$30 dinner party challenge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I love this challenge. I'm trying to come up with something really nice, so I'll be back ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from akmom. Show akmom's posts

Ooh! It sounds like fun!

To save money, buy chicken whole or in parts instead of serving boneless skinless chicken breasts. I mada a lovely meal the other night that could easily serve six if I added a few extra chicken pieces to the whole chicken, cut up -
    chicken roasted on a bed of sweet potatoes, onions, and parsnips, brushed with pomegranate-orange reduction, with additional pomegranate-orange sauce added to the veggies. Add a green salad or green vegetable, homemade hommous and pita chips/veggies as an appetizer, and a simple dessert, and I've got to think it's under $30. It has the added benefit of not needing much attention once it's in the oven, so you can spend time with your guests.

If you prefer other meats, go for a pot-type roast and make a braise. It can be pretty elegant, and is low-maintenance.

Dinner party does not have to mean fussy food - to me, it's about spending time with friends. Honestly, I have a lovely meatloaf recipe, served with a mushroom-wine sauce, that I would consider serving to guests. Not so much the ketchuppy one that I usually make, but even that, to a group of comfort-food lovers - why not?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi ml, I am not sure, I like this new trend. You invite, you pay. If you cannot afford it - then don't invite. This is not rocket science.
    However, in order to get together with friends - one could suggest a potluck dinner. Not a bad thing at all. Years ago, when we did not have much money in our hands, this was a norm. But be careful to ask everyone what to bring - so you won't end up with 6 bags of potato chips. (Happened to me once, so I learned my lesson).
    Everyone is stretched for $$ these days, but it should not be in the way of entertaining friends.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620. Show ml2620's posts

AK Mom, that sounds great. My husband is the chef in the house (I clean) and he is going to try the pomergrante-orange reduction tonight. It sounds so flavorful!

Out of curiosity, I googled $30 dinner party, and came up with these two suggestions: A little bit of a stretch for me in terms of skill, but worth a try!

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/betterhomesgardens/7111/fast-eds-dinner-party-for-less-than-30/

http://www.chow.com/stories/11399/2

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Our family did something like this Superbowl Sunday...

Since we didn't have a dog in the race...we had to make it interesting.

Everyone brought wine(big wine drinkers we have)

It was 4.00-8.00 limit for each bottle of wine...We kept them in the bag so you couldn't see the label...then you just went down the line ...tasted...then wrote comments.

it was fun

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Fetticinni Alfredo is a great dish and costs barely anything to make. Throw in some veggies and some bread and you have a great meal. As far as appetizers go, I have no idea. How about doing a tomato soup for a first course instead of an appetizer? Works for me! email me if want a great recipe for the Alfredo sauce at mdjtr "at" verizon "dot" net and I will send it out to you!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevehud. Show stevehud's posts

well pasta will always be the cheapest to serve.
    some easy money saving tips?
    if you want to make a grek salad, good feta can esily eat up your budget.
    go to your local supermarkets salad bar and just put a nice piece of fta and some olives in as your salad. saves you a ton!
    ill give you two appetizers to choose from, a nice choice of entrees, and two easy desserts, you ick em and i guarante they are under 30 bucks.

