Vanity sizing and the slender woman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Vanity sizing and the slender woman

ALF, thank goodness someone gets it, THANK YOU!  

Yes, my marked irritation is directed at Robin for obviously missing the entire point by directing me (and saying she "got over" spending too much on clothes) to cheaper clothes that DON'T FIT ME...they are TOO BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  When XS is 2 sizes TOO BIG, and that's the SMALLEST SIZE, that is the PROBLEM!!!

Maybe Robin thinks she's a Small or XS because L.L. Bean's clothes MARKED XS do fit her.  I don't know.  But, for the 1 millionth and last time, XS at L.L. Bean is what used to be a SMALL or even a (GASP!!!) MEDIUM.  

That stinks you have to get EVERYTHING tailored.  Nuts.  But, yes, the exact problem I'm talking about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Yep. I totally get it.

I could give a flying fig about what brand or maker is on the label, or what size the label tells me that I am. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice - I am limited to certain designers b/c they actually FIT and I don't want to spend hours and hours running around from store to store or to the post office to mail things back and get a refund. 

I would just love to be able to walk into a store [or even better, click on something on line] that is on sale or at least not super expensive at full price, have it FIT w/o alterations, and be able to go home, put it on and wear it and get on w/ life.  The only thing I can buy that does not need alterations is underwear!  Now, if manufacturers would work on making outerwear that fits over the underwear, I'd be all set.  Clearly, I am a normal human size since I can purchase underwear, so I do not understand why clothing is such a hassle. 

ETA: Oh it looks like the post chastising people for not saving their pennies for retirement and directing them to LLBean and Marshalls instead 'wasting' money on pricey designer clothes is gone.  How typical.  Note to self - reply to post from now on so that the post is included in the response and can't be deleted.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I chose to participate in this thread and offer an opinion, all my comments remain intact.

And they are not as some posters have described! LOL

PS: Excuse me while I put on my nice, soft, comfortable LLBean t-shirt and jeans, with a wide belt so that they don't fall off me!Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Point put up for discussion:  A QVC size "00" is a 1960s size 14.  This means that people with a 24" waist are SOL because everyday clothes aren't being sold that fit a 1960s 8/10 which I am.

NONE of your comments addressed the point.  But, at least they were respectfully presented.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

You are correct. Your post is there. I have been having issues w/ BDC fully loading. they must be making 'improvements' and 'upgrades' again.  Sorry if that upset you.

Have fun w/ your belt. I'd like to just be able to zip, button, fasten and otherwise secure my clothing with the provided fasteners and not look like a Franciscan monk, in a shapeless robe w/ a rope. 

I love my LL Bean fleece. Their jeans and other attire look very nice and comfy too. However, the entire point is that those items DO NOT FIT if you are a smaller size or build. Their smallest size is a 4. I am smaller than the measurements listed for the 4.  A belt is not going to work when the pants literally fall off my body when I pull them up to my waist and then let go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, the size 4 LL Bean jeans are 2 whole sizes too big for both of us, ALF.  Who would buy jeans 2 sizes too large and put a belt on them?  WTH?  When the top band of the jeans needs to FOLD under the belt the belt is not the solution.  I'm not wearing clothes that make me look like I lost 20 lbs but didn't replace my clothes, just stuck a belt on everything.  Absurd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Robin, in a last ditch effort to help you understand, assuming you are a Bean's 4, imagine getting them in an 8 and putting a belt on.  That's how their 4s fit me and ALF.  And, the point of the thread is that since that is their smallest size...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I guess if you like the hobo look, clothes 2 sizes too big and belts are the way to go.

Not suggesting that this is the look any poster is going for when donning a belt and jeans.  I love the look of jeans and a belt, but the jeans have to actually fit for the belt to look good.  If you have inches or yards of material bunching under the belt, yeah, that look is kind of absurd. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

And, another missed point is that NO ONE would have considered a woman who was a size 8 in 1960 (my current measurements) that she is too skinny.

ETA:  It's all relative to the average American waist size.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

And you know what else mystifies me? I fit in the Target tanks - XS - and they are the longer ones, so clearly made for an adult. Yet, the pants at Target start at a 4 or a 6, at least according to their tags, but fall off my body. How can an XS shirt fit me but their bottoms in the same maker be too big? I believe Mossimo is a Target brand. Why is there such a huge disparity between their tops and bottoms?  There is pear shaped [which I am ] and then there is Weeble shaped, which seems to be what Target is aiming to fit if you are going w/ their smallest pair of pants paired w/ their smallest top.  Those tanks are my summer staple, and I would love to buy some inexpensive shorts to go with them, but they are either Daisy Duke short [like cheek is hanging out] or are ginormous and falling off.  I don't want shorts that short [and quite frankly, they are still too big in the waist and hips even then] b/c I'm a bit old to have my rear end exposed.  I'd love to find some normal shorts that fit and don't cost over $50.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Exactly.  Me, too.  

I was really hoping for a discussion about vanity sizing and the ramifications thereof, not advice to let go of my designer clothes obsession.  I can't help it that they are the only ones that cater to slender women.  Heck, I'm a medium in some lines.

No one in the whole BDC community (I was hoping) here besides me and ALF have this problem?  We aren't anorexic, we're old fashioned size 8s.  EIGHT.  As in E I G H T.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Funny how my workout shorts (Champion from Target) are a medium or a small, depending on the type of shorts (running, yoga, etc). 

