes to catch up. Wow, what a small world. D.H. is a BLS alum. too. Thankyou Kar regarding D.D.'s battle. I'm keeping up, but you know, sometimes when it rains, it pours. Have a great day everyone. bg

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Pingo,

They don't have to dissect one way or another. They have a choice.

ambergirl - Thank you for defending me. Yes, I was making a joke of sorts :) Don't be concerned any longer. I'd rather you have your friends here without my interference.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Also, you are correct ambergirl - I never have, and I never will do that. It's just been the two of us, DD and myself, for the past 11 or so years, and we are best friends :) I'd rather slit my own throat than cause any harm to her. Thank you for picking up on my relationship with her.