first up. mini crab and shrip cakes.
    okay, these are apetizers and your not emeril. so buy a larger can of crab meat and a can of the mini shrimps. outlay is 4 bucks , ( i checked)
    if you have a food processor then place the drained crab meat ( save the juice!!) and shrimps into the processor with about a cup of bread crumbs, a cup or so of mayo or salad dressing spead, hot sauce or cayene pepeer mabe a teaspoon of cayenne and a good six or seven splashes of hot sauce ( to taste)
    you can also use creshed red pepper if you have it and dont have cayenne.
    if you have old bay seson, fel free to add a teaspoon otherwise scope otu those dry spice in your pantry, got some cumin? half a teaspoon brings out the southwest. grab a head of celery, use about two stalks sliced vey thin in the processor with the bread crumbs athe meat etc. and pulse about 8 to 10 times or until a nice mealy texture. Since these wil be small , we dont ned big hunks of crab etc.
    Now if you have a mini muffin pan just use some oil, canola, whatever you like, but not olive!
    put a little like a hlf taspoon in each muffin part then rol a small ball filling the mini muffin molds with the crabcakemixture, put them in the oven for about 20 mins at 425, and there done when they are golden brown and you get some nice sizzling undrneath. if you get a nice sizzl but no color on top, hit the broiler for about 1 to 2 minutes, NO MORE.
    take the crab and shrimp juice, put it into a small bowl with about 5 to six tablespooons of ketchup, sme garlic, or garlic powder, more hot sauce or cayenne, and more mayo about 3 tablespoons. whisk this with some olive oil, about a good 5 to 6 second drizzle should be fine. then place this in th microwave for about 2 mins or until not uite super hot.
    seve the crab puffs on toothlicks with this side sauce. and voila.

now for the alternative, - bruschettas
    one loaf of french bread 189 at shaws. cut thin slices on the bias and lay them out on a cookie sheet, brush them with olive il and let them sit in the oven until they very lightly toast.
    now the day bfoe your party get a nice can of cruished tomatoes, or if you lie spicy a can of rotel. now also you need a small egplant, very cheap at all the prudce places.peel it and cut into rounds then dice, plce a god cup of eggplant small dices and tomatoe and 1 stalk of that celery or even small cukcumber. diced, hen put this into a bowl with enouh balsamic vinegar to cover, salt pepper and some garlic as well. cover and let the mixture sit over night int he fridge. in the morning the mixture should sbsorb much of the vinegar. if the mixture is very chucnky with large chunks fel free to give the whole thing a pulse or two in the foor processor.
    now spread the micture onto the bread slices, which you baggedup lat night right? sprinle with your fav cheese, parmesan or romano or asiago etc. you can warm these if you wish, but its not neccesary. next up entrees!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevehud. Show stevehud's posts

now sure you could go pasta, the easiest is with a basic buter oil garlic and parmesan topping.
    if you want to jazz it up, get some tri color bowtie or fettucene pasta, boil it until you like it ( i like mine a bit past aldente) but to each his own.
    strain and for say a pound and ahalf of pasta, use 1 stick of butter 5 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 to 4 fresh cloves of garlic sliced or about a half teaspon of the pre chopped. salt and pper. and mix until thebutter and oil melt and mingle and coatthe pasta then add the garlic and mix again then add 1 cup of parmsan, prefferably grated not shredded for his one. mix well and serve hot

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

One thing i'm noticing among my circle of friends as well as my brothers & sisters and their friends...are appetizer parties. each person/couple brings an appetizer of some sort and either a bottle of wine/soda/water/juice..

it seems to be a big hit. we had one a couple of weeks ago, and have been invited to at least 4 more over the next couple of months..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

Great idea, ML. I bet you could walk out of Trader Joes with a $30 dinner party easily. The prices can't be beat- I got a jar of kalamata olives for under $3! Serve that with cheese and crackers and you've got an $8 appetizer. Dessert of coffee and cookies or a cake, assuming you are not going through an entire can of coffee- let's say $5. That leaves $15-17 for a main course. Check out allrecipes.com, they have a budget menu section. You can even dump chicken with a bunch of spices and some broth into a slow cooker if you have one, serve over rice, and voila- a gourmet meal.

I am going to try this with my friends, thanks for posing the "challange"!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevehud. Show stevehud's posts

Re: $30 dinner party challenge

traderjoes?
    if you canget enough food for 4  and serve a real apetizer. a jar of olives is not an appetizer
    if you can do it i would be amazed. oneof the most expensive stores to shop in.
    kalamata olives are ridiculously cheap. at an olive bar at a grocery store you canget 10 times whats ina  jar and  your not buying all that brine.

heres a great idea, chop the olives up very fine, then mash with 2 cloves of garlic, a little cumin, some oregano, and a little olive oil, and voila, tampenade. spread it on little crostinis or pita chips,  with a small piece of tomato or choourico or any  tangy sausage type product and call em muffalata bruschettas.