However, I really don't want to have to wear running shorts all summer b/c twill and cotton shorts under $50 don't come in my size! If they do, please direct me to that seller!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

It annoys the crap out of me!  I hate that I have to try everything on all the time.  Even t-shirts/tanks half the time.  It also changes year to year.  I used to be able so buy all my work pants at Ann Taylor or Ann Taylor loft in petites and not have to hem.  Now half the time have to have them hemmed.  Also annoying is I can't find good pants with a lining anymore.

Also, while on the topic.  Those cute "long" dresses and skirts that look so cute and comfy are literally taller than I am.  Granted I am short but really.  You see in all the pictures the stars walking around holding them up.  I like to be able to walk and not have to hold up my dress/skirt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, allready!  Indeed, at 5'3.5" I am not a huge fan of the maxi dress trend, either.  Hoping that fizzles soon, lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I ordered a pair of black wool pants online last week. I even re-took my measurements to ensure that I was ordering the right size. EVEN THEN! despite the fact that I just took my measurements, it was still the wrong size when they arrived and I tried them on two days ago! I had excess material throughout the hips and tummy area. I could have supported a 4 or 5 month pregnancy in the pants!  WTH!? 

Granted, I would have sent the pants back anyway b/c they weren't lined (who the heck would wear UNLINED wool pants? and how did I miss that on the website?), but I am beyond irritated that the measurements listed on the webpage were SO off.  Thankfully, shipping was free. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Again, I relate and no longer go by the size charts.  That's what I love about Hautelook.com, they give the model's measurements and what size she is wearing.  It doesn't match up to the size chart, but if I order the size she's wearing (assuming she has a 23 - 25" waist like most of them do) I'm set.  Usually translates to a 4 in those brands.

ETA: that stinks about your wool pants!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'm so annoyed, though. I have several suits from that maker, and I not only took my measurements again, it was the same size I usually get in that maker [and they are rather form fitting so it's not just the fact that it was supposed a looser fit]. These were ginormous!  And the size I ordered was a 2!  If they keep fiddling w/ sizes, I'm going to run out of sizes soon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Exactly.  We're running out of sizes.  Hautelook rocks, but you do have to have the luxury of time to patiently wait for the style item you want.  That's really too bad you're losing a favorite tried and true brand to this nonsense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I find sizing issues to be a problem with shoes. I am an 8 (but was a 7.5 pre-pregnancy). But at the more expensive stores, they (the shoes, of course shoes can talk) say I'm a 9 or a 9.5

With the Dansko clogs, I fit a 7 quitre comfortably, with no heel hanging out over the back.

Weird.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Hi RG,  those clogs with the european sizes seem to run big,  a salesperson told me that the original wooden clogs were supposed to be a little big to accomodate heavy socks.

People seem to prefer the modern ones, like Dansko, on the snug side.

BTW: There is a superb clog shop in Weymouth!   http://theclogshoppeweymouth.com/index.php

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, rdg, good to see you!  Interesting that cheaper shoe sizes tend to run diffenently than the coture brands, too.  I can't compare notes re the shoes running different by cost, though, because I have a bone problem in my legs and have to have very well made shoes.  So, the few pairs I have are pretty high end.  But, I lost a shoe size when I lost 20 lbs.  I had no idea I was carrying extra girth in my heel, lol, and for the longest time it didn't even dawn on me that my foot had even changed - it was my mom saying she had the same experience with shoes after she lost 20 lbs, as well; she lost a whole shoe size.  Odd, but true!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Hi Robin! Hi kar!

I had an ex who told me that fat is everywhere, even on this wrists. (This in no way implies anyone else here has fat on the wrists - or anywhere else!). So I started thinking it could be on my feet, too. But I also lost @ 20 pounds, and shoes stayed the same (for me - we are all different).

Robin - That makes sense about the socks.

kar - I wonder if couture shops are like Abercrombie: make someone feel heavier (or larger-footed) so they won't shop there! DD had a great little idea about Abercrombie - instead of BBWs boycotting the place over the CEO's fat comments, have overweight folks make it their shop of choice. He can't possibly have them arrested for trespassing - can he?

Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. -- Rumi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting thought, rdg.  Indeed, they are a "skinny" brand.  Actually, I can't wear Abercrombie (even if I wanted to) because my waist-hip difference is 10" inches, and they are cut stick straight (imo).  So, they are really targeting a certain look person, and they probably wouldn't want their logo splashed across the chest of a size 22 woman or even a curvy slender woman...doesn't fit the brand (no pun intended).

However, at the same time, Nicole Miller does come in sizes up to 14.  Of course, since I'm a 4 in NM, that means that a 14 is really a non-couture size 8 or 10...still not that large tape measurement wise.  

Very interesting.  Never thought of it from the designers' point of view, that maybe they don't want to have a heavy woman say, "It's a Nicole Miller," because they perceive it detracts from their image (not my opinion).

Thanks for adding - I'm intrigued, and I agree that you might seriously be on to something.

ETA:  Congrats on the 20 lbs, by the way, I remember you being frustrated with weight a few years ago. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Thanks so much, kar, It took a while, but it feels good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Given it took awhile and knowing something about you, I have confidence you did it healthfully and you, therefore, have the lowest possible chance of regain.  Again, great job, and you're welcome! :)

Sections
Shortcuts