What We're Reading

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: What We're Reading

In Response to Re: What We're Reading:
    Another John Grisham winner, "The Associate"
    Posted by Ken1935

Is that his newest?  I've read all his books, and have loved them.
    I finished "Early Bird" and passed it on to a friend, and am reading another I had picked up, "Mrs. Whaley and Her Charleston Garden" - a memoir of an 86 year old gardener who comes from a long line of gardeners.
    (Guess we're the only ones on the boards today, Ken).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

In Response to Re: What We're Reading : Is that his newest?  I've read all his books, and have loved them. I finished "Early Bird" and passed it on to a friend, and am reading another I had picked up, "Mrs. Whaley and Her Charleston Garden" - a memoir of an 86 year old gardener who comes from a long line of gardeners. (Guess we're the only ones on the boards today, Ken).
    Posted by toytrumpet

Yes, that is his latest. I belong to Mystery Guild and get notified of all the latest books in this genre.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Stopped in at the library and picked up 'Galway Bay' by Mary Pat Kelly.  Nice long book.  Hope I can get into it this weekend.

mothermitzi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Good morning

A friend just gave me "Spencerville" by Nelson Demille and I also have "Emma's Secret by Barbara Taylor Bradford.  I am heading to the beach and hope to spend most of the time reading.

Enjoy the day

putt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Picked up 4 books at Used Books that all look good.  Read The Journal of Callie Wade, journal of an 18 year old making her way West in 1859.  It's based on the life of the author's great grandmother.  Now I'm into and having a hard time putting down, Midnight at the Dragon Café.  Not what it sounds like, the Dragon Café is a Chinese restaurant in Ontario where a young girl and her mother come from China to join her father in his diner, The Dragon Café.  The other two that I've yet to start are:  The Hiding Place, again told by a young girl, this time in Wales; and Revere Beach Boulevard which is supposed to be very good.  Trouble is, when I get into a book, that's all I do!

Before I bought these, pulled off my shelf and read again, The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama - my very favorite book.  I reread it at least once a year.  Leave it with such a peaceful feeling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Stopped in at the library and picked up 'Galway Bay' by Mary Pat Kelly.  Nice long book.  Hope I can get into it this weekend. mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi

How is Galway Bay, Mothermitzi?  Are you enjoying it?  Would you recommend it?  Galway is one of my favorite cities in Ireland, Killarney being the other.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

First Family by David Baldacci,,,,,another great writer

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my dear! You girls make me go back to Ireland. Galway and Killnary? Oh those beautiful places. Memories so sweet.
    Right ow I am reading a book my PhD son gave me to read. "Complexity" by Mitchell Waldrop. "The Emerging of Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos."
    Well, he thought I would enjoy it. But I have such a hard time to get into it. Two three pages every day will do it. I have to read it and go back and read it again several times.
    If he had not given it to me ("You wil love this book, mom") - I would have junked it long time ago. Maybe it gets better later on. That happens. So now I am struggling though the first chapers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Started "The Wild Irish" by Robin Maxwell.  She also wrote "The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn"  and "The Queen's Bas*ard".  Enjoying it very much so far.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

In Response to Re: What We're Reading : How is Galway Bay, Mothermitzi?  Are you enjoying it?  Would you recommend it?  Galway is one of my favorite cities in Ireland, Killarney being the other.
    Posted by toytrumpet

Hi tt -

So sorry, I did not see this post until I checked the thread today.  I did enjoy the book very much and finished it in Maine.  I'm going to check out her other books. 'Galway Bay' is a novel that chronicles a family and their emigration, starting pre-famine and ending post Civil War era in America. 

mothermitzi

P.S.  Galway City and Killarney are my favorite spots, too! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Mothermitzi

Had clipped the coupon from the Sunday paper (Used Books 5 books for $5.00) and went over to the mall today.  Intention was to find 5 kids books, but only found 3 I wanted so looked and looked and looked around for a couple for me to make up the 5 - it was too good a deal to pass up at that point.  Thought of Galway Bay, but hadn't written the author's name down and couldn't remember it.  Ended up with  "The Ghost at the Table" by Suzanne Berne, which had good reviews, and "Intuition" by Allegra Goodman.  She wrote "The Family Markowitz" which I read and enjoyed.
    Now I've got to stop - have about 5 from the library to plow through and now about 4 from Used Books in the wings.

