Who is going to win?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Who is going to win?

Today is voting day for Massachusetts. I thought it would be a fun idea to ask our Chat regulars, who they think would win the senate seat. I am not into politics at all, but I did read up on the candidates for the past few days. One thing for sure, I got sick of all those campaign calls.
    I shouldn't really vote, because "my" candidate always looses. But as an American I feel it is my duty.
    To be very honest, I don't think Martha has a chance any longer - but we shall see. I think Brown will win by a land slide. What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Who is going to win?

DH and I are voting for Brown and expect him to win.  Actually, DH has already voted, and I'm getting ready in a second to do the same.  I usually don't bother 'cause my person never wins, either, but this time it matters, although, I suppose it can be argued it always matters in a democracy.  And, I don't even work so what excuse do I have?  I can drive in the snow.  OK, here I go!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm surprised how close the race has become.  The Coakley team is surprised too, I'm sure.  I register as an "unenrolled" (used to be classified as "independent" allowing me to vote either way) and so I've really been bombarded with calls from both sides.  Will get around and dressed and if a son stops by, then I'll ask for a ride to the polls.  This seat will be the deciding vote for a universal healthcare bill which I strongly feel we need in this country.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I think it will be close, but sincerely hope that Coakley wins.  I hope the people of MA see Brown for who he really he is - a Republican, far removed from the center/independent that he is trying to convince people he is; supported by the right to life movement, vehemently opposed to g*y marriage, who stated that "terror suspects don't deserve legal representation", who smugly wants to cast the deciding vote that will see any chance of real health care reform be diminished.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

So this is what it must feel like to live in a swing state: with all the calls I've received from both sides (I'm an independent), I feel like my vote actually matters in this election! :-)  

I predict it will be a close race. I have a feeling it might be too close to call until late in the evening.  I'm voting for Brown.  I don't like all of his policies, but I do feel he's the better candidate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's why I'm voting for him.  DH actually thought a Coakley commercial was one for Brown.

tt, you know you can vote however you want each time no matter how you are registered, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I think it's going to be a very close race - I am voting for Brown an truly hope that he wins!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"tt, you know you can vote however you want each time no matter how you are registered, right?"

I've always been registered as an "independent" ("unenrolled").  After one primary or perhaps town election, my status got changed to Democrat, so I've re-registered as "unenrolled".  Prefer to keep it that way.

Word of warning to those in Pingo and my area as to slippery corners - just witnessed a car slide around and get caught up on the chunked solid bank from the plows.  Luckily he had a shovel and small blanket in trunk and another car stopped and after shoveling some, pushed him out with his car. - Be careful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

It is slippery.  Be careful if you are out.  I've already voted.  I'm not comfortable discussing politics on these pages, so I'm staying out of this one.

mothermitzi

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mothermitzy,
    I am not comfortable either and I did not suggest to tell whom you would vote for, just who do you think would win.
    I have not voted yet, but I will - and truly, I still have not made up my mind. I don't like Martha, but I feel I need to support our president. (No, I did not vote for him). But now, that he is here, he needs our support. He took over this mess we are in after 16 years of republican presidents. There is no doubt in my mind, that the republicans are ganging up on him.
    My head tells me, I should vote for Brown. I feel he is the better candidate of the two. But I also believe, we need universal health care. Tough choice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, no worries, I just wanted to make sure you know anyone can vote however they want no matter how they're registered.

I like the idea of universal healthcare, but I fear it would not be good in practice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar you know, I grew up in a country that has universal health care. It does work, and it works beautifully.
    Granted, the taxes there are a lot higher than here. But then again, I NEVER had to pay for medical care in any form.
    When my mother could not take care of normal house hold duties any longer, she had someone come to do her apartment cleaning and shopping. All this didn't cost her or us a penny.
    Eventually the home help also help her eat in her own home with food brought in fresh everyday. And it was good nutritious food made for an older person, who could have some restrictions. She paid only a very small amount, since it was government subsidized.
    When she needed more care, the government gave us a list of homes we could choose from. My sister visited them all and selected one that was closest to where she lived. Instead of driving 1-1/2 hour back and forth, she could now visit her mother everyday. The care was excellent.
    Mr. P and I visited several times and were amazed. She had her own room with some furniture brought from the apartment, she had lived in for decades, her own nice bathroom and all the care one could ever want. And it did not cost her or us a penny. (One of my employees just had to put his father in a home, and it cost them $380/day.) When she moved into the home, the government stopped paying her her Social Security except for a small amount for personal expenses. But I think, that is only fair, since all my mothers needs were taken care of.

I didn't cast my vote today for someone I really wanted to represent our state, but for the universal health care reform. I know it may not make much of a difference  - but I did my duty as an American citizen.

And how glad I am to be back home. It is messy out there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's an informative post Pingo, and one from someone who's been there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, very informative, thank you for your personal perspective.  I do have doubts about this government's ability to run it so nicely, but it's nice to know it can work if done well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

And Pingo, because of that, it is the reason I am voting for Martha Coakley. Thank you for sharing your story.

Then again I would never vote for a Republican, I truly believe they have forgotten the middle class.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The only republican I ever voted for was Frank Sargent.  I am sick to my stomach right now, waiting.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

It was a sad night for us faithful Democrats. I really hope that Scott Brown can help us with the unemployment rate, won't forget about the poor and middle class, and will help the elderly and people who need health care. "Hope" is a big word here.

Congratulations to the Scott Brown supporters.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I care for all those people, too, but I feel strongly that too big a government fosters a weak economy, and that harms everyone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I wish people would stop blaming Obama for the trillion dollar debt. What about the loser President we had for the past 8 years? Think about it.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Liz, you are correct.  Clinton made it a priority to reduce the debt, and it was very small when Shrub took over.  But, when you fight a war and refuse to raise taxes to pay for it (and that's the only time in US history that taxes were not raised during a war) then you have to borrow to pay for it.  The deficit is attributable to the republicans, and Brown was extremely dishonest to imply otherwise.  Sadly, many are ignorant about this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

As some of you may know, I am a staunch  Republican (no tomatoes, please :0 ).  That being said, I am glad the election is over - and (hopefully) the phone calls will stop!

Very nice post Peonie - I completely agree with you!