Which would you prefer???????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Which would you prefer???????

Having a debate with everyone randomly interpretting the key words of the debate quietly and individually in their own minds irritates me because in your quest to remove semantics from the equation you also remove all the meaning from the discussion.  Yes, you do have to define the two words you want us to compare and contrast.  Otherwise, there's no meaning to the discussion.  English is only a completely literal communication tool until you're about 5.  Then you learn what connotation means and realize that if you're going to kick off a debate you have to give the connotation of the words in question.

ETA:  Because ALF guessed your connotation right without asking makes her a hero?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Which would you prefer???????:
    [QUOTE]Having a debate with everyone randomly interpretting the key words of the debate quietly and individually in their own minds irritates me because in your quest to remove semantics from the equation you also remove all the  meaning from the discussion.  Yes, you do have to define the two words you want us to compare and contrast.  Otherwise, there's no meaning to the discussion.  English is only a completely literal communication tool until you're about 5.  Then you learn what connotation means and realize that if you're going to kick off a debate you have to give the connotation of the words in question.

ETA:  Because ALF guessed your connotation right without asking makes her a hero?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

No, it makes her wet! - she dove in the deep end of the pool and offered an answer - period. PLEASE NOTE: NOBODY ATTACKED HER OR CHALLENGED HER OPINION she just added to the discussion.

NOTE: Alf accused me of calling you a name too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Take it a step further and you have, "Do you like A or B better?  Why?"

If you want to make up what A and B mean and tell us why you like one better than the other that's great.  Something like "I like A better because it's a lot smoother than B."  Someone else might then post, "I like B better because it's a lot safer."  Someone else, "I agree with the first poster.  A is better because it makes me feel serene."  What kind of discussion is that?  It's as nonsensical as this one about "need" and "want" because the idea that we're talking about the same things is an illusion that makes the true comparing and contrasting of our opinions on the subject truly impossible.

You'll have to just accept that if you ask an ambiguous question I'm just not going to play.  I don't care if I'm attacked or challenged for my opinions!  I WANT TO KNOW WE'RE ALL ANSWERING THE SAME QUESTION!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If you are going to have a discussion about something in purely written form, then you need to be a bit more precise when you pose the question.  In an oral discussion, no one w/o an eidetic memory can go back and say 'you said X' while literally quoting what you said. In an oral discussion, they can say "you said X' while paraphrasing and then accepting any minute changes or any reinterpretation of what they meant by the speaker. That does not happen in this forum or in a written debate b/c people can go back and thow your exact words at you. So yes, if you are going to slightly alter your original question, or people are going to insist on certain definitions in the original question later in the discussion, then you need to accept the fact that your question needs to be a bit more precise, or that no one will question the other person's answer.

Kind of hard to understand why you want to argue w/ that.

You could have gotten the response you wanted [which clearly was just various opinions], had you stated "would you rather to be X or Y. Please explain".  You could have answered your own question first so that people knew what you wanted. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Which would you prefer???????:
    [QUOTE]  Kind of hard to understand why you want to argue w/ that. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

That is the only thing that has me confused.  

The bottom line that I hope RT will take from this is that ensuring we're all talking about the same subject matter won't impact or lead anyone's opinion about the subject. It will merely go toward ensuring that the conversation is about one question, not many questions (interpretations) masquerading as one question.  

We can't learn anything from each other (which I assume is RT's goal) if we are all talking about different things without realizing it for a lack of definition.

Thanks for adding your thoughts on that, ALF.  Very lawyer like - in a good way, of course!