appetizer party= tapas party. little bits of this and that.
    a wonderful fun time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevehud. Show stevehud's posts

a favorite of mne you might like to try,thats different and fun and gets raves.
    get about 2 or 3 pounds of dground turkey, chicken works as wlell but is hard to find and usualy more expensive.
    mix the turkey  in a bowl with some breadcrumbs, parsley, sage is nice and salt and pepper.

in a sauce pan mix  about 5 tablespoons, hefty ones, with about 2 teaspons of cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt.
    melt the butter and cayenne together untilit looks like, voila Buffalo sauce. cool the sauce, if you can put it in an ice bath do so. mix about half the sauce intot he turkey mixture, use your hands like a meatloaf!   then mold the mixture on a sheet or broiling pan  in 1 inch round coils ,like a long snake about 1 inch around , go up and down and youl have room. cook at 350 for about 20 minutes or so, chekcing to make sure you dont go over. then remove fromthe oven and cool.
    when warm cut into medllaions place inside a piece of bibb lettuce 9 or boston, iceberg doesnt realy work  nor romaine) or butter etc, crumble some blue cheese on to the medallion and a few drops of th remaining sauce and wrap in the lettuce. place them on the tray. they disappear lettuce wrapped buuffalo turkey and blue cheese pick em ups.  love em.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

[QUOTE]traderjoes? if you canget enough food for 4  and serve a real apetizer. a jar of olives is not an appetizer if you can do it i would be amazed.
    Posted by stevehud[/QUOTE]

Dude, never said that alone was...try reading first, commenting after comprehension is complete.  It tends to work out better that way.

I mentioned this challange to my fellow Italian friends and we all had ideas because it is easy to do with the "peasant food" we grew up with. I can make a linguine vongele for 6 for under 10 bucks. Maybe we're not used to over consumption of food and prefer to keep it simple. Because let me tell you, where I come from, olives, cheese and bread is, indeed, an acceptable appetizer.     

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

[QUOTE]Dude, never said that alone was...try reading first, commenting after comprehension is complete.  It tends to work out better that way. I mentioned this challange to my fellow Italian friends and we all had ideas because it is easy to do with the "peasant food" we grew up with. I can make a linguine vongele for 6 for under 10 bucks. Maybe we're not used to over consumption of food and prefer to keep it simple. Because let me tell you, where I come from, olives, cheese and bread is, indeed, an acceptable appetizer.     
    Posted by sandybaby[/QUOTE]
    Dude, You left out the most impotant word. That word is "good".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I totally agree with you sandybaby. Olives are wonderful. Make some hummus w/ olives (no, one does not have to buy this - hummus is easily made in your own blender for pennies) and get some olive bread, or make pita crackers or something else - and you have the most wonderful appetizer.
    Then make a pasta dish with frozen shrimps - a green salad and some home made bread (or store bought rolls) -- finish it off with a fruit salad (use what is in season and cheapest) with ice cream. Even a poundcake w/ strawberries and ice cream is not breaking your budget.
    I just think, we have gotten too lazy to make our own at home, and buy everything. Of course, that adds up.

[QUOTE]Dude, never said that alone was...try reading first, commenting after comprehension is complete.  It tends to work out better that way. I mentioned this challange to my fellow Italian friends and we all had ideas because it is easy to do with the "peasant food" we grew up with. I can make a linguine vongele for 6 for under 10 bucks. Maybe we're not used to over consumption of food and prefer to keep it simple. Because let me tell you, where I come from, olives, cheese and bread is, indeed, an acceptable appetizer.     
    Posted by sandybaby[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lindu. Show Lindu's posts

I just saw this post today. I'm serving New Year's Eve dinner for 6 for about $30 as it turns out.

