Why No Bring-Your-Own-Bottle Restaurants in Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Why No Bring-Your-Own-Bottle Restaurants in Boston?

I moved to Boston recently and I was disappointed to see that restaurants have not taken up the amazingly successful “bring-your-own-bottle” business model. This is where you bring your own alcohol with you, they supply the wine-glasses etc, and you can partake in their culinary delights making for a much cheaper evening out. Plus you get to drink stuff you actually know you will like! In a recession I would have imagined that places like this would be springing up like weeds, as restaurants should not even need a liquor license to operate on this model (as they are not “selling” alcohol). Its possible they might have to still ID people to make sure minors are not drinking in their premises, but beyond buying some wine glasses they would be raking in the cash if they were to operate like this. I have been to various towns that have this and the restaurants have lines stretching out of the doorway almost every night.

Restaurant week is just a fad, but this model would be a permanent every-day solution to the problem of people not having as much money thesedays.

The big question is- why is this not happening? What is “wrong” with Boston to stop this from working?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Re: Why No Bring-Your-Own-Bottle Restaurants in Boston?

Grendel's still allows it, as far as I know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

I often wonder about that. Restaurant owners know there is money to be made offering alcohol and would not like to lose that.

In today's economy, it makes sense that you should be able to bring your own whatever you are drinking.  The mark up on a bottle of wine in a restaurant is highway robbery.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

plasko,
    there are several restaurants in Boston and suburbs, where you can do this. You just have to find them. Restaurants w/o liquor licenses. But they will charge you a fee p.p., whether everyone drink or not.
    Why should restaurants w/ a license allow you bring your own? They are there to make a living, and have paid highly for that license.  And we all know there is such a high mark up on drinks and wine. So for them it is a way to pay for that license.
    But if you cannot afford a bottle of wine, just don't order it. Water taste good too.

In Response to Why No Bring-Your-Own-Bottle Restaurants in Boston?:
    I moved to Boston recently and I was disappointed to see that restaurants have not taken up the amazingly successful “bring-your-own-bottle” business model. This is where you bring your own alcohol with you, they supply the wine-glasses etc, and you can partake in their culinary delights making for a much cheaper evening out. Plus you get to drink stuff you actually know you will like! In a recession I would have imagined that places like this would be springing up like weeds, as restaurants should not even need a liquor license to operate on this model (as they are not “selling” alcohol). Its possible they might have to still ID people to make sure minors are not drinking in their premises, but beyond buying some wine glasses they would be raking in the cash if they were to operate like this. I have been to various towns that have this and the restaurants have lines stretching out of the doorway almost every night. Restaurant week is just a fad, but this model would be a permanent every-day solution to the problem of people not having as much money thesedays. The big question is- why is this not happening? What is “wrong” with Boston to stop this from working?
    Posted by plasko

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Because in Massachusetts, restaurants have liquor licenses which enable them to make a great deal of money selling wine and cocktails.  These liquor licenses also place great liability on them to serve lawfully and responsibly.  

The mark-up on wine is high?  That's also true for your steak, mashed potatos, and tiramisu.  The "mark-up" covers rent, utilities, supplies, chefs, servers, insurance, etc. etc. etc.  It's how they make money.

I'm sure there are a few byob places still around...I just don't know any.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe it's harder to get liquor licenses in states where this is popular.  Proprietors are in business to make money, and selling booze is a cash cow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, it is very difficult in MA. A friend of ours opened a restaurant in Woburn several years ago. He has applied for a liqueur license, but have to wait for some other restaurant/club/outfit to give up theirs. I believe most towns only give out a set number of licenses. He does allow guests to bring their own wine and beer. He will provide glasses, but charge a fee pp. - P

In Response to Re: Why No Bring-Your-Own-Bottle Restaurants in Boston?:
    Maybe it's harder to get liquor licenses in states where this is popular.  Proprietors are in business to make money, and selling booze is a cash cow.
    Posted by kargiver

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from allanrichard. Show allanrichard's posts

In Providence, a lot of Asian/Ethnic restaurants allow you to bring your own wine for FREE-Also, some Cuban restaurants in Miami-On principle, we boycott ANY restaurant who charges a corkage fee. We only drink French Roses in the Summer-or pink prosecco-not on anyone's wine list-(in the USA)(maybe NYC). We have enough money to buy wine, but would prefer to drink what we want-why pay $8.00 a glass for a heavy thick California wine which is totally disgusting? Or an over-acidic cheap Pinot Grigio which retails at the supermarket for $6.99 a bottle, which the greedy restaurant owners sell for $7.00 a glass? No Way! We are way too well-travelled to put up with these insulting wines by the glass.If everyone else boycotted the corkage fees, perhaps they would be discontinued by the restaurant owners.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