P.S.  Guess what one of the kids' books I bought was?
    City Mouse and Country Mouse!  One of my favorites, and still reminds me of you and me, mm.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good evening mm and tt,
    Reading about your books make me want to go back to Ireland. Just visited Galway and Killarney. After closing this post, I will go right to Amazon and look for Galway Bay. Besides, I love stories about immigrants. The immigrants of today have no idea, what hardship is all about. Many get everything served on a silver platter. - P

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Pingo

Unless you have a gift card for Amazon, B&N or some other bookstore, when you're thinking of buying a book, try U.B.first.  They are very well organized stores, by category and then author, and have a surprisingly up to date selection.  I personally prefer the one in Danvers, but unless I'm over that way, usually hop to the one at Square One Mall because it's closer.  $2.99 for any hardcover, and $1.99 for paperbacks.  Coupons come in that envelope of ads we get every week or so, and in this Sunday's Globe was the coupon I mentioned above.  Great for stocking up on authors you've been meaning to try.  One in Danvers, Burlington and Saugus malls.  Just a suggestion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Mothermitzi Had clipped the coupon from the Sunday paper (Used Books 5 books for $5.00) and went over to the mall today.  Intention was to find 5 kids books, but only found 3 I wanted so looked and looked and looked around for a couple for me to make up the 5 - it was too good a deal to pass up at that point.  Thought of Galway Bay, but hadn't written the author's name down and couldn't remember it.  Ended up with  "The Ghost at the Table" by Suzanne Berne, which had good reviews, and "Intuition" by Allegra Goodman.  She wrote "The Family Markowitz" which I read and enjoyed. Now I've got to stop - have about 5 from the library to plow through and now about 4 from Used Books in the wings. P.S.  Guess what one of the kids' books I bought was? City Mouse and Country Mouse!  One of my favorites, and still reminds me of you and me, mm.
    Posted by toytrumpet

Hi tt -

I read your comment and chuckled!  I remember when I first started posting here you made the comparison, and I got a big kick out of it then, too. I think I still have that book around here.

mothermitzi  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The last few days I've been reading Loretta LaRoche's "Relax, you may only have a few minutes left".  I sat at the kitchen table this afternoon and laughed until the tears ran down my cheeks.  Have seen her many many times, and in fact at different times brought either my mother or sister both of whom went through periods of depression, to try to give them a different outlook.  Reading her book is almost as good.  I highly recommend it to anyone feeling stressed out, or just down, or even just for the heck of it, as I did.  We can all recognize ourselves in some of her examples and get a good belly laugh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

OMG, we all seem to live north of Boston and with proximity to Rte. 1.

This summer I am going through everything of David Foster Wallace (Infinite Jest). Very dark. You can see it coming.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I know you like mysteries, Ken, have you ever read any of S.J. Rozan?  I'm reading "Stone Quarry" by her and really enjoying it.  Has very good reviews by other mystery writers.  She's written several books.  Might be a new author for you to try, as she was for me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

I know I don't contribute here very often but I just had to mention a book I just finished up yesterday.  It is titled Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  Wow!  It's set in the 1930's but it's written from the point of view of a 90+ year old remembering back to the time he spend working on a travelling circus.  It's a facinating story but it was sometimes hard to read for an animal lover like me.  If you're looking for a good read, I highly recommend this one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That book has been recommended to me by a lot of people, but I, as you, am an animal lover and can't bear to read anything that even suggests animal abuse.  My mind indelibly imprints the images on my mind.  Couldn't even see horse pictures as a kid for fear of a horse falling and breaking its leg!

Anything else you have read that was good lately?  I like to have a list when I stop in the bookstore every couple of weeks - filing is by author, so need that too.

I'm currently reading "Ghost at the Table", by Suzanne Berne.  Interesting family dynamics - I'm going to recommend it to a friend who's in a book group.  It would be a good selection for them to read.

P.S. Ken:  I picked up another book by S.J. Rozan after enjoying "Stone Quarry".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

One of the librarians brought me in her copy of a book her book club recently read, "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  Takes place in Mississippi in the 60's.  It's a novel about two black maids and the families they work for, and their relationships that develop.  Having a hard time putting it down.  I'm sure one of the book sites could give a better synopsis than I.  It's a 2009 publication.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Front page shows my last posting was 44 days ago - not so, only yesterday, regarding the book I'm reading, "The Help".

Sections
Shortcuts