Boneless leg of lamb $15 (I'm sure there will be leftovers)
    Thinly sliced potatoes and onions $3
    Fresh green beans $2
    Apple Tart $5
    Buffalo Chicken Dip appetizer $5

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I think I would do cheese and crax or hummus and pita for appetizer, beef stew with hearty rye bread or chicken a la king over toast cups for dinner, and baked apples for dessert.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Easy and Lindu,
    These are all great ideas.
    Talking olives - I buy the cheap canned ones and marinate them myself. No sweat. Drain the olives (a mix of them is good) and place in a jar with rosemary sprigs, sliced garlic and onions, crushed red pepper. Pour olive oil on to cover and let them sit for a few days. Much less than buying the salad bar ones or the fancy jarred ones.
    One can reuse the olive oil for the next batch or use it in salad dressing or for cooking. Nothing goes to waste here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4xmommy63. Show 4xmommy63's posts

Appetizers- bite size savory mushroom puffs (about 3.00, homemade), fresh veggie tray with dip (about 5.00)Main course- Teriyaki chicken breast skewers( 3lbs @1.69 per pound bone in chicken breast at Demoulas), stir fried rice(about 3.50), pineapple trifle for dessert(about 4.00)  You have money left over for libations and maybe some pretty paper napkins from Christmas Tree Shops!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am with you 4xmommy63. One does not have to spend a whole lot to make a great meal or entertain a few guests. All it takes is a bit of work and putting things together.
    I was at the grocery store this morning, before the snow started. I was amazed to see the "platters" walking out of there. $19.95 for a platter of carrot sticks, celery sticks and some grape tomatoes with a tiny bit of dip. A shrimp platter - nicely arranged in a circle with some cocktail sauce in the middle. Could have made both at home for lot less than the price of one of them.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pingo, love the olive idea; never thought of it myself.

This might not be something you'd want to do all the time, but I do make a wonderful (if I do say so) liver/bacon/onions.  For just my husband and me, the meat costs about $2.00.  So, for $7 (for meat) you could serve 6 people.  2 slices of bacon per, and a few onions.  I'd say the party could be done for under $20.  Of course, you'd have to find out ahead of time if your guests like chicken liver.  It's an underrated main dish, I think!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ginger-. Show Ginger-'s posts

Kar - couldn't agree more.  Love, love, love liver and onions, but my family balks at the smell, so it's been boycotted here!  I'd be happy to share in your leftovers!

Spiral cut ham (look for sales) doctored up with a bourbon/brown sugar glaze, home made mac and cheese, and a salad.  Couldn't have been simpler and the mac and cheese was such a big hit that I ended up serving the back-up batch I had planned to use the next day.

A friend served pizzas using dough that she purchased from Bertucci's.  She pre-made all kinds of toppings (sauteed onions, mushrooms, red peppers, etc), those of us that had pizza stones brought them, and she baked small individualized pizzas.  Very informal and fun.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Like I said before, the 4 of us would get along great. Mr. P and I love liver. But I usually make fried liver with slices of beef or calf liver - (would use pork liver too, but I have never seen it in the stores). I dredge them in seasoned flour, than pan fry them for a few minutes on each side. And of course serve them with plenty of fried onions. In fact, I just realized I use plenty of onions while cooking. Keeps my asthma at bay, I think.
    My boys never liked (maybe I should say never wanted to eat) liver. My adventurous son, who has travelled plenty to off-beat countries has eaten alligator, snake (says both taste like chicken, but are more tender), fried bulls testicles and a lot more. He has even eaten raw chicken liver in Japan and told us it was "heavenly". But when I mention fried liver, he wrinkle his nose. I think is is all in his and everyone else's mind.
    Chicken livers I usually make into a pate of some sort (adding a bit of cognac) and serve it with crackers. Cheap, inexpensive appetizer! But you are right, not many people will eat it, if they know what it is. I just don't tell, until they ask. But by then, they have usually finished the entire bowl.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmm, pingo, we are kindred spirits, DHs, too, as mine asks for liver fairly often.  I also dredge, season, and fry.  The onions and bacon go in another pan (bacon first to render it's fat for the onions to cook in) then for the last minute I toss all together. 

Oh, that's another great idea for a cheap but rich and delicious app - pate!!  I'd love your recipe if you'd give it up. ;)  Do you serve it at room temp or cold?