allanrichard, couldn't agree with you more. And hubby and I are not wine snobs - far from it. A few restaurants we know, have wine we like - so we go there more often and get a bottle. Sometimes they have half bottles of the same wine as well. But if not, we drink what we want and leave the rest. I just wish, one could bring home leftover wine, just as you do leftover food. But unfortunately it is against MA laws. So many people want to finish their purchase, which does not make sense at all, if two or three glasses of wine is one too many.
    You are right, most of the wine you by by the glass are cheap and not handled correctly during storage. Besides the bouquet of an opened bottle of wine will only last for a few hours - if that long. I prefer water with a slice of lemon. Much better than a cheap, fermented, wrong temperature and over acidic wine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from domino88. Show domino88's posts

Exactly what Cosmo said.

Pastalina's Restaurant in Medford allows you to bring your own and they do not charge a fee (they do not have a liquor permit).

Allanrichard - if you are a wine connoisseur, try looking at menus online before you go to a restaurant.  If I am in the mood for a good glass of wine, I pick my restaurant accordingly (many restaurants in Boston offer wonderful wines, the North End specifically has restaurants that do not sell California wine).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Domino, I don't think allanrichard came out as a wine connoisseur or snob. But don't you agree, that the wine that is sold "by the glass" is often awful? IMO there are some wonderful inexpensive Californian wines, and some terrible - very expensive -  French wines. And now, we also have some Australian wines worth trying. It is all about taste buds.
    I am lucky in a sense, that my son and DIL belong to a wine club that try all kind of different wines. We get some good tips from them. Expensive wine is not always great. Hubby and I once bought a case of Italian wine for $1.99/bottle - it was just wonderful. And then of course there is Trader Joe's Chuck-a-Buck, whenever the wine year is good. Cheers!

Exactly what Cosmo said. Pastalina's Restaurant in Medford allows you to bring your own and they do not charge a fee (they do not have a liquor permit). Allanrichard - if you are a wine connoisseur, try looking at menus online before you go to a restaurant.  If I am in the mood for a good glass of wine, I pick my restaurant accordingly (many restaurants in Boston offer wonderful wines, the North End specifically has restaurants that do not sell California wine).
    Posted by domino88

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from domino88. Show domino88's posts

Domino, I don't think allanrichard came out as a wine connoisseur or snob. But don't you agree, that the wine that is sold "by the glass" is often awful? IMO there are some wonderful inexpensive Californian wines, and some terrible - very expensive -  French wines. And now, we also have some Australian wines worth trying. It is all about taste buds. I am lucky in a sense, that my son and DIL belong to a wine club that try all kind of different wines. We get some good tips from them. Expensive wine is not always great. Hubby and I once bought a case of Italian wine for $1.99/bottle - it was just wonderful. And then of course there is Trader Joe's Chuck-a-Buck, whenever the wine year is good. Cheers! In Response to Re: Why No Bring-Your-Own-Bottle Restaurants in Boston? :
    Posted by pingo

I most certainly didn't mean it as an insult.  He said "We are way too well-travelled to put up with these insulting wines by the glass" and mentioned his very specific tastes in wine.  He sounds to me like he has discerning taste and knowledge...a wine connoisseur.

I do agree that most wines by the glass are not great and that is because the masses are not wine cultured, and its the masses that are catered to because they are the bread and butter.  Same thing with beer...that's why bud light is on tap everywhere.  That is why I like to check menus online, if possible, before I try a new place. 

And you are right about price.  Some of the best wine I've ever had was in Italy and it was about $12 bottle.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Domino, you said it rightly.
    Cheers to you! - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from domino88. Show domino88's posts

Cheers!

Do you happen to know what wine club your son belongs to?  We've been thinking about joining one for a while, but there are so many to choose from.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Domino,
    I do, but it is in San Antonio, TX. A bit too far, if you live in this area. Sorry - Pingo

Cheers! Do you happen to know what wine club your son belongs to?  We've been thinking about joining one for a while, but there are so many to choose from.
    Posted by domino88

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

The highest markup is on coffee, whether a high-end restaurant or a family diner.

There is family-owned restaurant in Brookline that does not have free refills. There's a reason for that - profit.

Sometimes one just wants to go out for a glass of wine. When I'm on the Outer Cape, I like to go to Blackfish, in Truro, for some wine. It's a busy place, yet intimate, and the dinner menu is out of this world.

I am not a big alcohol consumer - far be it, as my posts on other Boston Globe pages indicated. Given that, I'd rather drink amongst others, not alone in my home.

If a restaurant does not have a liquor license, it should allow its patrons to bring their own (as long as the proprietors follow city/town bylaw on this).

Sections
Shortcuts